PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for Shampoo Bars

sendashi
September 24th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Hello!

I have 1B/C/iii TBL hair and I've been using Shampoo Bars for years, with some difficulty. While I love poo bars in theory, I almost always have issues with my hair getting waxy, and leaving sticky grey fibers on all of my brushes. I've been trying every different brand of poo bars that I could find, but still haven't found one that suits my hair, and was wondering if any of y'all had a similar problem/advice for a solution?

I have no intention of going back to conventional shampoo, as I would like to avoid strong chemicals, but I'm open to trying new things.

I think part of my problem has to do with my natural sebum. It has a tendency to build up and seems like it's thicker than normal. I have to strip it every once in a while or else the buildup gets too bad. Also, I started off with ACV, but my hair hates ACV, so I switched to Balsamic Vinegar, which my hair likes a lot more.

ShahMat
September 24th, 2017, 12:26 PM
I don't know if this may be of any help, but I have used "Honey I washed my hair" poo bar from Lush for a few months last year, and though it left my hair quite soft, they were also squeaky clean.. a bit too squeaky clean for my liking since my hair and scalp tend to be very dry, but that might work for you!
Before that, maybe you could also use a chelating shampoo once, just to remove any build up of sebum/products you might have

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Hello!

I have 1B/C/iii TBL hair and I've been using Shampoo Bars for years, with some difficulty. While I love poo bars in theory, I almost always have issues with my hair getting waxy, and leaving sticky grey fibers on all of my brushes. I've been trying every different brand of poo bars that I could find, but still haven't found one that suits my hair, and was wondering if any of y'all had a similar problem/advice for a solution?

I have no intention of going back to conventional shampoo, as I would like to avoid strong chemicals, but I'm open to trying new things.

I think part of my problem has to do with my natural sebum. It has a tendency to build up and seems like it's thicker than normal. I have to strip it every once in a while or else the buildup gets too bad. Also, I started off with ACV, but my hair hates ACV, so I switched to Balsamic Vinegar, which my hair likes a lot more.

I wouldn't use balsamic vinegar, but white vinegar if ACV doesn't work out. It might just be that.

Have you tried washing more frequently? What's your wash schedule look like?

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 12:30 PM
I don't know if this may be of any help, but I have used "Honey I washed my hair" poo bar from Lush for a few months last year, and though it left my hair quite soft, they were also squeaky clean.. a bit too squeaky clean for my liking since my hair and scalp tend to be very dry, but that might work for you!
Before that, maybe you could also use a chelating shampoo once, just to remove any build up of sebum/products you might have

Shampoo bars from Lush aren't soap, but sulfate shampoos. They're very different from what is "supposed" to be a shampoo bar.

Stray_mind
September 24th, 2017, 12:48 PM
Do you use some sort of conditioner after you use a shampoo bar? If so, have you tried to use a little more after using the poo bar?

Have you tried to do an ACV rinse? It helped me reduce the waxyness a bit and made my hair more manageable.

sendashi
September 24th, 2017, 01:08 PM
I try to wash my hair every 4 days, though it sometimes ends up longer between washes. I could definitely wash more, but this problem is something that pops up when my hair is just washed, not just when my sebum has had time to build up naturally. I don't mind oily hair when it's not been washed for a few days, but I do mind it when it's gross and oily even when it's still drying from the shower. I find that the stickiness gets worse the more I use the bars, as in I don't think the solution is just to rinse more in the shower. I've found that 2 rinses with shampoo bars usually results in reasonable hair, but if I wash 3 times, my hair only gets more oily, which I thought was strange.

I'll definitely try the white vinegar instead of balsamic! Can I ask why you wouldn't recommend balsamic vinegar?

I don't condition my hair at all. I've tried various oils in my hair previously, but it's always been too much no matter how little I've applied. My hair doesn't like moisturizers, and is more than fine with just a vinegar rinse.

Cherriezzzzz
September 24th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Look into Calia! I can use their conditioner instead of a vinegar rinse.

Also just do a baking soda rinse followed by acv after that. You must remove that waxy grey stuff. I would say it's not that your hair "doesnt like" acv it's rather you've not found wether you need a lot diluted or a little diluted. Oily hair likes a lot of acv and drier hair likes less.

Dilute a couple tablespoons into 24-36 oz of water. I use a large mason jar and just dump in some baking soda. Let it dissolve completely before rinsing. Then rinse and use acv diluted in water so it looks light yellow.

Definitely do not use balsamic vinegar. I'd try white however. There is also citric acid (from apple valley naturals.) Dr bronners has citrus rinse too! They work well! Have fun experimenting!

The brand of hair soap (shampoo bars) you use REALLY matters. Making hair soap is a craft, by hand process, so you really need to buy from a skilled soapmaker.

I'm totally bias cause I fell in love with Chagrin Valley. But I'm also using Apple Valley Naturals. Added Calia conditioner too. Those are brands I'd look into.

But you sound like the beginning of using poo bars... I've not heard of someone getting the wax or grey brush unless it's "water only washed" or the first week of poo bars. I'm wondering why this is now happening to you?

Have you been using lush or something and now switched to a soap poo bar?

Lastly, I've found my holy grail poo bar and I've tried nearly every single bar offered btwn apple valley naturals and chagrin valley. Only ONE bar is different on my hair then ALL the rest. Do keep trying new ones cause when you find THE ONE it's so worth it. They're cheap to try out with samples too which I am really grateful for! They know how it is with their products that it's so personalized.

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Also just do a baking soda rinse followed by acv after that. You must remove that waxy grey stuff. I would say it's not that your hair "doesnt like" acv it's rather you've not found wether you need a lot diluted or a little diluted. Oily hair likes a lot of acv and drier hair likes less.

Dilute a couple tablespoons into 24-36 oz of water. I use a large mason jar and just dump in some baking soda. Let it dissolve completely before rinsing. Then rinse and use acv diluted in water so it looks light yellow.

It is generally accepted that baking soda is not a good idea. Just FYI. It is *very* alkaline and can rip the hair apart.

Chromis
September 24th, 2017, 04:16 PM
Come join us over in the big thread! We have cookies: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=74

I think balsamic vinegar would be sticky and probably leave a residue of its own behind. I like ACV, but many people with light coloured hair like white vinegar. Citric acid is also good, especially if you don't like the vinegar smell. People have use lemon and lime juices too, but you will need to experiment a lot on the ratios with those.

Obsidian
September 24th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Do you happen to have hard water? natural soap is very prone to creating soap scum in hard water, this can show up as a waxy buildup on hair. You might look for a shampoo bar that contains some kind of chelator like edta, citric acid or sodium citrate.

I know you want to stay away from chemicals but until you find a bar that works better for you, I really suggest getting a small bottle of clarifying shampoo to remove the build up every couple weeks.

sendashi
September 24th, 2017, 05:24 PM
Okay, I searched and my water is listed as "moderately hard". I will definitely look into water filtering shower heads. I have some chelating shampoo that my hair stylist recommended, and it works fine, it's just not a long term solution. Or at least, If I can find something better I would like to pursue that.

I used to use baking soda rinses years ago, but found that it gave me dandruff. I agree with Lapushka that it is not a good idea for me.

With the rinse, I think I'll take your advice, Cherriezzzzz, and experiment with the amounts and types of vinegar/acid I use.

Chagrin Valley definitely had some bars that my hair liked more than others, so I may give them another try. I know they worked really wonderfully for my mother and sister! I've almost always had the waxy issue, which has been frustrating, especially since my mother and I share shampoo bars and she's never dealt with this issue...

I've never used Lush bars, because they still have sulfates and whatnot. I still have a Godiva bar that I was given and could't use... :undecided

ShahMat
September 29th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Shampoo bars from Lush aren't soap, but sulfate shampoos. They're very different from what is "supposed" to be a shampoo bar.

Oh, I didn't know that, I guess at the time I wasn't so careful about what I put in my hair, so I just trusted the nice saleswoman when she recommended a shampoo bar and I didn't pay attention to the ingredients.
Sorry, my bad if I wasn't of help and thank you Lapushka for making me notice, your posts are always somehow educational :o

Cherriezzzzz
September 29th, 2017, 07:14 PM
It is generally accepted that baking soda is not a good idea. Just FYI. It is *very* alkaline and can rip the hair apart.

I know, but it's not scary within shampoo bar users. It's liquid. Clear. I'm NOT advocating using paste consistency. The baking soda is completely dissolved. In ALL my years in hairdressing I've never, ever, had a bad result, really LoL! It's a great clarifier for very cheap.

Cherriezzzzz
September 29th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I've never used Lush bars, because they still have sulfates and whatnot. I still have a Godiva bar that I was given and could't use... :undecided

OOOH ok so use your godiva bar to clarify?! I heard that bar smells amazing! On YouTube coffee&makeup, a loooong haired lady, uses that exact bar I believe!