PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal for everyone?

ninjarambohd
October 18th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Hello everyone. I have a question. I don't know maybe I've never paid attention before. I a trying to grow my hair out. I buzzed it down back in June and haven't touched the top since.

My question is why do I have an extra layer of what I think thinner hairs on top of my head? Or is this totally normal? The only thing I have had done several times a few years ago was used thinning scissors and razor over my hair. Or is this normal and as usual I am overthinking?

https://s1.postimg.org/3qb9wpnian/20171019_012200.jpg

Obsidian
October 18th, 2017, 06:52 PM
You are overthinking it. Shorter and thinner hairs are new growth, its take 2-3 months for a newly grown hair to thicken up.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 18th, 2017, 06:57 PM
It's lovely new growth. Enjoy it :)

ninjarambohd
October 18th, 2017, 07:03 PM
So I shouldn't worry about anything? It's just regrowth? How long until it's back to normal?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 18th, 2017, 07:15 PM
Certainly don't worry about it. And it will take as long as it takes :)

ninjarambohd
October 18th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Certainly don't worry about it. And it will take as long as it takes :)
Thank you very much! Can I just ask how you could tell it's regrowth?

Anje
October 18th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Thinner hairs, like they have thin tapered tips? Those would be new growth that didn't get cut with scissors or clippers, coming in to replace hairs that have been shed.

Or do you mean like a bit of wispy stuff that sticks up above the rest? That's what gets termed frizz, and typically the less straight your hair is, the more you get. You can minimize it, but it's pretty normal for everyone but a few luckies with super straight extra-smooth hair. (And most of them complain that their hair has no volume, which is the alternative.)

AZDesertRose
October 18th, 2017, 08:23 PM
So I shouldn't worry about anything? It's just regrowth? How long until it's back to normal?

It depends on how fast your hair grows, which varies by person, but the average is 0.5 inch/~1.25 cm per month. Yours may grow faster or slower, because that's just an average of human hair growth across the entire H. sapiens population.

And it's likely to feel faster at such a short length than it will later when your hair gets longer. It feels like mine takes forever, and then when I'm not paying attention, I've passed the milestone/body marker that was my interim goal! :lol: at myself

Best wishes and happy growing! :flower:

ninjarambohd
October 19th, 2017, 12:30 AM
Thinner hairs, like they have thin tapered tips? Those would be new growth that didn't get cut with scissors or clippers, coming in to replace hairs that have been shed.

Or do you mean like a bit of wispy stuff that sticks up above the rest? That's what gets termed frizz, and typically the less straight your hair is, the more you get. You can minimize it, but it's pretty normal for everyone but a few luckies with super straight extra-smooth hair. (And most of them complain that their hair has no volume, which is the alternative.)

So like others do you think its new growth or frizz?

Isobibbel
October 19th, 2017, 05:14 AM
I've been getting that too and I hope it's new growth.
when I was a child i used to pull the hair out at the center front of my hairline and always had a short section of hair there ( my mum called it a unicorn horn) whenever i see that I have short whispy bits i get paranoid that I've been pulling again and not noticed

OhSuzi
October 19th, 2017, 06:37 AM
I've never had the whole of my head buzzed - but I can see that since making the decision to only cut hair once a year, there are a lot of my hairs that have very fine tapered ends the fineness is between 1 cm to about 1/2 an inch at the very end of my hair.
Pretty certain that this is brand new growth hairs that have never been cut blunt at their full thickness point by scissors (and not the result of broken split ends or my hair would be covered in other split ends & lots of frizz too).
So I reckon these ladies are right new growth just starts off fine & you'll notice it quite a bit whilst your hair is short.

Also I get really some fine whispy baby hairs all along my hairline, front sides & back they never grow beyond about 4 inches tops and they are almost as fine & delicate as spiders thread.

spidermom
October 19th, 2017, 07:41 AM
You are overthinking it. Please try not to worry so much. It is normal to have different types of hair growing on your head. I have hairs that are so coarse I could probably sew with them, other hairs that are so fine and wispy that they float around on the slightest movement of air. They are all normal hairs. They're just different from each other.

CreatureBailey
October 19th, 2017, 08:47 AM
Yeah me too my hair is almost at classic length but I have some strands that are not blunt they are like thinner at the ends but they are to my shoulders and I'm like what's this? So is it hairs that were not there before and that newly grew?

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Yeah me too my hair is almost at classic length but I have some strands that are not blunt they are like thinner at the ends but they are to my shoulders and I'm like what's this? So is it hairs that were not there before and that newly grew?

Hair is constantly growing and every strand is on a different cycle, if it weren't like that, you'd lose half your hair as it settled down to renew itself from the follicle. This now happens bit by bit, which is why you have shorter hairs on your head. :flower:

Yes, OP, you are overthinking it, and worrying too much. ;)

ninjarambohd
October 19th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Hair is constantly growing and every strand is on a different cycle, if it weren't like that, you'd lose half your hair as it settled down to renew itself from the follicle. This now happens bit by bit, which is why you have shorter hairs on your head. :flower:

Yes, OP, you are overthinking it, and worrying too much. ;)

Thank you so much Lapushka as always for your patience and kindness. So do you think it's new growth as well?

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Thank you so much Lapushka as always for your patience and kindness. So do you think it's new growth as well?

What else could it be? Your hair is still quite short though, so I wouldn't worry. :flower:

ninjarambohd
October 19th, 2017, 10:09 AM
What else could it be? Your hair is still quite short though, so I wouldn't worry. :flower:

I thought maybe I was losing my hair and it grew back in thinner. But with all of your awesome comments I feel at ease. Thank you again Lapushka.

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 10:20 AM
I thought maybe I was losing my hair and it grew back in thinner. But with all of your awesome comments I feel at ease. Thank you again Lapushka.

Well it doesn't look thin, so, there's that. I would focus on growth instead of these things though, happy growing. What's your goal length?

ninjarambohd
October 19th, 2017, 10:58 AM
Well it doesn't look thin, so, there's that. I would focus on growth instead of these things though, happy growing. What's your goal length?

Thank you so much again! I'm trying to grow out the top to something like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/txCxs96MRL4/hqdefault.jpg

How long will that take do you think? I know it's different for everyone but just an average estimate?

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 11:58 AM
Thank you so much again! I'm trying to grow out the top to something like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/txCxs96MRL4/hqdefault.jpg

How long will that take do you think? I know it's different for everyone but just an average estimate?

Hmm, I'd say 3 to 6 months? Just a guess, though, you'd have to know how long that hair is.

ninjarambohd
October 19th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Hmm, I'd say 3 to 6 months? Just a guess, though, you'd have to know how long that hair is.

Thank you so much!