PDA

View Full Version : Chamomile rinse

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 02:39 AM
Even though I have dark hair, I love chamomile rinses as it gives my hair shine and a golden glow, especially under the sun. Also, it makes my hair frizz-free for the next few washes. Does anyone else notice that, regarding the frizz? How does that work?

LadyCelestina
September 24th, 2017, 04:22 AM
It's slightly acidic, so maybe that :) ?

arcadianblue
September 24th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Ooh. I haven't heard of this before. Does it significantly lighten dark hair too? I know of only the effects of honey.

LadyCelestina
September 24th, 2017, 08:03 AM
Ooh. I haven't heard of this before. Does it significantly lighten dark hair too? I know of only the effects of honey.

It doesn't lighten it, but it may make hair seem lighter since it imparts a very weak yellow/golden stain (and warmer colours are typically perceived as lighter compared to ashy) :)

arcadianblue
September 24th, 2017, 08:09 AM
It doesn't lighten it, but it may make hair seem lighter since it imparts a very weak yellow/golden stain (and warmer colours are typically perceived as lighter compared to ashy) :)

I see. It sounds interesting! I might give it a try. I have quite dark hair as well. How often do you do the rinse?

MamaSwanky
September 24th, 2017, 08:22 AM
More details please! This is very interesting. Do you brew it stronger? Do you rinse it out?

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 08:31 AM
MamaSwanky, I do rinses once every one or two weeks. I boil 4-5 teabags in about 500mL of water, wait for it to cool, then rinse my dirty hair in it. I leave it in for 2 hours, letting it dry, before washing my hair as per normal. It does not lighten my hair significantly when I do weekly rinses (maybe just one shade), but makes it really shiny and glowy under the light

lapushka
September 24th, 2017, 09:47 AM
Even though I have dark hair, I love chamomile rinses as it gives my hair shine and a golden glow, especially under the sun. Also, it makes my hair frizz-free for the next few washes. Does anyone else notice that, regarding the frizz? How does that work?

I used to brew tea with pure camomile flowers and use that in a rinse. I think I did it as long as the bag lasted, and then I just stopped doing it. I noticed a soft golden glow as well, but it never did a thing for my frizz. Maybe that's a YMMV thing, I don't know. At the time I also used the Garnier Ultra Doux line (whole blends in the US) with camomile for a double whammy. It was lovely where the glow and tint of the hair was concerned. But that's about it.

Cherriezzzzz
September 24th, 2017, 02:09 PM
I wonder why my hibiscus rinse doesn't make my red hair any redder... maybe I should try chamomile LoL

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 02:24 PM

Arcadianblue, I don't see significant lightening effects when I do occasional rinses (every one or two weeks). However, in the past, when I was doing almost daily rinses, my hair did get noticably lighter.

http://i.imgur.com/pu7DDK0.jpg
This is my natural hair color (I have a few streaks that are lighter than the rest)

http://i.imgur.com/uE64UIi.jpg
My hair color after doing daily rinses for months. It does look a little brighter here because of the flash, but my hair was definitely lighter in color.

In both photos, my hair is virgin and unprocessed. So yes, chamomile does lighten hair, but only if you use it religiously.

Beeboo123
September 24th, 2017, 02:31 PM
Cheriezzzzz Have you tried beet juice? I used that when I had dyed red hair, it kept my hair color looking fresh. Don't know how it would look on natural red hair though...

arcadianblue
September 25th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Thank you for the recipe! Even though the photos are with flash, I can see that your hair is quite more golden-brown after the chamomile rinses. Your hair looks very lustrous too! :)