PDA

View Full Version : Baking soda as a relaxer?

lapushka
October 14th, 2017, 10:46 AM
This was entirely new to me, but apparently it is a thing. She also shows the safe way to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKRQclXCKM

Jo Ann
October 14th, 2017, 06:53 PM
Even though she shows a "safe" way to use baking soda, I thought baking soda was mostly a no-no.

I'm intrigued, but hesitant.

Ulessa
October 14th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I would have thought that baking soda is too damaging, as its used on teeth as well, but i guess perhaps if done right it could be better than using chemicals. I wouldn't think it's good for continual use though?

Dark40
October 14th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Very Interesting lapushka! I thought that baking soda was damaging. Especially for your teeth I guess perhaps if done right it could be better than using chemicals.

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Very Interesting lapushka! I thought that baking soda was damaging. Especially for your teeth I guess perhaps if done right it could be better than using chemicals.

Yes, I think that was the whole idea of the video. Better than chemicals, and on the whole it is NOT OK to use, but if you must and do use it, better do so safely, right?

lucid
October 15th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Baking soda is a chemical compound, NaHCO₃.

I don't get the "no chemicals" thing I often see in hair care. Natural things still contains chemicals, and natural things aren't necessarily safer than non naturally occuring chemical compounds.

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 08:32 AM

I don't get the "no chemicals" thing I often see in hair care. Natural things still contains chemicals, and natural things aren't necessarily safer than non naturally occuring chemical compounds.

Even water is a chemical, no? Or am I wrong in assuming that? :)

LadyCelestina
October 15th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Many people use soaps which are just about as alkaline, and claim to have no visible damage, even after years of use. Granted, it's not for 30 minutes each time, but still...

Another thing is that it doesn't seem to relax the hair too much after 1 use... I suppose that it'll only stay "relaxed" if you absolutely destroy your hair with repeated use. If not, it'll revert back to curly. Or no?

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Many people use soaps which are just about as alkaline, and claim to have no visible damage, even after years of use. Granted, it's not for 30 minutes each time, but still...

Another thing is that it doesn't seem to relax the hair too much after 1 use... I suppose that it'll only stay "relaxed" if you absolutely destroy your hair with repeated use. If not, it'll revert back to curly. Or no?

Good questions! I'm not sure myself. The maker of the video is promising a part 2, and I will post that in this thread and add the link to the 1st message if I can. Maybe there's more info in that video.

But I think the "damage" might be a tad permanent, just MHO.

pandabarrier
October 15th, 2017, 11:11 AM
I use baking soda to unclog my bathroom sink (clogged by occasional shed hair), how that isn’t going to be harsh on hair?

Hairkay
October 15th, 2017, 11:12 AM

I noticed that about soaps. Shed hairs that are tightly curled on clothing end up brown and straight after being washed with detergent.

I don't think using baking soda on the body is a good idea at all. Personally that would be too harsh for me.

lucid
October 15th, 2017, 11:49 AM

Exactly, so it doesn't make sense talking about hair care products without chemicals. :p

reilly0167
October 15th, 2017, 06:28 PM
This was entirely new to me, but apparently it is a thing. She also shows the safe way to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvKRQclXCKM
I noticed that the other day on YouTube, the word baking soda turned me off. Never use that stuff ever again.

Maple
October 16th, 2017, 02:16 AM
I sometimes use baking soda for cleansing in the household but also for hair. I don't find it relaxing, but it cleans very well and naturally. My hair is soft afterwards if I don't use it too often, otherwise it gets dry. It's said it can also be used to remove haircolor, but that hasn't worked well for me.

cheeky
October 16th, 2017, 03:27 PM
I like that woman's channel. She's very informative. It's where I learned rice water is heavy in protein.

Any substance (naturally occurring or not) that eliminates your curl pattern in an instant, is doing damage.

Beeboo123
October 16th, 2017, 03:42 PM
How will this affect the pH balance of the scalp? People with sensitive skin are advised to use pH-balanced cleansers, so I can't imagine that leaving something basic on the scalp for a prolonged period will do it any good.

Hairkay
October 17th, 2017, 10:32 AM
I like that woman's channel. She's very informative. It's where I learned rice water is heavy in protein.

Any substance (naturally occurring or not) that eliminates your curl pattern in an instant, is doing damage.

I saw the one on rice water. I don't call something with less than 20% protein in it , protein heavy. Protein heavy would be more than 50% at least. Rice water could be considered a mild protein rinse.

Anje
October 17th, 2017, 11:12 AM

Exactly, so it doesn't make sense talking about hair care products without chemicals. :p

I *only* clean *my* hair under high vacuum! :rollin:

LadyCelestina
October 17th, 2017, 12:28 PM
How will this affect the pH balance of the scalp? People with sensitive skin are advised to use pH-balanced cleansers, so I can't imagine that leaving something basic on the scalp for a prolonged period will do it any good.

Probably badly. I think most harsh chemicals people slap on their heads are alkaline (bleaches, relaxers etc.) and bad scalp reactions are pretty common.

Afanen
October 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Baking soda is a 9 on the pH scale, pure water is a 7. Hair prefers a slightly acidic pH.
Sea water is an 8 though, and using salt sprays makes my hair a lot wavier. So does diluted vinegar, with a pH of around 5-6. I don't know how it would relax hair based on that.
Diluted I don't really see how there would be much of a problem, as long as it's completely dissolved. I feel like the abrasiveness probably scrapes the cuticle of the hair leading to all the damage (cringe sorry lol.)

Beeboo123
October 18th, 2017, 06:31 AM
... scrapes the cuticle of the hair leading to all the damage (cringe sorry lol.)

That made me wince. Ouch!

lapushka
October 28th, 2017, 10:53 AM
This is part 2 of the baking soda video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtA6iSlDGnk