PDA

View Full Version : Best conditioner ever/ingredient talk

manuGmz
October 9th, 2017, 02:56 AM
You know how they say that the conditioners that come with the box dye are the best? Well, the one that comes with Garnier Nutrisse is a million times better than anything I have ever tried. http://oi68.tinypic.com/b620e9.jpg

But I just can't figure out what exactly makes it so much better than the regular Garnier conditioner. This one is the Avocado and Shea butter one: http://oi64.tinypic.com/4ka96w.jpg

What do you think?

Siv
October 9th, 2017, 03:44 AM
Well, let's see what differences I can discern. Generally, the higher up an ingredient is, the more there is of it in the product. The first conditioner has mineral oil as the third ingredient, while the second has palm oil as the third ingredient. The other first ingredients are the same for both conditioners. The first one has the other plant oils higher up in the ingredient list than the second one. Also, I see glycerin (a humectant) in the second but not in the third - though I don't know that there aren't any other humectants in the first one, but I'd wager there are less of them.

Some hairs don't like much humectants depending on the climate you live in, so that could be a thing. Very humid or very dry weather could cause either frizz or dryness with a lot of humectants. In my experience palm oil is a penetrating plant oil and soaks into my hair better than mineral oil, which means mineral oil is a better detangler/"smoother" for my hair, while palm oil gives me more elasticity. I think, the first one has a lot of mineral oil as well as penetrating plant oils (like olive oil, black currant oil) while the second has more penetrating plant oils and detangling ingredients further down the list (avocado oil). They all contain some of each, and it's difficult to say exactly how the conditioners are going to work based off of just an ingredient list, but that's my guess. There are other detangling ingredients than mineral oil, like behentrimonium chloride, which both conditioners have a high amount of. I think it's an issue of proportions.

lapushka
October 9th, 2017, 04:20 AM
I'm willing to bet the mineral oil high up on the list is the "culprit" here. I have had another conditioner, well a mask to be precise (from le petit Marseillais) that had mineral oil high up on the list (not as high) and that was almost as good as the conditioners that you get with dye.

I have a mask here by "Mega Growth", their anti-breakage mask, with MO high up on the list, that I have put aside here to try out as well. I have to get through my Aunt Jackie masks first though, before I'm going to try that one. But I'm willing to bet it's going to be great! :)

leayellena
October 10th, 2017, 12:05 AM
I´ve shared 2 links in my blog and what products I´d recommend (sorry, some of the products I recommend may not be available in your country): http://leayellena.blogspot.de/2017/05/cosmetic-products.html

manuGmz
October 11th, 2017, 01:33 AM
Well, let's see what differences I can discern. Generally, the higher up an ingredient is, the more there is of it in the product. The first conditioner has mineral oil as the third ingredient, while the second has palm oil as the third ingredient. The other first ingredients are the same for both conditioners. The first one has the other plant oils higher up in the ingredient list than the second one. Also, I see glycerin (a humectant) in the second but not in the third - though I don't know that there aren't any other humectants in the first one, but I'd wager there are less of them.

Some hairs don't like much humectants depending on the climate you live in, so that could be a thing. Very humid or very dry weather could cause either frizz or dryness with a lot of humectants. In my experience palm oil is a penetrating plant oil and soaks into my hair better than mineral oil, which means mineral oil is a better detangler/"smoother" for my hair, while palm oil gives me more elasticity. I think, the first one has a lot of mineral oil as well as penetrating plant oils (like olive oil, black currant oil) while the second has more penetrating plant oils and detangling ingredients further down the list (avocado oil). They all contain some of each, and it's difficult to say exactly how the conditioners are going to work based off of just an ingredient list, but that's my guess. There are other detangling ingredients than mineral oil, like behentrimonium chloride, which both conditioners have a high amount of. I think it's an issue of proportions.

Yup, I'm a dew point follower, definitely avoiding humectants during the winter. But it's not that other conditioners don't work, or dry my hair, is just that this one is highly superior. It instantly softens crunchy ends like I've never seen. I just gave that second conditioner for comparison because it has avocado and shea. I thought the proportions were the thing, but it's just so disappointing...I have no chance of finding the same thing separately from the dye.

I'm willing to bet the mineral oil high up on the list is the "culprit" here. I have had another conditioner, well a mask to be precise (from le petit Marseillais) that had mineral oil high up on the list (not as high) and that was almost as good as the conditioners that you get with dye.

I have a mask here by "Mega Growth", their anti-breakage mask, with MO high up on the list, that I have put aside here to try out as well. I have to get through my Aunt Jackie masks first though, before I'm going to try that one. But I'm willing to bet it's going to be great!

I dug up my stash in search for others with mineral oil and just found the Garnier Argan & Camellia mask and the L'Oreal Extraordinary Oil mask. But none of these wowed me.

http://oi67.tinypic.com/241m2k9.jpg http://oi67.tinypic.com/219usjo.jpg

I am now hunting for conditioners with mineral oil, no humectants and preferably oils in it. I have no chance, though. Everything I've seen so far is the exact opposite.:( They all have glycerin among the first ingredients, silicones (which I don't really need, because I use a leave-in serum) and nothing really conditioning.

pailin
October 11th, 2017, 02:00 AM
For me, conditioners with glycerin high in the list are wonderful - they leave my hair feeling sooooo nice. But I also live in a hot, humid place. I've more recently discovered mineral oil as a rinse out oil, and it is magic! So one thing you could try is just using a few drops of baby oil (just make sure it's one like the original j&j where the main ingredient is mineral oil). I've used it before my conditioner (between the first and second conditioner application, since I usually do it twice), and I've also used it as a few drops post-conditioner; I rinse with a water a little afterwards just to help distribute it. It does leave hair feeling nice, helps with detangling, and cuts down frizz.
You might also try just adding a few drops of baby oil to the conditioner in your hand before putting it in your hair.

manuGmz
October 11th, 2017, 02:14 AM
For me, conditioners with glycerin high in the list are wonderful - they leave my hair feeling sooooo nice. But I also live in a hot, humid place. I've more recently discovered mineral oil as a rinse out oil, and it is magic! So one thing you could try is just using a few drops of baby oil (just make sure it's one like the original j&j where the main ingredient is mineral oil). I've used it before my conditioner (between the first and second conditioner application, since I usually do it twice), and I've also used it as a few drops post-conditioner; I rinse with a water a little afterwards just to help distribute it. It does leave hair feeling nice, helps with detangling, and cuts down frizz.
You might also try just adding a few drops of baby oil to the conditioner in your hand before putting it in your hair.

During the summer, I use a lot of humectants, too. I also make hair mists with aloe, glycerin, honey, etc. But during the winter, we have dry cold that's so bad, if I go out with my hair down, I come back with a million white dots.
I already had the baby oil on my shopping list. The one I already have also has aloe in it (got it before researching properly, but it's still good for the body) and I have to get the classic one. Will try all that, thank you.

Dark40
October 13th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I love conditioners that comes in the box dye kits. Especially, Clairol Nice N' Easy ColorSeal!!! My hair also love conditioners that have a high list of glycerins as well. They always help my hair to feel and look nice.

pailin
October 14th, 2017, 10:35 AM
During the summer, I use a lot of humectants, too. I also make hair mists with aloe, glycerin, honey, etc. But during the winter, we have dry cold that's so bad, if I go out with my hair down, I come back with a million white dots.
I already had the baby oil on my shopping list. The one I already have also has aloe in it (got it before researching properly, but it's still good for the body) and I have to get the classic one. Will try all that, thank you.

If you already have the one with aloe, you could go ahead and try that first, as long as it looks like the main ingredient is mineral oil. There's probably not very much aloe, and aloe can be nice for hair too anyway.

Siv
October 15th, 2017, 06:31 AM
Sooo this is the second time I've tried my hand at a Crappy Chemistry experiment.. First I made a "DIY chelating shampoo" which turned out okay, and this time I've tried to make a useless conditioner into a nice conditioner by adding mineral oil, inspired by this thread. I just washed my hair with it, and it's currently drying so I won't know the results for another ~4 hours or so :sigh:

In the mean-time, if anyone's interested, my little experiment went like this:

I tried finding out how much mineral oil/liquid paraffin is usually in condtioners containing those, and found a book called "Hair and Haircare" on Google Books that had a bunch of DIY hair products. Their deep conditioners with mineral oil had about 2 weight percent mineral oil.

(BTW, I use metric, but I'll translate at the end so you imperial folk, please bear with me)

2 percent of a 500 ml conditioner = 10 ml.
10 ml of 510 ml is 1.96%, so pretty close to 2 percent.
2 tsp ≈ 10 ml.

Hence, I should add about 10 ml mineral oil to a bottle of 500 ml conditioner.

500 ml = 17 fl. oz. and 10 ml = 0.34 fl. oz., which is roughly 2 teaspoons. Just calculate roughly 2% out of the amount of conditioner you're using, and since conditioner bottles are usually so small, this should be roughly the right amount.

I've tried COOP XTRA conditioner before, because it's sooo affordable (≈ 2 USD!), but it does nothing for my hair. These are the ingredients:

Aqua - moisture
Cetearyl Alcohol - emollient
Cetrimonium Chloride - emulsifier, antistatic
PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate - emulsifier, emollient
Citric Acid - pH-balancer
Parfum - smelly
Sodium Benzoate - preservative
Potassium Sorbate - preservative

Emollient: provides slip, and film former (seals the hair cuticle)
Emulsifier: makes ingredients mix and not separate (like oil and water)

Mineral oil is an emollient, but there aren't enough of similar ingredients in this conditioner, so I want to see if adding mineral oil will help.

I figured I'd YOLO it and just mix the conditioner and oil without heating or anything. Normally I think you add oil (among other things) while the mixture is heated, and then cool it before adding other ingredients, so I thought heating the conditioner might destroy some properties (but what do I know?). I wasn't sure if the emulsifiers would emulsify the oil into the conditioner without the heat, or wether there were even enough emulsifiers (or the right kind?) for added mineral oil. But, at the same time, I thought I'd only lose ≈ 2 USD if it all went "to the forest" as we say in Swedish. So, I poured the conditioner into a 750 ml pump bottle, poured roughly 2 tsp of mineral oil in there, closed the lid and shook it well. Then I hopped into the shower and did everything else I usually do - pre-poo with palm oil, shampoo, and then condition. I figured if all else is the same, and I know the conditioner usually doesn't work with that routine, I'll know if the mineral oil makes a difference.

By the way, I've tried Lapushka's ROO with mineral oil several times with varying amounts of oil, because it would be so neat if I could get it to work, but my hair can't seem to take even a single drop of pure mineral oil :( Only products with mineral oil in them work for me (even products with a looot of mineral oil!), and they work quite wonderfully too - but they are difficult to get a hold of.

TBC...

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 09:53 AM
By the way, I've tried Lapushka's ROO with mineral oil several times with varying amounts of oil, because it would be so neat if I could get it to work, but my hair can't seem to take even a single drop of pure mineral oil :( Only products with mineral oil in them work for me (even products with a looot of mineral oil!), and they work quite wonderfully too - but they are difficult to get a hold of.

Aw that's too bad; but it's not for everyone, I get that. :o

Keep us posted once your hair is dry. I'm glad you calculated the amount, because you usually (even in ROO) don't need to use a lot of mineral oil (it can turn oily *fast*).

Siv
October 15th, 2017, 01:32 PM
Aw that's too bad; but it's not for everyone, I get that. :o

Keep us posted once your hair is dry. I'm glad you calculated the amount, because you usually (even in ROO) don't need to use a lot of mineral oil (it can turn oily *fast*).

Well, something weird happened.

When I CWC (or OWC, rather), I never pre-oil my canopy with palm oil, only my lengths, and then I condition my lengths and shampoo the entirety, and let that sit for a few minutes to remove the palm oil. After washing that out, I condition the entirety and let that sit for a few minutes. The last condition is where I applied the conditioner/baby oil mix. Somehow, my canopy turned out decently soft - better than with just shampoo but not quite like my favourite conditioners. My lengths, that had been palm oiled previously, were oily. I'm not sure why. One thing could be that my last condition usually removes the last bit of palm oil left in there, and somehow the conditioner/baby oil mix didn't do that. The other option I can think of is that I apply more conditioner to my lengths and that was too much baby oil for my hair. But, judging by the state of my canopy where I applied less conditioner, I'm honestly not super impressed with how the mix turned out. It's about the same as with just conditioner. Too much effort for too little pay off, I'll say. (Well, the research and calculations were the effort part - mixing the oil and conditioner took 10 seconds!) I think, personally, I'd be better off just going with a regular conditioner :lol: However, for anyone who does do well with mineral oil, one take-away is that mixing it with conditioner really enhanced the spreadability. One issue I've had with mineral oil while trying ROO is that if I try to apply just one or two drops, they just kind of stay wherever I stroke first and don't get to the rest of the hair - leaving me just with a couple of greasy streaks. This time, the oil really got to the entire hair!

Another weird turn of events - I used Nivea Natural Oil Shower (it's called "pampering oil" in some countries) to wash out the greasiness, and I really thought it wouldn't work, but since I was taking time to experiment on my hair today - why not? These are the ingredients:

Glycine Soja Oil, MIPA Laureth Sulfate, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA, Parfum Citric Acid, Aqua, BHT, Propyl Gallate, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Farnesol, Geraniol.

Considering the soja oil and castor oil so high up in the ingredient list I thought it could go very well or very wrong.. Guess what? It went superbly. My hair is super soft and super shiny and super detangled and super bouncy and I'm not sure what to think. I actually tried it because I've been trying to find a good 2in1 shampoo/conditioner for my SO that doesn't smell like a lovely summer's meadow, and figured this might work because of the ingredients. I was blown away. This is the best drug store product I've ever used on my hair (except Aussie) and it's a shower gel?! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought I'd mention it since soja oil, like mineral oil, is an oil that just coats the hair shaft so it might be a nice alternative for some people. Personally I have dry, fine, 1c/2a hair so texture may play a role here.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that this shower gel just successfully replaced both shampoo and conditioner for me...

ETA: Oh! And Eucerin has a shower oil with the same first 5 ingredients (in the same order even) and also the rest of the ingredients are similar - Eucerin has more fatty alcohols, however. The Eucerin one you can also get with or without perfume. You can get refills for it too, and if you do the litre price is actually slightly lower than for Nivea.

lapushka
October 15th, 2017, 01:45 PM
When I CWC (or OWC, rather), I never pre-oil my canopy with palm oil, only my lengths, and then I condition my lengths and shampoo the entirety, and let that sit for a few minutes to remove the palm oil. After washing that out, I condition the entirety and let that sit for a few minutes. The last condition is where I applied the conditioner/baby oil mix. Somehow, my canopy turned out decently soft - better than with just shampoo but not quite like my favourite conditioners. My lengths, that had been palm oiled previously, were oily. I'm not sure why. One thing could be that my last condition usually removes the last bit of palm oil left in there, and somehow the conditioner/baby oil mix didn't do that. The other option I can think of is that I apply more conditioner to my lengths and that was too much baby oil for my hair. But, judging by the state of my canopy where I applied less conditioner, I'm honestly not super impressed with how the mix turned out. It's about the same as with just conditioner. Too much effort for too little pay off, I'll say. (Well, the research and calculations were the effort part - mixing the oil and conditioner took 10 seconds!) I think, personally, I'd be better off just going with a regular conditioner :lol: However, for anyone who does do well with mineral oil, one take-away is that mixing it with conditioner really enhanced the spreadability. One issue I've had with mineral oil while trying ROO is that if I try to apply just one or two drops, they just kind of stay wherever I stroke first and don't get to the rest of the hair - leaving me just with a couple of greasy streaks. This time, the oil really got to the entire hair!

Hmm. If you put more on your lengths then that is probably the mineral oil - I *knew* it was oil waiting to happen, but even in that small an amount, I was not quite expecting it from this experiment... you were really careful with mixing it up (only a few ml). Maybe it's too much the same as ROO, where you basically just put some MO on the hair in between conditioners, mixing it in there might just have the same effect.

Another weird turn of events - I used Nivea Natural Oil Shower (it's called "pampering oil" in some countries) to wash out the greasiness, and I really thought it wouldn't work, but since I was taking time to experiment on my hair today - why not? These are the ingredients:

Glycine Soja Oil, MIPA Laureth Sulfate, Ricinus Communis Seed Oil, Laureth-4, Cocamide DEA, Parfum Citric Acid, Aqua, BHT, Propyl Gallate, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Farnesol, Geraniol.

Considering the soja oil and castor oil so high up in the ingredient list I thought it could go very well or very wrong.. Guess what? It went superbly. My hair is super soft and super shiny and super detangled and super bouncy and I'm not sure what to think. I actually tried it because I've been trying to find a good 2in1 shampoo/conditioner for my SO that doesn't smell like a lovely summer's meadow, and figured this might work because of the ingredients. I was blown away. This is the best drug store product I've ever used on my hair (except Aussie) and it's a shower gel?! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I thought I'd mention it since soja oil, like mineral oil, is an oil that just coats the hair shaft so it might be a nice alternative for some people. Personally I have dry, fine, 1c/2a hair so texture may play a role here.

I'm still trying to get over the fact that this shower gel just successfully replaced both shampoo and conditioner for me...

ETA: Oh! And Eucerin has a shower oil with the same first 5 ingredients (in the same order even) and also the rest of the ingredients are similar - Eucerin has more fatty alcohols, however. The Eucerin one you can also get with or without perfume. You can get refills for it too, and if you do the litre price is actually slightly lower than for Nivea.

There is a sulfate in the shower wash, a milder one, but still one; I'm not that surprised if it was only marginally oily.

But I can totally understand why it's not worth it to do again. What are you going to do with the left over conditioner? Maybe you could use it in small amounts as a ROO application - maybe that would work!

Siv
October 15th, 2017, 11:55 PM
There is a sulfate in the shower wash, a milder one, but still one; I'm not that surprised if it was only marginally oily.

But I can totally understand why it's not worth it to do again. What are you going to do with the left over conditioner? Maybe you could use it in small amounts as a ROO application - maybe that would work!

My ends have been looking particularly scraggly for awhile and I just hate S&Ding (I dunno why I find it so boring!) so I might use it on my very ends while showering. I don't mind if they look a bit oily and I usually heavily oil them after showering anyway with OGX argan oil, which is probably more silicones than argan oil anyway! It's probably going to take me a life-time to run out of it though :P If all goes well maybe I can slowly work my way up to using it as a ROO :)

manuGmz
October 16th, 2017, 03:14 AM
It's funny you mentioned Nivea, because they have hair products over here and I was just using them. So what I did was mix a bit of baby oil into the first C (I was using this one
http://oi64.tinypic.com/11ijtdd.jpg
I just put it in my hand, so pretty much eyeballed it. Then, I shampooed and did the second C (which was this one
http://oi66.tinypic.com/29as6ye.jpg
The idea was to use the same products as before and only add the oil, so I can tell if there was a difference. I didn't see a difference; I'm not sure if that's because the second C cleaned out the oil. I'm thinking that mixing the oil with the second C would leave my hair greasy? I don't wanna have to wash it again the same day.
The only things containing mineral oil that I found are leave-ins. The Mythic Oil that I already had, but only works sometimes.
http://oi68.tinypic.com/2uj57r7.jpg
And a Dove serum that I only tried once and still needed my regular one on top.
http://oi67.tinypic.com/qpp3pz.jpg

lapushka
October 16th, 2017, 07:35 AM
We have had the Nivea hairmilk shampoo in Belgium for a while now. I find it confusing as it doesn't go by oily, dry, normal hair (the state of your scalp), but strand thickness. Totally odd and a "novelty", in my book. But the conditioners we don't have yet, I don't think. :hmm:

manuGmz
October 16th, 2017, 08:13 AM
We have had the Nivea hairmilk shampoo in Belgium for a while now. I find it confusing as it doesn't go by oily, dry, normal hair (the state of your scalp), but strand thickness. Totally odd and a "novelty", in my book. But the conditioners we don't have yet, I don't think. :hmm:

The shampoos say they're for "dry, damaged hair" here.
I find that with their products, shampoos are as conditioning as conditioners and conditioners as cleansing enough to be used on their own. They're all very buttery.

pailin
October 16th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I know I can get a number of conditioners containing mineral oil here, but I'm in Asia. I think though, that mineral oil in hair products has perhaps been demonized somewhat like silicones, so that may be why you're not finding it.
Also, just checking, but have you looked for "paraffinum liquidum" or "liquid paraffin" (something like that) in the ingredients? Because that's basically the same thing and I don't think everyone knows that. For example, we get Boots stuff here and LOTS of it has that on the list (including all their skin oils, which is why I stopped using them - turns out it's fantastic for my hair, but terrible for my skin; seems to predispose me to heat rash, and I live in a pretty hot place).

I've never heard of hair products being labeled for hair texture. It's an interesting idea, but I'd probably take it with a lot of salt- fine is often assumed to be thin, and usually straight as well. And people often recommend only very lightweight stuff for fine hair which is not nearly enough for me. But I'd probably try it!

manuGmz
October 16th, 2017, 08:59 AM
I know I can get a number of conditioners containing mineral oil here, but I'm in Asia. I think though, that mineral oil in hair products has perhaps been demonized somewhat like silicones, so that may be why you're not finding it.
Also, just checking, but have you looked for "paraffinum liquidum" or "liquid paraffin" (something like that) in the ingredients? Because that's basically the same thing and I don't think everyone knows that. For example, we get Boots stuff here and LOTS of it has that on the list (including all their skin oils, which is why I stopped using them - turns out it's fantastic for my hair, but terrible for my skin; seems to predispose me to heat rash, and I live in a pretty hot place).

We should start demonizing glycerin, because I can't for the life of me find a conditioner that doesn't have it in the top ingredients ;)
I have looked at different names for mineral oil, but no success.
I didn't realize Boots made hair care, but they just stopped shipping here, for some odd reason.

I've never heard of hair products being labeled for hair texture. It's an interesting idea, but I'd probably take it with a lot of salt- fine is often assumed to be thin, and usually straight as well. And people often recommend only very lightweight stuff for fine hair which is not nearly enough for me. But I'd probably try it!

It's the same with me, I got the conditioner for fine hair, knowing that it might not be enough. It was more cleansing than I thought, but kept my hair weightless and I don't like that; I like it smoothed down even if it's fine and thin. So then I got the one for thick hair, and, as expected, it smoothed it down nicely. So now I use them both, but depending on what my hair's mood is at the moment.

pailin
October 16th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Wow, that's a twisted kind of funny. I love glycerin, and not many conditioners here have it in the top 5 ingredients. Sort of opposite to you and mineral oil.

And I agree with you about the weight - while I don't appreciate my hair's tendency to be flat on top, I usually want to weigh it down -way too much frizz and flyaways.

lapushka
October 16th, 2017, 10:45 AM
The shampoos say they're for "dry, damaged hair" here.
I find that with their products, shampoos are as conditioning as conditioners and conditioners as cleansing enough to be used on their own. They're all very buttery.

Ooh that sounds too good not to find out what it does on my hair (if they ever get here). :)

I should check my ingredients sometime. I stopped checking a while ago. Except when I had the "le petit marseillais" product, that was the time I demonized silicones and it was chock full of silicones that mask and had mineral oil. And now I love those products. Go figure. :lol:

manuGmz
October 17th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Ooh that sounds too good not to find out what it does on my hair (if they ever get here). :)

I should check my ingredients sometime. I stopped checking a while ago. Except when I had the "le petit marseillais" product, that was the time I demonized silicones and it was chock full of silicones that mask and had mineral oil. And now I love those products. Go figure. :lol:

For the first time, we get something first. Usually, we have to wait for a few years, until the hype is gone :D

I didn't find that Petit Marseillais mask. They all had glycerin high up, so I'll check them out in the spring.

lapushka
October 17th, 2017, 04:10 AM
For the first time, we get something first. Usually, we have to wait for a few years, until the hype is gone :D

I didn't find that Petit Marseillais mask. They all had glycerin high up, so I'll check them out in the spring.

I don't think the Nivea shampoo is a big seller in this country. From the people around me, it's not a thing they are willing to try. People rather go by oily, normal, dry hair, rather than by guessing whether or not a shampoo is going to be cleansing enough.

It's an old mask, the petit Marseillais one, with an aluminum top, at least that's how they sold it more than 10 years ago (yes that long ago). So things might have changed a bit. :) ;)

manuGmz
October 17th, 2017, 04:22 AM
I don't think the Nivea shampoo is a big seller in this country. From the people around me, it's not a thing they are willing to try. People rather go by oily, normal, dry hair, rather than by guessing whether or not a shampoo is going to be cleansing enough.

Ah, well that explains it. People are on a money rush over here, buying everything and anything. So if they're new, they're flying off the shelves.

It's an old mask, the petit Marseillais one, with an aluminum top, at least that's how they sold it more than 10 years ago (yes that long ago). So things might have changed a bit. :) ;)

We have the olive one, the karite&honey and the colored hair one. The karite&honey is really winking at me, but the glycerin is the third, so it'll have to wait. They still have the aluminium top.

lapushka
October 17th, 2017, 05:01 AM
We have the olive one, the karite&honey and the colored hair one. The karite&honey is really winking at me, but the glycerin is the third, so it'll have to wait. They still have the aluminium top.

I had the karité + honey one. I'm going to find an image... this one:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51rVtrM6jjL._SY355_.jpg

They have long ago stopped selling this here! At least, I can't find it anywhere.

manuGmz
October 17th, 2017, 05:05 AM
I had the karité + honey one. I'm going to find an image... this one:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51rVtrM6jjL._SY355_.jpg

They have long ago stopped selling this here! At least, I can't find it anywhere.

They changed the label: https://www.cora.ro/masca-nutritiva-cu-lapte-de-karite-si-miere-le-petit-marseillais-300ml-P-2467579
Maybe I should get it for my vacation next week...it's supposed to be humid enough there.

Siv
October 18th, 2017, 02:29 PM
It's funny you mentioned Nivea, because they have hair products over here and I was just using them. So what I did was mix a bit of baby oil into the first C [...] I just put it in my hand, so pretty much eyeballed it. Then, I shampooed and did the second C [...] The idea was to use the same products as before and only add the oil, so I can tell if there was a difference. I didn't see a difference; I'm not sure if that's because the second C cleaned out the oil. I'm thinking that mixing the oil with the second C would leave my hair greasy? I don't wanna have to wash it again the same day. [...]

In my experience, conditioners wash out vegetable oils, but not mineral oil. I'm not sure why, but both mineral oil and silicones wash out with sulphates only (for me, at least) and both are inorganic, so maybe it has something to do with that? Either way, I think this is why I'm having such issues "dosing" mineral oil - if I use it with a first C, the shampoo washes it out completely and if I use it with/before/after the second C it all stays in the hair and goes greasy. Greasiness shows really easily in my hair, too...

I haven't had time to experiment with my conditioner/mineral oil mix since I last posted, since I left town to work for a few days. Tomorrow I'm having surgery and moving in with the 'rents for a few days of post-surgery-at-home-care so I likely won't be able to experiment for some time - but still. Using baby oil and conditioner as a second C did make my hair greasy like you fear, yes. I could try using it with a lighter application next time, to see if that makes a difference.