PDA

View Full Version : Pin curling fine/dense hair.

Bubblebeam
October 3rd, 2017, 07:38 PM
Hi all.

I'm hoping for some advice from people with similar hair on how to set and keep a curl. The latest method of curling I've tried is pin curling and while it's very curled initially (just after pins are taken out) ANY sort of brushing (even fingers) undoes those curls by at least 50%. It's really disheartening when you see other people are able to brush through, and some will even brush quite harshly, after a pin curl (and if you know about this method you'll know how the 'brush out' is important for the result I want). They can do that because their hair is resilient and keeps those curls. Mine does not.

To describe my hair, it gets oily easily (not dry) and is very thin but there's a lot of it. Strange combination I know and it's a pain to work with.

I've tried many methods of curling and this one, so far, gives the best initial curls. Keeping them is my problem. I haven't tried any sort of heat induced curling (aside from hot rollers) and try to avoid such tools because we live in a hot climate, so using heat tools is either near impossible or miserable.

Thank you for any input!

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 07:50 PM
My advice having a similar texture like yours would be adding a setting lotion or some sort so your curls last a long time. Also try taking smaller sections so once you brush it out it holds a nice bouncy shape.

What'syour lenght if i may ask? Longer hair can be quite longlasting with rag curls.

My hair is fine with a decenct amount of it and my own personal setting whn I tried pin curls was sugar water on damp hair before rolling. It did gave a nice strong curl that last until the 2nd day. You might try experiment with the amount of rows and products you are using. And yes your hair can hold curls but it does take huge effort.

Andthetalltrees
October 3rd, 2017, 08:11 PM
My advice having a similar texture like yours would be adding a setting lotion or some sort so your curls last a long time. Also try taking smaller sections so once you brush it out it holds a nice bouncy shape.

What'syour lenght if i may ask? Longer hair can be quite longlasting with rag curls.

My hair is fine with a decenct amount of it and my own personal setting whn I tried pin curls was sugar water on damp hair before rolling. It did gave a nice strong curl that last until the 2nd day. You might try experiment with the amount of rows and products you are using. And yes your hair can hold curls but it does take huge effort.

This is all great advice! I don't have similar hair, but I have a lot of experience with wet-set curls. I'd use setting lotion or even gel when I wanted it to hold longer, I also found that sponge rollers or rag curls did better on my hair, if you use smaller sections it can look quite similar to pincurls. I know it's what you're going for, But I found that if I didn't brush my hair out after curling it would hold 2X as long, I just accepted if I wanted a brushed out look I'd have to deal with it falling out sooner

Bubblebeam
October 3rd, 2017, 08:18 PM
Been meaning to try sugar water actually, I'll remember that! My hair is past my shoulders quite a bit. I thought about lotions but again, since my hair is oil prone, I need to be careful what I apply. The curls already come out super glossy initially due to my own oils. Would heat styling spray work even though no heat is being used?

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 08:39 PM
Been meaning to try sugar water actually, I'll remember that! My hair is past my shoulders quite a bit. I thought about lotions but again, since my hair is oil prone, I need to be careful what I apply. The curls already come out super glossy initially due to my own oils. Would heat styling spray work even though no heat is being used?

Well there are some heat protectors that have some sort of moouse in it and are special for curling (my mom has a Tresseme one for that) but most of them are like regular leave in conditioners with no holding property whatsoever just to seal hair for the intense heat.

For the sugar water make sure not over sature it otherwise you migh end up with some crunchy curls (this has hapenned to me) so try to keep a resonable ratio and experiment with it,

Now pincurls are for very sculpted vintage looks and thus it gives a very strong curl that needs to be brush, I think lilly jarlsson has the type of hair like yours , detailed tutorial
and her curls come out nice so you can check her out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yughhvjKf9c

Bubblebeam
October 3rd, 2017, 08:46 PM
That is the exact video I was going off of in the first place, haha. Our hair does seem similar to look at but she can brush through her hair and not loose her curls. That is also the sort of look I'm wanting.

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 09:00 PM
That is the exact video I was going off of in the first place, haha. Our hair does seem similar to look at but she can brush through her hair and not loose her curls. That is also the sort of look I'm wanting.

Cool Im glad I help somehow!!!!! Let us now how it turned out!!!

Corvana
October 3rd, 2017, 09:04 PM
I do also wonder about your hair's typing? From what I can gather, those with 1a hair have a very difficult time maintaining a curl, while the further into a wave you get the more likely they are to stay.

Also, have you tried just gently pulling the curls apart instead of brushing them out? Even my own curl-keeping hair keeps curls way less when I brush them out (about 4 days instead of my usual "still going strong on wash day" 7+ days). So if I'm wanting to keep them as long as possible, I gently take each curl and pull it apart into two or three curls instead of the one it was. And I mean gently, like I'm trying to untangle the most delicate silk. It takes me a long time, but IMO it's worth it.

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 06:20 AM
Hi all.

I'm hoping for some advice from people with similar hair on how to set and keep a curl. The latest method of curling I've tried is pin curling and while it's very curled initially (just after pins are taken out) ANY sort of brushing (even fingers) undoes those curls by at least 50%. It's really disheartening when you see other people are able to brush through, and some will even brush quite harshly, after a pin curl (and if you know about this method you'll know how the 'brush out' is important for the result I want). They can do that because their hair is resilient and keeps those curls. Mine does not.

To describe my hair, it gets oily easily (not dry) and is very thin but there's a lot of it. Strange combination I know and it's a pain to work with.

I've tried many methods of curling and this one, so far, gives the best initial curls. Keeping them is my problem. I haven't tried any sort of heat induced curling (aside from hot rollers) and try to avoid such tools because we live in a hot climate, so using heat tools is either near impossible or miserable.

Thank you for any input!

The thing is, you can't brush curls dry - at all, that will nix them and turn them into poof in no-time.

If you must "primp & preen", then just run your fingers through.

For me the best curling method is pillow-soft curls or foam curlers. I can't do pin curls at all.

Bubblebeam
October 4th, 2017, 06:43 AM
The thing is, you can't brush curls dry - at all, that will nix them and turn them into poof in no-time.

I've had several perms so yes I know that using a brush on curls is usually a big no-no. But pin curls are supposedly made for doing a 'brush out' afterwards, as seen by Lily Jarlssons video above and MissBeeTown on Youtube. I cannot do this brush out without losing the resilience like they can. Part of having 1A/B hair I'm guessing; it's very difficult to style any which way. :rolleyes:

spidermom
October 4th, 2017, 11:57 AM
I make it a point to never comb through curls, much less brush them, otherwise my curls will fall out by the end of an hour or two, although I'll keep some wave for quite a long time. The most I'll do is use a hair fork to break curls apart as needed and direct my hair where I want it to go very gently. I'll end up with something fairly similar to the above video.

Bubblebeam
October 7th, 2017, 09:26 PM
A little update. I tried pin curling with the sugar water solution which kept them curled much more throughout the day. A big improvement. Having said that, pin curling just isn't practical for everyday styling. For others, the method keeps their hair curly/wavy for several days. My curls are still gone after a nights sleep, which is what breaks it for me. The pin curling and styling the next day combined takes me a good one and a half hours to carry out, which I'm not prepared to invest daily as it's quite tiring.

Still I am glad to have tried this and will keep it to special occasions. The best thing about it IMO is that you get a beautiful hairstyle for essentially zero cost. Just bobby bins and sugar water. Amazing. I think I will try either a barrel iron next or just get another perm.

lapushka
October 8th, 2017, 04:12 PM
A little update. I tried pin curling with the sugar water solution which kept them curled much more throughout the day. A big improvement. Having said that, pin curling just isn't practical for everyday styling. For others, the method keeps their hair curly/wavy for several days. My curls are still gone after a nights sleep, which is what breaks it for me. The pin curling and styling the next day combined takes me a good one and a half hours to carry out, which I'm not prepared to invest daily as it's quite tiring.

Still I am glad to have tried this and will keep it to special occasions. The best thing about it IMO is that you get a beautiful hairstyle for essentially zero cost. Just bobby bins and sugar water. Amazing. I think I will try either a barrel iron next or just get another perm.

Have you ever hairtyped your hair here? You might want to do that as it might be wavier or curlier than you think. :flower:

ghost pisces
October 8th, 2017, 06:35 PM
I have very fine thick hair, and, while I haven't tried curling it, I've noticed that coconut oil makes braid waves stay really well, so that might be worth a try.