PDA

View Full Version : I cut it and I feel free.

Wreckinbelle
October 7th, 2017, 12:40 AM
So, I'd been thinking about a big chop for the past couple of months. I was not loving my hair.
I recently got a job (full time!), for the first time in 15 years (I've been a stay at mom), as a care aide for a young man with autism. I love him but the job can be stressful. We also got a new dog. Training has been nightmare inducing!
There's been a lot of change and a little more stress, I've been feeling overwhelmed, and my hair just seemed to be the stink pile on top! I was so frustrated and needed some self care. I did the thing I've been afraid to do for many years.
I'm elated, I feel free and couldn't be happier.
Perhaps regret will set in another time, but for now, I'm going to revel in this short, sexy, freedom hair.
I felt like I needed to explain myself to you ladies and gents because you've all been a part of this hair journey with me. Honestly, without lhc I may not have had the guts to it. Being here the last few months has made me realize that I can always grow it back. Long hair is not unattainable. I hope y'all don't mind me stickin' around with my short hair! :heart:

Sherry.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 7th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Wow, a big change! I hope you will be happy with it! :) Of course you are free to stick around here!

Suze
October 7th, 2017, 01:29 AM
What length did you end up with Sherry? Hope you will fully enjoy your hair now! Good luck with everything and please stuck around! :flower:

Wreckinbelle
October 7th, 2017, 01:36 AM
Hi, thank you!

I, too hope that I'll be happy and enjoy it! I do remember regretting a big chop about 17 years ago..but it's been awhile and I'm a different person :)

It's not quite touching my shoulders. I cut off about 20-23 inches! eeek.

diddiedaisy
October 7th, 2017, 02:58 AM
That is a big chop!!! Enjoy it :)

Serimel
October 7th, 2017, 03:05 AM
Brave! Glad you happy with your new look, hope to see you around here still :)

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 07:07 AM
That is a big chop. Like you described your hair was the last drop that made the bucket overflow, and that's usually not a good way to get a haircut (much regret usually). But you seem not to regret it. So, it's all good.

I hope you continue to like it, and if not, you can always grow it back out. :flower:

Suze
October 7th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Hi, thank you!

I, too hope that I'll be happy and enjoy it! I do remember regretting a big chop about 17 years ago..but it's been awhile and I'm a different person :)

It's not quite touching my shoulders. I cut off about 20-23 inches! eeek.

Wow, that IS a big chop. Yes, that's right you are a different person now. I bet you put some/ a lot of thought into this so I bet you'll be happy with it. really like your bangs btw if I haven't said that yet in another thread.

spidermom
October 7th, 2017, 09:12 AM
There's even a thread for those of us who have decided to settle in with short hair for awhile: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883&highlight=growth+oriented

I know that feeling of freedom well! My hair seems so much more versatile now. Before I felt that it was up and back all the time. I did not consider a different bun a different style. Now I can do different styles: curled, straightened, natural, one side tucked behind my hair with a flower or other decorative clip, etc, etc. Now I want to get a color melt balayage.

So don't regret; have fun with it!

Wreckinbelle
October 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM
That is a big chop!!! Enjoy it :)

Had my first night not worrying about sleeping on it or braids or tangles! Loooving it :)

Brave! Glad you happy with your new look, hope to see you around here still :)

I could not stop smiling the whole time she was cutting it! I love here, so I'll probs continue to lurk around :)

That is a big chop. Like you described your hair was the last drop that made the bucket overflow, and that's usually not a good way to get a haircut (much regret usually). But you seem not to regret it. So, it's all good.

I hope you continue to like it, and if not, you can always grow it back out. :flower:

That's my thought as well. I actually thought I would regret it more if I didn't do :) Thanks again!

Wow, that IS a big chop. Yes, that's right you are a different person now. I bet you put some/ a lot of thought into this so I bet you'll be happy with it. really like your bangs btw if I haven't said that yet in another thread.

You're right! I put a lot more thought into it this time! Thank you, I was more nervous about the bangs than I was the actual chop!

There's even a thread for those of us who have decided to settle in with short hair for awhile: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140883&highlight=growth+oriented

I know that feeling of freedom well! My hair seems so much more versatile now. Before I felt that it was up and back all the time. I did not consider a different bun a different style. Now I can do different styles: curled, straightened, natural, one side tucked behind my hair with a flower or other decorative clip, etc, etc. Now I want to get a color melt balayage.

So don't regret; have fun with it!

Yes! I've already found myself doing more with it! All I ever did before was the same ponytail or the same bun. It was always back and I never got to enjoy it. I am ENJOYING it now!
I headed over to that thread and have been reading from the beginning!

Wreckinbelle
October 7th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Here's a pic.

https://i.imgur.com/wGGdw28.jpg?1

Aredhel
October 7th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Here's a pic.

https://i.imgur.com/wGGdw28.jpg?1

Oh my goodness this actually looks amazing on you, girl!!! I love it! I've toyed with the idea of chopping to this length before but I'm not sure I have the balls. :p This must be quite liberating for you I'd imagine since your hair is so thick and it was so long before! :)

spidermom
October 7th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Oooh - great length, eh?

lithostoic
October 7th, 2017, 12:22 PM
It looks so great! Also you have my favorite kind of nose, sorry if that's weird lol.

Lisa Long4Life
October 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM
It's a big chop but it looks amazing :thud:

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 02:47 PM
Well that is cute, and I looove the bangs! :inlove:

Suze
October 7th, 2017, 04:30 PM
Happy for you! That looks really really good! Your bangs are awesome!

Cherriezzzzz
October 7th, 2017, 06:55 PM
It's better then eating your feelings and getting fat!

Your hair looks incredible! The shine and health ... you look beautiful!

Stub
October 7th, 2017, 09:38 PM
That looks great!! I regularly grow my hair to WL and then buzz it, and I never regret it. I get tired of the buzz after awhile and grow it back out, same as I get tired of long hair after awhile. I'm actually surprised I haven't buzzed it yet this time around, but thus far I'm not tired of it yet. If it weren't so darn unruly and fine (blows in the wind) I'd try a shoulder-length, but that might make me insane. ha! Anyway as everyone else said, stick around! We like all kinds of hair here, not just long hair! :)

Jo Ann
October 7th, 2017, 10:33 PM
That is a HUGE chop! You are wearing your new cut well, and that's the important thing.

I mean, what's the use of having hair you're not happy with? I think you made the correct decision for you and for all the correct reasons. Hope you stick around!

Dendra
October 8th, 2017, 01:50 PM
Wreckinbelle, you look amazing :thud: Your hair looks glossy and healthy and it really suits you. Stick around for sure, it would be sad if you left!

DakarNick
October 8th, 2017, 02:26 PM
Wow, what a change! I thought for sure you'd grow it even longer! I'm guessing you can still put it in a bun with your undercut?

Lady Stardust
October 8th, 2017, 03:08 PM
Your hair looks incredible, it's actually the length that I'm aiming to grow to at the moment! Short to one person is long to another :-)

The Bettie bangs look great too.

Wreckinbelle
October 11th, 2017, 11:06 PM
Oh my goodness this actually looks amazing on you, girl!!! I love it! I've toyed with the idea of chopping to this length before but I'm not sure I have the balls. :p This must be quite liberating for you I'd imagine since your hair is so thick and it was so long before! :)
Liberating is the exact right word to describe it! I feel free and amazing. For real, LHC gave me the balls! I know I always have a place here and my hair will always grow. Thanks lovely!!

Oooh - great length, eh?

THE BEST!! I'm loving it!! I find myself doing all kinds of things I would, previously, have never done! aaaand...I feel younger ;-)

It looks so great! Also you have my favorite kind of nose, sorry if that's weird lol.

Hey, Thanks! No not weird..I hate my nose so it's nice to hear :heartbeat:

It's a big chop but it looks amazing :thud:

Thank you :-) No regrets!

Well that is cute, and I looove the bangs! :inlove:

Thanks Lapushka! I sure am loving it as well! :Love:

Happy for you! That looks really really good! Your bangs are awesome!

Thank you! I'm love love loving it!

It's better then eating your feelings and getting fat!

Your hair looks incredible! The shine and health ... you look beautiful!

Heh heh thanks! I'm already chunky so I definitely don't need any more of that! ;-) My hair feels healthier for sure!

That looks great!! I regularly grow my hair to WL and then buzz it, and I never regret it. I get tired of the buzz after awhile and grow it back out, same as I get tired of long hair after awhile. I'm actually surprised I haven't buzzed it yet this time around, but thus far I'm not tired of it yet. If it weren't so darn unruly and fine (blows in the wind) I'd try a shoulder-length, but that might make me insane. ha! Anyway as everyone else said, stick around! We like all kinds of hair here, not just long hair! :)

I'm glad to have found a space here with my short hair :-) I, honestly, don't feel as though I will grow it out again, but if I do, I suspect I'll cut it again soon after!

That is a HUGE chop! You are wearing your new cut well, and that's the important thing.

I mean, what's the use of having hair you're not happy with? I think you made the correct decision for you and for all the correct reasons. Hope you stick around!

Yes! Thank you. I did it for the right reasons. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing and that has made a world of difference with how I feel now about my hair. You're right, I wasn't happy and wasn't enjoying my hair...I love it now and do all kinds of stuff with it.
I am going to stick around... I love it here :)

Wreckinbelle, you look amazing :thud: Your hair looks glossy and healthy and it really suits you. Stick around for sure, it would be sad if you left!

I couldn't get over the, almost, instant difference in how my hair looked and felt! Thank you so much! I'm incredibly happy with my decision :-)

Wow, what a change! I thought for sure you'd grow it even longer! I'm guessing you can still put it in a bun with your undercut?

Yes, I did have plans of growing for another year...but I just didn't feel like it anymore :) I can put it in a little bun!! ;-)

Your hair looks incredible, it's actually the length that I'm aiming to grow to at the moment! Short to one person is long to another :-)

The Bettie bangs look great too.

You're so right! I keep thinking about "Practical Magic" and how I used to have super hair envy of those ladies and they've been my inspiration for years! Then I realized, the last time I watched it, that my hair was way longer than Sally's and Gillian's and their hair seemed kinda short..soooo weird. Thank you, the bangs actually were scarier and more stressful to cut than the rest of it!

*Wednesday*
October 12th, 2017, 09:47 AM
You do rock it. Your hair texture and color is beautiful.

Vanille_
October 12th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I LOVED my chop from below waist to pixi! It was amaaaaazing. I don't regret it at all. I'm growing it out currently, however that's not because I regret the cut in the least. Even while growing it out, I know that I rocked that pixie hard and it's probably the most flattering style I've ever had.

I'm just bored and miss braids.

Keep rocking it! <3<3

melesine
October 12th, 2017, 02:07 PM
Good for you!

Two years ago I chopped mine from tailbone to collarbone ( in front, in back it was shorter) after thinking about it for a good six months.

I enjoyed it shorter but didn't cut it for more than a year. Once I hit MBL I cut it back to BSL and now I'm undecided what to do with it. I kind of want something more funky and a definite style, instead of the no mans land in the middle that doesn't do much that I have. I do like my hair long but I'd had it that way for a really long time and just needed a change.

lapushka
October 12th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I LOVED my chop from below waist to pixi! It was amaaaaazing. I don't regret it at all. I'm growing it out currently, however that's not because I regret the cut in the least. Even while growing it out, I know that I rocked that pixie hard and it's probably the most flattering style I've ever had.

I'm just bored and miss braids.

Keep rocking it! <3<3

A pixie for a 1 is very different from a pixie for a 2. I had both when I was 13/14 and went through the transition from 1 hair to 2 hair during puberty. 1 pixies are so easy to take care of! Whereas when you're 2, it's a nightmare (well, for me it was). It's like one's a very sleek look and the other a poofball.

Vanille_
October 12th, 2017, 02:38 PM
A pixie for a 1 is very different from a pixie for a 2. I had both when I was 13/14 and went through the transition from 1 hair to 2 hair during puberty. 1 pixies are so easy to take care of! Whereas when you're 2, it's a nightmare (well, for me it was). It's like one's a very sleek look and the other a poofball.

Oh I hadn't thought of that. I can see how that would be true. My pixie required a fraction of the amount of work as having long hair. Most days I didn't even need any product.

lapushka
October 12th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Oh I hadn't thought of that. I can see how that would be true. My pixie required a fraction of the amount of work as having long hair. Most days I didn't even need any product.

Yes, I remember those times! It was nice while it lasted and while I had the texture. Now the longer it is (within reason), the easier it is to take care of.

melesine
October 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM

Boy is that the truth, I remember when I shaved my head and grew it out. ugh, it was horrible. My hair does not lay flat when that short.

lapushka
October 13th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Boy is that the truth, I remember when I shaved my head and grew it out. ugh, it was horrible. My hair does not lay flat when that short.

I have a few cowlicks that are prominent at a shorter length, and when it grows out a bit: *poof*. :lol:

lithostoic
October 13th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Also I'll go crazy if I don't say this, every time I see the title of this post I get "I Felt Free" by Circa Survive in my head.

Corvana
October 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Looks so amazing!!!

Wreckinbelle
October 14th, 2017, 09:54 PM
Also I'll go crazy if I don't say this, every time I see the title of this post I get "I Felt Free" by Circa Survive in my head.

I'm gonna go look this up right now :)

Looks so amazing!!!

Thank you Corvana!

clairyfaire
October 14th, 2017, 10:05 PM
Looks great on you!! I also really like your red bangs in contrast with the dark brown... Is that your natural color? Really pretty!

Wreckinbelle
October 15th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Looks great on you!! I also really like your red bangs in contrast with the dark brown... Is that your natural color? Really pretty!

Hey, thanks! My natural colour is the picture in my signature. I only use demi-permanents on my hair, so it's easier for me to go back to my natural colour for the summer. :)

spidermom
October 15th, 2017, 11:01 AM

A super-short pixie was great for me. It had so much texture. Once it got beyond about 2 inches long - POOF! Big short hair.