PDA

View Full Version : PonyTail length

JEMTheNerd
September 28th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Hi guys! I was wondering, how long does your hair have to be in order to pull all of it back into a ponytail? My hair right now has three different lengths :( first, the back of my hair reaches the tips on my shoulders, my sides are chin length and then my fringe is about the middle of my cheek. How Ling until I can easily secure my hair into a ponytail? I had a buzzcut into a man's fauxhawk in January, I've been growing for 9 months. Any estimate on how long it'll take me to reach that particular goal? Many thanks guys!! You guys also seriously helped me out in my last post, there's some really great people here. I'm glad I posted my struggles, rather than just giving up and cutting my hair again. I want to be a beautiful Rapunzel like you guys!!!

JEMTheNerd
September 28th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Sorry for the typos! Multi-tasking rn hahaha, but to clarify in January all of my head was shaved but I left about an inch and half on top to spike if that makes sense.

lapushka
September 28th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Hi guys! I was wondering, how long does your hair have to be in order to pull all of it back into a ponytail? My hair right now has three different lengths :( first, the back of my hair reaches the tips on my shoulders, my sides are chin length and then my fringe is about the middle of my cheek. How Ling until I can easily secure my hair into a ponytail? I had a buzzcut into a man's fauxhawk in January, I've been growing for 9 months. Any estimate on how long it'll take me to reach that particular goal? Many thanks guys!! You guys also seriously helped me out in my last post, there's some really great people here. I'm glad I posted my struggles, rather than just giving up and cutting my hair again. I want to be a beautiful Rapunzel like you guys!!!

Can you make a ponytail now? You could make one and then bobbypin the rest of it back as much as possible.

JEMTheNerd
September 28th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Can you make a ponytail now? You could make one and then bobbypin the rest of it back as much as possible.

I can kind of, but the underlayer of my sides are too short and I look like an old man 😂 my fringe is also too short, so it just falls out.

Joyful Mystery
September 28th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Once your sides are shoulder length you should have an easier time pulling all your hair into a ponytail. Sounds like a tough style to grow out!

JEMTheNerd
September 28th, 2017, 09:21 AM

Once your sides are shoulder length you should have an easier time pulling all your hair into a ponytail. Sounds like a tough style to grow out!

It really is :'( it looks dreadful, but I'm hoping by around March or April I'll be able to easily pull up my hair, I wish to be able to braid the ponytail soon. It's been my favorite hairstyle to wear since I was like 13.

Corvana
September 28th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Well, I think I'm growing out a similar cut? I went from an undercut to trying to grow a full mohawk, with the sides shaved all the way down to stubble. The last time I shaved the sides was like May? Of 2016. The top was already quite long, and I was able to use it to camouflage the rest of my hair after a while lol. Then I'd trim the longest bits to about shoulder once some of the underneath hit shoulder. I've still got some to get trimmed out, but it's blended well enough that I only notice when I brush my hair that it's like 2" shorter or something lol.

But I wasn't able to get all of my hair into a ponytail until maybe a month ago. I could tuck in the shorter pieces at my temples so it looked like they reached, but they didn't! They barely reach now, tbh, and often fall loose anyway. They're almost at my shoulders, though, and I think once they truly touch they'll stop falling out.

So, in my experience at least, shoulder length means it'll reach and stay in my hairtie or scrunchie.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 28th, 2017, 04:01 PM
Shoulder length is a good length for starting off with ponytails. If your hair is much shorter, you may be able to ponytail some of the length, but have hair which won't reach - but you can always clip those up with pretty clips! :)

JamieN
September 28th, 2017, 09:28 PM
I started my current grow-out from a very short cut ("corporate-friendly" as I called it) at the beginning of April 2016, and I'm just now reaching a solid APL. I was finally able to pull it into at least a ponytail of some sort a few months back, maybe just past the 1-year mark. The sides, from the temples, gave me the most trouble - they wouldn't stay in the hairtie and would eventually fall down over the course of the day, but I dealt with that with pins or just tucking them in. Then a couple of months ago, at about 16 months, everything was finally able to get caught and stay in place all day. It's still not a super-long tail even now at 18 months, about 4-5 inches of full thickness, and maybe 9 inches at its longest point, but it works for me and right now it's my daily go-to.

I admit I thought about giving up and cutting it off again several times along the way. Finally getting to a complete ponytail (even when part of it would come loose during the day) was a huge turning point for me, and it was that point I stopped thinking about cutting it any more. I'd encourage you to stick with it - at least for me, looking back now it doesn't feel like anywhere near as long a time as it did "during".

YvetteVarie
September 29th, 2017, 07:40 AM
When I chemically straightened my hair, I could manage a ponytail at neck length, but this would be a high ponytail. I have been doing low ponytails from shoulder length, but shrinkage normally means I have to use bobby pins to keep things neat for work. I'm APL now in the back, and SL at the sides, but shrinkage, as usual refuses to make things work for me. But with straighter hair, I think you can make a neat ponytail with less length than me.

JEMTheNerd
September 29th, 2017, 06:09 PM
I started my current grow-out from a very short cut ("corporate-friendly" as I called it) at the beginning of April 2016, and I'm just now reaching a solid APL. I was finally able to pull it into at least a ponytail of some sort a few months back, maybe just past the 1-year mark. The sides, from the temples, gave me the most trouble - they wouldn't stay in the hairtie and would eventually fall down over the course of the day, but I dealt with that with pins or just tucking them in. Then a couple of months ago, at about 16 months, everything was finally able to get caught and stay in place all day. It's still not a super-long tail even now at 18 months, about 4-5 inches of full thickness, and maybe 9 inches at its longest point, but it works for me and right now it's my daily go-to.

I admit I thought about giving up and cutting it off again several times along the way. Finally getting to a complete ponytail (even when part of it would come loose during the day) was a huge turning point for me, and it was that point I stopped thinking about cutting it any more. I'd encourage you to stick with it - at least for me, looking back now it doesn't feel like anywhere near as long a time as it did "during".

Yeah, :( same problem I'm having. The sides aren't even close to being able to get into a ponytail. I can't find clippies, so I can't see, my fringe won't stay tucked behind my ear either.