PDA

View Full Version : 1b type what do you like?

Laila23
October 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I am new and looking for individuals with similar hair type as myself (1b/fm/thin-to-medium thickness). I have been reading through the older posts and keeping my eye out for people with similar hair type and what they liked and/or didn't like.

Baking soda? ACV? Coconut oil, EVOO, shea or cocoa butter? Cone or Cone free? Any others?

I have used all of the above. After reading other's experience, I was able to realize that I had/had not a similar experience. I guess because at the time, I was just trying something new and wasn't really looking at the effects, just excited to try something new.

Baking soda made my hair lil bit dry. ACV made it very shiny, though a little frizzy :) but manageable. Coconut oil and all of the others make it feel gross when I use too much. When I use the correct smaller amount, it feels soft and moisturized. And I feel that cone free conditioners work best with my hair.

Just looking for any advice/encouragement/experience from fellow 1B-ers. My hair is healthy but it doesn't have the shine/moisture that I know it can have.

Thanks, you guys are the best! :D

lizzyjo
October 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM
1b hair represent! I like to do a vinegar rinse after conditioning because we have hard water. The vinegar makes it sleeker. I don't use ACV for two reasons - it's more expensive, and I heard you shouldn't use it on blonde hair.

I've used EVOO twice, once as a deep conditioning treatment after which I didn't notice a difference, and once just to oil the ends which I used too much for and it looked really oily.

I've never used anything coney.

After my hair is dry, I use either a hair cream or some conditioner on the length to make it less fluffy.

Amara
October 28th, 2008, 12:32 PM
For more moisture, try adding honey to your AVC rinse, or try Chagrin Valley's babassu and marshmallow shampoo bar.

I am no-cone - I always use CV's 'poo bars and an AVC rinse with a little conditioner in. I mist with a bit of water and conditioner occasionally, and use coconut oil, but only sparingly as it can really weigh my hair down. I also use shea butter+jojoba for a heavier moisture treatment before a 'poo, sometimes.

I only finger comb.

My hair didn't really like baking soda, regular shampoo, cones, jojoba oil by itself.

HTH!

Laila23
October 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Lizzyjo, thanks for your quick reply! 1b unite :D You have beautiful hair. :)

Amara, You bring up an interesting point. I was always taught that you should brush your hair 100 times (and 200 is better) to have beautiful shiny hair. I see a lot of people pick/finger comb/comb their hair only?

I'm going to try adding honey to my rinse!

Thanks. :)

freznow
October 28th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Honey is a definite yes! Especially now that winter's here. My hair likes it in winter.

And brushing never does a thing for my hair. I've tried it numerous times... only damage.

I couldn't get away with finger coming, though, so I just use a horn comb.

vampodrama
October 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
reporting in...

ACV is good for my hair. oils are a big no-no, because my hair doesn't really need or absorb any moisture. I try to be SLS and cone-free, but not totally (my hair forms dreads on its own if it's totally cone free for a long period).

brushing makes my hair greasy so I just detangle with a wide-toothed comb.

luciole
October 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
1b here, as well! Never tryed ACV or baking soda, nor felt the need to try it out. My hair doesn't mind cones but it looks shinier and feels nicer without them.

Also, heavy oiling with EVOO makes my hair soft and happy, coconut oil doesn't do anything for me.

Oh, and I comb my hair only in the morning and after washing it when it´s still wet (I would be very careful with the wet- combing, most hair breaks off doing that).

granitbaby
October 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi, 1b here:waving:
With out henna I'm more like 1c but it's close enough I guess:)

I try to be SLS free but I clarify whit ALS (Ammonium Laureth Sulphate) as often as I like. Cones are a big no-no, it just causes tangles and greasiness. AVC works if its very diluted, but the best way for me to get shine are cold water rinses.

Coconut oil is my favourite oil, I hardly uses any other oil, just jojoba for shine.
EVOO is way to heavy for my hair and baking soda was a total disaster.:cool:

I don't know if this helps you but it's always interesting to compare routines:bottomsup:

chrissy-b
October 28th, 2008, 03:27 PM
My hair loves being cone-free, it has body and seems to hold waves better. My hair also loves oils and shea butter. ACV rinses work well for me too, though I don't remember to do them as often as I'd like. I brush to style and to remove loose hairs before a wash, but I've cut back significantly to prevent mechanical damage.

Cassia gives my hair more body and feels thicker than without, and I don't think I ever go without a leave-in of some sort after washing -- my hair is just too hard to detangle without it.

Tai Shan Fan
October 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Another 1b checking in.

Dryness isn't really a problem for me. All applied oils do not get absorbed and just gunk up my hair, so I avoid them. I avoid all leave-ins too, as they just mean I have to wash my hair more frequently. It doesn't get absorbed.

Cones don't suit my hair. They make the ends brittle to the touch and dry. If I avoid cones, I avoid dryness.

I struggle against lank, oily and piecey looking hair and so far have found diluted shampoo - sulphates are fine, to be the best solution I've tried. Other methods - herbs and shampoo bars haven't yet been successful.

Tangles have not been a problem since I started using henna, which my hair loves.

Teazel
October 28th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hi there, another 1b reporting. :D

ACV doesn't do a thing for me. I love using a clarifying shampoo though - my hair's never better than when it's really really clean.

My hair prefers 'cone-free products. For me, 'cones just keep out moisture and disguise the damage they're doing.

I've tried almond, jojoba, coconut oil, and shea butter (the latter was way too heavy for me), and don't really use oils anymore apart from an occasional overnight oiling.

The best thing I do for my hair is to add honey when I condition the length, along with a dob of aloe vera. Honey rocks! :rockerdud

AnneAdeline
October 28th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hi, I'm a 1b, too. *waves*

My hair likes jojoba oil and seems to do ok with cones. I've thought about trying no-cone, but haven't yet. I mostly comb (with a pick), with some boar bristle brushing. The BBB really makes my hair shine when it's on the dirtier side, though I've gotta have it in an updo or else it sticks too close to my head.

Laila23
October 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
TaiShanFan : I just wanted to tell you that you hit the nail on the head when describing my hair : piecey! Yes, exactly!

Laila23
October 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Teazel,

When you use aloe vera and honey with your conditioner, what ratios, how long do you leave it, etc.

Which clarifying shampoo do you recommend?

Currently, I am using Jason Aloe Vera, it has no Laurel/Laureth Sulfates. I chose it because of that but to be honest I haven't found that big of a difference... ? Any other 1b with or without sulfates and found it makes a difference?

Thanks everyone. I'm really learning a lot. It's nice to read about all of your hair and realize that what you're saying matches my hair precisely. All of my friends have thick, wavy, curly hair, so when I take their advice my hair just looks worse and it is frustrating! So thanks !!!!!! :D

Teazel
October 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Teazel,

When you use aloe vera and honey with your conditioner, what ratios, how long do you leave it, etc.

Which clarifying shampoo do you recommend?

I basically use SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment) - 2 or 3 tablespoons moisturising conditioner, one tablespoon liquid honey and a teaspoon aloe vera gel. I don't bother mixing them beforehand, just slap them onto my length one after the other in the shower, massage it in, pin it all up (with a double-ended knitting needle) while I do other shower duties (5 - 10 minutes, I suppose), then rinse well.

The only clarifying shampoo I've used so far is Pantene's. It's called 'Purity', or something.

I'm at sea with the sulphate/non-sulphate thing. One sulphate-free shampoo I've used was as harsh as a clarifying shampoo, while another was so gentle it left my hair lifeless. :shrug:

Melisande
October 29th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Another 1b here.

I use cone free gentle shampoos (German products: Alverde, Sante and Balea) and the conditioners that belong to the same line. I CWC and dilute strongly, with great success. I tried soap bars and they are fine in soft water regions but where I live the water is too hard for soap. So I keep them for vacations.

I rinse with citric acid. Love it.

I tried baking soda, it was okay but only once or twice. Over time my hair became lifeless.

I use Lush BIG once every six weeks for deep cleaning and it works well.

I mist and dampbun regluarly. My mist recipe: distilled water, rose water, aloe vera gel, camelia oil. I use it in copious amounts.

My hair loves oils. I do deep oiling before washes (olive oil, often mixed with conditioner) and after washes I use either Fox' sheabutter formula, Dabur Vatika oil or camelia oil. My scalp loves jojoba oil. Coconut oil doesn't do much for me though I sometimes "feed" my ends with cocaloe cream.

I never brush but use a wide toothed comb once or maximum twice a day. I sleep on a silk scarf and never ever rub my hair. I don't have split hairs although my ends show the stress of chemical dye that I used two years ago. I pamper my ends more than my husband (that's what he says at least ;) ).

I keep my hair up at all times, massage with Jessie's oil at least twice a week before I go to sleep, use plant dye to refresh my graying hair and feel that the waves have come out since I started this routine (one-and-half years ago). Before that, I had 1a. Cones killed my waves, I never even knew I had them.

My hair has become much thicker and I love that.

serious
October 29th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I am not an expert in hair typing,but I believe Iam 1b and my hair is thin.

My hair hates:
-cones
-CO
-deep oiling ( I tried EVOO,coconut,sweet almond,jojoba and palm oil)
-herbal rinses (I tried nettle,rosemary,lavender)
All of this make my hair lifeless,oily,flat and coated

This works,but does nothing extra special:
-Aleppo soap
-acv rinse

-two drops of jojoba oil,applied on wet ends

This works GREAT:
-deluted SLS shampoo and cold water
-honey (gives shine and volume,great moisturiser)
-aloe vera gel(mixed with honey and conditioner in SMT)
-fenugreek ( for soft,silky,shiny hair,but less body)
-maple syrup ( extra volume,extra shine,no frizz,very smooth hair)
and,of course,
-HENNA

Elanor
October 29th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Ib here too! :)
I don't use anything with cones in it, because they tend to build up and make the ends become dry pretty quickly.
I mainly do CO-washes and only use shampoo for clarifying once a month or so.
I always apply leave-in after washes and oil my hair lightly with almond oil or camelia oil. Oil itself doesn't moisturize the hair, but it seals the moisture in and protects the hair, and gives nice shine.
For heavy oilings I love to use Virgin Coconut Oil, it seems to make my hair stronger and thicker.
I do a deep treatment every week with SMT, or just honey and conditioner. I leave it on for at least an hour and sometimes overnight.
I only finger comb my hair, but I'm looking for a quality wood or horn comb.
Wearing my hair up really seems to protect it, but I'm often too lazy to do that :D

Dientje
October 29th, 2008, 03:56 AM
1b here!

For me, when using a shampoo that contains SLS, my hair gets greasy quicker. It is also more flat on top of my head. When using cones, my hair is tangle-free (good thing), lifeless (bad thing) and has absolutely no volume or wave anymore (also bad thing). So I am now cone-free. This makes combing a bit more difficult, but I like my hair a lot better like this.

I have found something that works great for me. I use SLS-free shampoo, mixed with cone-free conditioner and water in a bottle. First, apply condish to ends, the wash scalp with the shampoo-condish mix. After rinsing, condition the length once more with conditioner.

Oh, and I henna my hair regularly. This makes my hair thicker, shinier and stronger, but also a bit more difficult to comb. I use a wooden comb to comb my hair, and I braid it at night.

I have tried different oils, coconut leaves my ends dry and brittle, EVOO leaves my whole head greasy, jojoba does nothing. But Fox's shea butter formula works wonders for my hair!
I have done the ACV rinses, but that does nothin for my hair. I have tried SMT's, and was very disappointed about the results. Turns out, my hais dislikes honey. Honey makes it dry and brittle. Weird, I know...
I have tried baking soda, with horrible results. My hair was extremely dry, still dirty, broke off for no reason, and had a mass of splits all of a sudden.

Sarahmoon
October 29th, 2008, 04:18 AM
*waves hi*

Best thing for me was quit brushing and start combing. I feel the ends look less damaged now, even though I didn't cut of the pre-LHC damage yet. I also like a tiny bit of jojoba oil on the ends and then I finger-comb them, makes it feel very soft.

I've tried SLS-free shampoo, but then I always end up with still greasy patches of hair near my scalp, which I hate, so I went back to regular shampoo. I do use cone free conditioner though. I feel it makes the hair look less straight.

I do a white vinegar rinse (never tried ACV yet) after shampoo/conditioner and then rinse it again with colder water. Makes the hair softer.

I don't use honey because I'm afraid of the possible bleaching effect. Never tried baking soda but I've tried a clarifying shampoo and didn't really notice some result different from regular shampoo.

Laila23
October 29th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Dientje, Your hair color is pretty in your avatar. Is that from Henna?

I would like to eventually try henna but I'm not really sure how the hair color will come out and that makes me nervous to say the least. :D

Sarahmoon: Rinsing my hair in cold water also helped it to appear more shiny and less tangly. I read something about it making the follicles lay flat? I'm going to try and incorporate this more, it's easy free and takes about the same time as rinsing with warmer water.

Melisande: What type of massage do you do? Your own or a specific type?

Thanks you guys, I'm taking notes!!! :)

Sarahmoon
October 29th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Laila, I heard that as well, but I only get a noticeable effect when I rinse with vinegar and then rinse that out with water. Water only works a lot less good for me it seems.

Dientje
October 29th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Laila, thank you for the comliment! Yes, I got that color from henna. But the picture was taken a year ago in full sunlight, the color is different now. A bit darker.

My natural color is medium to dark blonde. I usually use a mix of cassia, and golden blonde henna and a little bit of chestnut henna. The henna I use is available in 7 colors (I think), and I just mix the color I want to. I don't want the full henna color, mainly because I'm a little lazy and don't want to have to henna every month or so. I do like the color.... Hmmm, maybe henna glosses would work as well, might try that sometime.

LZYJO
December 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Wow, there's some really great information here. Oddly enough, my hair actually looks similar to many other people with 1b/1c hair and many of things mentioned in this thread have also worked for me.

I have found that white vinegar rinses make my hair softer. A final rinse with cold water seems to make the hair feel cleaner and makes it noticibly shinier.

I'm still experimenting with oil, moisture, and protein treatments. I noticed good results, soft and silky hair after oiling with EVOO. I also noticed conditioning benefits from honey.

jeno
December 17th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I do CO and oil with a mix of coconut-, jojoba- and shea oil on wet hair. I wash my hair once a week with CO and in between I rinse it with water. I avoid proteins because my hair gets dry, heavy and kind of strange oily of them! I mostly keep my hair up, because I can't stop playing with it when it's down and then it get stringy and oily. It tangles easily this time of the year because of dry air and big collars and scarfs.
Oh, I almost forgot. I use a satin pillow case and sleep with my hair up!

Rapunzelwannabe
December 17th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have a ton of hair but each strand is fairly normal sized, and I like baking soda and ACV a lot when I have the time to do it properly. It leaves my hair clean and shiny and surprisingly soft short-term. I also like a teeny tiny dab of coconut oil on the very ends but I realize YMMV. Jojoba oil is good but pricy, and I found that solar oil worked really well and its major ingredients are Jojoba Oil, Sweet Almond Oil and Vitamin E.

annys
December 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
My hair likes SMT and coconut oil.

longhairedfairy
December 17th, 2008, 08:45 PM
My hair seems to respond to cones pretty well in terms of softness and de-tangling, but I think it weighs it down a bit. I prefer a cone-free shampoo followed by VO5 conditioner (one of the not-so-smelly ones). Sometimes I use diluted vinegar as a rinse and then I rinse that out. Afterwards I usually use a wooden comb with a little camellia oil on damp hair.

LadyMoon11
December 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
1b checking in! :D

Things that work for me:
- My hair loves our bi-weekly SMT. (I say, "our" as if my hair is a separate entity :lol:)

- Honey and aloe vera work well on my hair; both in moderation. I keep to the deep treatments w/ these two.

- I use Nightblooming's Hair Annointing Oil (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18769962) on damp hair. My hair loves it. I use about 5 drops on the length below ears. I also use it as a deep oiling; every once in a while, I will heavily oil my hair with this and sleep with it bunned. I wash in the morning, and am rewarded with exceptionally soft hair. This blend of oils just works perfectly for my hair :inlove:

- On dry hair, I usually use a very small amount of warm shea butter or Nightblooming's Pancea's Hair Salve (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=18454900) (shea butter is a main ingredient). Surprisingly, shea butter is NOT too heavy on my hair. Oh, and NO, I do not work for NightBlooming/Nightshade. :lol: I happen to just really, really like her concoctions.

- I really am ok with either 'cones or no 'cones. For some time now, I have not been using 'cones, and my hair seems very happy, though it was happy with 'cones at times, too. I think since I have moved, the water here is different and my hair now seems to prefer no 'cones. ?? WHo knows.

- My current washing routine is CWC with Biolage Hydrate (no 'cones) shampoo and VO5 cheap-o conditioner, then final condition with Biolage Hydrating Balm (no 'cones). I wash every other day, sometimes every day. My hair likes to be clean. :)

- Henna. Once a month for strength, shine and color.

Things that do not work for me:
- CO. I gave it a pretty fair day in court. Left my hair lank and yuckie. My scalp itched something fierce.
- EVOO. I only use a small amount of this in my henna. Otherwise it really greased out my hair and made it limp, even in small amounts.
- ACV. I may not have done the rinses correctly, but this totally stripped my hair both times.
- Shampoo bars. Wow my hair hated these. Each type I have used. Again, could be an operator error, but I think my hair just rejects this concept.
- Baking soda. Disaster. :shudder:

Hope this helps, and WELCOME! :D

saoriiroas
December 18th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I refuse to use baking soda in my hair.
When I was young, I used to use lemon juice to lighten my hair a bright dark red.
My hair and scalp love vinegar, any kind.
EVOO is my emergency oil, it is my least favorite hair oil, coconut is my second least favorite. Say no to anything petroleum based.
I love shea butter for my dry ends.
I also love: Jojoba oil, hemp oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil
I use neem oil on my scalp if I ever get irritation.
I have to wash at least every 3 days, but I usually go every other day.
Cones are fine with me, but only for conditioner, and only on my ends.
I try to stay organic with my scalp shampoos,no SLS, except if I go too long between washes..
I like doing a deep shea butter oiling, and then using my flat iron on one of the lowest settings to warm it up a bit (Mine has heat settings from 1-20, and I usually set it to 5).
Wooden combs and Denmans
Aussie 3MM. I have tried just about every other deep conditioner, Giovanni Silk Therapy, The Body Shop Brazil Nut Masque, L'oreal Mega Moisture, Pantene, but nothing gives me slip like 3MM.
I am not a fan of aloe vera for conditioning, it dries my hair out. If you want a natural gel for hold now that is a different thing.
Honey does not give me enough moisture to be worth using.
African Black Soap from Ghana turned my hair to butter, I should get some again.
I can *not* CO, ever. Like LadyMoon11, way too itchy.

And of course, the LHC magic for that extra shine.

Elichan
December 19th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Anther 1b introducing... :)
Things that work for my hair:
- Henna: I found henna makes my fine hair thicker, stronger and adds lots of shine... (look at my avatar :p), and it helps my scalp to become less oily, so I con't have to wash so often. I do henna once a month, or every 40 days aprox.
- Wash every other day, and leave it dry without hairdryer.
-Wooden or rubber combs. Not brushing.
- Never use oils on my scalp, but that's because my scalps feels oly so soon, it doesn't needs extra oil or moisture.
- Baking soda, just once a month or less... it leaves my hair straight and clean, I use a deep conditioner after, if not BS makes my hair a bit dry ;)
- Braid for sleep, my hair tends to tangle so easily...
- Conditioner with cones, but shampoo cone-free... it leaves my hair cleaner and with more body.
Things that do not work for me:
- ACV adds shine to my hair, but I find my hair becames dirty sooner whith vinegar rinses :confused: anyone knows why?
- Conditioners cone-free... my hair feels rough and it tangles a lot.
- Brushing... my fine hair just can't stand it :)

Themyst
December 19th, 2008, 08:30 AM
How nice to have all the 1b's in one place.

I'm surprised at all the no cone responses. I cannot even begin to comb my hair if I don't use cones. Combing tangled hair = damage for me.

But my hair does get flat pretty quick, perhaps that is why. I wonder how I might make the transition to a cone-free conditioner to test this theory.

I've tried cassia, loved the manageability I received from it. I'm going to give henna a try soon, hopefully it will make my hair a bit thicker.

Demetrue
December 19th, 2008, 08:55 AM
TheMyst - what if you just did cone conditioner from the nape of your neck down to the ends, but used cone free on the scalp? That might work to give you the detangling slip for the length, but the scalp/roots would be less weighted down.

Themyst
December 19th, 2008, 09:19 AM
TheMyst - what if you just did cone conditioner from the nape of your neck down to the ends, but used cone free on the scalp? That might work to give you the detangling slip for the length, but the scalp/roots would be less weighted down.

Sometimes I can be such a bonehead, :doh:I do only use conditioner from my neck down - I don't use any on my head.

So this would mean that it's probably just the weight of the length of my hair pulling it down. Although - thinking back, even when my hair was much shorter it was flat on top. It's only nice the day I wash it - after that, it goes flat and limp. I can't imagine there is a 'cure' for this ... I tried cassia, it conditioned but didn't add volume. I'm going to try henna soon - hopefully it will add some thickness.

Laila23
December 19th, 2008, 12:00 PM
wow, thanks to everyone who replied. It was nice to read the responses. I guess the debate is still out on cone vs. cone but I have been cone free and happy since coming here and learning what a cone was!

I've also been using coconut oil very often. I do not like evoo. Smt's are great too!

I'm still interested in henna but I'm very scared of becoming an odd shade of orange/red that will look ghastly against my fair/pink complexion!

Laila23
December 19th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I haven't tried CO yet. The last week I got some conditioner on my scalp and couldn't figure out why my scalp was driving me crazy in the one area where I got conditioner there and then it finally dawned on me.... :)

Themyst
December 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
wow, thanks to everyone who replied. It was nice to read the responses. I guess the debate is still out on cone vs. cone but I have been cone free and happy since coming here and learning what a cone was!

I've also been using coconut oil very often. I do not like evoo. Smt's are great too!

I'm still interested in henna but I'm very scared of becoming an odd shade of orange/red that will look ghastly against my fair/pink complexion!

I share your reservation with that. I also have a very fair complexion with pink undertones. No doubt, I'd be the one to wind up with the clown orange hair. I'm going to experiment with katam and indigo in my henna to see what I can come up with. :) If my henna ever gets here.:(

Um Enis
December 19th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I love henna. Its taken my hair from f/m to a solid m.

I also like Aisha's honey/ oil/ (sometimes) egg treatment. I will often (once monthly) do henna on the roots and her treatment on the rest.

I tried no-cones, B.S., WO, CWC and the best thing for me is my old favorite Biologe shampoo and conditioner with cones. But I always do a vinegar rinse because we have hard water here.

I also like a very light oiling. For regular use, I like jojoba. For deep treatment, olive oil.

I do like baking soda as an intense clarify (like 2 or 3 times a year)

Laila23
December 19th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Um Enis, how long have you been using it before you saw the change? I'm very intersted but very scared, as Themyst said I dont want to have clown orange hair........

I'd like my hair color to stay the same....

*Hops over to the henna posts to read up on it*

viking_quest
December 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM
I'm really lazy and haven't tried any of the things here. My hair is fine with cones and SLS but after reading all of the posts I think I'll try cone-free (but I'm absolutely afraid of finding splits in my splitless hair) and honey (but I really hate honey so I might not do it).

I also don't brush my hair and only comb and fingercomb it.

fairydust
December 20th, 2008, 03:03 AM
Elichan: I have experienced the same with ACV - my hair gets oily faster when I use it. It doesn't seem to do much anything to my hair, anyways, so I don't really use it anymore. I don't know what it is about ACV that causes it, though, but just wanted to let you know that there is at least one poster with similar a similar experience. I wonder if this is a problem only fine-haired people may have with ACV, or if it concerns all hair types...

Elichan
December 20th, 2008, 03:44 AM
fairydust: thanks! :) I was thinking I was alone with this problem... yes, maybe is because of our fine hair :confused:, I want to try with lemon + water, but I suspect the result is going to be the same :o

fairydust
December 21st, 2008, 04:44 AM
I once tried lemon+water instead of ACV, and that, too made no difference. If I remember correctly, lemon didn't cause any extra oiliness, but it didn't do much good either. I was trying to make my hair appear a shade lighter at the time, hence the lemon rinse experiment. I regularly did honey and/or chamomile tea rinses, and both of them worked wonderfully in making my hair softer and possibly a tiny bit lighter in shade, but as far as pH goes, neither of those work as ACV does in correcting the pH (unless I'm very much mistaken - somebody correct me if I am).

Um Enis
December 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Elichan: I have experienced the same with ACV - my hair gets oily faster when I use it. It doesn't seem to do much anything to my hair, anyways, so I don't really use it anymore. I don't know what it is about ACV that causes it, though,

Maybe because it removes the minerals from that shampoo and closes the cuticle, it allows the sebum to slip down the hair shaft more quickly? Just a guess. I only have to use vinegar when I have hard water.

fairydust
December 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
^^You might on to something there, Um Enis. I don't know much about chemistry, though, but it sounds logical to me. If that is indeed the case, maybe I should just suck it up and start using ACV regurlarly? Seems that it would be a good thing if ACV removes shampoo residue. Then again, the water 'round here is soft, so there's not much need for an ACV rinse. Hmm. What to do? Is ACV really necessary? I use mainly shampoo bars nowadays, and my hair seems to like it. It likes regular shampoo just fine, too, but I've developed a bad conscience over the ecological issues of using commercial shampoo. I'm trying to get rid of my old shampoos and use only organic shampoo bars in the future.

dalriada-lady
December 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Hello almost hair twin! great idea to define a post specifically for us 1B/F/II hairtypes. takes too long to search who has my type then try and find out what and how they do things.

I've tried oils, Shea Butter and ACV.

Oils usually dried my ends and kept the rest of my hair way too greasy. tried EVOO, Coconut, Almond oils, all left hair unhappy and me looking like i had not washed my hair in months.

ACV left hair shiny but flyaway and a bit rough after a couple of days.

Shea butter is the best thing i've found. hair very soft and moisturized, found this recipe, not sure if you know it. Shea butter, Almond oil and Aloe Vera Gel, mixed and used for hair and skin. absolutely fabulous.

I've tried Cones and No Cones. Hair preffers Cones, but found this Alberto V05 Almond and Honey condish which has no cones which my hair likes alot. usually hair breaks and tangles horribly when using no cones, but the above product left my hair soft, shiny and with few tangles. ( of course have used it only twice so maybe more testing is required.) Adore L'oreal Mega Moisture deep treatment condish, ( green cap. ) hair is happy, shiny and looks so healthy and soft when i use this product, no tangles and no breakage. ( have used this product for years with great results.)

Shampoo i usually use either Alberto V05 almond and honey poo or Suave naturals aloe and waterlilly poo. both clean well and very gentle on my hair. once in a while i wash with Suave's clarifying poo to deep clean and remove any buildup.

I also use henna to enhance my red hair. hair loves it when used in moderation (every 3 months.)

Besides the above i use a BBB, keep hair braided daily or bunned and trim hemline every 4 months to keep hemline even since my hair tends to grow in a fairy tale like ends. i guess from breakage and tangles. i'll soon share a pic of my hair washed and combed wet to show the grow patterns. then i'll share a brushed hair pic for comparison. hair looks way different just washed and combed wet then when washed combed wet and then brushed when dry. i've never known why.

frizzinator
December 26th, 2008, 05:22 AM
I'm 1b and over 50 years old. My hair looked good until about 10 years ago when I noticed it was becoming frizzy. Nothing could control the frizz. I spent 4 years reducing my daily washings to once a week. It did not control the frizz but I learned how to tolerate flat hair.

I tried diluting shampoo, extra conditioning, oils, CO and WO, but nothing seemed to control my frizzy hair. Shortly after joining LHC I learned about NW (no water) and SO (sebum only) and I have not washed or rinsed since. My frizz is under control.

The SO method will never give my hair the full volume look, but it makes my hair look smooth. It helps that I learned how to tolerate flat hair because my hair is dependably flat everyday, but I don't mind as long as it's not frizzy.

Here is a photo taken 2 months before I joined LHC. The frizzies are obvious in spite of my efforts to control them.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/10408009.jpg

Here is a photo taken after not having washed or rinsed my hair for one year.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/8508.jpg