PDA

View Full Version : Protein or Moisture?

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 03:17 PM
My hair has been super dry and the ends just snap off. I am pretty gentle with my hair (not the MOST gentle i'll admit) but I dont know if I need more moisture or MORE protein. about 2inches down is where the ends just start snapping off. I did a mayo,eggyolk and olive oil mask for a hour and it felt much better. And I know there is protein in eggyolkk..So maybe thats what I need?

How do you tell the difference with that your hair needs. I dont want to cut 2 inches off my head but if thats what it takes, then back tracking is where I must go.
I use gentle Tangle teezer/Wet brushes and lots of hair detangling products because my hair is like a birds nest all the time.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2017, 03:23 PM
I think egg molecules are too large to penetrate in order to get real protein benefits from that.

If it's dry and brittle and snaps off, it lacks elasticity so you need moisture. If it's too elastic, it needs protein.

Do you do any chemical treatments on your hair, or use heat, at all?

Dark40
October 22nd, 2017, 03:36 PM
It sounds like your hair needs more moisture than protein. The way you can tell what your hair needs is if your ends are dry and snapping off you need moisture, and if your is shedding a lot it needs more protein.

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 03:46 PM
No chemicals been dye free for almost 2 years. And I only blow dry but not super intensely. And yeah the ends of my hair with the slightest tug just snap. I have very very fine hair. And ill keep that in mind about the egg molecules

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 03:48 PM
My hair does just snap off...But I do shed a lot. But that is most likely a hormonal issue. Ive had hormonal imbalances for years that increase my hair fall. I was almost bald a few years back. Its gotten much better, still not where id like to be. My scalp is still very visible...So maybe im lacking both?? What are the best at home protein or moisture treatments. I know everyone here loves a good SMT

Dark40
October 22nd, 2017, 03:55 PM
I used to have hormonal imbalances for many years as well. But over the years mine has gotten better too. I have never gotten to the point of being bald but I would shed a lot. Yeah, I know whatcha mean about not where you would like for it to be. Yeah, a good SMT treatment would help. I do light protein treatments once a week. One day I would use a light protein/moisture conditioner since I do use chemicals on my hair, and then another day during the week I will use a plain old deep moisturizing conditioner or mask, and that works my hair lots of wonders!

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 04:07 PM
How often can I use a SMT?

Dark40
October 22nd, 2017, 04:10 PM
I don't know too much about a SMT treatment. I've just heard of them on here.

Anje
October 22nd, 2017, 04:11 PM
Snappy, not stretchy, when wet? Definitely sounds like you need moisture.
Good guide for this: http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/moisture-and-protein-maintaining-the-balance

I've done it daily or every wash when it was bad. Just COed with SMT mix.

Jo Ann
October 22nd, 2017, 04:12 PM

Your hair probably responded more to the oils in the olive oil and mayo, which made it feel better.

I've done SMT once a week with no problem--but try to avoid conditioners with protein(s) high on the list. I've gotten better results with SMTs by using conditioning balms or those with cones low in the list and avoiding proteins as much as possible.

Good luck, Synester!

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 07:18 PM
So i took one hair strand and stretched it for a good while...it seemed pretty elastic then when i let go it looked all weird and coily and kinked up. i i pulled more it would have snapped. And what brands do u used for your SMT? i would say my hair is "bad" right now

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 07:18 PM
ok avoid protein...seek moisture lol will try to do. Do you have any other favorite moisture treatments for super dry brittle hair.

Jo Ann
October 22nd, 2017, 09:42 PM
I like Shea Moisture's Intense Hydration Conditioner (can also be used as a leave-in), Shea Moisture's Strengthen and Grow Leave-in (the one with JBCO), Sally Beauty's GVP version of the Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm, Joico K-Pak Reconstructor treatment, Wal-Mart's Nature Valley Argan Oil Serum (lightweight oil blend), the LOC/LCO method (thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167 ) can help your hair hold moisture. I WCC, and use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration as my second conditioner.

For SMT, I have tried and like the Sally Beauty's GVP version of the Matrix Conditioning Balm. I'll be trying the Shea Moisture Intense Hydration conditioner and the Joico K-Pak reconstructor conditoners over the next couple of months and see how well they do as a SMT--I like what they do for my hair as conditioners. I also follow my SMT with Hello Hydration conditioner--it's saved me more than a few times when I used a conditioner for a SMT when the results were less than stellar.

Synester
October 22nd, 2017, 11:25 PM
i've heard way too many good things about Shea Moisture I gotta start buying it. thankyou for that info!

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 05:38 AM
I WCC, so I use *any* conditioner as my first C, often Pantene, some unknown cheaper brand like Hegron (Action discount store here in Belgium), Dove, whathaveyou. Then as a second C, I use the HE Hello Hydration (just like Jo Ann) and it is my HG conditioner. It does have a smidge of protein in it, though.

The key is, to use balanced conditioners and then you'll never have an issue with that protein/moisture balance. At least, I don't. If you start using solely protein, or solely moisture conditioners (usually the specialized brands), then that's a little more difficult to handle.

What are you using now?

Dark40
October 23rd, 2017, 12:26 PM
The kind of products I love to use for protein/moisture balance is ORS Replenishing Conditioner. I use that once a week, and I also never have any issues either. The ORS Replenishing Conditoner has half protein and half moisture in it.

Jo Ann
October 23rd, 2017, 01:38 PM
Lapushka, in all honesty, YOU got me started with Hello Hydration! Thank you for that :)

It's all your fault :p