View Full Version : Post-Protein Help!?

girlwithsixarms
October 22nd, 2017, 09:08 AM
So after trying out a deep conditioning treatment yesterday, I now know that my hair Does Not Like Protein. Lessons have been learned.

At the moment, things are crispy, with a side order of splits and breakage. Tangles and flyaways abound. It's best if we don't even get into the shedding.

The question I have is: what should I do to help my hair and not aggravate it any further? Should I leave it alone until it's time for my next wash and then proceed as normal? Do a protein-free moisture treatment ASAP? Wait and do a protein-free moisture treatment? Beg my hair for forgiveness and leave it alone for as long as possible?

My current routine is to wash every 4 days or so (I am a very sweaty individual) - light oil the night before, wash in the morning with sulfate free shampoo, condition, light balm on my ends after and then detangler and sometimes airing powder on the in between days to keep things from getting out of hand.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Andthetalltrees
October 22nd, 2017, 10:14 AM
My hair reacts horribly to protein as well. The few times I've gotten really bad protein overload I have basically proceeded as normal for me (wcc) just making sure I use very moisturizing products. I've heard that you're suppose to do a moisture treatment immediately after protein, So if you want to do that it probably won't hurt anything.

Jo Ann
October 22nd, 2017, 10:41 AM
I would do a CO wash with a very moisturizing conditioner, followed by a HG conditioner (put another way, wash with a moisturizing conditioner followed by another moisturizing conditioner--think WCC without the "W"), then lightly oil while your hair is damp. Lightly oil your hair as needed, at least once/day, until your regular wash day.

When I did a SMT and the conditioner used was loaded with protein and my hair was all tangled and knotted, I jumped BACK into the shower and used my HG conditioner (Hello Hydration) immediately! I then followed up with a light oiling and then lightly oiled twice/day until midweek (I wash my hair once/week) and then did a CO wash, followed by my HG conditioner, lightly oiling my hair at least once/day to tide me over until it was WCC day.

Hope this helps!

lapushka
October 22nd, 2017, 11:20 AM
If it's really brittle and dry and you can't possibly wait, I would re-wet the lengths (not wash), and ear-down put a nice moisturizing conditioner.

Anje
October 22nd, 2017, 04:21 PM
My treatment for over-proteined hair is to do an SMT. Maybe even multiple ones, every day or two, until the hair feels normal again. It really helped me when I accidentally gave myself some bad protein overload. :) There's a link in my signature.

girlwithsixarms
October 26th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the advice everyone! I tried out an SMT and it worked wonders! (I am now a full-on convert) I also made enough for two 'doses' and then had this conversation with my boyfriend:

Me: I'm putting this in the fridge, but it's a hair thing, not a food thing so please don't try to eat it.
Him: skeptical look
Me: It's not poisonous, I just need it for my hair
Him:...uh huh

Jo Ann
October 26th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Don't you just :crush: men?

:toast: