PDA

View Full Version : My hair wonít detangle.....arrrgh!

Flossiebell
October 22nd, 2017, 03:37 PM
Hi all

Iíve been finger combing my hair all night trying to get tangles out, then moved onto a wide tooth comb, yet there is never a point where I run my fingers or a comb through my hair without it getting snagged on knots! Is this because I donít use silicone (am trying to keep hair moisturised)? I had to stop in the end because I got fed up. Doesnít matter if I start at bottom or not 🙁

I had lush r&b leave in on my hair and a good layer of evoo too. Does this mean my hair needs silicones? What do you guys think?

Dark40
October 22nd, 2017, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I would get silicones for my hair. I use them all of the time. But only once or twice a week, and also get you a good detangling leave-in product as well. Something like, Mane N Tail. They have an excellent detangler!!! My mom uses it for her hair after every wash, and she has very thick knotted hair when it's wet.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
Maybe try a good leave-in product after every wash. And yes, after my hair got to BSL I switched to silicone-based products because it became totally unmanageable.

Anje
October 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Have you clarified the length recently? If not, I'd start with that. If that doesn't solve stuff, I'd look at protein-moisture balance and see if that needs fiddled with. Silicones are definitely useful, but sometimes there's an underlying problem that can be corrected so you don't need to band-aid it with silicones.

Jo Ann
October 22nd, 2017, 04:27 PM
Have you tried LOC? I had some tangle problems, until I added oil between the application of my leave-in conditioner and curl cream. The curl cream would leave my hair feeling drier, but using oil sure helped my hair remain tangle-free and moisturized!

Have you also worked out which routine your hair wants to follow? When I first started posting here, I came across a post by Lapushka that mentioned WCC--I was completely blown away at the idea I could use TWO conditioners when washing my hair! :shocked: That made a HUGE difference with how my hair behaved!

Joyful Mystery
October 22nd, 2017, 05:19 PM
I'd definitely try clarifying if you haven't tried that already.

For me, I notice my hair becomes a little more tangle-prone when I'm in my shedding season.

Flossiebell
October 23rd, 2017, 12:07 AM
Hmm......I clarified a couple of weeks ago, had a trim (inc layers) last month. Have tried loc, wcc, and it still doesnít want to behave. It feels like Iím constantly fighting against my hair. I wonder if my hair itself has changed, i donít remember it being quite like this before.

leayellena
October 23rd, 2017, 12:30 AM
Hmm......I clarified a couple of weeks ago, had a trim (inc layers) last month. Have tried loc, wcc, and it still doesnít want to behave. It feels like Iím constantly fighting against my hair. I wonder if my hair itself has changed, i donít remember it being quite like this before.

layers are such a hassle! they actually tangle hair more! since I am getting rid of layers and taper I can do some hairstyles!
oh and... fine hair IS tangly. I donīt know why fine hair is praised... probably people with short hair tend to praise anything that may lead you to shorten your hair. yeah fine hair = short hair (Sam Villa).

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 04:49 AM
I see you are at BSL too, which is the exact point my hair started to "mis-behave" aka tangle up. That is when I switched back to all the silicone products I had sorted out and set aside (never to be used again, but on my mom's hair). I quickly took them back, because my mom only washes her hair monthly, so she wouldn't be able to get through them much at all.

My "nonsense" (to me, don't get me wrong) with silicones and ingredients ended right then and there. Not to say that it is nonsense, but it was to me. I know *I* need sulfates and silicones and I should have realized it sooner.

That isn't to say you can't do it without silicones, but you might want to switch to heavier conditioners if you still can. The ones for dry and damaged hair (usually also with silicones) are the most moisturizing on the market, so you might fare better with those!

Flossiebell
October 23rd, 2017, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the advice all! Much appreciated, I thought I was going mad haha

I got some tresemme moisturising conditioner and tried it this morning, it has helped. Am struggling to find a good leave in though, Iíve got some Aussie stuff from ages ago that has never really done anything other than make my hair smell funny. Plus Iíve tried using normal conditioner, watered down, as a leave in and it just makes my hair go thick and very hard to get my fingers through never mind a comb.

Daft question but can I use a coney serum as a leave in? Or should I keep hunting for a good leave in to put under it?

Sorry for harping on but am desperate to get a handle on this because no matter how gently I handle my hair when I detangle I always end up with broken hair all around where Iím sitting :(

Flossiebell
October 23rd, 2017, 05:35 AM
Oh and yes, I agree...layers are a hassle. I canít wait for them to grow out!

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 06:21 AM
I have layers, have had them... goodness, long! I never have issues with too many tangles. Lately my hair is more tangly because I am having to use up lesser first Cs in WCC, but they have to be used up too. I condition twice, and it helps. It might weigh your hair down, but it might also be a good thing to try out. :flower:

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 06:29 AM
Oh, before I forget... what means of detangling do you use? A WT comb, or brush? Tangle Teezer, wet brush? They might help.

Flossiebell
October 23rd, 2017, 06:52 AM
I use a wide tooth comb, I am wary of using my tangle teezer because it pulls lots of hair out and Iím not sure that they are all loose hairs to start with. It sounds (my ex says) like Iím brushing a carpet! Plus it makes the hair near my scalp go greasy which is weird because Iíve always had normal/dry hair. Not to mention the fact that I always always end up throwing it around the bathroom because I canít seem to use it without dropping it! Sorry....rant over lol

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 06:55 AM
I use a wide tooth comb, I am wary of using my tangle teezer because it pulls lots of hair out and I’m not sure that they are all loose hairs to start with. It sounds (my ex says) like I’m brushing a carpet! Plus it makes the hair near my scalp go greasy which is weird because I’ve always had normal/dry hair. Not to mention the fact that I always always end up throwing it around the bathroom because I can’t seem to use it without dropping it! Sorry....rant over lol

I use my WT comb before washing, to detangle, then I go over it with a TT (a handful of hair comes out). Then I wash my hair and watch more come out in the strainer (about a handful). After that it gets put up into a towel for 30 min. After that and right before styling, I detangle once more with my WT comb (and again a handful comes out).

Maybe detangle before you wash as well, if you don't do that already? It saves your drain, so it's always a good thing. :)

pailin
October 23rd, 2017, 08:17 AM
I know the tangleteezer is supposed to be pretty gentle, but I always lost more hair with that than with a wide tooth comb. For me, enough moisture is really key- these days, I use my personal holy grail conditioner, twice, and then I use a couple drops of mineral oil in the shower. After it comes out of the towel I add a silicone serum. In the US in the winter I use a leave-in before the serum, but I don't need that here (hot and humid).
The second key for me is not to detangle until my hair is dry (ie, the next morning). Detangling wet is frustrating because every tangle I get out seems to generate more. And then I still have to detangle it dry later anyway or it looks like I didn't comb my hair at all (I know you're not supposed to comb wavy hair wet, but my hair just laughs at that wisdom. I put it up for a bit or braid it for while, and as long as I am using enough moisture, that takes care of the combing frizz if I decide to wear it down).
For me, enough moisture plus detangling only when dry has made my hair less tangly, at tailbone, than it has practically ever been.
Of course if I wear it down it needs some extra work, but that's normal.

CarmenJones
October 23rd, 2017, 08:40 AM
Silicones are useful, but sometimes there's an underlying problem that can be corrected so you don't need to band-aid it with silicones.

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 09:41 AM
Silicones are useful, but sometimes there's an underlying problem that can be corrected so you don't need to band-aid it with silicones.

For me, it definitely was the lack of silicones and the need for more moisture (thicker conditioners). I definitely started to condition twice at that point. YMMV, of course! :)

Jo Ann
October 23rd, 2017, 11:10 AM
I've had good luck with OGX Coconut Milk Serum and OGX Argan Oil Serum. A word of caution, though--a little goes an awful long way! Others swear by Garnier Sleek and Shine Serum, too!

CarmenJones
November 4th, 2017, 05:45 AM
If you want hair extension and wigs visit MY SPAM SITE

Wildcat Diva
November 4th, 2017, 08:38 AM
If you want hair extension and wigs visit SPAM, SPAM, SPAM Dot COM!
Heh. Didn’t you just say that exactly in your previous post? But without the endorsement at the end? And I’m confused. Nobody was talking about extensions or wigs.

Flowerness
November 4th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I love using a coney serum or oil as a leave in. Or, you can layer it on top of a leave-in conditioner. I was actually reminded of when I had a horrible time with tangles. I'd gotten an inexpensive detangling spray to use in my hair (hey, it smelled awesome!). I figured at least it would be a coney spray, and would weigh my hair down, at the worst. Nope! Instead of making my hair smooth and tangle free, my hair became so knotted and snarled that I couldn't move a comb through it at all! I had to clarify and deep condition. Voila! No more tangles. (It was all because of the spray!) So, if the tangles were sudden, and coincided with a new product...? When all else fails, I clarify, use an SMT and deep condition. Then, I dust the ends, and use lots of oil on my length before washing, and a good amount of coney serum/oil afterwords. Works like a charm. Like a reset for your hair!

Good luck!

spidermom
November 4th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I do love using a coney serum as a leave-in. It almost seems to make tangles fall out like magic.

I find it's far more important to comb from most shallow to deeper than from the bottom up. Some tangles turn into knots if you tug at them from the bottom. I tend to start combing with the teeth of my comb barely into my hair, then go deeper as the tangles are resolved. I did this when my hair was longer, too.

It's also beneficial to comb your hair out when it's full of conditioner or as you're rinsing. Then be careful not to mess it all around, and it will dry relatively tangle free.