PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Bar Reccomendations?

lottiealice
October 21st, 2017, 12:54 AM
Right now I'm using Lush's 'New' shampoo bar because I love the cinnamon/clove scent and how it gives my hair some volume but I saw a comment earlier (browsing old threads regarding thickening up one's hair) about 'proper' shampoo bars as 'opposed to Lush' and wondered are they that bad? I'd also like to try out others if they are. What are your recommendations?

Nique1202
October 21st, 2017, 04:44 AM
The main thing you should be concerned with is, does the shampoo you're using make you like your hair? If so, then as long as you don't disagree with Lush as a company, you should keep using it.

The long version: Lush shampoo bars are basically a sulfate shampoo similar to what's on the shelf at the grocery store only with different scent ingredients, concentrated into a solid. Some people think that's disingenuous, when other people are making bars of actual soap (like, lye-and-oil traditional soap) that are intended for use on hair, and it can be confusing for both to market themselves as shampoo bars when they're not the same thing. Some people also don't agree with Lush's marketing tactics or with their use of labels like "natural" since a lot of the ingredients they use are artificial (including the sulfates in their shampoos).

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 06:26 AM
Yes a Lush bar isn't a "real" shampoo bar; in fact, it is a "detergent bar", made with sulfates like any other store-bought drugstore shampoo out there.

Nini
October 21st, 2017, 06:50 AM
I love Chagrin Valley soap bars. Not for my hair, since it doesn't really work that well for me. But it's the only soap bars I keep around the house. Well, I've tried others over the years, but I haven't found any I like as much.

Neoma
October 21st, 2017, 09:15 AM
I, too, am fond of Chagrin Valley shampoo bars.

The brand that I prefer is SweetCreekSoap (https://www.etsy.com/shop/SweetCreekSoap?ref=l2-shop-info-name&section_id=5660546). I find that they are more cleansing than Chagrin Valley and that I often don't need to use an acid (vinegar or lemon juice) rinse or conditioner afterwards.

Isobibbel
October 21st, 2017, 10:00 AM
Yes a Lush bar isn't a "real" shampoo bar; in fact, it is a "detergent bar", made with sulfates like any other store-bought drugstore shampoo out there.

BETRAYAL! Oh man, I really like some of those solid shampoo things. been toying with trying sls and silicone free, but struggling to find something accessible and reasonably priced

Stevy
October 21st, 2017, 12:09 PM
I really like Aromawakening on Etsy's shampoo bars. The Hemp and Honey suits my hair exactly, and she also has vegan options.

http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Aromawakening

Unfortunately for me, she's taking a break right now (for a happy reason! Maternity leave) so I'm hoping the bars I have saved up will see me through to the new year.

Zebra
October 21st, 2017, 12:58 PM
If you like Lush and it works for you I don't see why you should change your routine. Unless you want to explore a bit.

I have used shampoo bars and bar soap for a long time. I used them when I had long hair too. I haven't noticed any difference between shampoo bars and good bar soap so I just use bar soap. There are some differences in their oil contents but for me it doesn't matter. I usually just get something cheap and simple with no nonsense. It works for the whole body. When my hair was longer I did a vinegar rinse after washing but my short hair doesn't need that.

Nique1202
October 21st, 2017, 04:50 PM

It's shampoo in bar form. It's more of a shampoo bar than soap bars, if you look at it that way, since soap bars are soap. While we may have used soap for thousands of years on our hair, it's not necessarily better in any particular way, it just suits the needs of some people better.

Afanen
October 21st, 2017, 08:07 PM
I like to try out some on etsy, I don't use them very often because I have hard water but my favorite has been the Arctic Mermaid bar from EvergreenSoapwerx. Such a pretty smell and not as gunky feeling as other bars I've tried.
With "real" shampoo bars, you might want to keep some diluted ACV ready in your bathroom because they don't always rinse out and might leave your hair feeling gummy. It eventually adjusts but some people's hair takes longer than others.

lapushka
October 22nd, 2017, 04:02 AM
It's shampoo in bar form. It's more of a shampoo bar than soap bars, if you look at it that way, since soap bars are soap. While we may have used soap for thousands of years on our hair, it's not necessarily better in any particular way, it just suits the needs of some people better.

Well tomato tomato, potato potato, you know? :)

I guess to me it's just detergent in solid form, which doesn't make it a shampoo bar in its traditional form (as people mean it here). Which is why I wanted to explain the difference. :flower: