PDA

View Full Version : How do I learn to braid?

cjk
October 4th, 2017, 09:23 PM
https://i.imgur.com/oa5RSg9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
https://i.imgur.com/9UqSI2g_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

I'm delighted to report that I now have enough hair, probably, to start braiding.

But I tried braiding my own hair and I can't seem to get my fingers and brain to connect up correctly.

Curiously I can braid my beard all day long. Single braids, double braid, even a basket weave. But I can't do it on my head.

But I can't do it on my head.

Is there a trick to learning how to braid one's own hair while it's still short?

Though the picture looks otherwise, my hair is only long enough for the sides to touch in back, not quite long enough to form even into a short ponytail. Well, unless I gather it way high and make a man bun.

Nini
October 4th, 2017, 11:17 PM
You practice ;)

It’s as easy and as hard as that. But if you already braid your beard well it’s probably just a matter of convincing your brain to invert your techniques.

I braid well on myself, on others, not so much...

_fred_
October 5th, 2017, 12:27 AM
Congrats!

I never learnt to braid as a kid, so I've been using tutorials on Youtube. Here's one I found especially helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJKL5Ey7K8&t=923s . Sure, her hair's longer than yours is right now, but I started having a go when mine was chin length, and you have more than enough to work with there :)

I'm going to echo what Nini said, it's practice. Gotta get that muscle memory working for you. Right now I'm trying a braid a day to try to get my hands used to doing different kinds, and I'm slowly getting there! It's not a quick process, especially for those of us who aren't teenagers any more, but we'll get there.

Corvana
October 5th, 2017, 12:32 AM
:sad It's just practice practice practice. Which I hate lol! I personally suggest, if possible, getting a stand mirror (like the beauty kind?) and putting it on like your desk or something so you can sit and practice. I've found it easier to do it that way, and I can toss on a video to watch as well.

Suze
October 5th, 2017, 01:21 AM
With learning new braids, for me that would be a 4-strand, I need to walk around the room while braiding. I cannot do it while sitting down. When I first learned a french braid I coukd only do it with my eyes closed.

But as everybody says just keep practising and one day you'll get there. I can graid on myself and others but I find it easier on myself for some reason.

goneJackal
October 5th, 2017, 01:38 AM
I wish it was as easy as learning Kung Fu...

... in the Matrix, of course! http://www.felipesv.com/forum/k_sorriso.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/3o7btNhMBytxAM6YBa/giphy.gif

Zindell
October 5th, 2017, 03:14 AM
my hair is only long enough for the sides to touch in back, not quite long enough to form even into a short ponytail.

Are you sure it's long enough to braid? I certainly couldn't do a braid before it was long enough to put into a ponytail. Actually quite a bit after that.

I'd love to see a pic of your beard braided! :pray:

Beeboo123
October 5th, 2017, 03:46 AM
When i first learnt, I would make my hair damp and apply gel to it, so it would be less slippery and easier to handle. Once you've gotten used to the finger placement, it's easy!

Nique1202
October 5th, 2017, 04:21 AM
At such short lengths, you're either going to be braiding very small sections of the hair atop your head, or you'll be learning french and/or dutch braiding methods. This playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkBY5PGsEhUMaEkUc3qpTnDvK5VSb1kUg) has tutorials for just about any braid technique you might ever need to know. If you've already got the skills to braid your beard, you've got a head start through the English Braid method, because all that is is "take three sections and keep turning them over each other". French and Dutch are basically the same technique but upside down, so either pick the one you like the look of better, or try both and see which one feels better to learn first.

lapushka
October 5th, 2017, 05:10 AM
I think it's still too short for an English braid, sorry. :flower: French and Dutch braiding you could give a go, as that is just braiding on the head and doesn't need that much length. But it's a good way to learn.

I'd watch lots of YT tutorials, and try try try. That's the only way to learn!

cjk
October 5th, 2017, 08:41 AM
I'm starting to think part of the issue is the mirror. The reflection is backwards and my brain is having issues with that.

Nique, Lapushka, I know it's too short for an English braid. But you're right, a French braid or even a rope twist along the edges would probably look nice. Something to at least contain or provide an edge to the bulk.

Zindell, I'll do some braiding on my beard later today and post some pictures.

Suze, I will try it blindfolded. Genuinely starting to think it really is the eyes, it's called hand-eye coordination for a reason.

Everybody else, practice is obvious. And I'll get better over time. Thank you. But I was asking if there was a trick to getting your fingers to work, in the first place.

Thank you all! And watch for braided beard photos later today.

lapushka
October 5th, 2017, 09:21 AM
No, no trick, it really just does take practice, and anyone can learn with just a little effort, there's nothing "special" to it, just getting ahead of the technique a bit. I would also not use the mirror (it does get confusing if you are learning finger setting). I'd just go by feel while following along a YT tutorial. There's plenty of those out there, I'm sure!

browneyedsusan
October 5th, 2017, 12:18 PM
I look in the mirror, figure out what I need to do, shut my eyes and do it. When I get stuck or lost, I look in the mirror again, get my head back around it, shut my eyes and go some more.
It will be a birds' nest when you first start, but keep after it. You'll get it. :)

Anje
October 5th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Lots of people have mirror issues when braiding. You'd be far from the only one. I'd suggest shutting your eyes and visualizing what you're doing when you braid the back of your head. If it's a bit short, you can always section off the top and braid that. I'm pretty sure your hair is long enough to at least french braid, but doing those on shorter hair can be a little tricky, so don't get discouraged if it gives you some trouble.

Suze
October 5th, 2017, 01:58 PM
I'm starting to think part of the issue is the mirror. The reflection is backwards and my brain is having issues with that.

Nique, Lapushka, I know it's too short for an English braid. But you're right, a French braid or even a rope twist along the edges would probably look nice. Something to at least contain or provide an edge to the bulk.

Zindell, I'll do some braiding on my beard later today and post some pictures.

Suze, I will try it blindfolded. Genuinely starting to think it really is the eyes, it's called hand-eye coordination for a reason.

Everybody else, practice is obvious. And I'll get better over time. Thank you. But I was asking if there was a trick to getting your fingers to work, in the first place.

Thank you all! And watch for braided beard photos later today.

For me closing my eyes helps so much! You just feel better where the strands need to go this way. Good luck!

Corvana
October 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I certainly don't stare at the mirror when I braid. I just like not having to either stand for however long, and being able to have the video going to help me. But the mirror is just so I can take a look and see if I've been doing it right. The times I do it 100% without a mirror turn out like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28773&d=1506890366

But if I've got a mirror to glance at, I get this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28560&d=1503957408

My main problem is losing which section is which, and a mirror can help me suss that out. Then I go back to not using it until I'm lost again :laugh:

cjk
October 5th, 2017, 03:33 PM
Corvana, based on context I think you intended to show some pictures. But nothing is visible.

Could you try again?

Corvana
October 5th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Corvana, based on context I think you intended to show some pictures. But nothing is visible.

Could you try again?

Heh I think it's because you don't have full access yet? I linked them from my LHC albums.

But luckily I also upload them to imgur.

Without mirror:

https://i.imgur.com/Zi8oyI4.jpg

With:

https://i.imgur.com/7TumNFZ.jpg

Zesty
October 5th, 2017, 06:39 PM
YouTube.

Seriously, when I joined the LHC at 18 I didn't even know how to French braid, and I taught myself with YouTube tutorials.

Also, goneJackal, that made me laugh. :lol:

cjk
October 5th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Wow!

And you're probably right. Getting close to the threshold number of posts, now, but I refuse to be "that guy" who just makes meaningless posts to get his count up.

cjk
October 5th, 2017, 10:50 PM
As requested, here are pictures of my beard braided.

https://i.imgur.com/Uudx4EX_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
https://i.imgur.com/2Hn5qpg_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
https://i.imgur.com/gcAbwgH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

cjk
October 5th, 2017, 10:53 PM
These are just three of my favorite styles. Fully natural, just braiding the tip, and doing the double braid that I would almost call walrus tusks.

Typically I would spend a little more time and make certain they were done to perfection. And with damp hair, the braid always comes out smoother with damp hair. Especially for competition. But you did ask for just a quick and dirty shot of how it looks braided.

There you go.

spidermom
October 6th, 2017, 08:06 AM
I agree with practice. If you spend any time sitting around watching TV or movies, etc, that's a good time to practice. I find that's when I'm nice and relaxed and not too attached to succeeding. One day you'll achieve a braid that looks so good you wish you were going somewhere other than bed. haha

cjk
October 6th, 2017, 08:51 AM
TOO much time. ;)

Good idea.

Hairkay
October 6th, 2017, 09:42 AM
Are you sure it's long enough to braid? I certainly couldn't do a braid before it was long enough to put into a ponytail. Actually quite a bit after that.

I'd love to see a pic of your beard braided! :pray:

I was thinking that it would be easiest to practice braiding your beard first. You'll be able to see exactly what you're doing too. When I was a child I practised plaiting/braiding the front of my hair first because that was easiest to see. I did small accent braids. I also used my dolls. If you get someone else who's willing to let you practice on them that'll also help.

Oh I just noticed that you did do the beard! I like the one with the bead.

luvlonghair75
October 6th, 2017, 10:44 AM
I practiced on dolls with long hair and my sisters' hair! On myself, I practiced until my arms nearly fell off. Most important, don't give up!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 6th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Honestly I don't remember how or when I learned to braid as a kid.. it's as if the skill just came with breathing and eating. Lmao. Though I know someone taught me... wish I could remember how they taught me though! Practice is really the only way of getting good. I can do an English braid, a fishtail braid and that's about it. I can kind of do a French braid (I think that's the kind that sits along the scalp?) but I'm still really bad at it. My arms and hands hurt from tendonitis so it's not easy for me! But yes, takes practice!!

spidermom
October 6th, 2017, 12:55 PM
I think it's a lot easier to braid myself without a mirror.

wo
October 6th, 2017, 07:54 PM
I hope it's ok to butt in here, with a huge hair development! Thanks to the advice in this thread to not look in the mirror when braiding, I have my first EVER successful braid besides plain English! I've tried this looking in the mirror for years and never even got an inch of it right. Did this my first try without looking. I have to wide tooth comb my curly hair to be able to do this, so it can only really work at the end of my wash week and if I have a lot of time and patience to do that gently. But the actual braiding was really quick! Hopefully I can do this once a week and get better and better. https://i.imgur.com/a2vMWrH.jpg

cjk
October 7th, 2017, 12:04 AM
Congratulations! Hopefully one day I will join you in a style similar to that.

Until then, I will practice, practice, practice.

wo
October 7th, 2017, 05:19 AM
Congratulations! Hopefully one day I will join you in a style similar to that.

Until then, I will practice, practice, practice.
You can definitely do it if I can. I had given up hope. 😛

Nbvoid97
October 7th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I only just learned how to braid my hair last week. Could braid my sisters hair no problem, but now that I have long hair, it has proven to be very annoying. You just have to practice

Anje
October 7th, 2017, 12:06 PM
I hope it's ok to butt in here, with a huge hair development! Thanks to the advice in this thread to not look in the mirror when braiding, I have my first EVER successful braid besides plain English! I've tried this looking in the mirror for years and never even got an inch of it right. Did this my first try without looking. I have to wide tooth comb my curly hair to be able to do this, so it can only really work at the end of my wash week and if I have a lot of time and patience to do that gently. But the actual braiding was really quick! Hopefully I can do this once a week and get better and better.

OK, wow, that's seriously good work! It looks great -- congratulations!

wo
October 7th, 2017, 12:16 PM
OK, wow, that's seriously good work! It looks great -- congratulations!

Thank you Anje :) I guess my fingers know what to do when I'm not looking.

lapushka
October 7th, 2017, 05:07 PM
I hope it's ok to butt in here, with a huge hair development! Thanks to the advice in this thread to not look in the mirror when braiding, I have my first EVER successful braid besides plain English! I've tried this looking in the mirror for years and never even got an inch of it right. Did this my first try without looking. I have to wide tooth comb my curly hair to be able to do this, so it can only really work at the end of my wash week and if I have a lot of time and patience to do that gently. But the actual braiding was really quick! Hopefully I can do this once a week and get better and better. http://i.imgur.com/a2vMWrH.jpg

That's amazing on your first try! And it's also good you waited until wash day, otherwise, I know, it wrecks the texture. :D :o

wo
October 8th, 2017, 06:33 AM
That's amazing on your first try! And it's also good you waited until wash day, otherwise, I know, it wrecks the texture. :D :o

Thanks, lapushka :)

Beckstar
October 22nd, 2017, 12:28 AM
Watching YouTube videos and practicing. I always practiced on bangs and sides first. You'll get used to the mechanical movement and then try on the back of your hair.

Chiquita Banana
October 22nd, 2017, 08:46 AM
YouTube videos!! I can braid my hair in several different ways now and it's all because of YouTube and taking the time to practice. Side braids are my favorite!