PDA

View Full Version : Fat/grease lumps in hair

MelodyLeaf
October 3rd, 2017, 04:20 AM
Hello, does anyone know what causes small lumps of fat/grease around the roots of my hairs? Not all of the hairs have it, but the hair comes out with the lump if I remove it from my head.

lapushka
October 3rd, 2017, 05:26 AM
Hello, does anyone know what causes small lumps of fat/grease around the roots of my hairs? Not all of the hairs have it, but the hair comes out with the lump if I remove it from my head.

That white "bulby" thing at the end of the hair is normal, it means it's a hair that comes out the follicle. That is not oil at all. And you say "remove it from my head". Do you pluck the hairs out?

MelodyLeaf
October 3rd, 2017, 06:07 AM
No, no not the bulby end of the hair but literal balls of fat (similar to those in blackheads) next to those 'bulby' roots. And I dont pluck the hair but rather if I scratch my head or feel those lumps moving freely, I take them out but with them, there are often strands of hair attached. I haven't always had those

akurah
October 3rd, 2017, 07:26 AM
No, no not the bulby end of the hair but literal balls of fat (similar to those in blackheads) next to those 'bulby' roots. And I dont pluck the hair but rather if I scratch my head or feel those lumps moving freely, I take them out but with them, there are often strands of hair attached. I haven't always had those

Sounds like keratosis pilaris. I've got it on my arms and legs, but I never heard about it on scalp before. When I googled just now, apparently it can affect the scalp. Supposedly (according to same search) it can be treated on scalp with Head and Shoulders. If it's bugging you I would ask your doctor to confirm what it is and whether or not anything can be done.

Nique1202
October 3rd, 2017, 08:00 AM
If you're worried, it might be worth seeing a doctor or dermatologist specifically for reassurance, but sometimes follicles just aren't able to clear themselves properly and get clogged, regularly. I have an issue with my follicles being prone to these clogs, and it manifests as acne all over my body from time to time even though I'm nearly 30, it's also a cause of ingrown hairs (I have to exfoliate and moisturize regularly, and I can't shave, nair, or wax anything), and on my scalp sure enough it's those little things that look almost like a tiny sesame seed attached to some of my shed hairs from time to time. The little bulby things almost look like I've seen lice nits described, but they detach very easily from the hair.

If that's all it is, you might see a reduction in these if you give yourself regular scalp massages with either gentle use of not-sharp fingernails or rubbing your scalp with a hairbrush, though this can stimulate oil production and make your hair look greasy faster if you don't do it just before you wash. I got myself a very firm paddle brush (from Goody's Jewel line) and after I've detangled my hair for a shower, I give my scalp a few zigzag strokes, moving it back and forth a little bit as I pull the brush through the hair but making sure the tips rub the scalp so that the whole scalp gets gently exfoliated, and then when I wash my hair the junk that's accumulated on my scalp gets washed away. I used to get a few really bad scalp pimples a year, now I haven't had one in close to a year and a half. I still get the little extra bulbs but they're pretty small and definitely not lice because they detach from the hair shaft easily, so I don't worry too much anymore.

queenbee1
October 3rd, 2017, 09:24 AM
I'd suggest using a scrub. I think the recipe can be found on this forum. If I recall right it was a sugar scrub.

Seconding the Keratosis Pilaris suggestion

spidermom
October 3rd, 2017, 09:44 AM
It also sounds like this could be a mixture of shed skin cells and sebum. I have a suggestion for getting all that off. Get a shower comb. After thoroughly detangling your hair, wet your hair as you normally would for washing. Apply shampoo either by mixing with water and squirting directly on the scalp (my favorite method) or rub shampoo over palms and through fingers, then use finger-combing and stroking motions to distribute the shampoo through your hair. Then comb over your scalp (not the length) with the shower comb. Do this over and over, moving the comb each time, until you have thoroughly combed your entire scalp. Then rinse.

MelodyLeaf
October 3rd, 2017, 02:02 PM
It is not keratosis pilaris ( my ex had this so I know haha) but thanks for the rinse and scrub suggestions :) I will definitely try them out.

yahirwaO.o
October 3rd, 2017, 04:22 PM
I used to get this when I wanted to strech my washes. Seriously not everyone's follicules are made to last that longer without surfants or detergent. Mine came with the white bolb but also a big lumpy yellow grease like the ones you get when you squezze a bad pimple (grosss ha ha ha) I joked that my hair sebum could fry eggs without problems.

What worked for me was obviously washing more often, ACV rinses and moving to small tooth comb. Flakes and greasy lumps are a problem from the past!

akurah
October 4th, 2017, 12:59 AM
Possibly greasy dandruff then? If you want a definite answer you'll probably need to ask a doctor or dermatologist unfortunately. With the way you describe it I was nearly positive it was keratosis pilaris but if you're certain it's not that you're probably right, as you can actually see your own scalp in the mirror lol

leayellena
October 4th, 2017, 04:46 AM

itīs sebum my dear. I know, I used to scratch so much on wet hair too, now I relaxed a bit. next step: calming down when I am washing my hair lol :D
a bit of sebum is not bad. itīs just the myth that squicky clean hair is healthy. nope, itīs not moisturized.

lapushka
October 4th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Possibly greasy dandruff then? If you want a definite answer you'll probably need to ask a doctor or dermatologist unfortunately. With the way you describe it I was nearly positive it was keratosis pilaris but if you're certain it's not that you're probably right, as you can actually see your own scalp in the mirror lol

I agree with akurah. If it's an issue, please see a doctor and/or dermatologist for this. It's too tough to just give advice on something we can't grasp or see on a forum. :flower: Do you have pictures?