PDA

View Full Version : Sudden increased breakage and dryness

Synester
September 18th, 2017, 01:35 PM
So about 2 weeks ago my hair, pretty suddenly became very dry...brittle..Velcro like tangles. with increased breakage..But I have not changed anything in my hair routine? Same shampoo and conditioner. I extend washes for about 3 days. And I always brush from the bottom up. I have waist length hair and its becoming so unmanageable I just want to chop it all off.
Anything I can do for myself?? Any treatments to fix this mess. So close to just shopping my whole rough dry pony tail off :[ Really dont want that though lol.
any dryness and Velcro like tangle relief tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jo Ann
September 18th, 2017, 01:48 PM
If nothing has changed in your routine, you might need to remove build-up by clarifying. Try that the next time you wash your hair and see if it bounces back to normal.

Aredhel
September 18th, 2017, 02:30 PM
I don't know what the weather and air are like in FL and what your hair responds negatively to, but I live in Canada and since summer has ended, the humidity (which my hair loves) has lifted and a few weeks ago my hair was getting really dry and brittle...since the air had become dryer. I've since added moisture-laden products to my routine, I no longer have this issue. Look into environmental changes IMO. :)

Corvana
September 18th, 2017, 02:34 PM
I'd do what both Aredhel and Jo Ann suggest tbh! First clarify, as you may as well start with the cleanest canvas you can. Then maybe a deep condition would be in order!

spidermom
September 18th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Build up can definitely make your hair dry and brittle, so I agree to a clarifying wash. Use a shampoo that says clarifying right on the label.

Synester
September 18th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Its currently very hot humid and rainy here in florida. like 80-high 90 degrees. Im not outside much though. Not a fan of the sun and heat. And I've added a moisture mask into my routine, to not much great results.

Synester
September 18th, 2017, 03:28 PM
Def gonna go buy a clarifying shampoo then. Because it is SO dry and breaking so much, ive never seen it like this before.

Dendra
September 18th, 2017, 03:44 PM
I hope you get good results from a clarifying shampoo, Synester. My ends get out of control dry and tangled if I skip my leave in conditioner, but if you aren't seeing improvement from adding lots of moisture then how about trying a protein mask? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to make the problem worse!

lapushka
September 18th, 2017, 03:57 PM
So about 2 weeks ago my hair, pretty suddenly became very dry...brittle..Velcro like tangles. with increased breakage..But I have not changed anything in my hair routine? Same shampoo and conditioner. I extend washes for about 3 days. And I always brush from the bottom up. I have waist length hair and its becoming so unmanageable I just want to chop it all off.
Anything I can do for myself?? Any treatments to fix this mess. So close to just shopping my whole rough dry pony tail off :[ Really dont want that though lol.
any dryness and Velcro like tangle relief tips would be greatly appreciated.

Do you do anything else damaging to your hair? Keratin treatment? Perm? Relaxer? Heat?

When's the last time you clarify-washed?

Cherriezzzzz
September 18th, 2017, 06:41 PM
Add or lost anything in your lifestyle? Birth control, a pregnancy, give birth, menopause? All those things effect hair! (Hormones!) Vitamins, supplements... medications!

Anje
September 18th, 2017, 07:33 PM
What about oiling? Sometimes it can be beneficial, other times it can make hair brittle.

spidermom
September 18th, 2017, 09:39 PM
did you move?

Synester
September 19th, 2017, 12:21 PM
haven't clarified in a good while, so I could use it. and I minimal heat style with a blowdryer for a short period of time durring my hair styling. My setting isnt even that hot. I make sure to keep it several inches away from my head as well. And no chemical treatments for me.

Synester
September 19th, 2017, 12:22 PM
nah lived in florida for 23 years. My hair definitely knows this weather.

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 01:37 PM
I found a good oil soak throughout the day with clay shampoo very helpful! Ends were super nice like a brand new broom instead of an old corn broom! :D

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 19th, 2017, 03:33 PM
When the weather is dry and hot, I leave it in some salve or leave in every day all day. Sure, cant do cute loose hair styles, cant leave it down.
Yes it needs to be up or braided and put away while its left this way but this is how I keep the dry hot air from hurting my hair.
Plus when its left in an up do or braided every day for 3-4 months til the weather eventually cools down, you end up retaining a lot more growth.
I live in california right now, and it hits 110 degrees outside sometimes during the summer. Fall has finally hit and then winter will come.
But it is always dry, summer and winter are the driest. I cant wait til I move to portland and have softer water and cooler weather.

lapushka
September 19th, 2017, 04:26 PM
haven't clarified in a good while, so I could use it. and I minimal heat style with a blowdryer for a short period of time durring my hair styling. My setting isnt even that hot. I make sure to keep it several inches away from my head as well. And no chemical treatments for me.

A good way to gauge the temperature of your dryer is OK, is to use it on your skin. If you can hold your hand (or a more sensitive part of your skin) in the airstream for a long time (some dryers heat up) without it burning, then it's OK for the hair as well. If it burns, it's too hot.

Cherriezzzzz
September 20th, 2017, 04:03 PM
A good way to gauge the temperature of your dryer is OK, is to use it on your skin. If you can hold your hand (or a more sensitive part of your skin) in the airstream for a long time (some dryers heat up) without it burning, then it's OK for the hair as well. If it burns, it's too hot.

OOOH I wish I had known this when I used to blow dry... highest hottest harder force was my setting... :doh:

Synester
September 22nd, 2017, 04:32 PM
So Today my hair was just a mess. It looks like a dry nasty broom at the bottom. Judging by the photo from where I have grabbed and down, should I just chop it all off? (it pains me to do so) but maybe its for the greater good
https://s26.postimg.org/fym8yzto5/21935269_10209364147531920_617374737_n.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/fym8yzto5/)

Corvana
September 22nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
So Today my hair was just a mess. It looks like a dry nasty broom at the bottom. Judging by the photo from where I have grabbed and down, should I just chop it all off? (it pains me to do so) but maybe its for the greater good
https://s26.postimg.org/fym8yzto5/21935269_10209364147531920_617374737_n.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/fym8yzto5/)

Is this after clarifying and trying a deep condition?

meteor
September 22nd, 2017, 04:50 PM

You could just try oiling those ends more or moisturizing them more with a mini-LOC-like routine for a while. It's also possible that those ends need more hydrolyzed proteins, if this situation is due to any past damage.
I'd definitely try at least clarifying and moisturizing for a while before deciding on a trim.

Synester
September 22nd, 2017, 04:53 PM
Yes I clarified with little improvement, but some..My hair does feel slightly better. But my ends, are just atrocious. They have never been this bad and dry and breaking before. And this is the longest my hair has ever been and i wish to keep it that way :'[ The only oil i currently have is olive oil. im sure it would help. maybe ill do that. ( i JUST) wash my hair today though lol ugh.

Aredhel
September 22nd, 2017, 05:07 PM
My ends used to look very similar to yours when I had no routine aside from the typical shampoo+condition. I'd really recommend a moisturizing leave-in too. :) My ends have been awesome since I implemented my current LOC routine (although it's still very easy for me to accidentally apply too much product).

Do you shampoo your entire length btw? Not sure if you've mentioned that already or if I missed it!

Synester
September 22nd, 2017, 08:25 PM
Normally I only shampoo my scalp unless I am clarifying then I do my whole head to remove any possible build up on my ends, where most build up could be. Whats a good LOC that you reccomend? I used to use a paul mitchell leave in conditioner, it was nice but not that nice.

Aredhel
September 23rd, 2017, 12:05 PM
Normally I only shampoo my scalp unless I am clarifying then I do my whole head to remove any possible build up on my ends, where most build up could be. Whats a good LOC that you reccomend? I used to use a paul mitchell leave in conditioner, it was nice but not that nice.

Have you tried/are you currently using the CWC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53421)? Wherein you condition your length first, then shampoo your scalp (while the conditioner is still in your length to protect your ends from the shampoo), then condition again?

I'm currently using http://andalou.com/argan-oil-shea-moisture-rich-leave-in-conditioner on my damp hair, followed by https://www.etsy.com/listing/102816401/panaceas-hair-salve-leave-in-conditioner. The Andalou leave-in is new, but so far I'm really enjoying it. I like that it's not too heavy/greasy for my fine hair.

spidermom
September 23rd, 2017, 12:45 PM
Actually CWC can create a problem. Speaking of shampoo and conditioner, one of them has a positive charge and the other a negative charge. When they're on your hair together, the ions tend to stick together and can lead to Velcro-like ends. It happened to me, but as in most things, ymmv.

lapushka
September 23rd, 2017, 03:01 PM
OOOH I wish I had known this when I used to blow dry... highest hottest harder force was my setting... :doh:

It's OK, you can still change your ways. ;) I use my dryer on the second setting (the first is too cool for me these days (but not in spring/summer)) and that is just below the burning point. I can't use the hottest setting or my hair *will* frizz up. If you dry wavy hair too fast it is going to frizz!

Aredhel
September 23rd, 2017, 03:07 PM
Actually CWC can create a problem. Speaking of shampoo and conditioner, one of them has a positive charge and the other a negative charge. When they're on your hair together, the ions tend to stick together and can lead to Velcro-like ends. It happened to me, but as in most things, ymmv.

CWC was the main change I made that helped with my perpetually dry ends, which is why I suggested it. :) You're right though, it's a method that definitely doesn't work for everyone.