PDA

View Full Version : Heavy oiling and rice water rinse - match made in heaven or too much?

MamaSwanky
October 6th, 2017, 03:36 PM
Curious what you all think about doing a heavy oiling and rice water rinse before cleaning hair. I've only ever done one or the other at a time so I'm curious to see what you all think about doing them both. I'm planning to do a heavy oiling tonight, keep it in for at least 24 hours, do a rice water rinse before showering, wash and condition like normal, then follow it up with a tea rinse. Too much?

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I've never tried it, so can't help. Maybe just try it and see?

MamaSwanky
October 6th, 2017, 04:48 PM
I'm still getting the hang of what does what to hair. I generally know what oils do - condition and strengthen happy because of fatty acids and vitamins and whatnot. I've been oiling consistently for over a year and have learned what oils my hair does and doesn't like. I'm still learning what fermented rice water rinsing does, but my hair seems to like it so I want to continue. I guess I'm curious what treatments do what and how they interact overall. Time to start a hair log and keep track of how my hair reacts to different things.

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2017, 05:10 PM
I'm still getting the hang of what does what to hair. I generally know what oils do - condition and strengthen happy because of fatty acids and vitamins and whatnot. I've been oiling consistently for over a year and have learned what oils my hair does and doesn't like. I'm still learning what fermented rice water rinsing does, but my hair seems to like it so I want to continue. I guess I'm curious what treatments do what and how they interact overall. Time to start a hair log and keep track of how my hair reacts to different things.

That's a great idea, to work out what works for you.

TatsuOni
October 7th, 2017, 04:03 AM
I sometimes do this and it works for me :)

MamaSwanky
October 7th, 2017, 11:27 AM
Do you think the oil prevents the rice water from penetrating? I would think if I oiled the day before and gave it time to absorb it wouldn't interfere with that. I've read some places where fermented rice water is used as shampoo. I can't imagine it would totally remove oil on it's own.

Khristopher
October 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
I just did this yesterday, and it worked fine. The oiling wasn't too heavy and I left to soak for a few hours before rinsing.

meteor
October 7th, 2017, 12:01 PM
There is no harm in trying. If you didn't plan to follow up with shampoo and conditioner, I'd be prepared for some build-up risk especially if the oil soak is very heavy, but since you are doing standard S&C afterward, I wouldn't worry about it too much...

As for tea rinses, I'd try them separately at a different wash cycle first. (Personally, I had some tangles and build-up from some of those.) It's a good idea to experiment with specific treatments independently first and keep records, just to know what actually works and what causes what effect before trying to combine things IMO... Plus, this helps keep routine manageable, with minimal steps, where each step counts, unless we are talking about pampering sessions, of course.

Happy experimenting! :cheer: