PDA

View Full Version : Did I Get the Wrong Boar Bristle Brush?

GrowlingCupcake
October 8th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I bought a boar bristle brush from Ulta a bit ago. It's nice but it doesn't get through all the layers of my hair - and my hair isn't even thick - unless I sort of rub it in first. I've been brushing my hair with a regular brush to get rid of tangles, and then with this to try to spread the oil better.

Did I mess up and get the wrong brush or am I just too used to plastic-bristled brushes?

Lizzie.torp
October 8th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Boar bristle brushes only really brush through the top layer of my hair so I have to section it a lot to use it. I think it's pretty normal. These days I use a wood comb to distribute oil and my BBB just smooths hair for updos and such. I could still use the BBB to distribute oil, but the wood comb works quite well.

GrowlingCupcake
October 8th, 2017, 10:16 PM
Well, that explains it. I've been sectioning my hair when I brush it with the BBB but I thought it was because I was doing something wrong or got the wrong one.

I may have to look into a wooden comb at some point.

Thanks!

lapushka
October 9th, 2017, 06:41 AM
BBBs, especially if you have thicker hair (like iii), are known for not getting through to the scalp. That is why I have a mixed BBB with nylon pins. It doesn't get through totally either, but it's better. I have long ago put away my BBB, because I have textured hair and it kills the wave pattern for me.

spidermom
October 9th, 2017, 11:46 AM
There are stiffer and softer boar bristles. I have a brush from each end of the spectrum, I think. I don't favor them except for spreading oil because they cause a lot of static.

You can push your hand against the bristles of the brush, sandwiching the hair between the brush and your hand. This ensures penetration of the bristles.

GrowlingCupcake
October 9th, 2017, 04:26 PM
BBBs, especially if you have thicker hair (like iii), are known for not getting through to the scalp. That is why I have a mixed BBB with nylon pins. It doesn't get through totally either, but it's better. I have long ago put away my BBB, because I have textured hair and it kills the wave pattern for me.

I may have to try the mixed one at some point. Brushing pretty much removes the wave pattern for me though it comes back if I just leave it down for a bit - great for looking stringy, and a hot mess when you're out! -, but I always have it bunned, braided or in a pony tail.

What would you recommend for spreading oil other than the mixed one?

GrowlingCupcake
October 9th, 2017, 04:27 PM
There are stiffer and softer boar bristles. I have a brush from each end of the spectrum, I think. I don't favor them except for spreading oil because they cause a lot of static.

You can push your hand against the bristles of the brush, sandwiching the hair between the brush and your hand. This ensures penetration of the bristles.

I haven't noticed the static yet, but my hair is static-y quite often. I'll try the hand thing since right now I'm wiggling it onto my scalp which is more than a little pokey.

lapushka
October 9th, 2017, 04:31 PM
I may have to try the mixed one at some point. Brushing pretty much removes the wave pattern for me though it comes back if I just leave it down for a bit - great for looking stringy, and a hot mess when you're out! -, but I always have it bunned, braided or in a pony tail.

What would you recommend for spreading oil other than the mixed one?

I stopped "spreading the oil", as it got my hair more oily, and exacerbated my SD (seborrheic dermatitis). So a BBB is not good for me. I don't know if there are any other brushes who do as good a job as BBBs where spreading oil is concerned.

I use a Tangle Teezer, myself, and a wooden bristle brush. I only comb/brush one time a week, right before a wash; rest of the week I finger detangle (separate the strands) to get the sheds out.

Lady Honey
October 11th, 2017, 07:55 PM

This. I have very thick hair, and my BBB does not do very well for general brushing. I prefer to use my Tek wooden paddle brush with extra long pins for general brushing (when my hair is straightened). However, I love my BBB for product distribution when I'm styling my hair curly. When wet, I'll use the brush to help me distribute my leave-in and hair gel evenly. :) I think it'd do great at distributing oils for your hair treatments, too.

torosaurus
October 11th, 2017, 10:59 PM
My hair is too thick to use a conventional boar bristle crush, however I have read that (supposedly) the kind with nylon pins are not good for your hair and you shouldn't use them.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NORFfJzhC6iPe/200.gif

torosaurus
October 11th, 2017, 11:03 PM
My hair is too thick to use a conventional boar bristle crush, however I have read that (supposedly) the kind with nylon pins are not good for your hair and you shouldn't use them.

I'm sorry, I left out something important! I tried to post a gif of Oprah saying "so what is the truth?" but either I can't see photos or I didn't do it correctly.

Basically, what is the truth about nylon pins? Are they actually bad for your hair?

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 12th, 2017, 01:10 AM
I'm sorry, I left out something important! I tried to post a gif of Oprah saying "so what is the truth?" but either I can't see photos or I didn't do it correctly.

Basically, what is the truth about nylon pins? Are they actually bad for your hair?

No it's fine, I sees it. Haha.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 12th, 2017, 01:12 AM
Personally OP I hate BBB, they never worked for me and I dont get it. Yes, sebum is good for hair but WHY ON EARTH would I want to try to move me own sebum with a brush that tends to just flatten my hair out and cause static, when I have plenty of other oils that penatrate just as well!

lapushka
October 12th, 2017, 07:42 AM
No the nylon bristles, or mixed BBBs are fine. There is a penchant towards full BBBs sometimes, but that doesn't make the mixed BBBs bad. :flower:

emilyogini
July 15th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Yep, I use the bbb for separating my hair into sections and spreading the through. It works!

emilyogini
July 15th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Yep, I use the bbb for separating my hair into sections and spreading the through. It works!

and spreading *the oil through

MidnightMoon
July 15th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Nothing useful to add, but this made me laugh :lol:
I have a small BBB, doesn't get through all layers either, and does spread the oil, which isn't exactly what I'm aiming for most of the time.

Groovy Granny
July 15th, 2018, 09:18 AM
My hair is fine and wispy, and I have several...
- Soft for blending front hairs in smooth styles
- Medium for Winter use; it spreads the little sebum I have a decreases static
- Vented BBB Wet Brush (mixed bristles) for daily use to detangle

*A wooden BBB that cracked on the end is now used for a clothes brush after styling my hair :p

SwanFeathers
August 1st, 2018, 11:26 AM
not every BBB is the same stiffness. there are some BBB that are quite soft and others that are almost scrub brush hard. it depends on the brand and model you buy. there are also some will nylon mixed in to make them cheaper and stiffer. for me, the added nylon does'nt do any harm, but it does make the oil distribution less effective, and it might scratch more delicate scalps

lapushka
August 1st, 2018, 01:22 PM
I have a mixed BBB (with nylon). If that weren't there I would never be able to brush through my thickness, even in several strokes (which I need to do with this anyway). I haven't used mine in years.

I now much prefer a wooden bristle brush, or my TT (Tangle Teezer) and WB (Wet Brush). Much better brushes for my hair.