PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying

ItalianFlower
October 28th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Okay, so I'll be trying this for the first time soon.

What specific products do you guys use and what's the process to using it? I've gathered bits and pieces and so I'm under the impression that I put it in my hair (do I leave it in for a minute or two?), then rinse, and then slather on conditioner. Do I do it on everything, including the scalp (for the reviving conditioner?) Anything else I should know or expect?

spidermom
October 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I usually use diluted shampoo CWC style. However, when I feel that I have build-up and need a deeper clean, I don't put conditioner on my hair first. I use full-strength shampoo and massage the suds all the way down the length. It will often take two applications to accomplish this (lather, rinse, repeat). Then I condition as usual.

I don't use special products for this. Whatever I have on hand works. Most often I have Natures Gate products. Lately I've got something called Save Your Hair/Save the World.

I've tried baking soda added to shampoo as a clarifier because it was recommended here, but it dried my hair out and made it matt together like felt; truly awful. It was much more gentle when I mixed 1 teaspoon of baking soda into 1 pint of warm water and poured slowly through my hair. It didn't work any better than using shampoo full strength, though. Since baking soda is alkaline and hair/scalp do better with acidic products, and my shampoo and conditioner are already pH balanced for hair and scalp, I don't use the baking soda anymore.

misstwist
October 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM
I just use VO 5 Balancing Shampoo for normal hair, my husband's regular shampoo. I lather my scalp and just let it rinse through the length. That works plenty well for me.

girlcat36
October 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
A tiny amount of baking soda dissolved in water and poured through my hair works great for me.

freznow
October 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I did a clarifying of sorts last week. I took a squirt of one of the only shampoos we had on hand (BJ's brand, knock off of Biolage. It's mostly SLS and nondescript plant extracts, so I thought it'd be at least better than the whatever coney thing my mom has) and just used it to shampoo. Worked well.

It'll depend on your hair and your type of buildup as to what will work. Baking soda would have just dried my hair out more, so I didn't use it. If you can, get a clarifying shampoo (Suave, VO5) and just use it like it says on the bottle.

bunnii
October 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I use Original Source tea tree and mint shampoo, I condition dry hair then rinse and shampoo full strength and work a little into the ends then condition with Original Source Almond and coconut conditioner because it's very moisturising, leave that in for a few minutes and rinse then vinegar for a final rinse.

Tangles
October 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Neutrogena clarifying shampoo is fairly gentle and very effective in my opinion. I could probably get away with using it twice a week if I wanted to.

Teazel
October 28th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Pantene clarifying shampoo - I think it's called 'Purity' or something. There are no 'cones in it, just paint stripper. :D It works just as well, if not better, if it's somewhat diluted. And I use it from roots to ends.

Always do a moisturising conditioner treatment after clarifying.

suicides_eve
October 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
like girlcat36 said, i used diluted baking soda or just put a pinch or 2 in with my shampoo and scrub as normal followed by a mega moisturizing conditioner

Krifantasy
October 28th, 2008, 06:58 PM
On the same topic, how often should you clarify? Is this more a matter of feel (greasy, heavy, coated) or does anyone clarify on a regular schedule? I CWC with 'cone condish, but am not sure how often a clarifying shampoo should be used.

girlcat36
October 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Once every 2-3 weeks, when my hair starts to get like velcro at the ends.

Elphie
October 28th, 2008, 07:05 PM
I seem to need it about every three weeks or so. I think it would depend upon your routine and what you use on a daily basis and how your hair feels and looks.

Friesiangirl
October 28th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Maybe I'm odd, I use ACV for my clarifying. Shampoo and me are not friends, my scalp goes nuts.

Hayley

Cereus
October 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I tried ACV once and my hair turned into cotton candy! All I could think was that this is my hair without anything on it. OHH Noooo. So to clarify I do the same as Spidermom. Just wash the whole length for a change. Then I slather on the conditioners.

Juneii
October 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
my hair is a bit wacky but it seems to adore Suave daily clarifying shampoo and conditioner every day. my hair turns out to be softer, healthier and thicker :]

Friesiangirl
October 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Ah, I read that ACV isn't a clarifier, just now. Well, since I don't use a lot of products, I think it's okay.

I just cannot use shampoo, it makes my scalp all red, itchy and scabby.

Hayley

ItalianFlower
October 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
What's ACV?

Dolly
October 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What's ACV?

Apple Cider Vinegar

When I clarify, I prefer to use Suave clarifying shampoo, and lather/rinse twice, paying particular attention to the ends. After a clarify, I use a good conditioner (the brand varies). I also sometimes follow with a good heavy oiling before my next wash.

If I don't have a decent "paint stripper" (haha Teazel, I liked that) shampoo in the house, I use a baking soad paste. But, it REALLY dries my hair out, so I try not to use it very often.

kmoc123
October 29th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I shampoo two or three times a week and with diluted shampoo. I apply only to the top of my head and massage down the scalp and through the ends very gently. Then I apply conditioner beginning at the neck all the way down the length and what ever is left on my hands gets massaged into the scalp, not very much. I condition twice. Then I carefully towel dry and blow dry just until it is barely damp, not all the way dry. Never Never Never brush with a bristle brush if it is wet. I have two bristle brushes I love and one that is more for tangles when it is dry, plus a wide tooth comb for when it is wet. It is also nice to sit in the sun and let it air dry when I have time.

Anje
October 29th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I've got a bottle of VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, which is supposed to be clarifying. I probably ought to dilute it, but since I only use it every few months when I decide I need to clarify, I just use it full-strength. I lather my hair root to tip (sometimes twice, though it probably isn't necessary), follow with a nice soak in conditioner. Even so, my hair is extra fluffy for a few days after shampoo.

RocketDog
October 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of cheapo Suave clarifying shampoo. It works so well with the really hard water we've got here. I do a heavy oiling the night before, scrub my scalp with the 'poo and rinse through the ends, then use conditioner. I've tried shampoo bars and 'better' shampoos and none of them work as well as the suave!

meganb990
October 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Apple Cider Vinegar rinses do wonders for me.

Forever_Sophie
October 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I currently use Herbal Essences Degunkify (have the VO5 one lined up for when this is finished), and just condition w/ one of my moisturizing conditioners.

I know when it's time to clarify when my hair is just dull or the texture feels off/coated. I use a lot of products ;) Usually every few weeks.