PDA

View Full Version : Tubshroom: yay or nay ?

JadedByEntropy
September 28th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Just saw an ad for a Tubshroom...a little shower drain plug that catches hair.
Has anyone tried it?
Do you think it would work?

It says you don't have to change it but once a month or less :rolleyes: but that aint happening unless I'm stretching washes to once a month! :laugh:

Everyone on the facebook page was freaking out about the use of real hairs in the ads and about to lose it...
but the quotes on amazon reviews reminded me of LHC:
"Works really well. My hair collection has grown so much. I might have enough to make a hair friend soon."

girlwithsixarms
September 28th, 2017, 09:00 PM
My main concern is that with something that you supposedly only have to clean once a month, that's a lot of time for the hair clod in there to get all smelly and awful.

-Fern
September 28th, 2017, 09:23 PM
"Works really well. My hair collection has grown so much. I might have enough to make a hair friend soon."

:laugh: Hahaha... Thanks for sharing that... :D Unfortunately I haven't tried the Tubshroom, but this thread title sure did stoke my curiosity. Honestly, in the shower I kind of keep my shed hairs stuck to the wall of the shower as they make themselves known, then I gather them all up into a ball and throw away the ball as I get out of the shower. This seems to get about 90% of the sheds. Then about every six months or so, I do a preemptive cleaning of the drain, and it's never as bad as I fear it'll be.

Chromis
September 28th, 2017, 09:34 PM
The holes on that look waaay too big! I find the metal mesh ones catch the most and sit the best.

Quixii
September 28th, 2017, 09:53 PM
I just got one for my new apartment!
Personally, I catch the sheds I find and put them on the wall, but I know some still make it down the drain. I know that mostly because my parents have one of those metal one that sits on top of the drain, and there's always some hair on it. That kind functions fine, but I never loved it - it seemed to easily block things like shaving cream from washing down the drain. My sister refused to use it at all, partly for that reason, so it didn't help the train much. :eyeroll:

But anyway. I can't comment to the topic at hand yet because the tubshroom literally just arrived yesterday and I haven't personally used it yet. I'm also certainly not planning on leaving it for a month. I'll probably grab the hairs hopefully caught on it every time or every other.
I'll try to remember to report back after I've actually used it. :)

Corvana
September 28th, 2017, 11:24 PM
The holes on that look waaay too big! I find the metal mesh ones catch the most and sit the best.

From what I can see, the hair doesn't go IN the holes (much), but instead wraps around the main bit.

Nique1202
September 29th, 2017, 04:37 AM
I'm in the wire mesh crowd, and I highly recommend a set like this (https://www.amazon.com/Sink-Strainer-Piece-Set-Bathroom/dp/B01ASCOL72/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1506681153&sr=8-9) so you can use one in all your drains. I have to scoop the hair out of mine once mid-shower and again at the end, and wash it once in a while because it does get some buildup from my rinse-out conditioner, but I've had one strainer in my tub for well over a year, no rust and no need to snake the drain or use harsh drain cleaners.

lapushka
September 29th, 2017, 04:52 AM

I agree with that. Get these ones, and the plus side is they fit my drain, which you can't stick anything into like that!
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1iH66PVXXXXbwXFXXq6xXFXXXA/Stainless-Steel-Sink-Strainer-Shower-Floor-Drain-Bathroom-Plug-Trap-Hair-Catcher-Kitchen-Sink-Filter-Floor.jpg_640x640.jpg

These "stainless steel" ones are great. Even though some of mine have "rust spots" on them. ;) Must have been the cheapie ones I got off of ebay.

czech it out
September 29th, 2017, 05:00 AM
Just saw an ad for a Tubshroom...a little shower drain plug that catches hair.
Has anyone tried it?
Do you think it would work?

It says you don't have to change it but once a month or less :rolleyes: but that aint happening unless I'm stretching washes to once a month! :laugh:

Everyone on the facebook page was freaking out about the use of real hairs in the ads and about to lose it...
but the quotes on amazon reviews reminded me of LHC:

Tubshroom owner here! My boyfriend bought one for me when they first came out. I love it SO much more than the wire mesh one I had before. (It's easier to clean and the hair isn't visible) It really does catch all the hair too. As for only cleaning 1x per month, that's not realistic for classic+ hair. I clean it every third shower or so.

lapushka
September 29th, 2017, 06:00 AM
My mesh one gets cleaned out after shampoo, after first conditioner, and after second conditioner. I like my water to be able to run through freely so it gets cleaned after each "action". And it's necessary too, as I lose a lot of hair while washing (and yes I pre-detangle).

spidermom
September 29th, 2017, 09:44 AM
I've already got some kind of a plastic thing that fits into and around the drain to catch shed hairs. It's so much nicer than having to use hemostats to pull shed hairs out of the drain every few months. I used to think I was catching most shed hairs on my hands and was surprised to see how much hair stuck to the hair catcher. I remove it after use and let it dry before removing the shed hairs, otherwise it feels slimy from the conditioner. I can't stand the feel of slimy!

lapushka
September 29th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Yeah, even if you detangle before a wash, during a wash the hair gets manipulated to such an extent that it falls out during the washing and conditioning process, every time you rinse, hair goes along with it. I think there's still too few people who realize this, though!

Rowdy
September 29th, 2017, 03:19 PM
'Tubshroom' sounds adorable ;) I use something like this currently http://www.homedepot.com/p/SlipX-Solutions-Stop-A-Clog-Drain-Protector-Set-of-2-30756-1/205427747?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|DigitalDecor|google| D29B+Fixtures|_pkw__pmt__product_205427747&mid=sVImvnY3b|dc_mtid_8903yuu57254_pcrid_503440772 22_pkw__pmt__product_205427747_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkrfX4qjL1gIVFYezCh2bBAy8EAQYASAB EgINrvD_BwE

No hair has slipped through so far and its very easy to clean

Larki
September 29th, 2017, 04:59 PM
I have one! I bought it about two months ago and I love it to death. I clean it before every shower, it takes like ten seconds. And when I want to take a bath, I just pop it out and put the regular tub drain stopper in place.

Zesty
October 1st, 2017, 04:35 PM
I had one, and liked it okay. The issue I had was that it got clogged with conditioner pretty easily, and between that and my shed hairs I was standing in a puddle by the end of the shower. But it was better than nothing, and better than other things I had tried for sure. Other drain protectors have a lip that my hair would slide under, defeating the purpose.

Now we have a flat drain in our shower, so I couldn't use one anyway.

mira-chan
October 1st, 2017, 07:00 PM
I keep missing the b in the name and reading this as Tushroom.... which gives a very different connotation to the word.

I've never heard of this one, we just use the the wire net catchers.

Quixii
October 1st, 2017, 08:33 PM
I still haven't used it, but my long-haired boyfriend has, and said he was really impressed. He said he's never seen something so efficiently catch his hair. (And believe me, he loses a ton in the shower!)

hobbitlocks
October 1st, 2017, 10:43 PM
I had one, and liked it okay. The issue I had was that it got clogged with conditioner pretty easily, and between that and my shed hairs I was standing in a puddle by the end of the shower. But it was better than nothing, and better than other things I had tried for sure. Other drain protectors have a lip that my hair would slide under, defeating the purpose.

Now we have a flat drain in our shower, so I couldn't use one anyway.

I had a similar problem -- it worked really well at first, but then it just kept getting really clogged with conditioner and soap scum and then the drain would run slowly because of it! I found it a pain to clean, so I've switched back to a wire mesh one, which I find easier to clean when necessary.

lapushka
October 2nd, 2017, 05:12 AM
I had a similar problem -- it worked really well at first, but then it just kept getting really clogged with conditioner and soap scum and then the drain would run slowly because of it! I found it a pain to clean, so I've switched back to a wire mesh one, which I find easier to clean when necessary.

That is why we clean it after shampoo, after conditioner 1 and conditioner 2. This way the soap and residue can run on through. It is a must for me.

Six Seeds
July 13th, 2019, 09:04 PM
I love my tubshroom. I've noticed since I started using more conditioner that it needs to be cleaned after my shower because of the product building up in the center, but it's easy if you can do it right away. Pull the hair off the cylinder, turn the water on hot to rinse it out, pop it back into the drain.