PDA

View Full Version : Long haired man vs. employment

iforgotmylogin
September 20th, 2017, 06:52 PM
So, I want to change jobs. I've been performing a management role simultaneously with a laboring role ever since our middle manager left almost 2 years ago. Despite promises, my compensation for taking it all on when nobody else would has not been forthcoming. Time to stop having my generous nature exploited.

This is the first time I've sought a job whilst having long hair. In the past I've actually cut my hair off twice just in case a potential employer was a bit backward again a man with long hair. But I no longer receive free cuts and I've grown quite fond of my hair. Being that I've been turning silver for years (despite being only mid 30's) and that it is way more obvious since my hair has grown I think it looks like distinguished. But that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Putting aside our collective appreciation of lengthy hair, would you hold it against a bloke looking to work for you? Please be honest, people here are gentle, considerate & honest so I believe I can rely on the community to give it to me straight.

Aredhel
September 20th, 2017, 06:57 PM
I wouldn't. As long as a person is well groomed and well spoken, I will see them as such. Hair length is irrelevant.

One of my best friends is a guy with TBL hair. Whenever he's at work or at any formal event, he combs his hair into a neat bun and he blends right in. Nobody even looks twice at his hair. I do live in Canada though, so things might not be like that everywhere?

my2cats1
September 20th, 2017, 07:28 PM
I agree. Just keep it neat and contained (bun or ponytail) and it should be a non-issue.
good luck with the job search!

-Fern
September 20th, 2017, 07:35 PM
I agree--the biggest issue for most employers will be whether you look neatly groomed, professional and whether you interact well with customers/clients/coworkers.

akurah
September 20th, 2017, 07:42 PM
What industry are you in? That determines a lot. If you stated it with "laboring", I apologize, I'm not sure what that means. Is that akin to what Americans call "blue collar" (predominantly manual labor and non-degree work, such as landscaping, construction, many transit/bus/train related roles, mechanic, etc)?

iforgotmylogin
September 20th, 2017, 08:02 PM
Pardon me, it would be blue collar in American parlance, yes.

akurah
September 20th, 2017, 09:48 PM
I would gauge it depending on if it would be a safety risk in that case, to be quite honest. Even contained hair can get loose, and caught in, say, a drill bit, and next thing you know...

Insofar as getting a job--if you can, scope out the workplace, the other employees. Are tattoos or piercings shown visibly (blatantly so)? Alternately, are men wearing long hair? If any of those three are true (it does not have to be all three) AND it's not a safety concern, you are probably safe keeping your hair long if you can secure it in a way to be tidy (low ponytail, braid, etc).

Aunt Rapunzel
September 20th, 2017, 10:05 PM
It can partly depend on the area in which you live, too. My youngest brother had long hair, but to get into management in the factory that he's currently working in, he had to cut his hair. It's a small town, the factory owner didn't want long hair on the men because he thinks it looks unprofessional. He allowed the men who were hourly workers to have long hair if they kept it tied back, or if it was very long, in a net or bun, but if you wanted to move up in the company, your hair had to be short if you were a guy. I think akurah's advice is very good. If you're able to kind of get an idea of whether the workplace you're trying to hire into would be okay with long hair on a man, then you'd probably be safe to keep it long. As much as we all admire long, healthy, amazing hair around here, you're right...not everybody does.

Best wishes to you in your job search!

spidermom
September 20th, 2017, 10:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me as long as it was clean and neat. We have a doctor at our local hospital with a tailbone-length braid. He is native American, and the long braid absolutely suits him.

lapushka
September 21st, 2017, 04:53 AM
If it is neatly ponytailed, obviously cared for, so "contained", then no. If it's just hanging loose and floating about, I might make a mental note of, hmm... maybe not. I'm just honest; these are my feelings. Having it neatly contained shows that you take safety on the floor into consideration and that is a plus!

Cherriezzzzz
September 21st, 2017, 06:48 AM
I've seen fuzzy, unkempt looking long hair in men in a ponytail so avoid that. Do not put your hair in a ponytail WET, and then let it air dry pulled back to avoid this.

My now husband, when he had long hair did this, but his hair was silk and straight. It's actually bad for your hair long term anyhow.

My dad has very long wavy, fuzzy hair... like me, so those stray "stick up everywhere" hairs I'd try to smooth. I think brushing it after air drying before ponytail :)

Do you want to work for someone whose intolerant towards a guy's long hair...? Don't cut it for that reason lol cut it bc you want to.

Do a LOW ponytail :)

browneyedsusan
September 21st, 2017, 08:09 AM
It wouldn't bother me in the least.
I live near Indianapolis, and have seens lots of sikhs in professional jobs. (One guy matches his turban to his necktie or pocket square!)

I'd think if you smoothed it back into a low bun, no one would even notice. :)

ETA:
I work in a climbing gym, and although the environment is relaxed: piercings, tattoos, crazy hair, is all embraced; we have to be mindful of safety. I wear my wedding ring on a short ribbon around my neck, and tie up my hair. All that stuff can get tangled up in ropes or belay devices. I ask customers to remove dangling jewelry and we have hair elastics at the front counter for free.

It's important to look like you respect the job setting. :)

esfand
September 21st, 2017, 10:24 AM
About jobs.. go ask other men with long hair and how they handle it. For example here: https://www.reddit.com/r/FierceFlow/comments/4qs8z5/what_do_you_do_in_professional_settings_job/

Would I hold it against a long haired bloke if I was hiring? Yes and no, because the way how people wear and shape their hair doesn't happen in a vacuum. It's not clear cut as "he has long hair, HMMM." it's a bunch of little factors adding into my decision, but hair isn't absent from it. There is a whole history (mostly about maintaining order, hierarchy, and control) over why men begin having to cut their hair and shave their beards, especially the more urban the lifestyle. It has a very Roman and a military origin. At the very least, long hair shows that the man stands out and doesn't follow certain conventions - but for what reason? Religion? Priorities? Vanity? Self expression (for what cost)? Subtle rebellion? That's the real question. There's a reason why male long hair is associated with religions, spirituality, fringe lifestyles, and social rebels (like bikers, revolutionaries, and rock stars) in ways that female hair isn't.

The reason why a lot of employers don't like long haired men is because it shows, at a subconscious level, that the man doesn't follow conventions. Most employers are looking for someone that will obey, and male long hair is opposite of that. The employer wonders if he will be disobeyed or challenged.

Obsidian
September 21st, 2017, 10:45 AM
I'm not a fan of man buns but a low sleek bun looks better on imo than a ponytail. To me, ponytails seem like a lazy way to just get your hair out of the way. Id like to see something neater for a job interview.
We have a young man who works at a food counter with waist length hair. He pulls it into a small sleek bun at his nape and it looks really neat and professional.

MoonRabbit
September 21st, 2017, 12:30 PM
My partner is a tool and die maker in a large factory. He has long hair and a long beard. He has to wear two hair nets and keep his hair contained in a bun for safety and regulation since the company creates lids for food jars. So I asked his opinion, and he said if he was looking for a new job he would certainly cut and shave to look more presentable.

As for my opinion I would not discriminate against personal style. If I felt like you were a decent fit for the company I would just make a point to tell you to keep your hair contained for health and safety reasons. But that is just my opinion. I don't play the robotic interview games, I go in with my humanly flaws, act as myself and never sugar coat my answers to please the company. I would rather work for less with a boss that has compassion than work for more with a boss in need of a "machine".

Todd
September 21st, 2017, 02:47 PM
To me, ponytails seem like a lazy way to just get your hair out of the way. Id like to see something neater for a job interview.
We have a young man who works at a food counter with waist length hair.

There is, or there was, a guy working in a restaurant near me with a waist-length blond ponytail. A little shorter than mine. I was always surprised to see it not secured up and away from the food! Last time I saw him it looked like he'd doubled it up and under his hat. But I haven't seen him lately so maybe he's gone.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 21st, 2017, 03:04 PM
Not sure what part of the world you're in, but I currently work for IKEA and if you have one in your area, it would be a great place to work.
If they have any merchandising positions available, like positions in recovery, logistics, returns or even overnight if that works for you, you would be fine.
Maybe even a more sales oriented job, if you wanted. But the company is very big on diversity, great hours and great pay. Oh and full benefits.

iforgotmylogin
September 21st, 2017, 04:42 PM
This is all good stuff, thanks kindly everyone.

For the record, I have no tattoos or piercings (not a fan of how they look nor making permanent body decisions), nor facial hair and I always tie my hair back in any situation where I may have to lean forward. It's a rare event that it's cold enough or I'm inactive enough to wear it out. I live in a warm climate and usually rock the only bun I know how to do* about the middle, perhaps a bit higher, of the back of my head. I have no idea if the bun looks neat (might self time a photo to see) as originally the idea was just to keep hair off my neck and ears.

Not a big fan of the 'easy' ponytail where the hair is parted and tied at the nape as it doesn't contain frizz too well (as opposed to a pony where all the hair is running directly backward). Being that most of my grays and whites are on the sides and around the face the 'easy' ponytail makes me look like Mr Fantastic (dark almost everywhere and white around the temples). Tying it directly back makes most of my head look silver (as the grays lay over the dark browns).

I air-dry my hair which means I have to shower the night before an early start due to how damn long it takes to dry :E

* The only bun I know is to do a pony but the last 'fold' of the hair tie I only pull a small loop through, then wrap thee majority of the pony around it in a circle, then tuck the end back under the hair tie

browneyedsusan
September 21st, 2017, 05:27 PM
Learn a disc bun or nautlius. They're easy to learn, look nice and hold well. You could also splash out 6$ for some double pointed knitting needles -- they come in sets of 5, and are usually 7" long -- and bend them around a doorknob or cupboard knob to make an inexpensive, simple hair fork. (I have some silver ones, and think they'd be fine for a man.) My hair is slippy, so if I want it to stay up all day, I anchor the bun with a ponytail first.

Allow me to show you:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4379/36523582884_33bd975a65_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XDsUJh)2017-09-21_07-17-11 (https://flic.kr/p/XDsUJh) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr
cheap and dirty hair fork

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/36523597484_91c445160a_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XDsZ51)2017-09-21_07-18-09 (https://flic.kr/p/XDsZ51) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr
A nautilus held up with the fork. :)
(Pardon the sweat ring on my back. Just got back from fitness class, and was checking the computer while I drink up my whey shake.)

FWIW: I really like double pointed knitting needles for my hair. They're super light, smooth, and water proof: great for fitness class, the shower, or swimming pool. . :)

Cherriezzzzz
September 21st, 2017, 06:39 PM
Learn a disc bun or nautlius. They're easy to learn, look nice and hold well. You could also splash out 6$ for some double pointed knitting needles -- they come in sets of 5, and are usually 7" long -- and bend them around a doorknob or cupboard knob to make an inexpensive, simple hair fork. (I have some silver ones, and think they'd be fine for a man.) My hair is slippy, so if I want it to stay up all day, I anchor the bun with a ponytail first.

Allow me to show you:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4379/36523582884_33bd975a65_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XDsUJh)2017-09-21_07-17-11 (https://flic.kr/p/XDsUJh) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr
cheap and dirty hair fork

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4342/36523597484_91c445160a_n.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/XDsZ51)2017-09-21_07-18-09 (https://flic.kr/p/XDsZ51) by Mom and wife (https://www.flickr.com/photos/62007100@N08/), on Flickr
A nautilus held up with the fork. :)
(Pardon the sweat ring on my back. Just got back from fitness class, and was checking the computer while I drink up my whey shake.)

FWIW: I really like double pointed knitting needles for my hair. They're super light, smooth, and water proof: great for fitness class, the shower, or swimming pool. . :)

That is a cool looking bun! I'd respect that on a guy!

:thumbsup:

Redderly
September 21st, 2017, 07:13 PM
A neat ponytail goes a long way and "man buns are quite in style right now. I think it's really cool when guys rock long Hair!

JadedByEntropy
September 21st, 2017, 08:36 PM
sleek clean bun agreed, but without being greased into place as i've seen on the older men who try this. Just put it up before you get there so its a fresh smooth bun and not falling down yet. light hairspray may be good. as long as it fits your style and look, the look itself shouldn't be taken as unprofessional by many these days.

I'm out working with drill crews and such, and wear a low braid that i could drop down the back of my shirt if someone new showed up on the location. I try not to look too much like a girl being out there, but haven't had any issues so far.

akurah
September 21st, 2017, 11:32 PM
This is all good stuff, thanks kindly everyone.

For the record, I have no tattoos or piercings (not a fan of how they look nor making permanent body decisions), nor facial hair and I always tie my hair back in any situation where I may have to lean forward. It's a rare event that it's cold enough or I'm inactive enough to wear it out. I live in a warm climate and usually rock the only bun I know how to do* about the middle, perhaps a bit higher, of the back of my head. I have no idea if the bun looks neat (might self time a photo to see) as originally the idea was just to keep hair off my neck and ears.

I never thought you had tattoos or piercings. The reason why I suggested you to look for them on the employees of a firm you might be considering as an employer is because if they permit tattoos and piercings to be visible, unless there's a legitimate safety hazard, they'll permit long hair.

cjk
September 22nd, 2017, 11:52 AM
If you stop thinking of it as an issue of length, and consider it an issue of grooming, it will make more sense.

Long hair can be very professional, very flattering and very becoming. Conversely, so can a shaved head!

I deal with this due to my beard. I keep my beard well groomed, but by most standards it would be considered quite large. I participate in the over-8" category at most competitions.

But the point is that I don't look homeless. I comb it. Oil it. Style it. Groom it. Maintain it.

Long hair should be no different.

lapushka
September 22nd, 2017, 04:17 PM
But the point is that I don't look homeless. I comb it. Oil it. Style it. Groom it. Maintain it.

Good point! :thumbsup:

Robot Ninja
September 22nd, 2017, 05:06 PM
If you stop thinking of it as an issue of length, and consider it an issue of grooming, it will make more sense.

Long hair can be very professional, very flattering and very becoming. Conversely, so can a shaved head!

I deal with this due to my beard. I keep my beard well groomed, but by most standards it would be considered quite large. I participate in the over-8" category at most competitions.

Long hair should be no different, but some people still think long hair is for girls and men shouldn't have it.

What it comes down to is, do you want to work for someone who clings to old-fashioned and sexist notions of who should and shouldn't have long hair? And if you don't, do you need the job badly enough to suck it up and get a haircut in order to conform to someone's old-fashioned and sexist notions of who should and shouldn't have long hair? Akurah has a good point about tattoos and piercings, although a more professional, office-type environment might not permit those and still permit men to have well-groomed long hair.

The Maple Leaf
September 22nd, 2017, 05:12 PM
Long hair should be no different, but some people still think long hair is for girls and men shouldn't have it.

What it comes down to is, do you want to work for someone who clings to old-fashioned and sexist notions of who should and shouldn't have long hair? And if you don't, do you need the job badly enough to suck it up and get a haircut in order to conform to someone's old-fashioned and sexist notions of who should and shouldn't have long hair? Akurah has a good point about tattoos and piercings, although a more professional, office-type environment might not permit those and still permit men to have well-groomed long hair.

I wouldn't want to work for someone who would not hire me for having long hair. I encourage you to look for work with your long hair. Keep it well groomed and look for an employer who will not subscribe to this kind of prejudice.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2017, 12:56 PM
My son went to work for a restaurant when he had long hair (APL-BSL length). They offered him the job on condition that he get his hair cut. He needed the job so he did. Then he noticed that there were women who wore ponytails or braids; it was unfair they didn't offer him the same options.

meteor
September 23rd, 2017, 01:41 PM
Like others said, I don't see it as a problem at all. :) I'd just make sure it's well groomed and contained in some conservative style (ponytails, buns) for interviews, to be on the safe side.
Metal U-pins/Amish pins/bent knitting needles can work great for invisible hold in buns, for example.

My son went to work for a restaurant when he had long hair (APL-BSL length). They offered him the job on condition that he get his hair cut. He needed the job so he did. Then he noticed that there were women who wore ponytails or braids; it was unfair they didn't offer him the same options.

Oh no! :no: That's pretty bad that they didn't just request to contain/cover it, if necessary. Sounds kind of discriminatory in that context, to be perfectly honest... Over here we have such a large Sikh population, for example, that I can't even imagine businesses trying to pull off explicit rules like that about hair length anymore, even when you need to wear helmets...

iforgotmylogin
November 4th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Only just getting back here now. Thanks everyone

I didn't mean to contradict anyone when I mentioned my lack of body mods, I was only stating for the record that I don't in order to paint a picture of my appearance, in particular that the only thing differentiating me from the next guy is that I have long hair.

marvel-lover
November 4th, 2017, 07:18 PM
I would not. If it looks well cared for, then it doesn't matter to me at all. And to clarify, I am well aware that some people may care for their hair very well and that it still looks messy (I am one of those). I would care more that you take pride in your appearance, over what your appearance is (if that makes sense). Keep facial hair groomed, keep long hair clean and cared for, dress like you respect the job and yourself. I don't tend to go by appearance though, I genuinely think that what's inside matters the most.

ReadingRenee
November 4th, 2017, 07:31 PM
I really think it depends on your location as well. For example, here in the bible belt in the south in a relatively small town that is VERY conservative, my long hair loving husband always has to cut his hair for job searches. In fact he just did it. :( Maybe its just the way he looks with long hair. I don't know. Here the attitude towards men with long hair is that they are irresponsible and lazy or old hippies depending on age. I notice a difference in the way my husband is treated when he has long hair vs short hair. It's not fair but it seems to be the way it is here. I think in more urban areas it's probably much different and long hair on men has a much greater acceptance and has broken out of that damaging and inaccurate stereotype.

Kikyou
November 6th, 2017, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't mind at all. What does matter, is whether it's clean, combed and contained. Also, when the rest of your look is groomed (clipped nails, face either shaved or properly groomed facial hair, tidy outfit) then the long hair looks like a style you've chosen. When your hair looks matted and oily, your beard like you haven't done anything to it in months and the collar of your shirt is yellow, then the hair looks like you're too lazy to cut it. So whether it looks professional or dirty, depends on the rest. Although, just like others said, a lot depends on particular field, particular company and area.

Dems
November 6th, 2017, 04:10 PM
I would not mind in the slightest! I do live in an extremely 'hippy' area and most of my male friends have beards and long hair and such. Most of my partners have had long hair and that has never stopped them in the employment department. In fact I would be sad on your behalf if you did have to cut it. It's your hair and you deserve to have it however you like :D