PDA

View Full Version : Has my hair type changed?

Serimel
September 24th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone!

When I joined lhc last year this was my first hair typing picture and I was typed 1c/2a.

https://i.imgur.com/Huv70OX.jpg?1

I have experienced a gradual change in my hair during this year. I think it has to do with a little bit better moisture balance and gaining some length. So i decided to do a new hair typing today. I clarified, conditioned and moistured as I normally do and let it air dry without brushing or manipulating it. I can see clearer wave patterns and thought it looks more like 2a or 2b to me. What do you guys think? I really suck at hair typing. I'm sorry for the bad quality of my mobile phone pics.

https://i.imgur.com/y2T7pfL.jpg?1

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 12:34 PM
I would stick 2a/b on it, possibly 2b.

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 12:37 PM
It looks like 2a to me. Imo 2b would be wavier

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 12:40 PM
Your hair color and shine is beautiful, btw

meteor
September 24th, 2017, 12:43 PM
I love how your hair looks now. Beautiful! :love:

It's possible it changed, but it's also quite possible that your hair is now showing more of its natural wave and structure, if it is simply being manipulated less, processed less with any heat/chemicals... It also looks much thicker now (+less taper), likely closer to your hair's natural state when it's left to its own devices, which makes me wonder if the first photo showed your hair hair after it went through some damage or manipulation that possibly made it break off (around the hem and sides) and lose some of its natural pattern back then. Even something as simple as brushing hair less with dense brushes and finger-combing or WT combing very gently can have a dramatic effect when accumulated over months and years, since damage is cumulative...

This doesn't mean that hair can't change its texture naturally (e.g. though hormonal changes), sure it can, but I think it's quite likely that it was simply treated differently before compared to now.

ETA: I'd think it's around 2a/2b, if you are asking to hairtype it, but I'm not that great at hairtyping. :flower:

Serimel
September 24th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Thanks for your input lapushka, Beeboo123 and meteor! And thank you for the nice words. I think I'll go for the 2a/2b. :)

As for you theory, I think you are right meteor. I've been now almost one year heat free which might play a big role in this. I had and still have bad breakage from that and also a keratin treatment where they burned the keratin in my hair with hair straigtheners. I'm also more careful when brushing hair and have changed other habits too.

Dendra
September 24th, 2017, 01:46 PM
I would say 2a. Your hair looks lovely, your routine looks to be working really well for you.

lithostoic
September 24th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Ahhh this makes me really hopeful! Your before pic looks a lot like my current hair, which is bleach damaged and has a ton of breakage. Both of my parents are wavies so my texture seems unlikely.

Serimel
September 24th, 2017, 02:00 PM
Thank you Dendra!

Lithostoic ever since I joined lhc I've been an admirer of your hair. It's in much better shape than my starting pic may I say! I can't wait to see if the structure changes when you grow out more of your virgin hair. It will be beautiful in any case.

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 03:58 PM
Lithostoic ever since I joined lhc I've been an admirer of your hair. It's in much better shape than my starting pic may I say! I can't wait to see if the structure changes when you grow out more of your virgin hair. It will be beautiful in any case.

Yep, I've been "following" you (that sounds creepy, doesn't it LOL) from the first time you posted a picture of your hair. It has grown so much and I too think you might be surprised by the quality and texture of your natural hair - I was when my hair was totally dye and bleach free!

vpatt
September 24th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Serimel, whatever the type I think it is really lovely!!

Salwety
September 24th, 2017, 11:13 PM
It is pretty normal. When I first joined LHC I was abusing my hair and I typed it as 4a. Now after taking care of it and having a routine that suits my hair, it moved from 4a to 3c and now to 3b

Aredhel
September 25th, 2017, 05:12 AM
I'm not good at typing hair, but I just wanted to say that I love your waves, Serimel!:crush:

Serimel
September 25th, 2017, 06:19 AM
Thank you vpatt and Aredhel! :heartbeat

Salwety I've also noticed the phenomenon here. I'm embracing the transformation my hair is going through and I have to say lhc is the best thing that ever happened to my hair :D now I'm just waiting in anticipation what my greys will bring with them. The ones that have popped out so far are way kinkier than the rest of my hair.

Anje
September 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM
Definitely wavier! I think I'd call it 2a/2b, based on wavelength.

Andthetalltrees
September 25th, 2017, 01:30 PM
I think the first picture is honestly closer to 2a than 1c/2a in my opinion, The second one is definitely 2a/2b, maybe even pure 2b.

Salwety
September 25th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Thank you vpatt and Aredhel! :heartbeat

Salwety I've also noticed the phenomenon here. I'm embracing the transformation my hair is going through and I have to say lhc is the best thing that ever happened to my hair :D now I'm just waiting in anticipation what my greys will bring with them. The ones that have popped out so far are way kinkier than the rest of my hair.

Yeah I can hear you. The grey hair has a totally different texture and it is coarser than the rest of my hair and it pops out of the curls. To make it worse they are in the front section of my hair.

Serimel
September 26th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Definitely wavier! I think I'd call it 2a/2b, based on wavelength.

I think the first picture is honestly closer to 2a than 1c/2a in my opinion, The second one is definitely 2a/2b, maybe even pure 2b.

Thank you so much for help! :flower: