PDA

View Full Version : Hair seems dry

2gaits
October 13th, 2017, 08:20 PM
I've been working on growing out my hair for a year now. I do have some growth with a few trims. What I've noticed is that my hair seems dry and I'm worried about it just seeming more damaged as it grows. I do color and my hairdresser puts what she calls baby highlights in it. Color fades. I typically wash and dry daily. I can't stand the grimy feel of unwashed hair. I've tried co washing and was losing a lot shedding. Sulfate free is not that great either. I use it's a 10 leave in. Hair is shoulder length. Any ideas for the dryness? I would like to stop coloring but about three or four months in it looks terrible. So faded out.

lithostoic
October 13th, 2017, 08:51 PM
I didn't see you mention anything about deep conditioning. That's essential.

FallingDarkness
October 13th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Could you maybe try a day and a half washes? Like, every 36 hours, you wash. Or does your schedule not allow for that? It could ease you in to being able to stretch your washes, which could be truly amazing for the state of your hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 13th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Washing your hair daily can certainly make your hair very dry.

Do you use moisturising conditioners and do deep treatments on your hair? You can also try stroking one drop of oil through it.

Also using your shampoo diluted well with water will prevent it from being so harsh on your hair, but the best thing may just be to not wash it every day, it doesn't need to be washed that often, and the natural oils your scalp produces are good for your hair.

Aredhel
October 13th, 2017, 10:00 PM
From what little you've told us, your hair sounds not unlike my own; conditioner on the scalp causes massive shedding, can't do sulfate-free, and I used to wash my hair daily for the same reason as you. My hair was extremely dry back then too. I wash my hair twice a week now (even just every other day would be better for you than daily, if your hair is super dry), or you could benefit from deep conditioning - as Litho suggested. What has also really helped me keep the dryness at bay (I have bleached ends that dry out very easily) is using a very moisture-rich leave-in conditioner, as well as a conditioning oil-based salve. :)

*Wednesday*
October 13th, 2017, 10:35 PM
If you want to be zealous about growing hair long, highlighting no matter how minimal is drying to the hair. Especially in combo with root to tip coloring every 4-8 weeks. There are other methods such as keeping your hair one color, and just retouching the roots and that's it. If you must color.

Where there is dryness splits and breakage will occur. As hair grows longer the ends become older and weeker even in the healthiest hair. That shoulder length hair which may be dry from chemical damage by the time it is APL or BSL may need microtrims to remove breakage or splits. A very common problem with length retention and hair goals. Sometimes you can't have it both ways if the condition of your hair is not at it's best.

queenbee1
October 13th, 2017, 11:03 PM
I've been working on growing out my hair for a year now. I do have some growth with a few trims. What I've noticed is that my hair seems dry and I'm worried about it just seeming more damaged as it grows. I do color and my hairdresser puts what she calls baby highlights in it. Color fades. I typically wash and dry daily. I can't stand the grimy feel of unwashed hair. I've tried co washing and was losing a lot shedding. Sulfate free is not that great either. I use it's a 10 leave in. Hair is shoulder length. Any ideas for the dryness? I would like to stop coloring but about three or four months in it looks terrible. So faded out.

Try washing 36 hours like a poster suggested above? You can stretch from there adding an hour each week. Are you sure it's dry and not damaged? You might want to try out SMTs

queenbee1
October 13th, 2017, 11:06 PM
I didn't see you mention anything about deep conditioning. That's essential.

Can you give me suggestions about deep conditioners other than SMTs and henna? I would like advice. Pretty please :)

queenbee1
October 13th, 2017, 11:08 PM
Washing your hair daily can certainly make your hair very dry.

Do you use moisturising conditioners and do deep treatments on your hair? You can also try stroking one drop of oil through it.

Also using your shampoo diluted well with water will prevent it from being so harsh on your hair, but the best thing may just be to not wash it every day, it doesn't need to be washed that often, and the natural oils your scalp produces are good for your hair.

Exactly this! Also you might want to look into the LOC, ROOM and WCC methods

lapushka
October 14th, 2017, 07:03 AM

Yes, bleach is notorious for dry hair. Just use conditioners for dry, damaged hair (as those are the most moisturizing on the market). And condition well after a wash. I use the WCC method, so I condition twice after a sulfate wash to combat the dryness of the shampoo.

The method is mentioned in my signature. LOC/LCO might be something for you to try as well. That's in my signature too.

lapushka
October 14th, 2017, 07:03 AM
Can you give me suggestions about deep conditioners other than SMTs and henna? I would like advice. Pretty please :)

The Garnier Whole Blends line should have good ones!

2gaits
October 14th, 2017, 09:45 AM
What is SMT? And LOC? I do think I have some damage from coloring. I don't mind my natural roots growing in but the colored ends fade and get brassy. I occasionally deep condition or oil but probably not enough. I'm going to try every other day washing as much as possible. I work and leave the house by seven in the morning and I have to look professional. I'm thinking I need to really embrace braids and updos.

lithostoic
October 14th, 2017, 11:42 AM
What is SMT? And LOC? I do think I have some damage from coloring. I don't mind my natural roots growing in but the colored ends fade and get brassy. I occasionally deep condition or oil but probably not enough. I'm going to try every other day washing as much as possible. I work and leave the house by seven in the morning and I have to look professional. I'm thinking I need to really embrace braids and updos.

I second Garnier products, love them! I personally prefer Shea Moisture deep conditioners but they may be too heavy for someone with hair that is oilier or finer than mine.

SMT stands for Snowymoon's Moisture Treatment, in which you mix conditioner, aloe vera, and honey and use that as a deep treatment. LOC stands for liquid/leave in, oil, and cream. That's one way to order the layering of products after washing.

Braids are a great way to style oily hair, and as a point of reference I deep condition once a month!

lapushka
October 14th, 2017, 12:29 PM

Like I mentioned the links to the appropriate threads (LOC/LCO) are in my signature. You can read up on it there, all of it is there explanation included. :flower: It is a little much to explain it over and over again, each time someone asks, so I linked it. :)

SMT is this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Dark40
October 14th, 2017, 08:27 PM
If you wash your hair daily without deep conditioning once or twice a month cause dryness. If you bleach or color your hair. Or, if you do all of the things to your hair it can cause lots of dryness. The best thing for it to prevent damage and dryness is to do deep moisturizing treatments once or twice a week. I relax and color-treat my hair but I deep condition twice a week.

2gaits
October 15th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it would help to be more vigilant about deep conditioning. I'm also going to try to wash every other day as much as possible. Wish me luck with that as I dislike 2nd day hair but it is getting a bit easier as I gain some length and can put it up.