PDA

View Full Version : Detangling Struggles-Please Help

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 04:26 PM
I have a very, very hard time detangling my hair & was wondering if anyone could recommend a lightweight serum or easy rinse product that might make it a bit easier for me. I S&D my hair the other night & didn't find too much in the way of splits or breakage. I get these velcro like tangles that I literally have to sit there & pull apart & I have to comb through the same section like 20 times before it's fully detangled. My hair is very dry & it honestly takes me like a half hour to detangle. Any help would be really appreciated!

Synester
October 18th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Our hair sounds EXACTLY the same..i have long very very fine hair that just sticks together tangled like velcro. and I have to peel it apart. I have a tangleTeezer and a WetBrush. Both are the only brushes I can use others just get stuck in my hair, I find regular hair oiling helps me..just soak your hair in oil and leave it overnight in a shower cap rinse it out in the morning with a good shampoo and a nice rich heavy conditioner. A lot of people either love sillicones or hate them, As someone with tangles id look for a conditioner that has a lot of cones...it helps to create good slip for me to detangle. I dont have any "serums" in my regimen so im curious if anyone else here has advice.

Shorty89
October 18th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Could you have build-up or protein/moisture overload? I'd try clarifying and maybe a different shampoo/conditioner, along with oils to help.

Aredhel
October 18th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Velcro ends are a pretty good indicator of build-up... for me anyway. Sometimes even just a tiny micro-trim makes a world of difference when it's not a build-up issue - although you did just mention that you've checked for splits already, so I'd learn more towards the buildup thing. Is this a sudden change, or has your hair always been velcro-ey? Do you use a lot of cones in your hair? Do you know if your area has hard or soft water? :)

meteor
October 18th, 2017, 05:52 PM
I have a very, very hard time detangling my hair & was wondering if anyone could recommend a lightweight serum or easy rinse product that might make it a bit easier for me. I S&D my hair the other night & didn't find too much in the way of splits or breakage. I get these velcro like tangles that I literally have to sit there & pull apart & I have to comb through the same section like 20 times before it's fully detangled. My hair is very dry & it honestly takes me like a half hour to detangle. Any help would be really appreciated!

Any chance this could be related to heating season? I run into this problem every time heaters are turned on for the cold seasons, it gets ultra-dry for obvious reasons... If that's the case, getting a humidifier might help a bit. Avoiding fleecy lint-inducing and static-inducing materials in turtlenecks, scarves, hats... can help a bit, too.

As for product recommendations, it depends on your hair. Personally, I really like Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum (in a bell-shaped clear bottle), it's a light silicone serum that I found really good for detangling. I also like their Sleek & Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-in.
Also, check out "oil rinses" after shampoo and before conditioner - they can help with detangling if the hair is too dry.

I'd say, clarify and try silicones, if you haven't done so already. You might need to experiment with more clarifying and more moisture treatments, like the SMT or just honey added to conditioner (preferably in shower rather than in dry environment, due to humectants), oils (in pre-poo soaks, oil rinses, added to conditioner or in LOC-type routines), cony conditioners/masks... It can be a struggle, so I'd keep a log to make sure you keep track of what works and what doesn't and in what combinations.

And I'd try to make sure your detangling tools are adequate. I can't really use brushes or static-inducing materials (so I stick to wide-tooth wooden comb or pick), for example, but others can get great results with things like the Tangle Teezer, etc... It might be worth experimenting with different tools, especially with different spacing, length of tines, rigidity of bristles, etc...

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Thank you all so much for the responses. ❤ I don't think it's build up because it has been like this long before I used any sort of conditioner with silicones, which I only recently switched to maybe a month ago & before hand I clarified many times trying to deal with scalp issues. I actually just shampooed my length about a week ago just in case there had been any sort of build up. & it's like this all over, not just the length too so I dont think it's any build up. I was extremely frustrated and upset with my hair & caved in and dyed it after a year (still beating myself up) so I'm wondering if that's part of it. Ive been so unhappy with it and struggling with it so much recently. I literally sit there & comb it with a wide tooth comb ever so slowly starting from the bottom & working my way up, then with the tangle teezer & then I smooth it out with a wooden brush.

Shorty89
October 18th, 2017, 06:02 PM
Could it be protein then? I know that my ends/hair get weird when they need protein. I never needed it before I dyed my hair.

AZDesertRose
October 18th, 2017, 06:04 PM
I have the Garnier Sleek and Shine Anti-Frizz serum (https://www.amazon.com/Garnier-Fructis-Sleek-Leave-Anti-Frizz/dp/B000GCTBNY) (link goes to Amazon, just so you can get an idea what the container looks like), but I mostly use it when I want my hair to straighten up and fly right; most days I don't care that much. (I just don't have much in the way of occasions or reasons to dress up, and I'm disabled, so there's a limit to how much energy I have, and most days I can't be fussed to expend it on making my hair lie flat.)

That being said, it does work beautifully for me. It doesn't take much; I use about two (really more like one and a half) pumps on my iii not-quite-hip length hair. and it works well, applied very sparingly with a cheap, firm-bristled toothbrush (here's a YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3MC_1QXQA) by CurlyPenny, a young woman with long wurly/curly hair about how to do the toothbrush thing), for taming my wispies. It looks like our hair types are similar, so that product might be worth a shot. It's not terribly expensive, and if you're in the US, you can get it at Walmart or Target or a drugstore like CVS or Walgreens. I'm not sure about where to find it outside the USA.

I hope that helps! :flower:

meteor
October 18th, 2017, 06:06 PM
[...] I was extremely frustrated and upset with my hair & caved in and dyed it after a year (still beating myself up) so I'm wondering if that's part of it. [...]

^ Oh yes, that could very well be part of it, I'm afraid.
Dyed hair (I'm assuming you used developer?) tends to do well on routines with more penetrating oils, silicones, hydrolyzed proteins, ceramides, panthenol, 18-MEA. Virgin hair is a lot lower maintenance, of course. You may need to invest in heavier conditioners (things marketed for "damaged or processed" hair tend to have some hydrolyzed proteins, silicones and other ingredients that processed hair may need) and oils and be even gentler and more patient with detangling than with virgin hair. :flower:

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 06:20 PM
Thank you again for your responses ❤I've actually never tried any protein products & to be honest, I don't know a thing about them, so please excuse my many questions. How do they work exactly? How do you know if that's what you need? Is that something you would do daily or only once a week? Would any of you happen to have any product recommendations? & I'll see if my bf would be willing to pick me up that Garnier Fructis serum payday.

Shorty89
October 18th, 2017, 06:51 PM
It depends on the person. I didn't need protein until I damaged my hair with lots of dye (from BSL down now). I use them as needed, which is usually once or twice a month. I just buy some gelatin and mix it with hot water. Then, once it's only warm not hot, I soak my hair in it for about 10 minutes. I usually follow that with a SMT (moisture treatment). But, there are conditioners and other treatments with protein. I"m sure someone else can offer suggestions.

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 07:10 PM
It depends on the person. I didn't need protein until I damaged my hair with lots of dye (from BSL down now). I use them as needed, which is usually once or twice a month. I just buy some gelatin and mix it with hot water. Then, once it's only warm not hot, I soak my hair in it for about 10 minutes. I usually follow that with a SMT (moisture treatment). But, there are conditioners and other treatments with protein. I"m sure someone else can offer suggestions.

My hair is definitely extremely damaged. From the shoulders down is years worth of heat & dye damage that I was much too stubborn to chop off & have been trying to baby. & Is the moisture treatment just a deep conditioner? I'm sorry for all the questions. I'm still so very new to this. I don't even know my hair type still tbh!

Jo Ann
October 18th, 2017, 07:47 PM
Here's the link for SMT (Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

This might help, too: Ursula’s Mega-Moisturizing Oil-SMT-Aloe Wash: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&page=3

One thing I do when I use SMT is I use my HG conditioner (Herbal Essence Hello Hydration) after I SMT. I tried more than a few on the "Recommended" list and went with Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (similar to Matrix's Biolage Conditioning Balm), followed by my HG conditioner. It really makes a difference for me.

Anje
October 18th, 2017, 07:53 PM
Velcro-y hair also makes me think that you've got more protein than your hair wants. Mine was certainly stiff, rough, and velcro-y when I got too much protein. In my case, it wasn't from a reconstructing, super-protein conditioner either, just one that had some that my hair didn't get along with.

What are you using for conditioner right now? Ingredients list (feel free to link it) would be extra helpful.

ETA: If your hair is damaged, it definitely complicates everything. Too little protein can also be a problem, and it's really not clear what's what without assessing it yourself. Give this a read: http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/moisture-and-protein-maintaining-the-balance It applies to everyone, no matter what your hair texture is.

Chromis
October 18th, 2017, 08:03 PM
Aside from products, I used to get a ton of tangles just from how I handled my hair. Learning how to wear it up during the day instead of always wearing a ponytail and braiding at night were the two largest improvements. The other thing I used to do that gave me terrible tangles was piling my hair on top of my head to shampoo it like they do in the commercials. These might all be things you know already, but I mention them since they were ones I had to learn myself :flower:

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 08:30 PM
The conditioner I'm using right now is the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition. I looked it up & I'm pretty sure this is the correct ingredient list, but I'll be sure to double check in the morning!

Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Pyrus Malus Extract/Apple Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hcl, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Citric Acid, Oela Europaea Oil/Olive Fruit Oil, Saccharum Officinarum Extract/Sugar Cane Extract/Extrait De Canne A Sucre, Benzyl Alcohol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Persea Gratissima Oil/Avocado Oil, Ribes Nigrum Oil/Black Currant Seed Oil, Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract/Lemon Peel Extract, Ci 19140/Yellow 5, Camellia Sinensis Extract/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ci 15985/Yellow 6. F.I.L. D35637/3.

Before that I was using the Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil conditioner which did absolutely nothing for my hair.

KlutzyChy1
October 18th, 2017, 08:36 PM
Aside from products, I used to get a ton of tangles just from how I handled my hair. Learning how to wear it up during the day instead of always wearing a ponytail and braiding at night were the two largest improvements. The other thing I used to do that gave me terrible tangles was piling my hair on top of my head to shampoo it like they do in the commercials. These might all be things you know already, but I mention them since they were ones I had to learn myself :flower:

I try to be as careful with my hair as I possibly can. I wash my hair in sections & gently massage well but one at a time. I pat my hair dry with a towel & then 'finger detangle' my damp hair by going in small sections & carefully separating the strands from one another. Then I leave it air dry all day, & then do a quick blast from the blow dryer at night just to make sure sits completely dry. & Then I go through with a wide tooth comb, starting from the bottom & detangle as slow as can be in small sections, followed by my TT & wooden brush. I literally do not know how to do a bun as silly as that sounds. My idea of putting my hair up is tying it up as if I were to put it in a pony tail, but then I don't pull the hair all the way through, if that makes sense. I struggle with braiding too because I still have layers I'm growing out so bits & pieces love to stick out everywhere. I feel like I'm trying so hard and my hair is being super stubborn lol.

AZDesertRose
October 18th, 2017, 08:42 PM
I try to be as careful with my hair as I possibly can. I wash my hair in sections & gently massage well but one at a time. I pat my hair dry with a towel & then 'finger detangle' my damp hair by going in small sections & carefully separating the strands from one another. Then I leave it air dry all day, & then do a quick blast from the blow dryer at night just to make sure sits completely dry. & Then I go through with a wide tooth comb, starting from the bottom & detangle as slow as can be in small sections, followed by my TT & wooden brush. I literally do not know how to do a bun as silly as that sounds. My idea of putting my hair up is tying it up as if I were to put it in a pony tail, but then I don't pull the hair all the way through, if that makes sense. I struggle with braiding too because I still have layers I'm growing out so bits & pieces love to stick out everywhere. I feel like I'm trying so hard and my hair is being super stubborn lol.

It might be worth doing the "finger detangle" part with a light coat of conditioner, oil, or serum on your fingers.

If you want to learn buns and other styles, maybe take a browse through the Hairstyle of the Month archives. Most of those styles have a video or written tutorial (some have both), and play with your hair a bit (once it's dry and reasonably free of tangles). Some buns work for some people but not for others. (The Pha bun is my personal arch-nemesis. I cannot for my life get that one to work on my hair! But a disc bun or a figure-8 or a Celtic knot will all generally hold like a rock for me. The lazy wrap bun [often abbreviated LWB] is iffy for me, at this length, anyway.)

It really just takes practice. If you know someone else who has long hair, maybe practice braiding on their hair first before trying it on your own, particularly French/Dutch braiding. That takes some intricate finger-work that becomes instinctive with enough practice, but the key phrase there is "with enough practice."

LadyCelestina
October 18th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Could you be wavier than you think? Curly and probably some wavy hair typically gets tangles and act like velcro when the clumps are broken. Combing through a section only to find it knotted again sounds very much like brushed out texture issue.

tjaska88
October 18th, 2017, 11:40 PM

I think u are right. My ends used to stick together also, so annoying, kind of spaghetti look. And back of my scalp was in tangles all the time. Till i used K-pac reconstructor, but it is expensive, but totally totally worth it!! Full of protein. Hair structure was immediately better!!! Yes, i would recommend this reconstructor, when u have tangling issues. Leave it on for 5,10 min, then i rinse and continue with moisturizing conditioner (for ballance).

Corvana
October 19th, 2017, 02:35 AM
When my hair is very very very tangly, then I generally deep condition it after clarifying. When I would bleach and dye my hair, I needed to deep condition weekly but ymmv of course. I always suggest my favorite deep conditioner, because it always made my hair sooooooo soft and tangle free. When I was bleaching it the tangle-free bit didn't last as long, but now with my virgin hair it lasts a full week lol. L'Oreal Nature's Therapy Mega Moisture, smells suuuuper good and I love it more than one should maybe love a conditioner :laugh:

lucid
October 19th, 2017, 03:02 AM
Shampoos and conditioners without cones can build up as well, depending on your hair type. So I would by a clarifying shampoo and clarify just to rule that out.

Just like others have stated, velcro hair for me usually means I need to clarify. But I had an episode of velcro hair a while ago that i couldn't sort out, it drived me nuts!

Several people in here suggested I should start using leave ins. I was hesitant at first, because leave ins have never worked for me, and only caused heavy hair and build up. But I gave it a try and that sorted it out for me, and brought my hair back to normal. Now I use a non-coney moisturizer as the first leave in all of my lengths, and then I use a coney spray or cream on top of that, concentrating on the more damaged parts.

I have never needed leave ins successfully before, so it's super weird that my hair is loving it. I think its both due to lengt and the fact that I have some bleach damage in my hair.

Anyway, sometimes one just needs to change up the entire routine I guess :)

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 09:14 AM
Could you be wavier than you think? Curly and probably some wavy hair typically gets tangles and act like velcro when the clumps are broken. Combing through a section only to find it knotted again sounds very much like brushed out texture issue.

This could definitely be a possibility. I'm not quite sure what my hair type is, to be honest. It's definitely wavy before I comb it out. Once its combed, it sort of poofs out, if that makes sense. I'm going to take a picture tonight after it's air dried before I brush it, & hopefully you lovely ladies can help my type my hair!

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Velcro-y hair also makes me think that you've got more protein than your hair wants. Mine was certainly stiff, rough, and velcro-y when I got too much protein. In my case, it wasn't from a reconstructing, super-protein conditioner either, just one that had some that my hair didn't get along with.

What are you using for conditioner right now? Ingredients list (feel free to link it) would be extra helpful.

ETA: If your hair is damaged, it definitely complicates everything. Too little protein can also be a problem, and it's really not clear what's what without assessing it yourself. Give this a read: http://blackhair101.com/hair-care/moisture-and-protein-maintaining-the-balance It applies to everyone, no matter what your hair texture is.

I don't think it's an issue of too much protein, as far as I know, none of the products I've used recently contain any, but I'll be sure to double check this!

Thank you so much for the link! After reading that, I think I may need a light protein treatment & lots of moisture. Do you have any product recommendations for a protein treatment that would be good for someone who isn't too sure? Something that might not be as harsh or have as much, perhaps.

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 09:41 AM
What kind of conditioners do you use?

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 09:50 AM
What kind of conditioners do you use?

Currently I'm using the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner.

Aqua/Water/Eau, Cetearyl Alcohol, Elaeis Guineensis Oil/Palm Oil, Behentrimonium Chloride, Pyrus Malus Extract/Apple Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Parfum/Fragrance, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hcl, Butyrospermum Parkii Butter, Citric Acid, Oela Europaea Oil/Olive Fruit Oil, Saccharum Officinarum Extract/Sugar Cane Extract/Extrait De Canne A Sucre, Benzyl Alcohol, Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Persea Gratissima Oil/Avocado Oil, Ribes Nigrum Oil/Black Currant Seed Oil, Linalool, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Extract/Lemon Peel Extract, Ci 19140/Yellow 5, Camellia Sinensis Extract/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ci 15985/Yellow 6. F.I.L. D35637/3.

& before that I used the Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Conditioner.

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin (Vegetable), Cetrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Caprylate, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Rhododendron Ferrugineum Leaf Cell Culture Extract, Balanites Aegyptiaca Seed Oil, Rosa Centifolia Flower Wax, Damascena Flower Wax, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract, Amino-Esters-1, Betaine, Pearl Powder (Margarita Powder),Coccinia (Essential Oil Blend) *Certified Organic Ingredients.

lithostoic
October 19th, 2017, 10:07 AM
That sounds like my hair when it needs protein. First I clarify. My go-to protein treatment is coconut oil. Favorite serum is Garnier Sleek & Shine.

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Currently I'm using the Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner.

& before that I used the Shea Moisture Peace Rose Oil Conditioner.

Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin (Vegetable), Cetrimonium Chloride, Glyceryl Caprylate, Rosa Damascena Flower Oil, Rosa Canina Flower Extract, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Rhododendron Ferrugineum Leaf Cell Culture Extract, Balanites Aegyptiaca Seed Oil, Rosa Centifolia Flower Wax, Damascena Flower Wax, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Panthenol, Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract, Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract, Amino-Esters-1, Betaine, Pearl Powder (Margarita Powder),Coccinia (Essential Oil Blend) *Certified Organic Ingredients.

There's nothing wrong with esp. the first one, it's thick and moisturizing enough. What method do you use? CWC? Might want to throw a mask at it and let it sit a long time. Also, do you detangle before washing? If not, I would do so.

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 10:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with esp. the first one, it's thick and moisturizing enough. What method do you use? CWC? Might want to throw a mask at it and let it sit a long time. Also, do you detangle before washing? If not, I would do so.

I just do the typical shampoo & condition. I shampoo only my scalp & condition only my length & let that sit while I wash my face /body. Do you have any mask recommendations? & I dont detangle before washing, I find I shed much more if I do this. So I finger detangle after washing & then detangle again at night once it's completely dry.

marvel-lover
October 19th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Perhaps it could also be a hard water issue that is causing a mineral buildup? I recommend clarifying, deep conditioning, and doing a vinegar rinse. I know my hair always tangles more when I don't do a vinegar rinse after I wash. It's pretty simple: once you've rinsed out your conditioner, plac about a teaspoon of either distilled white vinegar or ACV and fill the rest of the cup with water (seriously tiny amounts of vinegar here) then pour it over your scalp and onto your ends. You can either leave it on for a few minutes and rinse it out, or you can just walk out of the shower without rinsing (that's what I do; don't worry, the smell fades). I also recommend an oil or a serum (nice and light) to help prevent strands from tangling; silicone often help with that. Although protein treatments also sound like they could be helpful. I hope this helps!

lithostoic
October 19th, 2017, 10:57 AM
You only shampoo your scalp? Sounds like your length has build-up. Try shampooing the whole length and then deep conditioning.

lapushka
October 19th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I just do the typical shampoo & condition. I shampoo only my scalp & condition only my length & let that sit while I wash my face /body. Do you have any mask recommendations? & I dont detangle before washing, I find I shed much more if I do this. So I finger detangle after washing & then detangle again at night once it's completely dry.

The Garnier Whole Blends honey or olive one. So far I have tried the conditioners and they are about the same as my HE Hello Hydration, so I like them, and the masks should normally be a little more powerful, but the conditioners are nice too.

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Perhaps it could also be a hard water issue that is causing a mineral buildup? I recommend clarifying, deep conditioning, and doing a vinegar rinse. I know my hair always tangles more when I don't do a vinegar rinse after I wash. It's pretty simple: once you've rinsed out your conditioner, plac about a teaspoon of either distilled white vinegar or ACV and fill the rest of the cup with water (seriously tiny amounts of vinegar here) then pour it over your scalp and onto your ends. You can either leave it on for a few minutes and rinse it out, or you can just walk out of the shower without rinsing (that's what I do; don't worry, the smell fades). I also recommend an oil or a serum (nice and light) to help prevent strands from tangling; silicone often help with that. Although protein treatments also sound like they could be helpful. I hope this helps!

Thank you for responding :heart: I don't think it's an issue of build up or hard water at this point. Before I switched to the shampoo & conditioner I'm using now, I clarified MANY, MANY times in an attempt to fix my scalp issues. I used the Neutrogena anti-residue (in case it was product build up) & the Joico Chelating Shampoo (in case it was hard water). After every shampoo (clarifying or not), I would use a diluted ACV rinse & then do a final rinse with bottled water. I also bought a shower filter. I've literally tried everything, I swear. & My tangles were the same as they are now for the most part. (they are slightly worse now that I redyed, ofc.)

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 01:31 PM
You only shampoo your scalp? Sounds like your length has build-up. Try shampooing the whole length and then deep conditioning.

Thank you for responding I don't think it's an issue of build up at this point. Before I switched to the shampoo & conditioner I'm using now, I clarified MANY, MANY times in an attempt to fix my scalp issues. I used the Neutrogena anti-residue (in case it was product build up) & the Joico Chelating Shampoo (in case it was hard water). After every shampoo (clarifying or not), I would use a diluted ACV rinse & then do a final rinse with bottled water. I also bought a shower filter. I've literally tried everything, I swear. & My tangles were the same as they are now for the most part. (they are slightly worse now that I redyed, ofc.) I also shampooed my entire length about a week ago, just in case my conditioner might have started building up.

KlutzyChy1
October 19th, 2017, 06:02 PM

This is my hair after I've left it to air dry all day & before I brushed/detangled it. Do you think I might be wavier than I thought? Does the damage I have also affect my texture?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/5VL5Ma.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/pm5VL5Maj)

Jo Ann
October 19th, 2017, 06:25 PM
I think you might be spot on with your hair type, KC.

After getting over some MAJOR hair envy on my part, it looks like you might have gotten some of your tangle problem under control--you hair looks smooth and no visible damage that I can see.

How did the detangling go?

leayellena
October 20th, 2017, 06:07 AM
This is my hair after I've left it to air dry all day & before I brushed/detangled it. Do you think I might be wavier than I thought? Does the damage I have also affect my texture?
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/5VL5Ma.jpg (http://imageshack.com/f/pm5VL5Maj)

Damage makes your hair look straighter than it normally is. I had 2a before I ever knew about LHC and hair care. It was like 2 years ago. Now I have 2b/2c and my hair is unmanageable for 24 hours after washing. No matter if cones or not. Cones make my hair more manageable than cone-free. Try a huge s&d session and/or protein (keratine) conditioner.

KlutzyChy1
October 20th, 2017, 07:38 AM
I think you might be spot on with your hair type, KC.

After getting over some MAJOR hair envy on my part, it looks like you might have gotten some of your tangle problem under control--you hair looks smooth and no visible damage that I can see.

How did the detangling go?

Awe, that's so sweet of you. I think your hair is just as beautiful. I always have SO MUCH hair envy searching through the forum. & That picture was actually taken before I detangled my hair. When I go to detangle it, all the strands seem to stick together like velcro & I have to gently pull them apart. I'm wondering if this is partly due to my hair type? When I comb out my hair it tends to get 'poofy' & I loose some of that waviness? Is there a certain way someone with wavy hair is supposed to detangle their hair as apposed to someone with stick straight hair? I went & bought a hair mask & serum. Today is wash day so we'll see how detangling goes today!

Jo Ann
October 20th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Thank you, KC.

I do an awful lot of finger-combing in the shower when I wash and condition my hair (I WCC--wash, condition, condition) and use the water from the shower to help me along. I also use baby oil as a ROO between my first and second conditioner. I use a wide, curvy-toothed detangling comb I got over 20 years ago to comb my hair after I LOC (leave-in, oil, cream). I can comb my wet hair from roots to tips and get no tangles.

The times I DID get tangles was when I use a conditioner high in proteins, like the VO5 line, when I was trying to find a good SMT conditioner. When that happened, I went back to the shower and used my Hello Hydration conditioner--that helped a lot!

Even though I wash weekly, I still clarify once a month. I recently switched from using SLS shampoo and two coney conditioners to a non-SLS shampoo and only one coney conditioner. My hair seems to like this routine a lot.

Obsidian
October 20th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Generally, with wave/curly hair its recommended to detangle in the shower with a wide tooth comb while your hair if full if conditioner. Once your hair is dry, any kind of combing will disrupt the wave and cause poofiness.