PDA

View Full Version : Flippy ends & whats the real length????

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 04:03 PM
Hey guys i wanted to share my thoughts about my current length and my frustation about my feathery ends of course im looking for some good advice and general thoughts from u too!

Ok so im on my almost 9th month growing a beatles inspired short hair and my hair is currently a jaw line almost past chin bob and blunt cut. I decided to go for trimming and shaping my man bob and growing nicely from there.

A couple of days ago I visited distant family members and while my granny saw me with my very first fresh cut; my aunt who was also there. comment that she and I had very similar lenght ( I had chest lenght hair las time she saw me). My granny started to make those anoying coments about girly hair :rolleyes: however what made me kinda annoyed and let down was the fact that my aunt who has a grown out pixie technically we have similar lenght. Whereas I think my mane is legit longer because the top and sides are a bob that fit in a small ponytail and can be braided succesfully I kinda feel super stuck because my hair is right at the middle of my neck like hers. They also had their usual way a very passive agressive attitude towards my life choices so probably that kinda affects me too.

Anyways this made me wander. A layered shaggy grown out pixie is as long as a blunt bob? A leyered style or super taper hemline is legit longer than a less to completly thick straight cut? Or is this one of the issues for only short hair people?

Also I thought that getting everything straight across with no layers would get rid of the annoying flippy ends stage and damn it, still looks like early 2000's Mary Kate Olsen hair (cringe) :O

So either way this is still hard for me and can not wait to make an effortles bun and hit finally shoulder lenght. I have no plans for trimming in near future (or in my life) just a reminder of how crappy is awkard lenght stage! :(

Maybe good new is that my hair is looking thick and healthy and my scalp wounds have healed too but damn I was made to have long hair :henny:

Lady Stardust
October 3rd, 2017, 04:32 PM
I feel your pain! I have a one length bob, and technically a long pixie cut would be longer than my hair, but I know that my individual hairs are longer! My hair is just creeping past chin length but it looks longer, to me, than any grown-out-pixie/shag hairstyle I've had in the past. Plus, it has weight, and swing, that layered cuts can only dream of :-)

Console yourself in the knowledge that a bob looks thick and strong while it's growing!

I remember being really frustrated by flip length in the past, because you can't see how long it's getting. Then all of a sudden one day it's laying straight and long :-) Hanging around the middle of the neck just feels awkward because it feels like it should either be higher at chin or longer at shoulder length, it bugs me no end. I'm planning to wear a skinny scarf constantly when it gets to that length to see if I can create an optical illusion of a focal point for my hemline.

The more pressing point is your relatives quietly disapproving of your long hair...relatives are programmed to do that, they can't help it :-) They're also programmed to tease you.

I'm looking forward to flip length this time around because it'll be more relaxed looking. I'm tired of how neat and tidy a bob has to be when you have straight hair.

You'll have your effortless man bun before you know it x

lucid
October 3rd, 2017, 05:20 PM
I think flippy ends means that you have some "wave", meaning it's not 1a hair? I have never had flippy ends, and I have had buzz cut, pixie styles, short blunt hair, short layered hair +++ :p

Andthetalltrees
October 3rd, 2017, 05:30 PM
I have permanent flippy ends, Even when it's past "flip" stage, It's just my hair type. At collarbone I can coax it into a perfect 60s flip without doing anything but brushing!

Jo Ann
October 3rd, 2017, 05:42 PM
Family will do what family will do--don't let it get to you!

I would suggest you do what you can with your hair--your experimentation will help with that--until it gets a few inches longer and gets past that first awkward phase. It shouldn't last all that long, but you'll be able to develop some styles that will work for you and get a better idea of how close you'll be toward the styles you want to try.

Hang in there! This stage won't last long--I promise! :)

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 06:41 PM
lucid Lucky you!!! I have always wanted my hair stick dead straight. :O However my hair is righ into the "stravy" category. I can make it look very straight still it has gentle bend but not quite wavy. In this short stage it does kinda wave and bounce more, thu those bits flipping like mad!!!! My hair when was waist lenght it fall very straight because of the weight!

Andthetalltrees That's so cute!!! The 60's do is so pretty on girls.... yeah girls ha ha ha (im a guy) Your hair must be really nice and voluminous!

Jo Ann Thanks for the kind words! Actually I've been doing a lot of styles and such. But what semi works for me and for everyday is tuck it behind my ears and once in a while do a dutch crown braid. I can do half ups but never been a fan of those in me. Experimentation feels it has been forever and have grown quite tired of it but I want to go back to just down or plain bun to fully go with my life without spendind years in the mirror.

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 06:51 PM
I feel your pain! I have a one length bob, and technically a long pixie cut would be longer than my hair, but I know that my individual hairs are longer! My hair is just creeping past chin length but it looks longer, to me, than any grown-out-pixie/shag hairstyle I've had in the past. Plus, it has weight, and swing, that layered cuts can only dream of :-)

Console yourself in the knowledge that a bob looks thick and strong while it's growing!

I remember being really frustrated by flip length in the past, because you can't see how long it's getting. Then all of a sudden one day it's laying straight and long :-) Hanging around the middle of the neck just feels awkward because it feels like it should either be higher at chin or longer at shoulder length, it bugs me no end. I'm planning to wear a skinny scarf constantly when it gets to that length to see if I can create an optical illusion of a focal point for my hemline.

The more pressing point is your relatives quietly disapproving of your long hair...relatives are programmed to do that, they can't help it :-) They're also programmed to tease you.

I'm looking forward to flip length this time around because it'll be more relaxed looking. I'm tired of how neat and tidy a bob has to be when you have straight hair.

You'll have your effortless man bun before you know it x

Lady stardust Actually I love a nice tidy bob rather than flippy mess ha ha ha :p:p:p

I can understand the issues with my relatives that's why I avoid them as the plague LOL.

I can pull those end bits straight and go under my chin but then they curl back and out to my mouth UGHHHHH!!!!

Really feel very understood by you since you are also growing from a pixie and know how awful its this hard task!

And yeah my hair does bounce, move and actually feels i've got something going as opossed when I grew my shaggy mullet in my teens .

I hope when you reach flippy stage you are able to bear with it just fine!!!

diddiedaisy
October 4th, 2017, 12:28 AM
Hi, glad to hear your hair is recovering well :)

Lady Stardust
October 4th, 2017, 01:35 AM
Lady stardust Actually I love a nice tidy bob rather than flippy mess ha ha ha :p:p:p

I can understand the issues with my relatives that's why I avoid them as the plague LOL.

I can pull those end bits straight and go under my chin but then they curl back and out to my mouth UGHHHHH!!!!

Really feel very understood by you since you are also growing from a pixie and know how awful its this hard task!

And yeah my hair does bounce, move and actually feels i've got something going as opossed when I grew my shaggy mullet in my teens .

I hope when you reach flippy stage you are able to bear with it just fine!!!

Ah I see what you mean by flippy ends now, I get those too so I have to coax my hair to curl under, but there's always one part that refuses to co-operate. I tried hair typing again recently, when my hair was damp I was convinced it was 1b or 1c, but by the time it was dry it was 1a with no hint of body wave.

I'm just the same as you regarding length, I need the weight that comes with length to make my hair behave.

Good luck, I'll see you around the boards as we grow, and hopefully our frustrations will ease!

spidermom
October 4th, 2017, 06:44 AM
I hope you have shrugged off your relatives' nasty remarks. They're entitled to their opinions, but that's all they are - opinions. I've heard it said that opinions are like a**holes - everybody has one, and most of them stink.

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Nevermind what your grandma & aunt think; you do you. :flower:

pandabarrier
October 4th, 2017, 06:46 PM
Pay no attention to your relatives’ comments. Congrats on growing healthy hair into a bob.
I had chin length hair for most of my life and whenever I tried to grow it out, the flippy ends drove me crazy, especially at shoulder length.

yahirwaO.o
October 5th, 2017, 12:14 AM
Ah I see what you mean by flippy ends now, I get those too so I have to coax my hair to curl under, but there's always one part that refuses to co-operate. I tried hair typing again recently, when my hair was damp I was convinced it was 1b or 1c, but by the time it was dry it was 1a with no hint of body wave.

I'm just the same as you regarding length, I need the weight that comes with length to make my hair behave.

Good luck, I'll see you around the boards as we grow, and hopefully our frustrations will ease!

My hair does that too even when its longer. Sometimes it dries with waves and bends around my face and sometimes it dries straight as pancake.... Its so weird ;P

See you around, its nice to see someone around facing kinda the same problems... we can make it through!!!!!!!! :joy:

Hi, glad to hear your hair is recovering well :)

You are super nice to me diddie. Certainly you know my strugles, you are super emphatic and I do appreciate the positive wishes you always write kindly to me.... really thank you :o:o:o

I hope you have shrugged off your relatives' nasty remarks. They're entitled to their opinions, but that's all they are - opinions. I've heard it said that opinions are like a**holes - everybody has one, and most of them stink.

Nevermind what your grandma & aunt think; you do you. :flower:

Spidermom and Lapushka I do know----and have to and need to focus on me. Lately I've been wanting to move out and finally become independent and just stay away from them (my mother include).

Its strange but the economic situation and the recent eartquake has put a very weird mood on people as whole, but in specific my family dynamic is just mad and its really getting to a very bad point in which my mental state is in danger so I gotta do something drastic about it.... certainly my hair re growth is once again another rebel-encourage stand for me more than ever in a very crappy society-family.

Pay no attention to your relatives’ comments. Congrats on growing healthy hair into a bob.
I had chin length hair for most of my life and whenever I tried to grow it out, the flippy ends drove me crazy, especially at shoulder length.

Well I do crave to reach shoulder lenght, at least I could make a decent looped pony bun without needing 4 thousand pins :P BTw thanks for the cool wish. Chin lenght-no lands limbo to shoulder is a nightmare!!!! :O

diddiedaisy
October 5th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Thankyou, that’s very nice of you to say :)

Cherriezzzzz
October 5th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I agree with you. Having that mullet look from a grown out pixie is not longer then a straight up bob haircut. It's all about where the haircuts base line is! Next time run your fingers through your hair dismissively and say that- if you think my hair is short now, just you wait mwuahahaha!

On the personal side, your relationships will most likely improve when you are independent of them. I went through the same thing. Most people go through this dynamic with family. Kill people with kindness. The more positive you are, it ALWAYS bounces back to you. If you move out, go over and bring them cookies :) visit, make nice, and let them enjoy you! You're personality stands out even through this forum. I wouldn't deprive them of the pleasure of your company. Adult children can be such a bright spot in parents lives! Shine your light let it fall on all those around you.

Lady Stardust
October 5th, 2017, 03:56 PM
The no mans land between chin and shoulder really does feel awkward doesn't it. For me, it feels like it looks good at chin length (apart from the flipping!) and then it looks good at shoulder length, but in between it wants to either be shorter or longer and not just hanging around in the middle!

As far as your relatives go, I think that family members can sometimes tease for no particular reason, it's almost like entertainment for them! It's thoughtless and can be upsetting but most of the time no real harm is meant, they probably have no clue that you're still thinking about the comments later (I'm not justifying anyone making upsetting comments here, just saying that sometimes people are ignorant about the pain they can cause when they didn't intend to). Sometimes older relatives also feel the need to "correct" someone if they don't agree with their look, because they think they are older and wiser. It seems to be a compulsion for certain people!

Underneath all that though, even if your relatives don't agree with or like your hairstyle choices, there's likely to be a feeling of respect for your strength of character in standing up for what you want and believe in.

yahirwaO.o
October 7th, 2017, 12:13 AM
I agree with you. Having that mullet look from a grown out pixie is not longer then a straight up bob haircut. It's all about where the haircuts base line is! Next time run your fingers through your hair dismissively and say that- if you think my hair is short now, just you wait mwuahahaha!

On the personal side, your relationships will most likely improve when you are independent of them. I went through the same thing. Most people go through this dynamic with family. Kill people with kindness. The more positive you are, it ALWAYS bounces back to you. If you move out, go over and bring them cookies :) visit, make nice, and let them enjoy you! You're personality stands out even through this forum. I wouldn't deprive them of the pleasure of your company. Adult children can be such a bright spot in parents lives! Shine your light let it fall on all those around you.

I actually love the evil smile and picture myself like that :p

The life advice is quite frankly inspiring. I mean I do have very negative thoughts abouth the past and how they react towards me in a very mean manner, yet I think forgiving and movin on is the best thing.... Gotta change myself and not them. I love being the shine and the neutrality and yet have to master this, cause I still feel very chicken and insecure, sometimes abused as a kind guy-man but hey... I gotta start somewhere somehow :O

.... and yeah anytime I see a shaggy mullet on guys it looks like they can make a ponytail-man buns but they have all those front bits and bangs that would look quite hideous on me (I did it when i was 16 and very wise decision for me not to do it again) A mullet doesn't move nicely like my bob does however I hate both so just give past shoulder lenght and well make great friends!!! :P

The no mans land between chin and shoulder really does feel awkward doesn't it. For me, it feels like it looks good at chin length (apart from the flipping!) and then it looks good at shoulder length, but in between it wants to either be shorter or longer and not just hanging around in the middle!

As far as your relatives go, I think that family members can sometimes tease for no particular reason, it's almost like entertainment for them! It's thoughtless and can be upsetting but most of the time no real harm is meant, they probably have no clue that you're still thinking about the comments later (I'm not justifying anyone making upsetting comments here, just saying that sometimes people are ignorant about the pain they can cause when they didn't intend to). Sometimes older relatives also feel the need to "correct" someone if they don't agree with their look, because they think they are older and wiser. It seems to be a compulsion for certain people!

Underneath all that though, even if your relatives don't agree with or like your hairstyle choices, there's likely to be a feeling of respect for your strength of character in standing up for what you want and believe in.

I think this kinda thing is ok when all members have an equal etiquete in humour aspect, yet whenever I try to answer in the same sarcastic manner they feel very offended in no time; they start creating a whole unconfortable vibe.... really weird patterns if i m allowed to say so.

Actually I was able to put it a kinda decent mid height ponytail today and look ok ish, still had to reach for 2 snap clips and 2 bobby pins with a lot of sugar water lotion and while Im not fan of sleek styles it is slowly getting to resamble a shoulder lenght style (YAY!!!) much better than 15 bobby pins just a month a go (my hair was crazyyyyyyy) LOL

Yeah I still believe in my rebel teenage me mixed with my spiritual wise hippie aspect.... no one is gonna stop me :) :) :)

Lady Stardust
October 7th, 2017, 02:38 AM
Yes you're right there should be mutual respect, and sometimes the older generation just think they're above that somehow. I'm lucky that my parents always treated me with respect, but I've experienced negativity from other people's parents.

My answer was always to listen to David Bowie until I cheered up - he's the ultimate "embrace who you are" hero for me :-)

It's funny you should say about the medium-high ponytail because I've just been trying that out myself, and yes there's more chance of hair staying contained than there used to be! Congratulations and enjoy your hair :-)