PDA

View Full Version : Using products for other uses than their intended use.

lapushka
October 17th, 2017, 08:48 AM
I have a lot of Cantu leave-in, and was wondering if I would be able to use it as a regular conditioner. I have 6 tubs of the stuff (as well as 6 tubs of other stuff too). It was an order at curlmart that went haywire (I am not going to go into it, but I love the way the ladies there resolved it). I gave some products away, but some things I am stuck with, and am generally using, just the amount I still have left scares me. This is a leave-in, I mean, you can imagine I won't use this fast, right? LOL

How about you? Are you perhaps wondering about using something not what it was intended for?

Tell us!

LadyCelestina
October 17th, 2017, 08:56 AM
All the time, really, I'll slap just about anything on my hair :lol:

If you have a lot it's safe to use as a normal conditioner (if you had only a little and it was expensive, then that would be different)

What I never do though (but many do!) is use shower gel as shampoo. It feels icky to me. But the other way around - all the time.

Chromis
October 17th, 2017, 09:06 AM
Lots of people like conditioner as a wool wash. I have a *lot* of wool, so I prefer actual wool wash myself, but it does work. You can often soften a scratchy sweater a bit if you wash it with conditioner. I just donate products that I am not using or didn't work for me (even if it is opened I can leave it on the curb, loads of people walk by and they always find takers), but you can also use shampoo is a cleanser in the bathroom.

lapushka
October 17th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Chromis that's actually a good idea. I am a bit worried though, because Cantu is *thick* stuff, and I mean *thick* so, I don't know if I would put that into the machine, but for a handwash it might be a-OK! Thanks for the idea.

LadyCelestina, I am sure the shower gel is fine! :) And if it works, hey, it works, right?

I think that I will leave the tubs for now, but I am not going to be buying too much more for conditioner (low-buy) and when it gets dire, I am for sure going to try it out. Better than waste it!

Chromis
October 17th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Oh yes, not in the machine, L! This is meant for handwashing only. You dilute the conditioner in lukewarm or cool water, then add your knits gently and swish them around a bit, also very gently. Don't want them to felt! If you are only trying to soften something, you won't need to rinse, but I do prefer to rinse when cleaning them. (There are wool washes that you are meant to not have to rinse, but that seems dodgy to me, so I rinse anyhow even when I use those.)

lapushka
October 17th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Oh yes, not in the machine, L! This is meant for handwashing only. You dilute the conditioner in lukewarm or cool water, then add your knits gently and swish them around a bit, also very gently. Don't want them to felt! If you are only trying to soften something, you won't need to rinse, but I do prefer to rinse when cleaning them. (There are wool washes that you are meant to not have to rinse, but that seems dodgy to me, so I rinse anyhow even when I use those.)

Oooh, that might be good for washing my dad's socks. My mom knitted them and some of the feet (bottoms) go a little hard sometimes, they sometimes come out of a wash hard and sometimes soft - she machine washes on gentle. I think it depends on the material she used to knit them. But that might be a *great* idea to help soften those "harder" ones, just do a hand wash with those. :thumbsup: I am going to be recommending this to my mom, for sure!!!

emilyogini
October 28th, 2019, 04:35 AM
Use creamy conditioner instead of shaving cream, if you want to:)