PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here use shea butter mix?

longmane
October 20th, 2017, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone :) I'm interested to know if any of you guys use shea butter. What is you routine and what difference it made to your hair since you started using it. I've discovered shea butter so far I like it!

Lizzie.torp
October 20th, 2017, 11:55 PM
I use shea butter when my ends get dry. I'll dampen them and put the shea butter on just the last inch or so. My hair is 2b-ish and it surprising doesn't weigh it down if I use it sparingly.

pailin
October 21st, 2017, 12:01 AM
Hmm, I've mixed shea butter with a little oil to thin it, but currently I've been mixing with a bit of lanolin ad a few drops of vitamin e oil. Too sticky for combing though. Actually I usually use it for my hands, but when I braid I like to use a little in my hair. Only on dry hair after detangling. Seems to leave my hair nicer than oils, and reduces the braid shred too. I wah daily though, so I'm not too concerned about buildup.

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 03:27 PM
Pure straight up SB is too much for me. I love mineral oil way more. I love SB in mixes though, like when products contain SB, I generally love them a lot. But pure? No. Not for me.

Afanen
October 21st, 2017, 03:51 PM
Me! I have a salve type mix that I use on the ends of my hair overnight, outside during cold/windy weather, and on my scalp if it's dry as a prepoo treatment. I sort of just made the recipe up as I went along, but it's 2 parts unrefined yellow shea butter to 1 part coconut oil with lavender EO for scent and rosemary extract as a preservative. Just melted together in a cup in the microwave, left in the freezer for about 20 minutes to partially solidify, then blended together with a fork. I have pretty fine/thin slightly wavy hair and I don't need much for it. It also makes a really good cuticle cream lol. You could probably make a whip with the same ingredients and that'd be a lot lighter, I just don't have a mixer for it.

longmane
October 21st, 2017, 06:22 PM
Pure straight up SB is too much for me. I love mineral oil way more. I love SB in mixes though, like when products contain SB, I generally love them a lot. But pure? No. Not for me.

Pure shea butter is too heavy for my hair too. I mix it with oil until it has a consistency similar to that coconut oil at room temperature.

longmane
October 21st, 2017, 06:26 PM
Me! I have a salve type mix that I use on the ends of my hair overnight, outside during cold/windy weather, and on my scalp if it's dry as a prepoo treatment. I sort of just made the recipe up as I went along, but it's 2 parts unrefined yellow shea butter to 1 part coconut oil with lavender EO for scent and rosemary extract as a preservative. Just melted together in a cup in the microwave, left in the freezer for about 20 minutes to partially solidify, then blended together with a fork. I have pretty fine/thin slightly wavy hair and I don't need much for it. It also makes a really good cuticle cream lol. You could probably make a whip with the same ingredients and that'd be a lot lighter, I just don't have a mixer for it.

I make it the same way, melt the ingredients together then put it the freezer. That's interesting I thought it would be the same whether whipped or melted. I'm going to look into whipping.

Obsidian
October 21st, 2017, 07:21 PM
I made a body butter that was mostly shea with some olive oil and coconut oil. Was really thick and greasy but a tiny bit on my ends made them super soft and frizz free. Its definitely one of my favorites but I think when I start using oils again, I'll thin it down a lot with a light oil.

ghanima
October 22nd, 2017, 04:59 AM
I've experimented with SB but I had to conclude that it was too much for me too.
I wonder if you're aware of Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586)?

longmane
October 23rd, 2017, 06:12 PM
I've experimented with SB but I had to conclude that it was too much for me too.
I wonder if you're aware of Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586)?

I didn't know about it. I think it is similar to the mixture I use except it has conditioner in it. I'm wondering if adding conditioner to the mixture will make it go bad quicker? Or if the mixture is made before each application. I usually keep my shea butter mix for 3-4 months So I don't add anything water based (like conditioner). Thanks for mentioning, I'm still experimenting so I'll look into Fox's SB conditioning cream.

Rockin' Gramma
October 24th, 2017, 02:10 PM
I'll sometimes use a small amount of straight shea butter to hold the front of the ears sections on my bob a bit better. Those sections really want to wave backward, but after blow drying them straight, the shea butter sometimes helps hold them. But not always ... I also mix shea butter with coconut oil for moisturizing feet and hands at night, and then dab the leftover in my hair.

ghanima
October 25th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I didn't know about it. I think it is similar to the mixture I use except it has conditioner in it. I'm wondering if adding conditioner to the mixture will make it go bad quicker? Or if the mixture is made before each application. I usually keep my shea butter mix for 3-4 months So I don't add anything water based (like conditioner). Thanks for mentioning, I'm still experimenting so I'll look into Fox's SB conditioning cream.
I tried to use shea butter alone or mixed with other oils and on my hair it was difficult to apply, maybe you'll have better luck.
I think I kept my Fox Shea Butter Cream for 2 months and nothing weird happened - conditioners must contain something that doesn't let them go bad. They also contain emulsifiers, which allows for the mixture to be really easy to make. As usual with shea butter that's melted, the cream gets way more solid in time, don't know why, so you may have to add conditioner later on, or do it in small batches, which is no big deal as really, you mix it all with the spoon, it"s super-easy.