PDA

View Full Version : Hair Advice Please!!

JEMTheNerd
September 23rd, 2017, 11:13 AM
So, some may know that January 5th of 2017 I buzzed my sides, and nape. I also cut all of my hair to where the longest part of it was maybe at most 2inches. I spiked it, think of a guys fauxhawk and that's what I had. It's been 9 months and I look like a member of the Beatles. The back of my hair now reaches the tips of my shoulders, my sides the bottom of my ears/tip of my jaw. And the front of my hair, which somehow grew into a fringe reaches the tip of my ear. You can imagine the uneven, messy nightmare that is my hair. 😂 it doesn't help that my hair is wavy, so my fringe curls up like a half pipe. I've been losing hope of me ever reaching knee length hair. Sometimes I'm tempted to just buzz it all off, but I'm almost at the one year mark. I want to have long luscious hair, but it's so aggravating that I have to constantly deal with this messy mop of mine. I am going to look deathly awful next year for senior portraits. I suppose I just hate looking normal, or average. I like having an air of uniqueness about me. Everyone on highschool has shoulder to waist length hair, and me growing my hair out means I'm just going to look like every other girl around me. It angers me for some reason and I'm so close to giving up. 😔😓 Idk what to do, I really adore the idea of being a real life Rapunzel. I'm so confused and just torn rn. Any advice is welcome, please give me your thoughts of what you would do if in my shoes.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2017, 12:49 PM
The shape of your hair can make a big difference in how it looks. If you know of a good hair stylist, you could get a cut that shapes it up so that it falls into place better. Make it clear that you are growing it out and don't want to lose a lot of length.

Otherwise, you might want to make use of things like bandannas, hats, clips, and so forth. Growing from ultra-short involves a few really awkward stages, that's for sure.

Robi-Bird
September 23rd, 2017, 12:50 PM
My advice would be to cut your hair, to even out the back and front and grow from there. Having a hair length goal is great, but you need to at least on some level enjoy your hair as it grows if you want to be able to get there. My experience with people around me is that it is when hair gets to an awkward length that people often hack it off, often regretting it quickly so it is important to find ways to appreciate what you have as you grow to your goal.

LadyCelestina
September 23rd, 2017, 01:22 PM
It's not looks that makes you different and unique :D It's your personality. Also fashion but that's the smaller part :D.

Hair has very very little to do with the looking unique part of being unique, imo, because what "edgy" hairstyle hasn't been done a thousand times before? For example how many super-unique-artistic-instagram-whatever people have wild colored hair these days? Quite a lot of them:D sometimes it's just another kind of uniformity eta: and sometimes the person just likes colourful hair and happens to fit in with the trend or stereotype. Either way, it's just hair.

You could also wear your hair up all the time once it's long enough, then wear extensions for your photoshoot next year if you really wanted to:D

MusicalSpoons
September 23rd, 2017, 02:19 PM
Welcome! :D if you do decide to continue growing:
You can be different by growing healthy hair and treating it well (whatever that means for your hair) that doesn't have to have split ends trimmed off every couple of months - hair that you can trim because you want to, not because you have to.
You can be different by making informed decisions about your hair - if you do decide to do things that are typically damaging, you can minimise the damage and look after your hair well afterwards, to keep it in the best condition possible.

And then, once you've reached hip+, you'll no longer look like all of the other girls around you. Although, while it will take a few years to get really long, shoulder-waist hair might go off trend at any point during that time and many would cut their hair to conform, so you'd look different sooner anyway! :grin:

It's your hair and your decision, but if you do decide to make a go of it, there is plenty of support and motivation here at LHC, with love Android appreciation for hair of all lengths, and help to get through any awkward length stages too! I hope you enjoy your time here, whatever you decide to do :blossom:

lapushka
September 23rd, 2017, 02:35 PM
So, some may know that January 5th of 2017 I buzzed my sides, and nape. I also cut all of my hair to where the longest part of it was maybe at most 2inches. I spiked it, think of a guys fauxhawk and that's what I had. It's been 9 months and I look like a member of the Beatles. The back of my hair now reaches the tips of my shoulders, my sides the bottom of my ears/tip of my jaw. And the front of my hair, which somehow grew into a fringe reaches the tip of my ear. You can imagine the uneven, messy nightmare that is my hair. �� it doesn't help that my hair is wavy, so my fringe curls up like a half pipe. I've been losing hope of me ever reaching knee length hair. Sometimes I'm tempted to just buzz it all off, but I'm almost at the one year mark. I want to have long luscious hair, but it's so aggravating that I have to constantly deal with this messy mop of mine. I am going to look deathly awful next year for senior portraits. I suppose I just hate looking normal, or average. I like having an air of uniqueness about me. Everyone on highschool has shoulder to waist length hair, and me growing my hair out means I'm just going to look like every other girl around me. It angers me for some reason and I'm so close to giving up. ���� Idk what to do, I really adore the idea of being a real life Rapunzel. I'm so confused and just torn rn. Any advice is welcome, please give me your thoughts of what you would do if in my shoes.

Ok, first calm down a little. A page-boy hairstyle (Beatles-like) is actually very nice looking and it's just a stage in the growing out process, think of it that way! I'm sure you can make it into something cute with a little gel (slick back the sides or something).

It requires effort, and patience and a little perseverance on your part.

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you can do it! :thumbsup:

Welcome, BTW! :)

vpatt
September 23rd, 2017, 02:37 PM
You could always wear a wig or extensions for a different look from time to time. But I agree that having healthy hair would be different than most people. I personally think you sound like you would be happier letting it grow and come here for help, company and encouragement. I know how hard it is waiting for your hair to grow. Good luck!!

JEMTheNerd
September 23rd, 2017, 09:20 PM
yeah this was a bit of a rant I've held in for awhile, as for gel and styling I just moved so everything is packed. Honestly I'm just gonna do what I have been, and that's ignore it 😂 Idk I just am gonna continue to grow it. I don't want to cut it. Because I know that if I start to, I won't stop and it'll be super short again. So imma just suck it up and leave it be. Thank you for your comment ^_^

JEMTheNerd
September 23rd, 2017, 09:22 PM
The shape of your hair can make a big difference in how it looks. If you know of a good hair stylist, you could get a cut that shapes it up so that it falls into place better. Make it clear that you are growing it out and don't want to lose a lot of length.

Otherwise, you might want to make use of things like bandannas, hats, clips, and so forth. Growing from ultra-short involves a few really awkward stages, that's for sure.

I don't want to cut it again, simply because if I do I know I'll go super short again. I'm just gonna suck it up and continue on growing I guess. Thanks for commenting. :)

JEMTheNerd
September 23rd, 2017, 09:23 PM
You could always wear a wig or extensions for a different look from time to time. But I agree that having healthy hair would be different than most people. I personally think you sound like you would be happier letting it grow and come here for help, company and encouragement. I know how hard it is waiting for your hair to grow. Good luck!!

I'll try to! :) I just am gonna tune out my hair for awhile, once I can pony tail it I think I'll feel a lot better. Thanks for your comment!

JEMTheNerd
September 23rd, 2017, 09:26 PM
Welcome! :D if you do decide to continue growing:
You can be different by growing healthy hair and treating it well (whatever that means for your hair) that doesn't have to have split ends trimmed off every couple of months - hair that you can trim because you want to, not because you have to.
You can be different by making informed decisions about your hair - if you do decide to do things that are typically damaging, you can minimise the damage and look after your hair well afterwards, to keep it in the best condition possible.

And then, once you've reached hip+, you'll no longer look like all of the other girls around you. Although, while it will take a few years to get really long, shoulder-waist hair might go off trend at any point during that time and many would cut their hair to conform, so you'd look different sooner anyway! :grin:

It's your hair and your decision, but if you do decide to make a go of it, there is plenty of support and motivation here at LHC, with love Android appreciation for hair of all lengths, and help to get through any awkward length stages too! I hope you enjoy your time here, whatever you decide to do :blossom:

😂 I'll no longer even be in HS once I get hip length, it takes about 5 Years to get hip length yes? I will be in the middle of college or out of school completely. I want long hair, I'm just having a hard time rn with my very short, awful hair Rn. I don't plan on evening it out, I just am letting it do it's in thing if that makes sense. Just a bit depressed 😂 thank you for your comment!

Jo Ann
September 23rd, 2017, 10:34 PM
JEM, you might not have the hair you want NOW, but it's never too late to start working toward the hair you WANT. Patience, realistic near-term goals and baby steps will be your friend!

First, don't be too hard on yourself--we have, all of us, been where you are now mentally, if not hair-wise. Focus on what your end goal is and try not to lose sight of it.

Keep your near-term goals realistic--collar-bone length, shoulder-length and armpit length are realistic goals to have for a 6-12 month goal, depending on how fast your hair grows (which, from your description, appears to be rather quick). Find a hair care routine that works for YOU (and there's plenty of information on here that can help you out) and stick to it for awhile, tweaking as needed as your hair gets longer. You'll find something for every hair problem here, as well as DIY* masks and treatments that can help you reach your goal. Yes, there will be some experimentation involved to find what works for your hair, but that's part of the growing.

As I say in my signature, BABY STEPS! Take it one day at a time--we, none of us, have had our hair go from drab to fab overnight. None of us have gone from pixie to classic length overnight. The big key is PATIENCE. If you get discouraged, or have questions, either research here or start a thread--together, we can help you reach your goals!

Welcome aboard, good luck and happy growing!

*Do It Yourself

Nique1202
September 24th, 2017, 05:23 AM
One way you can make yourself look more unique even if you have the same length of hair as everyone else, is with the styles you shape it into. You're at the best length to start to learn french and dutch braids (YouTube user SilVousPlaits did a series of braid tutorials recently that are really helpful) because if your shortest sections of hair touch your ears you should have enough to start practicing, and then you can do all kinds of stuff as it gets longer. You could spiral a braid out from your crown, you could mimic styles from Vikings and The 100 and other fantasy type shows (there are tons and they all look pretty awesome), once the shortest bits of hair are as long as your shoulders you can probably even do a stuffed french braid that looks mohawk-like without having to keep short hair.

Short hair isn't the only way to stand out from a shoulder-to-waist crowd. If you can start learning braiding techniques now, you'll have an arsenal full of uniqueness at your fingertips that will only grow as your hair does.

JEMTheNerd
September 24th, 2017, 11:26 AM
JEM, you might not have the hair you want NOW, but it's never too late to start working toward the hair you WANT. Patience, realistic near-term goals and baby steps will be your friend!

First, don't be too hard on yourself--we have, all of us, been where you are now mentally, if not hair-wise. Focus on what your end goal is and try not to lose sight of it.

Keep your near-term goals realistic--collar-bone length, shoulder-length and armpit length are realistic goals to have for a 6-12 month goal, depending on how fast your hair grows (which, from your description, appears to be rather quick). Find a hair care routine that works for YOU (and there's plenty of information on here that can help you out) and stick to it for awhile, tweaking as needed as your hair gets longer. You'll find something for every hair problem here, as well as DIY* masks and treatments that can help you reach your goal. Yes, there will be some experimentation involved to find what works for your hair, but that's part of the growing.

As I say in my signature, BABY STEPS! Take it one day at a time--we, none of us, have had our hair go from drab to fab overnight. None of us have gone from pixie to classic length overnight. The big key is PATIENCE. If you get discouraged, or have questions, either research here or start a thread--together, we can help you reach your goals!

Welcome aboard, good luck and happy growing!

*Do It Yourself

Thank you so much, what you said really helped me I'm not kidding. I suppose I have just been getting frustrated, and reading what your wrote has encouraged me. I realize now I've been having only one solid goal rather than many mini ones like you suggested. my ultimate goal is to get knee length hair, but I think I need to break it down - baby steps. So my first goal out of many to my ultimate goal with be a ponytail. I can almost pull it all back, but not quite yet! I feel refreshed a bit after reading your words. Thank you so much for commenting you've helped me so much!!! <3

Jo Ann
September 24th, 2017, 01:54 PM
You're very welcome, JEM--perspective helps ;)