PDA

View Full Version : Your hair is long...

Fru fru
October 7th, 2017, 04:02 PM
How do you answer this statement? It is my number 1 annoying comment I get about my hair. I don't say thanks because they may not mean it as a compliment.

I know about the annoying comments thread but this question surely deserves its own thread as I bet you all have it said regularly to you as well :p

Dark40
October 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I answer, "Yes, you're right!" It is long. I consider it long with it being at WL.

HairPlease
October 7th, 2017, 04:21 PM
My reflex, no-thinking answer would probably be something along the lines of "Thanks!" :D

Suze
October 7th, 2017, 04:27 PM
Uhm....yes.

But honestly I say this to people too sometimes: 'Oh your hair is getting so long', the it's beautiful part is silent apparently. :lol: Oops. Maybe because in my mind long hair instantly is beautiful?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 7th, 2017, 04:30 PM
I just say "Yes, it is", with a smile.

lucid
October 7th, 2017, 04:35 PM
I say yes. And sometimes I say random facts about their apparence back as well "your hair is brown" "you have nail polish on". Not in a rude way ofc, but in a jokingly, light hearted way :p

Jas
October 7th, 2017, 04:40 PM
It depends how it's said, you can usually tell if it's said positively - in which case I'll say thanks and give them a smile/compliment their hair if I like theirs. If it's said as a neutral statement I tend to just nod and say yeah and continue on. I've never had anyone be obviously negative about it yet =)

mira-chan
October 7th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Usually either "Yes" or "Yes, thanks!" depending on the tone.

Cherriezzzzz
October 7th, 2017, 06:51 PM
I say yes. And sometimes I say random facts about their apparence back as well "your hair is brown" "you have nail polish on". Not in a rude way ofc, but in a jokingly, light hearted way :p

I like this... thank you!

Robi-Bird
October 7th, 2017, 06:52 PM
Yep, and it's gonna get longer.

Stormynights
October 7th, 2017, 09:22 PM
I always said Thanks even when I knew it wasn't meant to be a compliment. I just had the right to take it any way I wanted to so I just chose to take it as a compliment. If they mean't it to be rude it really frosted them for me to take it as a compliment instead.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 7th, 2017, 09:42 PM
I usually say "oh my god?! It is?!?!!!! Get it off!! Get it off!!!"
I like to mess with people and I don't really care about "sounding rude" to complete strangers. I've had people grab me and touch my arm to exclaim "you have tattoos!!"

All around I just don't want strangers touching or talking to me lmao

Fru fru
October 8th, 2017, 06:12 AM
Ooh some great replies. It was said to me the other night as more of a statement than a compliment and I was taken off guard and didn't know what to say. No matter how many times it's said I'm always caught out by it :rolleyes:

MusicalSpoons
October 8th, 2017, 07:40 AM
I always used to just say 'thanks!' but then I started to go with 'thanks! I grew it myself :grin:'

I also quite like one I've read elsewhere on this forum: 'thanks, it's getting there' :)

I've never had anyone say it in a negative way, but like Stormynights said, it's up to you how you take it, regardless of how they intended it.

spidermom
October 8th, 2017, 08:23 AM
"and that's just how I like it!"

lapushka
October 8th, 2017, 09:29 AM
I'm starting to sit on mine when it's down (so whenever stepping into bed). It is long, I guess. I have only been asked one time, and had to point to my butt, the woman was amazed, but not disgusted, just in awe that all that hair was contained in that hairdo (LWB).

littlestarface
October 8th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I say "thanks but noo, there is some people with hair longer than mine but maybe one day it'll be long" and they say "really:bigeyes:?!!!!!!!" and i'm like "yep:agree:".

LadyCelestina
October 8th, 2017, 10:50 AM
I just say thanks if it's a compliment, and it usually is. But even if it's not, it's still a compliment technically since you want it long.

Honestly, this is nothing compared to Do you curl your hair? which I get all the freaking time... try to imagine that... some people even try to persuade me that I must be lying about not curling it... :eyeroll:

katydid317
October 8th, 2017, 11:30 AM
I've had a couple people comment recently that my hair is "getting long". I usually say thanks, and sometimes add "that's what happens when you don't cut it". Even when I'm not intentionally trying to grow it out I only get it cut once every 10 months to once a year.

valkyrie90
October 8th, 2017, 11:55 AM
Well "your hair is long " barely is a compliment when people say that to me. And my hair is not even long it's MBL. They nearly always say the same thing : " Your hair is long ? Why don't you just cut it ?? " . I don't even know why people can come up with such thing . Do they know the difinition of growing hair out ? . I just try to reply as polite as possible like " No my hair isn't long but I will keep it long because I like it that way thank you "

Aredhel
October 8th, 2017, 12:33 PM
I usually answer with a hearty "well spotted!" or "no sh*t!" :p

My DH's grandmother has said it before though, and to her I responded with a thank you, since I could tell she meant it as a positive observation. :)

Beatnik Guy
October 8th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Either treat it as a compliment. :)
or
Say "it's getting there" :frog:

wispe
October 8th, 2017, 12:51 PM
Usually I say something like "it's getting there", or just some sort of mhm-ing.

CindyOfTheOaks
October 8th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Either treat it as a compliment. :)
or
Say "it's getting there" :frog:

Usually I say something like "it's getting there", or just some sort of mhm-ing.

I usually say "it's getting there"

lucid
October 8th, 2017, 01:11 PM
I just say thanks if it's a compliment, and it usually is. But even if it's not, it's still a compliment technically since you want it long.

Honestly, this is nothing compared to Do you curl your hair? which I get all the freaking time... try to imagine that... some people even try to persuade me that I must be lying about not curling it... :eyeroll:

Haha, I get the same about straightening some times.. "Are you sure? It looks straightened..." Like I'm lying about not using a straightener :lol:

Cg
October 8th, 2017, 03:03 PM
I consider such a remark not a compliment but a simple observation, akin to "Chilly today." To which my response is an equally simple "Yes."

Aredhel
October 8th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Haha, I get the same about straightening some times.. "Are you sure? It looks straightened..." Like I'm lying about not using a straightener :lol:

I definitely get this one too... it can be either amusing or annoying, depending on my mood. :p

Silverbleed
October 8th, 2017, 03:52 PM
No matter if it’s positive or negative I try to say ‘thanks!’ Because that’ll show that I see that as a compliment. Because I do, it kind of confirms my hard work of growing my hair c:

Kellylee
October 8th, 2017, 11:17 PM
I always say "thanks I grew it myself"

OhSuzi
October 9th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Simple Yep! or Thanks should suffice.

Or really mess with people & tell them ridiculous different things each time -
yeah I have a weird hair condition, I trimmed it to shoulder length but it just grew to my bum in a month! - at that rate I cant afford to keep going to the hairdressers so I just let it grow - come back in two weeks time and it'll be by my knees!

I’ve joined a Victorian reenactment group and they want people with long hair.

I’m Danarys Targaryians / (or insert other relevant character here) hair double in Game of Thrones at the weekends

There's a new element to the gymkhana events I take part in called Horse and Rider synchronization. Your hair has to match the horse tail exactly and you have to mirror each others movements - I'm hoping for a medal this season. -
(start shaking your head and neighing and whinnying like a horse and ask them if they think your any good).

International hairdressing competitions pay up to £1,000 a time to use me as their hair styling model, if you want to make some extra cash you should start growing yours too – you can make loads!
Honestly it only took a month to grow it this long if yours won't grow that quick, you're clearly doing it wrong! - You should try rubbing cheese on it - that really helps.

I grow one inch in rememberance for every person I know who has dyed after freak hairstyling accidents with bleaching experiments, yes I know 38 people that has happened to.
Oh sorry you thought they died – no I just mean they had to dye their hair.

Or yeah my angora rabbit was undergoing chemo, I was going to get it all cut off to make a wig for her, but Pom Pom died so now I feel like my hair is a part of her and I don’t have the heart to cut it off - now I call my hair Pom Pom and stroke it every night – bit dark, but they probably wont want to point out your hair again.

My gran was decapitated by accident by a hairdresser - she only asked for a trim & they chopped her head clean off - when she said 'Shoulder length' - she didn't mean the size she'd like her body to be! Now I have a massive phobia of scissors and hairdressers.
- This is only a slight exaggeration of many peoples experience with hairdressers and trims!

YvetteVarie
October 9th, 2017, 06:35 AM
Simple Yep! or Thanks should suffice.

Or really mess with people & tell them ridiculous different things each time -
yeah I have a weird hair condition, I trimmed it to shoulder length but it just grew to my bum in a month! - at that rate I cant afford to keep going to the hairdressers so I just let it grow - come back in two weeks time and it'll be by my knees!

I’ve joined a Victorian reenactment group and they want people with long hair.

I’m Danarys Targaryians / (or insert other relevant character here) hair double in Game of Thrones at the weekends

There's a new element to the gymkhana events I take part in called Horse and Rider synchronization. Your hair has to match the horse tail exactly and you have to mirror each others movements - I'm hoping for a medal this season. -
(start shaking your head and neighing and whinnying like a horse and ask them if they think your any good).

International hairdressing competitions pay up to £1,000 a time to use me as their hair styling model, if you want to make some extra cash you should start growing yours too – you can make loads!
Honestly it only took a month to grow it this long if yours won't grow that quick, you're clearly doing it wrong! - You should try rubbing cheese on it - that really helps.

I grow one inch in rememberance for every person I know who has dyed after freak hairstyling accidents with bleaching experiments, yes I know 38 people that has happened to.
Oh sorry you thought they died – no I just mean they had to dye their hair.

Or yeah my angora rabbit was undergoing chemo, I was going to get it all cut off to make a wig for her, but Pom Pom died so now I feel like my hair is a part of her and I don’t have the heart to cut it off - now I call my hair Pom Pom and stroke it every night – bit dark, but they probably wont want to point out your hair again.

My gran was decapitated by accident by a hairdresser - she only asked for a trim & they chopped her head clean off - when she said 'Shoulder length' - she didn't mean the size she'd like her body to be! Now I have a massive phobia of scissors and hairdressers.
- This is only a slight exaggeration of many peoples experience with hairdressers and trims!

:misskim: Those are absolutely hilarious. I think I'll start using some of these.

Normally, I just say "its not really long but thanks". But those responses are absolutely legendary

LadyCelestina
October 9th, 2017, 08:32 AM

I definitely get this one too... it can be either amusing or annoying, depending on my mood. :p

But at least it's a desirable hairtype you guys have, people ask because my hair naturally does this https://yesterhair.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/sausagecurls.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7tudASPjtng/maxresdefault.jpg

so it just... looks like a bad fashion choice :lol:

Suze
October 9th, 2017, 09:02 AM

Yes, I get this too. Got teased with my hair in high school too. If I was late for class (which was a lot!), they would say things like: "She's late because se had to flat iron her hair for like an half hour." Started with me denying using a flat iron, which I didn't. Guess thet didn't believe me! :lol:

Same. Sometimes I don't mind and other times it really annoys me. :p

Lizzie.torp
October 9th, 2017, 10:05 AM
When someone tells me my hair is getting long or is long, I thank them and tell them my life plan of growing down to where it stops from wearing it down all the time and I'm expecting somewhere between tailbone and classic. (Where the friction breakage will create a false terminal)

*Wednesday*
October 11th, 2017, 07:37 AM
How do you answer this statement? It is my number 1 annoying comment I get about my hair. I don't say thanks because they may not mean it as a compliment.

Some people make a statement and mean no harm by it. They've made an observation and expressed what they may not see often. Your length is not a "dime a dozen."
To me TBL+ length is eye catching in the LONG world.

Hairkay
October 11th, 2017, 10:08 AM
But at least it's a desirable hairtype you guys have, people ask because my hair naturally does this https://yesterhair.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/sausagecurls.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7tudASPjtng/maxresdefault.jpg

so it just... looks like a bad fashion choice :lol:

Yes, curlies do get asked if they've curled their hair. Even tightly curlies have the odd person ask how they got all those tiny curls in their hair. As if someone has the time to regularly do straw curls or wrap hair around toothpicks for the smallest curls.

lulikrueger
October 11th, 2017, 11:02 AM
It depends on their tone and my mood in that moment. It's they're being nice I'll just say "Yup!", and if I'm feeling happy that day I might say "Oh, it used to be longer" or "And I'm still growing it!". If they're being *******s I either won't answer or I'll go "mmhmm" and brush it off(no pun intended, this time).
It doesn't happen often, bc I always wear it up, plus I'm a redhead-ish so the comments are usually on that and not the length.

lithostoic
October 11th, 2017, 11:13 AM
Generally I say something like "Thanks, I grew it myself!". If they're being rude, my enthusiasm throws them off. If they're being nice, they laugh at my joke. Win-win.

I find the posts about accusing people of flat ironing their hair so funny! I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I remember in 9th grade my curly-haired friend complimented my hair and asked how I got it so straight. I replied saying it's naturally straight, but I use moisturizing hair products to cut frizz. Her friend was like "Are you sure?". I was baffled! Why would I lie about my hair texture??

erebus
October 11th, 2017, 11:32 AM
I don't get it that often, because it's not that long, but I say something like "yeah I dunno why, I'm not doing anything, it keeps growing just by itself :p"

Lady Honey
October 11th, 2017, 07:40 PM
Generally I say something like "Thanks, I grew it myself!". If they're being rude, my enthusiasm throws them off. If they're being nice, they laugh at my joke. Win-win.

I find the posts about accusing people of flat ironing their hair so funny! I thought I was the only one who experienced this. I remember in 9th grade my curly-haired friend complimented my hair and asked how I got it so straight. I replied saying it's naturally straight, but I use moisturizing hair products to cut frizz. Her friend was like "Are you sure?". I was baffled! Why would I lie about my hair texture??

As someone with naturally curly hair who has to work VERY hard to make it straight, I suppose it simply mystifies us curlies that hair can grow out of a head completely straight! :P We curlies associate straight hair (for us) as something that takes a lot of effort, so it's amazing to see such sleek, shiny, and beautiful hair growing naturally & effortlessly. Your classmate was probably jealous - I know I'd kill for straight hair!

lithostoic
October 11th, 2017, 08:01 PM
His hair was straight too. I think he was just being rude.

Beckstar
October 11th, 2017, 10:59 PM

I know about the annoying comments thread but this question surely deserves its own thread as I bet you all have it said regularly to you as well :p

I used to reply, " Isn't it great?"

Ulessa
October 12th, 2017, 12:55 AM
When I had longer hair I would just smile and make an exhale-through-the-nose because then it has no connotations whatsoever :p

Beeboo123
October 12th, 2017, 03:43 AM
"No it's not. Could be longer."

I don't think of my hair as long until it reaches classic length

browneyedsusan
October 12th, 2017, 07:35 AM
I don't perceive it as annoying? Hair longer than BSL is pretty rare around here, so I always figured that they were mentioning it was out of the ordinary. I can't really see back there, anyway! Most people remember the pixie I sported for years and years, and my buns compact up small, so it's probably a shock that it's TBL loose.
I also get, "I like your hair", and don't know what that means either. Do they like the length? The ruby red ends (they're dyed sometimes) ? The hairstyle? Could mean anything! lol!

I just say, "Gee thanks!" give a big smile and go with it. :)
Assume they mean to compliment, and they'll leave it go.
-- Unless you want to talk about it a while, then you could engage with follow up questions: "What do you mean?" "Why did you say that?" "Where do I know you from?" Whatever.

Garnetgem
October 12th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I think people are just thinking aloud after all they must know that we know its long...but i also think its a complement and more so if they repeat their words to be sure we have heard....

when i had knee length hair i had it all the time...i was like gee yeah i wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't said to me..i never said that of course as i didn't want to be rude to people who were amazed at seeing hair so long..

now i say "thanks it just kinda grew on me" which makes them smile! :)

LadyCelestina
October 12th, 2017, 10:24 AM
Yes, curlies do get asked if they've curled their hair. Even tightly curlies have the odd person ask how they got all those tiny curls in their hair. As if someone has the time to regularly do straw curls or wrap hair around toothpicks for the smallest curls.
And there's more to that imo...

Most curlies aren't born in love with their hair, it's typically something you hate and get painfully teased about. People call it ugly, and it is often considered inferior to straight and wavy hair. It frizzes and tangles. It typically needs more products and gentler care = effort.

You have to LEARN to love and accept it. The curly story often goes - "I used to have bad hair, but I made it into my strong point".

And then when somebody asks if I curl it, it's like... why the heck would I inflict this on myself if I had straight hair :D

(That being said I would not trade my hair for straighter, even though it's beautiful :))

Hairkay
October 12th, 2017, 11:19 AM
And there's more to that imo...

Most curlies aren't born in love with their hair, it's typically something you hate and get painfully teased about. People call it ugly, and it is often considered inferior to straight and wavy hair. It frizzes and tangles. It typically needs more products and gentler care = effort.

You have to LEARN to love and accept it. The curly story often goes - "I used to have bad hair, but I made it into my strong point".

And then when somebody asks if I curl it, it's like... why the heck would I inflict this on myself if I had straight hair :D

(That being said I would not trade my hair for straighter, even though it's beautiful :))

That's true for some. Both straight and curly hair can be beautiful.

truepeacenik
October 12th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I've finally decided that "your hair is so long/that's a lot of hair" are statements made when they are a micron from speechless, and it's the best they can do.
To the random person, I say thank you, as graciously as I can, and that's hard. ;)

To the new partner type person, I smile and say, let's get lost in it, and do the hair tent move. Smiling all the while.

languagenut
October 13th, 2017, 09:37 AM

"Why no, I'm not sure, I mean, maybe I flat iron it in my sleep, and I always thought it was straight but it might be naturally curly..." :lol:

I like the "thanks, I grew it myself" response :).

lithostoic
October 13th, 2017, 10:14 AM
"Why no, I'm not sure, I mean, maybe I flat iron it in my sleep, and I always thought it was straight but it might be naturally curly..." :lol:

I like the "thanks, I grew it myself" response :).

Haha! Short list of things I've done in my sleep: asked for food, called my boyfriend an a**hole, turned off my alarm, taken my braid out .... Don't think I've ever flat ironed it in my sleep though! XD

pandabarrier
October 13th, 2017, 06:05 PM
I’ve been hearing the statements “your hair is long” a lot lately at work because I’m wearing braids and half-ups more often, maybe once a week. They also say “I didn’t know your hair was so long because you keep it bunned all the time”. I guess my buns compact a lot...

Dark40
October 13th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Some people make a statement and mean no harm by it. They've made an observation and expressed what they may not see often. Your length is not a "dime a dozen."

Hey, I like your answer! I totally agree with you on that note about TBL+ being eye catching in the LONG world.

Fru fru
October 14th, 2017, 02:23 AM
See now someone said it to me again the other night but I could tell they where saying it in an admiring way. I think it's the ones that just say it and I can't tell their attitude that bug me. It's like they state it and then wait for your response.

Will definitely be trying out some of your answers on those ones ;)

Twig
October 14th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I think people are just thinking aloud after all they must know that we know its long...but i also think its a complement and more so if they repeat their words to be sure we have heard....

when i had knee length hair i had it all the time...i was like gee yeah i wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't said to me..i never said that of course as i didn't want to be rude to people who were amazed at seeing hair so long..

now i say "thanks it just kinda grew on me" which makes them smile! :)

I'm 5' 10" tall...when people say that to me, like I wouldn't have noticed. Same thing, I guess they're amazed, and yet I know there are women out there taller than me.

luvlonghair75
October 14th, 2017, 06:40 PM
I've said in response, "Nope! Not long enough!" then get a weird look. LOLOLOL!!! People are so funny ya just gotta do it! lol

Kat
October 15th, 2017, 08:35 PM
I'm always lamenting this comment (in fact, it may well have been the inspiration for the annoying comments thread, if I remember correctly). Thanking them sounds stupid... they didn't actually compliment me, they just made an observation, and I have no way of knowing that they even meant it as a compliment. But I feel like just saying "yes it is" or "yes, I know" is going to come out sounding arrogant or snotty no matter what tone I use (especially if I am not being veryvery careful to use a friendly tone and it comes out sounding more offhand), and not responding at all will come out as downright rude*. (I feel like "thanks" for me is like the knee-jerk thing I say when I know I need to respond to something but don't know what else to say. I don't know why I say "thanks" when coworkers hand me paperwork to do, either. It's not like I'm actually appreciative of them giving me more work to do, but I guess I feel like I have to say something to acknowledge their presence and the fact that they just handed me something/put it in my inbox??)

Maybe I can just say "thank you for noticing." Which they can take as either friendly or snarky as they wish. :) Or, I guess I could look confused and say, "um...yes?" which might get across to them how silly of a thing it is to say, without me seeming intentionally rude because I'll just appear baffled?

*In general I shouldn't care about appearing rude to people I don't even know who feel the need to talk to me, but the one time I tried a semi-sarcastic comment-- a server at a restaurant who was like "is that your real hair?" and I said "no, I'm just holding it for someone,"-- she got all hurt and was like, "I was just asking..." as if my response was something more along the lines of telling her where to go and sit on a coal, and I felt bad. (OTOH, if someone is definitely trying to be a jerk, or is being inappropriate and they should know they are being inappropriate, I regret nothing that may come out of my mouth...)

True, but I wouldn't walk up to someone and say "the sky is blue!" or "your shirt is long-sleeved!" I mean, why would you stop a stranger in public for something so trivial? Why should they care if I've seen their particular attribute before or not? If you're going to do that, at least make your comment constructive-- "your hair is long and pretty" or "your hair is long and it is in my soup/too near that candle and about to catch on fire" or "your hair is long; do you know this website for long-haired people?" or even "your hair is long and I used to have mine just that length" (annoying as the "I used to/my sister has/whatever" comments are, at least they have a *point*). But to purposely interrupt me from whatever I'm doing, to state an obvious fact, which might be a vague compliment but I don't know because they didn't bother to even state the compliment... just no.

2gaits
October 15th, 2017, 09:23 PM
Pretty sure I've said this before and meant it as a compliment. Really long hair is not that common and sometimes my observation comes out as "it's so long." Smile and take it as a compliment.

OhSuzi
October 16th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I think a lot of people don't always think or have great manners.
It's probably just not that wise to make personal comments about other peoples appearances unless you know them very well or they at least sound positive or well meaning.
Your hair is long sounds kind of neutral, along with you are tall or you wear glasses, I suppose it's not as bad as pointing out things that are generally considered unhealthy or supposedly less attractive by society in general - you have acne, your bottom sticks out over your jeans or you have hairy nostrils - but it is still quite personal.

Also Kat - the server who said, 'is your hair real?' - that's kind of even more personal & bad manners,
what if it was extensions but you wanted people to think it was natural,
what if it was a wig for any number of health reasons.
Too bad if they were a bit hurt by your response, maybe they should think before asking strangers personal questions.

I once had to correct a client's details on an application for health insurance - in a phone conversation they advised me they were no longer 15 stone and had lost 3 stone and were now 12 stone.
"Congratulations!" I said.
"The weight loss was due to cancer and chemo - so congratulations aren't really in order are they?" - they replied.

Lesson learned - don't presume to know someone or how they may react to personal comments.

Kikyou
October 17th, 2017, 10:39 AM
It's a weird one, because it doesn't state approval at all (unless you can tell from the tone of voice, but in 90% it sounds neutral to me), so "thanks" comes first to my mind, but seems inappropriate. I usually just say "yeah, quite", especially if I'm busy and don't want to lose my focus just for the sake of answering a statement so obvious. Sometimes I say "I'm nowhere near finished growing it" or "And I keep growing" just for the sake of their surprised faces :P

Angelica
October 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I would give anything to have this problem of people saying my hair is long. Too thin, too straight and just not long enough for anyone to notice. Never will be :(

littlestarface
October 17th, 2017, 12:13 PM
I would give anything to have this problem of people saying my hair is long. Too thin, too straight and just not long enough for anyone to notice. Never will be :(

Meh, trust me it's not nice to hear, I hate it but I hate any attention aimed at me. I used to work with this one girl and one day she saw my hair unravel and saw it was to my calves and she said "nah uh, why is your hair so long, that is just so unnecessary who does that?" shaking her head, she said all that to me about my hair.

I really wish people would mind their own dang business.

LadyCelestina
October 17th, 2017, 12:19 PM

I'm not sure what length you're at, but I think many people notice and envy you that your hair is sleek and "too straight" :)

OhSuzi
October 18th, 2017, 02:53 AM
You could say in a jolly positive way - 'Yeah! I know right! It's Freakin Awesome!'
If they were being nice or neutral they'll just be happy & match your positivity.

If they were saying 'your is hair is long.....' with a silently implied 'perhaps it's time for a cut' / 'I don't like it' - you've made your feelings clear in a positive way without causing offence so that if they meant to cause offence you've batted it off or if they were wondering about whether you'd like helpful tips on how to book are haircut appointment they now know not to go down that route!

LizzyGrant
October 18th, 2017, 05:09 AM
This actually happened to me yesterday and the first thing I thought was this LHC thread! I was redoing my bun at work and coworker saw it and said: "I didn't realize your hair was so long!" I was only pleasantly surprised, since this was the first time someone said this to me after I started to grow my hair out again. But it was still an awkward moment because I didn't know what to answer. I said something like "yes it has propably grown.." and then we talked about long hair in general. My coworker said she wanted to grow hair out as well.

Isobibbel
October 18th, 2017, 05:48 AM
my sister had really long hair and she would reply "yes, i grew it myself " and give them this really big smile, sort of highlighted how silly the statement is.

maborosi
October 21st, 2017, 11:08 PM
I say thanks, even if it's not meant as a compliment. Most people are cool about it, some people are weirdos and make stupid remarks, but eh, not my problem.

ErinEM
October 22nd, 2017, 11:10 AM
I say, "Yeah, I'm seeing how long it will get."

cathair
October 22nd, 2017, 04:55 PM
As long as their not grabbing my horribly fragile ends and pulling them while they are saying it, I don't really mind this one. It's infinity better than them commenting on my height/weight/personality/expression/social skills/hair condition.

I'd probably stick with 'cheers'.

burny
October 22nd, 2017, 10:42 PM
for me, I always give a glance of recognition, and "thanks".. if it's a compliment, great. If it's an insult, then they deserve to think they made me feel better.
I don't think I've ever had it pitched as anything but a compliment though.. I think often the intended statement is like "how do you get it so long" or "what shampoo do you use" etc.. but they get confused after they start talking, and can't finish the sentence.