PDA

View Full Version : Can Buildup Cause Slow Drying Hair?

likelikepenny
September 25th, 2017, 05:47 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen my "hair that never dries" post. I recently saw someone mention over on the hair picture thread that their hair was taking forever to dry when they had build up.

I haven't clarified my hair in about two months due to the fact that I've been cone free. However, I do know that non cone products can build up as well. Could buildup be the source of my never drying hair?

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2017, 05:50 PM
I know my hair takes longer to dry the more product I use, So I don't see why build up couldn't cause that. I suppose the only way to know is to clarify and see

Sarahlabyrinth
September 25th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Yes. I'm sure it can. Can you try clarifying and see if that resolves the issue?

meteor
September 25th, 2017, 06:13 PM
I'm sure some of you have seen my "hair that never dries" post. I recently saw someone mention over on the hair picture thread that their hair was taking forever to dry when they had build up.

I haven't clarified my hair in about two months due to the fact that I've been cone free. However, I do know that non cone products can build up as well. Could buildup be the source of my never drying hair?

Sure. :agree: Heavy use of oils, butters, waxes can have that effect, just to give a small example...
Whenever I use a heavy oil rinse or lots of oil post-wash, my hair takes much longer to dry. It's pretty normal, especially with occlusives. :)
If this is an issue for you, I'd clarify and go lighter on some products.

Jo Ann
September 25th, 2017, 06:48 PM
Likelikepenny, I recently switched to non-SLS/non-SLES shampoo and conditioner (well, except for my HG second conditioner) and eliminated my post-poo oiling with coconut oil. I read on here about using products like this and found they, too, can cause build-up. I kept some OGX shampoo around (as well as the baby shampoos and baby wash from when my kids were MUCH younger) and decided to try either clarifying or using my old shampoos every 4th wash and so far I've had no problems with build-up or the dreaded scalp itchies.

I would try either clarifying or using one of your old shampoos and see if that helps cut your drying time down. If it does, experiment to see how often you have to switch your routine.

lapushka
September 26th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Most definitely. I once, when I was a teen, in order to get over my oily hair, just rinsed mid-week with water instead of washing it, took *forever* to dry (and yes I washed it again). So I can imagine it doing the same thing with product build-up as well.

If it's been so long, I would go ahead and clarify wash. Just what I would do. :flower:

Hairkay
September 26th, 2017, 10:13 AM
I'd say clarify and see if that makes a difference.