PDA

View Full Version : Well my hemline looks like poo

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM
I dont really know whats going on, I am trimming every single month and its like, my hem only slightly improves.
I still see breakage, like 1" pieces of hair just popping off on every occasion and while it doesnt entirely "worry me", i do feel that it will take me another year of maintaining until my hem looks better.. it just bothers me. Maybe i need better shears too because within a week i see a new split after s&d and trims.
Does it look as bad as I think it does?

Saturated in product/oiled:
https://s1.postimg.org/1e17x69jkf/september_19th_2017.jpg

No product whasoever:
https://s1.postimg.org/3gh0l824jz/september_25.png

I trimmed another 1/4" a few days after taking this picture so towards the middle of october I will grab another photo before I move to my new place.
But i really doubt ill see a difference. I want to almost chop back to APL but im trying to keep myself from doing it because chopping is what has kept me at shoulder/apl for so so long. I just dont get it, its not even really a V shape anymore, when its more dry and not oiled its like a W but worse....
I dont know, im keeping it up in a braid every day because buns give me headaches but i think thats a part of what casing breakage.
I think my dryness is also from using henna and indigo so I recently decided to give it up, i dont want too because i love this color but, oi. Im only doing my roots but somehow i feel like its contributing to my breakage.

any advice would be much appreciated.. ive been here a long time but im still learning.

Dark40
October 3rd, 2017, 10:28 PM
I honestly don't think your hemline looks bad at all. In fact, I love the thickness in your hemline in the above photo! Maybe it's the shears that are causing the split ends. No, don't cut back to APL. I don't think you really need to. I know that sometimes you want to chop some hair off when it's not behaving the way you it to. But hang in there. :)

Shorty89
October 3rd, 2017, 10:44 PM
Do you have any old damage on those ends that could be causing breakage? Maybe vary the type of braid and where you put the elastic to try to prevent splits. Have you tried a paranda to protect your ends? Or what about Heidi braids? Your hair could also need protein or moisture to help prevent those dry ends. I hope you find a solution. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 3rd, 2017, 11:37 PM
Do you have any old damage on those ends that could be causing breakage? Maybe vary the type of braid and where you put the elastic to try to prevent splits. Have you tried a paranda to protect your ends? Or what about Heidi braids? Your hair could also need protein or moisture to help prevent those dry ends. I hope you find a solution. :)

I mean, maybe? I dont color with chemical dye, havent touched color in 3 years. I dont use heat. I generally dont do anything damaging, and I constantly trim so i dont know why my hair continues to snap off. I cant really do much in regards to braids as I have tendonitis so a quick "french" (i think thats what its called?) is what i do, then i hold it with one of those braiding elastics because ribbon slips off and nothing else will hold because my ends are thin and my braid is thin...
Nah parandas arent my thing. Never heard of a Heidi braid but ill look it up.
My moisture and protein is pretty balanced I think.. i do as much as i can as my hair snaps no matter what. I have never been able to tell when my hair needed moisture or protein because no matter what I do it never seems to look incredibly different.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 3rd, 2017, 11:40 PM
ok Heidi braid is a crown braid.. i cant do that at all. ill be in pain within minutes.

diddiedaisy
October 4th, 2017, 12:19 AM
Have you tried just simply twisting it and holding it with a claw clip or flexi 8? It takes about 3 seconds to do and keeps the ends nicely tucked away all day. You can even leave oil the ends as they can’t be seen.

Are you using an oil that penetrates the hair shaft? Sunflower is a good alternative to coconut, I think a lot seem to have problems with coconut oil. It’s cheap and will help strengthen the hair shaft. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 12:30 AM
Have you tried just simply twisting it and holding it with a claw clip or flexi 8? It takes about 3 seconds to do and keeps the ends nicely tucked away all day. You can even leave oil the ends as they can’t be seen.

Are you using an oil that penetrates the hair shaft? Sunflower is a good alternative to coconut, I think a lot seem to have problems with coconut oil. It’s cheap and will help strengthen the hair shaft. :)

Hair toys like that create too much tension. Two-three-or four prong forks are the only toys I can use that 50% of the time dont give a headache (but eventually will)
While spin pins, sticks, claw clips and the like cause an instant headache. I try doing low buns, which help, but they're usually not tight enough and come undone. So I braid every day. I usually wear a braid to sleep, but they're starting to annoy me. Wearing a braid every day is getting annoying lol its constantly rubbing against me.

Ill write that down! Currently im using a mix of amla, fenugreek, bhringraj, and neem mixed with almond oil, avocado oil, evoo and coconut oil. But for some reason everything just sits on top of my hair. So right now its used as a pre-poo so I can massage my scalp. But I cant tell if its doing anything.

lucid
October 4th, 2017, 12:36 AM
I think it looks fine, doesn't look like it needs a trim at all! Honestly, you may just be at an awkward stage. I remember bsl to past waist to be kind of a pain. I want to suggest that you just grow past this length and onto the next milestone and maintain there with a few larger chops - that method worked for me at least.

Corvana
October 4th, 2017, 12:50 AM
ok Heidi braid is a crown braid.. i cant do that at all. ill be in pain within minutes.

It isn't, actually! It's twin braids that you pin up over your head. A faux crown braid, if you will.

And I don't think your hemline looks terrible, either. Your waves and wurls seem to camouflage really well, and it looks lovely enough to me.

And you said parandas aren't your thing, but have you looked into the fake hair kind? Maybe that would be suitable?

Suze
October 4th, 2017, 04:19 AM
Looks good to me. I would just keep doing what your doing or even grow to your next milestones but maybe do invest in good quality sheers. I just bought new ones and you can just feel the difference while cutting.

Your hair looks beautifull love your color and wave pattern

leayellena
October 4th, 2017, 04:37 AM
I dont really know whats going on, I am trimming every single month and its like, my hem only slightly improves.
I still see breakage, like 1" pieces of hair just popping off on every occasion and while it doesnt entirely "worry me", i do feel that it will take me another year of maintaining until my hem looks better.. it just bothers me. Maybe i need better shears too because within a week i see a new split after s&d and trims.
Does it look as bad as I think it does?

Saturated in product/oiled:
https://s1.postimg.org/1e17x69jkf/september_19th_2017.jpg

No product whasoever:
https://s1.postimg.org/3gh0l824jz/september_25.png

I trimmed another 1/4" a few days after taking this picture so towards the middle of october I will grab another photo before I move to my new place.
But i really doubt ill see a difference. I want to almost chop back to APL but im trying to keep myself from doing it because chopping is what has kept me at shoulder/apl for so so long. I just dont get it, its not even really a V shape anymore, when its more dry and not oiled its like a W but worse....
I dont know, im keeping it up in a braid every day because buns give me headaches but i think thats a part of what casing breakage.
I think my dryness is also from using henna and indigo so I recently decided to give it up, i dont want too because i love this color but, oi. Im only doing my roots but somehow i feel like its contributing to my breakage.

any advice would be much appreciated.. ive been here a long time but im still learning.

relax, my hemline is worse. back to cones it is after finishing this bottle of conditioner. cones are not bad, just better for me. not exagerating though, I know. and keeping my nails short... oops! I like my nails both Long or short, so yeah no Problem. sometimes I end up going back to cones because they Keep my hair smooth and the moisture in (I think that´s how it should work). I found a new method to wash my hair: Standing. pro: I don´t know, but I shed way less than usual. con: a lot of water outside the bathtub. must clean after me lol.

Lady Stardust
October 4th, 2017, 04:44 AM
I think your hair looks lovely.

It might help to take into account the speed of growth for different sections of hair - as the back grows faster than the front and sides, I think it stands to reason that sections of your hemline will fill in at different rates too?

You have my sympathy regarding tendonitis, I have similar problems and have to be really careful not to make it worse.

Stray_mind
October 4th, 2017, 04:55 AM
Your hem looks good to me. I really like the second pic where your hair curls a bit.

Maybe your hair lacks moisture and that's why it breaks off.
And maybe it's damage from henndigo?
My hair hates henna. It only felt good after first application and then it gradually went really dry and started snapping off too. :(

A better sheers might be a good idea.

Dendra
October 4th, 2017, 05:42 AM
When you've hendigoed over the years have always only done your roots? Because repeated hendigo on the lengths might have dried them out. Your hair looks lovely and soft though.

I'll second others and say have a look into some higher quality sheers. I'm doing the same at the moment. I just cut my nails with a not-great set of clippers and had to redo them with nicer ones because they were rough, catching and fraying. And if hair's made of the same stuff then I guess the sharpness/quality of shears really does make a difference.

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 06:13 AM
I mean, maybe? I dont color with chemical dye, havent touched color in 3 years. I dont use heat. I generally dont do anything damaging, and I constantly trim so i dont know why my hair continues to snap off. I cant really do much in regards to braids as I have tendonitis so a quick "french" (i think thats what its called?) is what i do, then i hold it with one of those braiding elastics because ribbon slips off and nothing else will hold because my ends are thin and my braid is thin...
Nah parandas arent my thing. Never heard of a Heidi braid but ill look it up.
My moisture and protein is pretty balanced I think.. i do as much as i can as my hair snaps no matter what. I have never been able to tell when my hair needed moisture or protein because no matter what I do it never seems to look incredibly different.

I thought when you came here you had significant damage and white dots? Or am I just not remembering that correctly. You asked for advice, then, I believe on what to do with those white dots. Or, am I confusing you with somebody else, in which case, I *profusely* apologize!!!

I think as long as there are white dots, you risk breakage, and it's a thing of gradually cutting them out, gradually. But you have to be patient with things like this; it's not something that half a year can fix. :flower:

Dendra
October 4th, 2017, 06:17 AM
I thought when you came here you had significant damage and white dots? Or am I just not remembering that correctly. You asked for advice, then, I believe on what to do with those white dots. Or, am I confusing you with somebody else, in which case, I *profusely* apologize!!!

I think as long as there are white dots, you risk breakage, and it's a thing of gradually cutting them out, gradually. But you have to be patient with things like this; it's not something that half a year can fix. :flower:

If that wasn't rebeccalaurenxx then it could have been me....although I joined way more recently so maybe you wouldn't get us confused?

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 06:25 AM
If that wasn't rebeccalaurenxx then it could have been me....although I joined way more recently so maybe you wouldn't get us confused?

Yes, my memory - I apologize in advance, people! :( I honestly can't remember!

spidermom
October 4th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Well now I've seen poo, and your hair doesn't look like it. In fact, I think your hair is rather pretty. Too bad about the breakage, though. I can relate, as I never could find a solution to getting so many split ends and other types of damage. I felt like I didn't do anything with my hair, and it still got damaged.

ReadingRenee
October 4th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I think your hair looks good! Don't cut back to APL. That is what I did and although it did help my hemline, in the end it wasn't enough to make the difference worth the cut since is just starts thinning out around BSL no matter what I do. Henna really did dry my hair out as well. Actually I used Henna and Indigo so I'm not sure which was the culprit.

I got headaches at that length too and I discovered that buns held with multiple claw clips seemed to really help on some days. It distributed the weight better.

I also agree with a poster above who says this is an awkward stage. I really think it is for many of us and I think you will be happier if you just keep growing. Just my :twocents:

Dendra
October 4th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Yes, my memory - I apologize in advance, people! :( I honestly can't remember!

Hehe, could have been me then! When I joined I definitely mentioned my indigo damage and sea of white dots.

Yes ReadingRenee you reminded me to ask if OP has tried multiple claw clips holding a bun, or two braids pinned with several mini claw clips to the back of the head?

Obsidian
October 4th, 2017, 08:50 AM
I also think it looks good. Personally, I like a more natural fairy tailed hemline over a blunt cut. I can understand wanting to stop the breakage though. I wonder if you still have some chemical damage from three years ago hanging around? How fast does your hair grow?
I can imagine that wearing a braid everyday isn't helping at all, especially if you are using a rubber elastic.

Beeboo123
October 4th, 2017, 10:55 AM
I prioritize an even hemline over length, there's quite a bit of breakage on the right half, I would get my hair cut to get rid of that gap on the right, especially if I'm planning to grow my hair past my waist. Have you tried squalane or camellia oil? Other oils mostly sit on my hair, only these two (so far) are absorbed

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 11:17 AM
When you've hendigoed over the years have always only done your roots? Because repeated hendigo on the lengths might have dried them out. Your hair looks lovely and soft though.

I'll second others and say have a look into some higher quality sheers. I'm doing the same at the moment. I just cut my nails with a not-great set of clippers and had to redo them with nicer ones because they were rough, catching and fraying. And if hair's made of the same stuff then I guess the sharpness/quality of shears really does make a difference.
Yes, I usually only do the roots. I think the last time I two stepped I did my whole head because the color was.. fading? Like I could see it turning sort of green looking in some areas and I had some hair in the front that was completely missed the last 3 times I did it. So whatever I had left over at the end I just lightly put on the areas that were fading But yes, I usually I only do the roots.

I actually did, but after 2 months I realized it was because of that dang tangle teezer! Since then, the white dots have pretty much disappeared but they must be lingering somewhere because I'm still seeing ends breaking off every once in awhile. Not A LOT of hair but enough that I'm like "well.. that was kind of big piece to break off... ok.. is my hair worse than I thought??"
The breakage I'm seeing is either itty bitty, im talking like 1mm or it's like a good 1/2"-1" long. Never anything in between which makes it very hard to see and snip out.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 11:21 AM
I think it looks fine, doesn't look like it needs a trim at all! Honestly, you may just be at an awkward stage. I remember bsl to past waist to be kind of a pain. I want to suggest that you just grow past this length and onto the next milestone and maintain there with a few larger chops - that method worked for me at least.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing my hair. I just see those gaps and the sides, they feel so thin and awful no matter what I do, it makes it so hard to feel like I'm getting anywhere. I grew so much in the last year and still somehow feel like I got nowhere.

lithostoic
October 4th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Dye is a monster. I'm afraid until you grow out your dyed hair you won't see loads of improvement. Mine still looks like garbage past shoulder length where my demarcation is.

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 12:35 PM
I actually did, but after 2 months I realized it was because of that dang tangle teezer! Since then, the white dots have pretty much disappeared but they must be lingering somewhere because I'm still seeing ends breaking off every once in awhile. Not A LOT of hair but enough that I'm like "well.. that was kind of big piece to break off... ok.. is my hair worse than I thought??"
The breakage I'm seeing is either itty bitty, im talking like 1mm or it's like a good 1/2"-1" long. Never anything in between which makes it very hard to see and snip out.

That is odd, though (not saying it can't be true) white dots from a TT. I've never heard of that before. Usually it's because of previous heat damage (from hot tools and such).

Hmm, that is frustrating, yes!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 12:39 PM
That is odd, though (not saying it can't be true) white dots from a TT. I've never heard of that before. Usually it's because of previous heat damage (from hot tools and such).

I haven't used hot tools since 2012 *shrug* the second I stopped using the TT the breakage went down a bit. I switched to finger detangling only and the white dots seemed to slowly disappear as I trimmed them out.

Joyful Mystery
October 4th, 2017, 01:51 PM
I don't think it looks bad.

I struggled with dryness before finding out it was an undiagnosed food allergy contributing to it. Addressing my food allergy and finding the right products (I have rosacea and skin sensitivities) was what helped me. I did quite a bit of experimentation only to realize my hair prefers a more basic routine. No sulfates, no silicones, no proteins, no deep conditioning treatments, no oils, and washing it a bit more frequently. It took me years to sort all this out but now my hair is in the best condition ever.

Like others have said, definitely invest in better shears and maybe it's the henndigo giving you all this grief.

Lisa Long4Life
October 4th, 2017, 01:57 PM
I don't think it looks bad at all :)

*Wednesday*
October 4th, 2017, 02:14 PM
No, it does not look like “poo.” You should be your hair’s best critique.

I thought I remember you leaving the hair challenge in July-ish due to “white dots?” I see terminology like “snap off” and “breakage” being used. If you need to un-willfully cut due to those two things, you have a problem and length will be an issue. If you are serious about growing “long” hair which it seems you are, discontinue the henna or whatever you believe may be contributing to the breaking/drying and causing set-backs = possible chops. You may have very fragile hair. Your hair (from the pics) at its longest point is just at waist and that is not the majority of your hemline which is mid-back (due to the V). As hair gets longer the lengths gets older will be prone naturally to SOME breaking and/or splitting. Continuing henna may result in more posts on “How does my hemline look? Or “I don’t like my hemline.” No, no. You have posted a few times on your hemline. Stop looking at it, analyzing it and taking pictures of it for few months. Most hair does fine without all of that fuss. Follow your gut what you believe is the problem. You are probably correct.

vega
October 4th, 2017, 02:40 PM
What's worked for me is professional trims , I tried self trims it was disaster for me , now I'm going to qualified hairdresser my improvement in hair is huge difference

Cherriezzzzz
October 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Well I like your hair LOL although I completely understand your frustrations! I'd microtrim every 3 months damage or not. I'd rather have hair thin on the ends, but LONG. I'd also ignore it for a year, as in not looking at the back, taking pics, measuring etc.

If those ends were brushing against your rear end, I'm betting you'd be much happier with it? Resist the urge to chop and stay the course!

I've used panthenol vit b spray with lots of success fixing constantly splitting hair. Saturate, let dry (add treatment if desired) and shampoo/con as usual.

Being a former hairdresser, you're really not that far off, trust me. I've seen worse improve and those ladies were happy they didn't chop!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 05:04 PM
I went out and got new shears. I was using 6$ conair shears before and I got these 13$ ones from sallys.
Are these ok? They were 5" which was the size I was looking for.
https://s1.postimg.org/9axkufvonz/IMG_5030.jpg
https://s1.postimg.org/5gotbhhdwv/IMG_5031.jpg

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Well I like your hair LOL although I completely understand your frustrations! I'd microtrim every 3 months damage or not. I'd rather have hair thin on the ends, but LONG. I'd also ignore it for a year, as in not looking at the back, taking pics, measuring etc.

If those ends were brushing against your rear end, I'm betting you'd be much happier with it? Resist the urge to chop and stay the course!

I've used panthenol vit b spray with lots of success fixing constantly splitting hair. Saturate, let dry (add treatment if desired) and shampoo/con as usual.

Being a former hairdresser, you're really not that far off, trust me. I've seen worse improve and those ladies were happy they didn't chop!

Thank you, I appreciate everyones comments... I asked this other hair guru about her thoughts and she said my hair also looks fine. I think... im over analyzing it and maybe "invisioning" more damage than I actually have.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 05:08 PM
I also think it looks good. Personally, I like a more natural fairy tailed hemline over a blunt cut. I can understand wanting to stop the breakage though. I wonder if you still have some chemical damage from three years ago hanging around? How fast does your hair grow?
I can imagine that wearing a braid everyday isn't helping at all, especially if you are using a rubber elastic.

On average I grow a good 1/2" a month as long as i take care of myself and scalp massage regularly.
There could be dye left on the very very ends. Its hard to tell though.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 05:12 PM
No, it does not look like “poo.” You should be your hair’s best critique.

I thought I remember you leaving the hair challenge in July-ish due to “white dots?” I see terminology like “snap off” and “breakage” being used. If you need to un-willfully cut due to those two things, you have a problem and length will be an issue. If you are serious about growing “long” hair which it seems you are, discontinue the henna or whatever you believe may be contributing to the breaking/drying and causing set-backs = possible chops. You may have very fragile hair. Your hair (from the pics) at its longest point is just at waist and that is not the majority of your hemline which is mid-back (due to the V). As hair gets longer the lengths gets older will be prone naturally to SOME breaking and/or splitting. Continuing henna may result in more posts on “How does my hemline look? Or “I don’t like my hemline.” No, no. You have posted a few times on your hemline. Stop looking at it, analyzing it and taking pictures of it for few months. Most hair does fine without all of that fuss. Follow your gut what you believe is the problem. You are probably correct.

Im going to try and give up the henna and indigo.. its just very hard! I love my hair dark. I am tempted to go through my moving boxes and throw away all my henna and indigo so I no longer have the temptation but I also feel wasteful as I spent so much money on these powders. I got new shears like I posted above...hopefully it all falls into place I just need to chill I guess, less is more.

Shorty89
October 4th, 2017, 05:57 PM

I don't know about white dots, but I had breakage from my TT. It's now a cat brush. :p

ETA: Do you have low porosity hair? Maybe that's why it is always dry?

CindyOfTheOaks
October 4th, 2017, 05:59 PM
I think your hair looks lovely!

Rowdy
October 4th, 2017, 06:37 PM
On average I grow a good 1/2" a month as long as i take care of myself and scalp massage regularly.
There could be dye left on the very very ends. Its hard to tell though.

1/2" a month for 3 years is only 18" of growth so it's possible the last 6" or so of your hair still has dye damage that's making it hard for them to hold onto moisture. I still have about 2" of dye damage like that left in my canopy as well, it's so annoying how they won't hold moisture for more than a day or two.

*Wednesday*
October 4th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Im going to try and give up the henna and indigo.. its just very hard! I love my hair dark. I am tempted to go through my moving boxes and throw away all my henna and indigo so I no longer have the temptation but I also feel wasteful as I spent so much money on these powders. I got new shears like I posted above...hopefully it all falls into place I just need to chill I guess, less is more.

I have hair temptations. I haven't used the curling iron since January starting the hair cutting challenges. I do get very tempted though. But your hair looks fine. You're being overly critical of yourself. ☺ My niece, she bleaches her hair blonde. It's more of a natural dirty blonde. Her ends look absolutely terrible and her hair is noticeably thinner. When I was younger I used to color my hair all the time so I understand hair breakage.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I don't know about white dots, but I had breakage from my TT. It's now a cat brush. :p

ETA: Do you have low porosity hair? Maybe that's why it is always dry?

I have no clue how to figure out if my hair is low or high or medium or what. I guess I can do the float test???

I put my hair into a cup of water and it floats.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 08:48 PM
1/2" a month for 3 years is only 18" of growth so it's possible the last 6" or so of your hair still has dye damage that's making it hard for them to hold onto moisture. I still have about 2" of dye damage like that left in my canopy as well, it's so annoying how they won't hold moisture for more than a day or two.

I mean I suppose its possible, but I have been trimming and trimming. I am doing more s&d now. I dont think theres THAT much color left as in the last 3 years ive had 2 large chops. but trimming is definitely the only option for me at the moment

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 4th, 2017, 08:59 PM
I have hair temptations. I haven't used the curling iron since January starting the hair cutting challenges. I do get very tempted though. But your hair looks fine. You're being overly critical of yourself. ☺ My niece, she bleaches her hair blonde. It's more of a natural dirty blonde. Her ends look absolutely terrible and her hair is noticeably thinner. When I was younger I used to color my hair all the time so I understand hair breakage.

ok -- holding my breath but im throwing it away.. ;_;

FuzzyBlackWaves
October 5th, 2017, 01:32 AM
Your hair looks great, I love how gorgeous it is in it's natural state as well! My hemline used to look like this when I wasn't trimming enough - I think wavy hair can be especially unforgiving in the hemline regardless of how well maintained the hair is. It could be worth cutting off all of the new growth for a few months and maintaining to see if that gives you the look you're after. I'd say your hemline looks very normal though :)

dancingfrog
October 5th, 2017, 06:00 AM
It’s coming along to where you want it! I think new scissors will serve you well. Remember that everyone sees their flaws, or what they perceive to be flaws, while others see beauty! Long hair is an exercise in patience. You can get where you want to be!
Hugs, dancingfrog

lapushka
October 5th, 2017, 09:07 AM
I think $10 shears are better than about $5 dollar ones, but it's not the same as real Japanese steel ones. ;) If it's just for S&D they should do, though! :thumbsup:

Cherriezzzzz
October 5th, 2017, 11:28 AM
I think $10 shears are better than about $5 dollar ones, but it's not the same as real Japanese steel ones. ;) If it's just for S&D they should do, though! :thumbsup:

I wish I could "like" this comment!

I hesitated to say it, because I'm a former hairdresser... I'm a bit bias, but I'd never use plastic handled scissors. Why? It just shows how cheap they made them. They couldn't even use steel all the way lol

Sally's is great though for cheap scissors, but cheap is at least $30 to me lol

Advice I give on scissors is anything at Sally's WITHOUT plastic handles. I just left badly and didn't want to add frustration! Sorry I didn't mention it earlier. Lapuska's comment though is spot on. Good steel simply is sharper, therefore better condition left on the end you just cut.

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 5th, 2017, 01:03 PM

I hesitated to say it, because I'm a former hairdresser... I'm a bit bias, but I'd never use plastic handled scissors. Why? It just shows how cheap they made them. They couldn't even use steel all the way lol

Advice I give on scissors is anything at Sally's WITHOUT plastic handles. I just left badly and didn't want to add frustration! Sorry I didn't mention it earlier. Lapuska's comment though is spot on. Good steel simply is sharper, therefore better condition left on the end you just cut.

I really can't afford 30-50$ shears. I'm moving and I'm in between jobs so money needs to be, thought out. When I can afford to buy more expensive shears I guess I will, but for now this is what I'm sticking with.

Andthetalltrees
October 5th, 2017, 02:42 PM

I've heard with sewing scissors that plastic handles mean nothing, they just cover the steel handles but someone people put more value on the bare ones hahah

lapushka
October 5th, 2017, 04:20 PM
I really can't afford 30-50$ shears. I'm moving and I'm in between jobs so money needs to be, thought out. When I can afford to buy more expensive shears I guess I will, but for now this is what I'm sticking with.

I get it; they should serve your purpose just fine right now, so you can think of investing in a nicer pair later on. :flower:

spidermom
October 6th, 2017, 08:14 AM
I agree with advice to stop obsessing about your hem if you want long hair. Get a plan and stick to it. For example only: grow 2 months, trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Repeat until you reach your goal.

melikai
October 6th, 2017, 11:26 AM
I haven't read through all the replies, so not sure if someone already recommended this, but your hair looks a lot like mine does/was looking! I was getting a lot of the ends breaking off, and still get a few, but I think it's getting better. I'm not sure what your routine was, but I was doing WO and then started using some oils on my ends, but it didn't help. I started using non-coney conditioners, and even have one with one silicone, and they've helped me a ton! I also switched to CO, but that's a different story. It's like the oils can't penetrate on their own, or they just add "oiliness" rather than needed moisture. So, yeah, my recommendation would be to try using a regular conditioner, and even try some deep treatments (like an SMT or something similar). HTH! :flower:

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 6th, 2017, 12:38 PM
so I slept with my hair down, and it flattened my wave pattern...
i think my hem was tricking me because of my wave pattern... sometimes i really hate my hair texture.. my hair looks longer, thicker and better when its straightened.
-__-
https://s1.postimg.org/3u2yjsg80f/october_2017.png
i mean its not amazing but it looks better...

spidermom
October 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM
Haha; and I think the best picture was the one with full wave and a little curl.

ReadingRenee
October 6th, 2017, 01:59 PM
I agree with advice to stop obsessing about your hem if you want long hair. Get a plan and stick to it. For example only: grow 2 months, trim 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Repeat until you reach your goal.

I think this is actually really great advice that I am going to take myself. If you have a designated trim time and trim amount that you stick to, as long as it doesn't exceed your growth, then your hair will grow and you won't obsess about the hemline because you know you have a trim coming and so it takes the hemline anxiety away. Also trimming would help the hemline over time. I can see how this wouldn't work for everyone, but I think it would work great for me. I am definitely going to apply this to my hair growing. Thanks for the idea. :)

lapushka
October 6th, 2017, 02:57 PM
i think my hem was tricking me because of my wave pattern... sometimes i really hate my hair texture.. my hair looks longer, thicker and better when its straightened.
-__-

You can honestly take 100 pictures and every single one of them will be different. It's how you fluff the hair for a picture and how it lays this time or that; it has nothing to do with your true hemline. I would stop focusing so much on it. Obsessing over things is never good. :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
October 6th, 2017, 03:12 PM

This really is THE best advice! :D You get excellent results surprisingly fast using this method.

Cherriezzzzz
October 6th, 2017, 03:23 PM
-__-

I love this pic and that curly hair one! You're really close to having a solid waist length hemline dear! I think you're soooooo close it's going to drive you bonkers for another 6 months!

Microtrim 1/8 in IF THAT for the next 6 months. No looking, no pics, no measuring hahaha! You'll be onto tbl after that! You're so close, I'd be excited if that was my hair! I'm juuuuuuust at mbl....

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 7th, 2017, 01:45 AM
I love this pic and that curly hair one! You're really close to having a solid waist length hemline dear! I think you're soooooo close it's going to drive you bonkers for another 6 months!

Microtrim 1/8 in IF THAT for the next 6 months. No looking, no pics, no measuring hahaha! You'll be onto tbl after that! You're so close, I'd be excited if that was my hair! I'm juuuuuuust at mbl....

Im hoping the move will distract me. lol I can imagine in 6 months i would be a lot closer to hip even. Im not going to think about it!

Rebeccalaurenxx
October 7th, 2017, 01:46 AM
This really is THE best advice! :D You get excellent results surprisingly fast using this method.

I think I might try this. I am monthly micro trimming and doing s&d but i dont want to over cut, over analyze and over do it.
I just really enjoy having some sort of schedule.

Borgessa
October 7th, 2017, 02:17 AM
Without reading all the other responses here, I think your hair looks lovely, and no I don't think its as bad as you think it is. Its thick and you have what appear to be fairy tail ends.. Maybe search and destroy is not your friend at the moment if you don't want the ends getting thinner and just do the micro trimming till the thinner ends that you don't like catch up... If you really want to feel better, i could send show you a pick of the ends of my hair last yr haha, then you'll realise how lovely your hair is.. I really like the curl there too. :)