PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying and Sensitive Skin

Joyful Mystery
October 19th, 2017, 02:49 PM
I always read about people clarifying and then being able to go back to what they were using. I can't seem to do that. Once I've clarified and try to go back to what I was using, my hair doesn't respond to it anymore. I have to switch to something different for awhile. Anyone else have this problem?

I also have very sensitive skin and the usual clarifying shampoos cause my skin to react. How do those you with sensitive skin deal with build-up?

Beeboo123
October 19th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I have really sensitive skin too. It really helps when I use shampoos (non-clarifying, just a daily shampoo) that are pH5.5. Baking soda and ACV rinses are out of the question for me, they cause my eczema to flare up. I still haven't found any clarifying shampoo that with that pH, but I find that Paul Mitchell Shampoo 2 does not caise too much irritation.

Joyful Mystery
October 19th, 2017, 04:12 PM
I have really sensitive skin too. It really helps when I use shampoos (non-clarifying, just a daily shampoo) that are pH5.5. Baking soda and ACV rinses are out of the question for me, they cause my eczema to flare up. I still haven't found any clarifying shampoo that with that pH, but I find that Paul Mitchell Shampoo 2 does not caise too much irritation.

Thank you for your response :blossom: Yes, baking soda and vinegar rinses are out for me, too. I'll have to look into that Paul Mitchell shampoo you mentioned. I don't think I've tried that one before.

lithostoic
October 19th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I can't clarify either. When I say I'm clarifying, it means I'm washing everything from root to tip, with my regular nonsulfate shampoo!

Joyful Mystery
October 19th, 2017, 04:43 PM
I can't clarify either. When I say I'm clarifying, it means I'm washing everything from root to tip, with my regular nonsulfate shampoo!

Glad to know I'm not alone! Do you have to switch up your products to avoid build-up?

Corvana
October 19th, 2017, 05:25 PM
When I clarify, I'm just using my regular (sulfatey) shampoo at full strength and washing root to tip. I don't currently have so many items in my routine that build up for this to not work for me. But it only started working when I swapped to a shampoo with both SLS and SLES. Just one or the other isn't strong enough for me to be able to dilute my shampoo and have it still work well, but both and undiluted strips my hair super well (which is why it's on "buildup only" patrol lol).

I wash once or twice a week, use coney conditioners and a leave in with cones as well.

lithostoic
October 19th, 2017, 05:35 PM
Glad to know I'm not alone! Do you have to switch up your products to avoid build-up?

Nope!

Joyful Mystery
October 19th, 2017, 06:21 PM
When I clarify, I'm just using my regular (sulfatey) shampoo at full strength and washing root to tip. I don't currently have so many items in my routine that build up for this to not work for me. But it only started working when I swapped to a shampoo with both SLS and SLES. Just one or the other isn't strong enough for me to be able to dilute my shampoo and have it still work well, but both and undiluted strips my hair super well (which is why it's on "buildup only" patrol lol).

I wash once or twice a week, use coney conditioners and a leave in with cones as well.

Nope!

I was able to go a year with my current shampoo and conditioner. It's specifically made for sensitive skin and doesn't contain any sulfates, silicones, oils, proteins, etc. I've noticed recently it's finally causing build-up. I don't use any other products, just these. Most, if not all, sulfates irritate the heck out of my skin.

Corvana
October 19th, 2017, 06:59 PM
I was able to go a year with my current shampoo and conditioner. It's specifically made for sensitive skin and doesn't contain any sulfates, silicones, oils, proteins, etc. I've noticed recently it's finally causing build-up. I don't use any other products, just these. Most, if not all, sulfates irritate the heck out of my skin.

I wonder if you were to find another one that you like, if you were to swap between your current and the new one every (other) week/month if that would make it better?

Joyful Mystery
October 19th, 2017, 11:08 PM
I wonder if you were to find another one that you like, if you were to swap between your current and the new one every (other) week/month if that would make it better?

That's what I use to do. Whenever I'd experience build-up, I'd switch up my products. I'm definitely going back to doing that. It just amazes me that others can just clarify once or twice and then continue on using what they were before. I can't do that. A few days ago I ordered 2 new shampoos and a new conditioner, things I've tried before and liked (and they don't bother my skin). My order arrived today and I washed and conditioned my hair with the new stuff tonight. So. Much. Better. My hair feels clean, light and soft.

lapushka
October 20th, 2017, 03:59 AM

Maybe washing once or twice with another shampoo will do it. Do you have another sulfate-free shampoo around that you could potentially use? Maybe keeping 2 sets of shampoo around won't be as bad, so if one stops working you can switch to the other one (maybe until it's gone).

Joyful Mystery
October 20th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Maybe washing once or twice with another shampoo will do it. Do you have another sulfate-free shampoo around that you could potentially use? Maybe keeping 2 sets of shampoo around won't be as bad, so if one stops working you can switch to the other one (maybe until it's gone).

That's what I'm planning on doing from now on. I'm a bit surprised I was able to go a year with what I was using before I started having issues. I ordered new stuff that I can switch between as needed. I used it last night and boy does my hair feel better (and no skin irritation)!

PixieP
October 20th, 2017, 01:00 PM
Where is your skin irritated? Is it your scalp, your face, body?

Joyful Mystery
October 20th, 2017, 01:14 PM
Where is your skin irritated? Is it your scalp, your face, body?

It's usually an all over intense itching. Some sulfates give me a rash and make me break out. I have it all under control as long as I choose my products carefully. I was just wondering how others with sensitive skin deal with clarifying.

ETA: It's probably more than just sulfates. I should just get an allergy test done or something. Some sulfate-free shampoos make me itch...OGX I'm looking at you.

Hairkay
October 20th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I occasionally do a mild vinegar rinse. I stay away from baking soda, that's much too harsh. My skin is too sensitive for shampoos. I used something the doc recommended for a while but that caused problems so eventually I stopped using that too. I went for the extreme minimalistic approach. I don't use manufactured hair products on my hair they'll cause skin irritation and an added benefit is that I'm not getting buildup from these products. All I have to content with is hard water but I'm used to that. I'll do DIY hair masks. I also use a tiny bit of oil on hair ends, that's it.

I've got eczema. The one place I always have one patch of it is on my fingers so I'm very wary what I touch. If I can't touch it without harm then I can't use it.

PixieP
October 20th, 2017, 03:08 PM
It's usually an all over intense itching. Some sulfates give me a rash and make me break out. I have it all under control as long as I choose my products carefully. I was just wondering how others with sensitive skin deal with clarifying.

ETA: It's probably more than just sulfates. I should just get an allergy test done or something. Some sulfate-free shampoos make me itch...OGX I'm looking at you.

Do you get the same if you wash your hair while standing outside the shower leaning in? Have you ever exerpienced the itching when you've just done a rinsing shower? (just jumped in the shower to cool down for example, not using any soap or anything). My skin is allergic to water (yep) and get intense itching and sometimes a rash when I shower. So I wash my hair by leaning into the shower, not getting water anywhere but my hands and head.

Hairkay
October 20th, 2017, 03:14 PM
Do you get the same if you wash your hair while standing outside the shower leaning in? Have you ever exerpienced the itching when you've just done a rinsing shower? (just jumped in the shower to cool down for example, not using any soap or anything). My skin is allergic to water (yep) and get intense itching and sometimes a rash when I shower. So I wash my hair by leaning into the shower, not getting water anywhere but my hands and head.

I get a painful reaction to just water sometimes but there's no rash with that so it's not a true allergy. It usually starts at my ears then scalp then spreads to the rest of my body. They call it aquagenic pruritus (water itch) but that's no itch for me, its stinging pains.

lucid
October 20th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Water triggers eczema in general, especially hot water.

I wash my hair without getting water (or at lest as little as possible) on the rest of my body, put a towl on my head and then I step into the shower again to wash my body and face.

Having wet hair for a prolonged time can irritate the scalp as well, so blow drying (on cold/not warm) the hair close to the scalp can also reduce itching a bit.

Hairkay
October 21st, 2017, 02:56 AM
Water triggers eczema in general, especially hot water.

I wash my hair without getting water (or at lest as little as possible) on the rest of my body, put a towl on my head and then I step into the shower again to wash my body and face.

Having wet hair for a prolonged time can irritate the scalp as well, so blow drying (on cold/not warm) the hair close to the scalp can also reduce itching a bit.

I don't think that's necessarily true that water itself triggers eczema with me. It is only the prolonged contact with water that will cause the natural oils in the skin to deplete and eczema prone skin is already on the dry side. This will make an outbreak most likely or if a rash is already present it will make it worse. I stay away from heat because that triggers the aquagenic pruritus with me. It could be just the heat from central heating as I step indoors from the cold outside, hot steam from a bath that I have yet to get it, or the hottest shower/bath. It's something to do with the quick change in temperatures from one extreme to the other that'll set the trigger off. At it's worse getting out of a nice warm cosy bed to a cold room set my skin on fire too.

lucid
October 21st, 2017, 04:17 AM
I can't talk especially for you of course, that's why I said in general (and I should have added that I was talking about people with atopic skin or eczema prone skin, not people with normal skin) :)

and yes, it's because of the drying effect of it and that people with eczema prone skin often have dry skin. Other triggers can be soap, or just touching raw meat or vegetables... there are lots of it, some more general than others.

I had a similar skin condition when i was little, but I have mostly grown out of it. My skin couldn't handle temperature changes and cold temperatures especially (wind, stepping indoors or outdoors, swimming ++) I got severe hives/urticaria from it, had to be on allergy meds constantly, which only helped a little. And it was super embarrassing walking to school and arriving with bumpy swollen face, and it itched and stinged as crazy and hurt when i got them on my hands or feet. They called it "cold allergy " or cold urticaria.

Hairkay
October 21st, 2017, 05:17 AM
I can't talk especially for you of course, that's why I said in general (and I should have added that I was talking about people with atopic skin or eczema prone skin, not people with normal skin) :)

and yes, it's because of the drying effect of it and that people with eczema prone skin often have dry skin. Other triggers can be soap, or just touching raw meat or vegetables... there are lots of it, some more general than others.

I had a similar skin condition when i was little, but I have mostly grown out of it. My skin couldn't handle temperature changes and cold temperatures especially (wind, stepping indoors or outdoors, swimming ++) I got severe hives/urticaria from it, had to be on allergy meds constantly, which only helped a little. And it was super embarrassing walking to school and arriving with bumpy swollen face, and it itched and stinged as crazy and hurt when i got them on my hands or feet. They called it "cold allergy " or cold urticaria.

I am atopic, I've got asthma and hayfever to go with the eczema I already mentioned a few posts earlier. The first time mother found eczema on me was at 6 months old. It then disappeared for much of my childhood until puberty hit. I've had it ever since. I'm allergic to soap so I don't use it for baths/shower. My mother had avoided strongly fragranced products as well as those with added colours or harsh products. She also discouraged the family from eating some food stuff because most of the family is atopic. I have various gloves at home for general cleaning as well as cooking. Most of my family grew out of allergies however that didn't happen with me. I grew into them (they got worse). The water itch thing appeared 5 years ago to add to everything.

lucid
October 21st, 2017, 07:22 AM
That sucks Hairkay, I'm sorry you have to struggle with that.

Almost of my allergies have gotten significantly better. I'm still on daily allergy meds because of my dust mite and pollen allergies, but it's still a lot better than it was when i was a kid. The only thing that's not gotten any better is my eczema, but I'm pretty good at keeping it under control.

Hairkay
October 21st, 2017, 08:54 AM
That sucks Hairkay, I'm sorry you have to struggle with that.

Almost of my allergies have gotten significantly better. I'm still on daily allergy meds because of my dust mite and pollen allergies, but it's still a lot better than it was when i was a kid. The only thing that's not gotten any better is my eczema, but I'm pretty good at keeping it under control.

I keep my eczema under control too most of the times, occasionally a flare up will happen. That's usually when I come into contact with an allergen. Most times I avoid dairy which helps.

Joyful Mystery
October 21st, 2017, 12:19 PM

I'm okay with water. I just seem to have a sensitivity to most products. I'm just not entirely sure what ingredients set me off. Sulfates are a trigger; I have to wear gloves when washing dishes. Also, some conditioners, lotions, soaps, body washes, etc. For the most part, I've found things I can use that don't bother me. Body and face care I have limited options but I really like what I use. I have rosacea as well and use the face wash my dermatologist recommended. Hair care I have a few options, but not much. It's all trial and error and the elimination process.

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 02:58 PM
I have extremely dry facial skin (no eczema), but I do have SD and sometimes that manifests on my face (ears, temples). Water dries my skin out so there is something to that.

I get so fed up with YTers claiming to have dry skin, claiming that wetting the beauty blender and then applying your foundation is such amazing relief for dry skin... and then here I am wondering about that... because even the slightest bit of water dries my skin out even further. Consider me totally puzzled by this. :?:

So yeah. I no longer wear make-up (cleansing is a chore and dries my skin out!) and I only rub water over my face in the morning. In the evening I just slap on my moisturizers. I know, I know... you might think that's gross. But it is what it is. I can't use water too much.

Joyful Mystery
October 21st, 2017, 03:44 PM
I have extremely dry facial skin (no eczema), but I do have SD and sometimes that manifests on my face (ears, temples). Water dries my skin out so there is something to that.

I get so fed up with YTers claiming to have dry skin, claiming that wetting the beauty blender and then applying your foundation is such amazing relief for dry skin... and then here I am wondering about that... because even the slightest bit of water dries my skin out even further. Consider me totally puzzled by this. :?:

So yeah. I no longer wear make-up (cleansing is a chore and dries my skin out!) and I only rub water over my face in the morning. In the evening I just slap on my moisturizers. I know, I know... you might think that's gross. But it is what it is. I can't use water too much.

I don't think that's gross. Whatever works for you and makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. :blossom: And hey, I don't wear make-up either; my skin is too darn sensitive. I also suffer with dry skin. It's really comforting knowing others struggle with similar issues.

lapushka
October 21st, 2017, 04:08 PM
I don't think that's gross. Whatever works for you and makes you feel comfortable in your own skin. :blossom: And hey, I don't wear make-up either; my skin is too darn sensitive. I also suffer with dry skin. It's really comforting knowing others struggle with similar issues.

Oh thank you that is very nice of you! :flower: I used sweet almond oil for so long underneath my moisturizer and it worked well all these years (age 3 to 44). It was recommended to my mom by our family doctor at the time. I have been dry for a long time! But I was getting wrinkles this year and so I started using a hyaluronic acid (HA) underneath my moisturizer (which is the Nivea blue tin) and it *works* wonders! I have lost my first permanent wrinkles to just a little creasing in my skin (non permanent). Of course I have to keep it up. But it does such wonderful things for my dry skin, that HA! I still need my moisturizer on top, though!