PDA

View Full Version : Wigs, wigs... I dig wigs.

Beckstar
October 22nd, 2017, 12:18 AM
Yep, I've started wearing wigs until my hair grows out. It's fun, makes me feel good, gives me choices, and keeps me from the temptation of dyeing my hair.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2017, 03:53 AM
It beats having to "do" your hair. ;) Although you need to take real good care of your hair if you're a wig-wearer! Good for you! :flower:

hennared
October 22nd, 2017, 08:48 PM
ME TOO.

Glad to see another member embracing wigs as an option, here on this forum! I have been a member here since ~before~ thyroid/age related hair loss caused me to seek wigs as a means to protect my hair and 'hide' it from its increasing fragility and thinness. I have come to embrace them as a means to keep me growing my hair longer while I keep it 'under wraps'.
It works for me.

_anya
October 22nd, 2017, 09:14 PM
Although I've never worn wigs on the regular (but I totally would if I actually owned any of decent quality), I absolutely LOVE THEM and if I were braver, I'd rock them all the time. Simply love them and always have. Hmmm...maybe I just well might do so this year! Go you!!!! :cheer:

Where do you buy your wigs and what do you usually look for in one before purchasing?

One a side note, I always loved my grandma's hair. When she died (RIP), we realized she'd been wearing mostly wigs for the past few decades (or even longer??) and we had absolutely NO IDEA as they looked so real and she took amazing care of them. But her confidence in wearing wigs was what probably most helped in tricking us all. Miss her.

lapushka
October 23rd, 2017, 06:37 AM
My mom used to have 2 with short hair when she was pregnant with me, so in the 70s. It was "modern" then to wear wigs. Later on, when I was growing up, I used to play with them (before I was a teen).

Anje
October 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM
I've tried a cheap one or two, but they look horrible on me. I think it's partly the bangs, which do NOT look OK on me, ever. Why do almost all wigs have bangs!??!?!??

H o n є y ❤
October 23rd, 2017, 11:54 AM
Wigs are awesome. Like you said, they give you so many opportunities to change your style as frequently as you want!

samanthaa
October 23rd, 2017, 01:30 PM
I've tried a cheap one or two, but they look horrible on me. I think it's partly the bangs, which do NOT look OK on me, ever. Why do almost all wigs have bangs!??!?!??

I'm guessing it's to hide the hairline? It probably takes great makeup skills to blend the sudden edge of a wig into your forehead.

Beckstar
October 23rd, 2017, 03:22 PM
Although I've never worn wigs on the regular (but I totally would if I actually owned any of decent quality), I absolutely LOVE THEM and if I were braver, I'd rock them all the time. Simply love them and always have. Hmmm...maybe I just well might do so this year! Go you!!!! :cheer:

Where do you buy your wigs and what do you usually look for in one before purchasing?

One a side note, I always loved my grandma's hair. When she died (RIP), we realized she'd been wearing mostly wigs for the past few decades (or even longer??) and we had absolutely NO IDEA as they looked so real and she took amazing care of them. But her confidence in wearing wigs was what probably most helped in tricking us all. Miss her.
I've bought 2 synthetic wigs from a local wig shop. Racquel Welch and Paula Young brands - both chin length bobs with bangs. $130 and $99. They're heat resistant to 340 degrees. I took pictures in the wig shop and texted them to my husband.
He's very honest about if they look good or not. I'm not trying to pass it off as my real hair but I also don't want to look ridiculous. I'm happy with them.

I ordered 2 online for $67 and $24.99. the $67 wig isn't bad except its all one length (waist). I'm going to take it to hair dresser to have side-swept bangs cut and 3-4" cut from the bottom. The part line on the scalp isn't too bad. I'm probably going to wear headbands with it. It's a little shiny but not plastic looking like doll hair. Ordered on Amazon.

The $24 wig? Dont know yet because it hasn't arrived. Ordered on Amazon.

I'd suggest going and trying on wigs and take an honest person with you or someone you can text pictures to. No returns after you leave with shop. At least Amazon has a great return policy and doesn't charge return fees.

Other wig websites won't take returns or will charge a restock fee.
I'd love human hair wigs but 300$ + for short is too much. I've had the chin length wigs for 2 months and I wear them every day. Make sure to really care for your scalp and give it extra tlc. The more expensive wigs seem to have better lining. I don't like lace front wigs and prefer a full cap.

I have a small head and have not had issue with fit yet. The cheaper wig is bigger but has an adjustment strap.

Watch YouTube videos on how to make wigs look better. You really can do a lot with wigs.

maborosi
October 23rd, 2017, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted to wear a wig. It's kind of weird considering my hair is pretty long now, but sometimes I'd love to just wear a wig to have a different style for a day.
Like short hair- I used to have a black, chin-length bob and I thought it'd be fun to revisit it.

checkuponit
October 23rd, 2017, 07:15 PM
I'm starting to do some research on wigs, as my hair is thinning quickly and I feel I may have to wear them sometime in the not-too-distant future. Wondering if it's hot/uncomfortable to wear all day? And how do you handle caring for your scalp underneath?

MotherofJames
October 23rd, 2017, 09:33 PM
I have left oil treatments on (wrapped in a net or cellphane wrap)and then put a wig and a hat on and went about my day, silently getting healthy and happy hair and not damaging it in the process as I go about my day

Beckstar
October 23rd, 2017, 11:27 PM
The $24 wig looks horrible. The back and sides are ok but the bangs look fake and there's not enough hair to cover the cap. I received it today and I'm returning it tomorrow

Coral Grimes
October 24th, 2017, 02:43 AM
I have left oil treatments on (wrapped in a net or cellphane wrap)and then put a wig and a hat on and went about my day, silently getting healthy and happy hair and not damaging it in the process as I go about my day

I may have to try this! I have a couple of cheap wigs I got on amazon and I have just ordered my first lace front from Webster Wigs. I wear them for the crazy colours I can't get my hair since I stopped bleaching.

Mersticks
October 27th, 2017, 04:05 PM
I'm wondering if climate affects the comfort of wigs a whole lot. I currently live in a cool area and think it could feel okay to wear a wig out of the house, but I also spend a lot of time further south where it is super hot and humid. I remember wearing wigs in the past for cosplay purposes in the hot climate and I was always itching to take it off just to be able to cool down.

I've considered getting a wig a few times now, but I'm just not sure if I'm comfortable with it yet, mostly physically, a little psychologically. The price tag for full lace wigs is a bit intimidating for me, maybe I should just start smaller.

For longer synthetic wigs, has anyone ever had too much trouble keeping them in good shape?