PDA

View Full Version : Why does my hair not grow as long as before?

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:21 PM
So yes as the title says I used to be able to grow my hair long but now for some reasons I can't and I have hairs of varying length all over my head and feel as if I've lost some volume. Why is this can I please get some opinions?

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 03:23 PM
That can be due to all sorts of reasons. Maybe a little more background info is needed.

How much are you getting it trimmed? Are you getting it trimmed?
Do you heat style? Could it be breakage.

All things to consider, for instance.

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:24 PM
That can be due to all sorts of reasons. Maybe a little more background info is needed.

How much are you getting it trimmed? Are you getting it trimmed?
Do you heat style? Could it be breakage.

All things to consider, for instance.

I don't get it trimmed often no. I also never use heat on my hair either.

amiraaah
October 7th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I have the same problem I also have hair of varying length that's why my hair is thin now,(my hair used to be thick) the reason for me is using heat on my fine hair which caused breakage I don't know if those hair will grow again to match my overall length or what.

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 03:30 PM
I don't get it trimmed often no. I also never use heat on my hair either.

How long is it now?
What style is it cut into? Layers?

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:32 PM
How long is it now?
What style is it cut into? Layers?

Its about up to my eyebrows.

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:34 PM
Kind of have the short hair charlize thereon used to have

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 03:35 PM
How long have you been growing it out? Hair only grows at about 1/2 inch a month so you maybe just are going to have to be *very* patient. :flower:

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:39 PM
How long have you been growing it out? Hair only grows at about 1/2 inch a month so you maybe just are going to have to be *very* patient. :flower:
No the thing is last year I tried for about 6 or 7 months but grew up to a certain length and when it did it was lifeless and dull.

AZDesertRose
October 7th, 2017, 03:44 PM
How long has it been since you cut it short? The average rate of hair growth is about 0.5 inch/1 cm per month, and of course that's an average, so some people have faster growth than that and some have slower.

Hair growth rate slows with age, too. I'm almost 42, and my hair doesn't grow nearly as fast as it did twenty years ago, for example. And thinning with age is fairly common as well.

That all being said, if you're still fairly young and your hair isn't growing or is breaking so that it appears not to be growing, it might be worth asking your doctor to have your thyroid hormone levels checked (it's a blood test), if that's a thing you can do.

Blondieee
October 7th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Have you had ferritin levels and thyroid checked? I have both of these issues and my hair only grows to a certain length and then grows very brittle fairytale ends rather than actual length.

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I am kind of underweight for my age I think not sure if this plays a part. I am only 130 lbs at a height of 5 foot 7? But thank you. I will definitely check out the things mentioned

Dark40
October 7th, 2017, 04:08 PM
I am kind of underweight for my age I think not sure if this plays a part. I am only 130 lbs at a height of 5 foot 7? But thank you. I will definitely check out the things mentioned

You don't sound too underweight to me for your height. I'm very short myself, Like, 5 foot 1. If you still feel that you're underweight I really think a nice weight for your height would be 150 lbs. For my age and height I should weigh 130 lbs but I just the opposite of you. I'm overweight weighing 270 lbs.

lucid
October 7th, 2017, 05:23 PM

That is within the normal weight range for your height. :) underweight would be below 119 lbs (depending on body fat ofc).

But it could be good to check your vitamin/mineral levels either way.

AZDesertRose
October 7th, 2017, 06:17 PM

You don't sound too underweight to me for your height. I'm very short myself, Like, 5 foot 1. If you still feel that you're underweight I really think a nice weight for your height would be 150 lbs. For my age and height I should weigh 130 lbs but I just the opposite of you. I'm overweight weighing 270 lbs.

That is within the normal weight range for your height. :) underweight would be below 119 lbs (depending on body fat ofc).

But it could be good to check your vitamin/mineral levels either way.

"Normal" weight range (particularly if based on BMI as a standard of "normal") doesn't account for build/musculature. If callebest is on the larger end of body-frame size, 130 lbs could easily be quite thin at 5'7".

callebest
October 7th, 2017, 06:24 PM
"Normal" weight range (particularly if based on BMI as a standard of "normal") doesn't account for build/musculature. If callebest is on the larger end of body-frame size, 130 lbs could easily be quite thin at 5'7".

I actually feel as if I'm very thin for my height and age. I am lanky thin if thats a word.

Andthetalltrees
October 7th, 2017, 06:28 PM

It's true, I'm only 5'2 but 120-125 is getting quite thin on me and it's on the higher end of 'normal' weight

lucid
October 7th, 2017, 06:56 PM

That's why I wrote "depending on body fat", which is a much better way of determening health than weight alone. But you are totally right, thank you for making it clearer for everybody. :)

I had below 12% body fat with bmi of 17.5, so dangerously underweight in reality, but just mildly underweight if considering bmi alone. My weight lead to hairloss at the time, since the body prioritized getting energy to more important parts of the body. Unless there is rapid weight loss, women typically have to get below 15% body fat before the body starts shutting down less important processes. It's very individual when hairloss from being underweight starts though.

Callebest, you should definitely check out if your body fat lies within what's considered healthy, especially since you're suspecting that you're a bit underweight.

queenbee1
October 7th, 2017, 10:15 PM
That's why I wrote "depending on body fat", which is a much better way of determening health than weight alone. But you are totally right, thank you for making it clearer for everybody. :)

I had below 12% body fat with bmi of 17.5, so dangerously underweight in reality, but just mildly underweight if considering bmi alone. My weight lead to hairloss at the time, since the body prioritized getting energy to more important parts of the body. Unless there is rapid weight loss, women typically have to get below 15% body fat before the body starts shutting down less important processes. It's very individual when hairloss from being underweight starts though.

Callebest, you should definitely check out if your body fat lies within what's considered healthy, especially since you're suspecting that you're a bit underweight.

Sorry if this off topic but how did you find your body fat percentage? My BMI is 17 but I feel like I'm on the thicker side!

lucid
October 8th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Sorry if this off topic but how did you find your body fat percentage? My BMI is 17 but I feel like I'm on the thicker side!

If your BMI is 17 you're most definitely not on the thicker side. Even with a natural lean body and low muscle mass, you're still thin and probably also underweight with 17 bmi. I would consult a doctor about, I'm getting a bit worried when you feel on the thicker side even with a low bmi. Your doctor will be able to tell you if your body fat is within normal or not. :)

Women have 10-13% essential fat, which is the minimum amount of fat necessary for basic physical and physiological health. The reccomended total body fat percentages for normal women is 20-30%, so as a women you should always have some fat on your body to be healthy (about 10% more than men actually).

You can also buy a device (fat caliper) that measures body fat several places on the body, and then you plot the numbers in a program and get the total percentage - but for lower percentages it gets quite inaccurate if you don't know what you're doing.

Do not attempt to lose any weight with 17 bmi. If you're not happy with your body, weight gain from exercise will make the body much more defined, even with the same or higher amount of body fat. Excersice is very healthy, as long as you remember to eat enough so that you don't lose any weight.

spidermom
October 8th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Back to hair - growing for 7/8 months is not a long enough period of time for much length to show up. That sounds like me. I used to decide to grow my hair out when it was at pixie length and become really frustrated because I would grow my hair for A WHOLE YEAR! and it still would not be long. So I'd get it cut again. My bad. You have to let hair grow for years to get long hair.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a physical exam with blood chemistries to make sure your health is where it should be. Then you can experiment with products and routines to bring out the best in your hair.

queenbee1
October 8th, 2017, 08:44 AM
If your BMI is 17 you're most definitely not on the thicker side. Even with a natural lean body and low muscle mass, you're still thin and probably also underweight with 17 bmi. I would consult a doctor about, I'm getting a bit worried when you feel on the thicker side even with a low bmi. Your doctor will be able to tell you if your body fat is within normal or not. :)

Women have 10-13% essential fat, which is the minimum amount of fat necessary for basic physical and physiological health. The reccomended total body fat percentages for normal women is 20-30%, so as a women you should always have some fat on your body to be healthy (about 10% more than men actually).

You can also buy a device (fat caliper) that measures body fat several places on the body, and then you plot the numbers in a program and get the total percentage - but for lower percentages it gets quite inaccurate if you don't know what you're doing.

Do not attempt to lose any weight with 17 bmi. If you're not happy with your body, weight gain from exercise will make the body much more defined, even with the same or higher amount of body fat. Excersice is very healthy, as long as you remember to eat enough so that you don't lose any weight.
Oh don't worry! I'm realyyy short (4'9). I'm not trying to lose weight, in fact it is 40 kg already. Just a tad bit underweight, nothing too low as to affect my daily Activities. 😄 thank you for the concern though 💘

AZDesertRose
October 8th, 2017, 10:41 AM

I'm sorry if I seemed sharpish with my comment. I just get very defensive about BMI, because for one thing, it was never intended to be a measure of health (it was intended as a measurement of an average of human body sizes with no health implications), and it is also strictly height vs. weight with no accounting for musculature or frame size. I'm definitely on the sturdy/large end of body frame (not quite stocky, but not far off), and it is literally impossible for me to be a "healthy" weight according to BMI. See also a lot of nationally/internationally competitive athletes who are "overweight" by the standards of BMI but are very fit.

But I didn't mean to bite your head off about it, and I'm sorry if my comment read that way; it was not my intention at all. :flower:

lapushka
October 8th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Doctors used to measure a healthy maximum weight by subtracting the number 10 from your height. That was your limit for weight. So 1.70m = 60kg. I am that weight now and feel fine. I used to be 54kg but then I was a lot more active.

LadyCelestina
October 8th, 2017, 10:59 PM
Doctors used to measure a healthy maximum weight by subtracting the number 10 from your height. That was your limit for weight. So 1.70m = 60kg. I am that weight now and feel fine. I used to be 54kg but then I was a lot more active.

I cannot get to 50kg or so without doing something unhealthy, and it's very thin on me. Ribs showing and all :D (I'm at around 160cm, +-2cm)

Aredhel
October 8th, 2017, 11:27 PM
I cannot get to 50kg or so without doing something unhealthy, and it's very thin on me. Ribs showing and all :D (I'm at around 160cm, +-2cm)

Uhh same here... I'm 160 cm @ 59 kg, and in the ideal BMI range. I am very healthy, I workout everyday and I absolutely do not look or feel overweight in any way... :) I guess there is a reason that method of determining ideal weight is outdated and no longer used.

*Wednesday*
October 11th, 2017, 07:56 AM
I'm 5'1" and 119 lbs with medium bones. No bones or ribs showing here.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 11th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Guys - can get back to the topic at hand? Gahahha.

I really doubt you're underweight. I personally think that you just didn't wait long enough. Heck, my hair felt dry and dull when I first started growing but I had only been growing for a year, it WAS DRY AND DULL because I hadn't PROPERLY gained enough length let alone taken care of my hair for long enough. You're not going to see results instantly. And even virgin hair needs product and a regimen in order to be -- what I feel can be a head of hairs perfect picture of health and an example.

You need to be patient and really learn what your hair loves.

FennFire911
October 11th, 2017, 04:28 PM
I'm 5'2" and 115lbs. I'm a little bit ribby, but my thighs are a testament that I am not underweight lol Even people my same height and weight aren't going to be my same shape. Variety is the spice of life after all.

My main questions for OP are age and stress level. Our hair gradually grows slower as we get older, and it can also thin with age. These things shouldn't be a factor until around the 50's though.
Stress is a whole other ball of wax. Severe stress can bring everything to a halt. Appetite and sleep can be disrupted, and women can even stop having periods if there is a lot of stress.

A daily multi-vitamin can benefit most people. But do consult a doctor for blood levels of vitamins and minerals before going wild on supplements. High levels of vitamins and minerals can be as detrimental as deficits. It doesn't pay to over medicate.

callebest
October 11th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I'm 5'2" and 115lbs. I'm a little bit ribby, but my thighs are a testament that I am not underweight lol Even people my same height and weight aren't going to be my same shape. Variety is the spice of life after all.

My main questions for OP are age and stress level. Our hair gradually grows slower as we get older, and it can also thin with age. These things shouldn't be a factor until around the 50's though.
Stress is a whole other ball of wax. Severe stress can bring everything to a halt. Appetite and sleep can be disrupted, and women can even stop having periods if there is a lot of stress.

A daily multi-vitamin can benefit most people. But do consult a doctor for blood levels of vitamins and minerals before going wild on supplements. High levels of vitamins and minerals can be as detrimental as deficits. It doesn't pay to over medicate.

I am 23 with medium amount of stress. Thank you for your reply