PDA

View Full Version : Just when you thought you'd figured it out: textural hormonal changes

pili
September 18th, 2017, 08:18 AM
So, I'm 42 and I've been going through obvious hormonal fluctuations over the past few years. My 12yo DD has too. Both of us are experiencing textural changes from this. Her's is starting to spiral. Mine is going from curly to straight to curly.

Here is an example:
http://i.imgur.com/tktVOR9.jpg
It's not the only piece of hair like that, that's just the easiest one to photograph.

I'm curious as to how common these changes are?
Does the hair eventually settle down?
Share with me if you are going through this.

It took me decades to learn how to handle my curls. Am I going to have to relearn my hair now?

Aredhel
September 18th, 2017, 08:31 AM
I won't be much help, but my sister used to have 1a/M hair when she was a child, but right before puberty hit, her hair morphed into a 2a/C situation. She's been fighting it for the past 20 years now as well.

diddiedaisy
September 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I went from 1b to 2a after my last child 13 years ago. I only noticed when I joined here though, as I kept it at shoulder/cbl. I just wondered why it had started frizzing haha. I'm now 47 so no doubt hormonal changes will be round the corner for me too. Hopefully taking me back to 1b which is easy to manage. (Wishful thinking on my part, it'll probably stay a scraggly 2a).

I think you'll just have to wait it out to see where it ends up, but it does seem quite common for hair to go curlier. It will probably settle down when your hormones do. :)

wo
September 18th, 2017, 08:43 AM
I have the same thing going on! In my case, from having three pregnancies in 2.5 years. I have curls like that, with obvious stages of straight then curly growth, and I have random straight pieces mixed in the with spirals, like in this pic. Overall, my hair is much less curly since having kids.
http://i.imgur.com/V1IBDgy.jpg

lapushka
September 18th, 2017, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's part of the curl pattern? I guess not if you guys are addressing the issue. I have a pretty consistent pattern throughout, and then there it is, those few odd 3a pieces. And I can't grasp them because it seems they pop up whenever wherever. And sometimes they don't. I think when I heavily style they are more apparent, but when I don't they are less there.

pili
September 18th, 2017, 09:21 AM
WO, yeah, I did experience straight growth during my two pregnancies, but that was before my pixie below. Back then all my hair grew out straighter. This time it's more random. My hair also had more 3a/b curls before I had kids. Now it leans a bit more towards 2c overall. My daughter is morphing from 1c/2a to a 2c pattern. From the roots there are five inches of M/C waves and spirals and then her old texture F hair to the ends. This is all over too. When she was a baby until about three years of age she had Shirley Temple curls. At three all the curls fell out.

school of fish
September 18th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Oh yes, I'm going through it too. I'm tranforming from 1a/b to 2a/b, have been doing so since my second full-term pregnancy 3+ years ago. I'm also probably perimenopausal so I've had a nice little hormonal cocktail going on the last little while ;)

The very top of my canopy remains fairly straight but everything underneath that is tenaciously braid-wavesque. Since it's still growing in, I have my original pin-straight ends from about MBL to TBL, and this new S-wave pattern from MBL up to the roots.

The old ends combined with the straighter canopy make me *look* like I still have straight hair, especially from the front - but from the back I'm really really wavy. I'm not able to coax out a good-looking wave pattern around my face yet by changing my habits - we'll see in a few more years if I'm able to shift to enhance the wave... but right now I need to stick to a 'straighter hair' routine for it to look good.

I am noticing I'm tangling differently. I think the different textures fight each other a little - it's not been too bad though. I do look a little more frizzy, but I don't mind that - it actually gives me a little root volume that I never had before ;)

Silverbleed
September 18th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Back when I was 12, my hair was much more straight. Like, way more. And I always let it air dry so I am sure it's not because of combing or the hair dryer. Last year my hair was pretty wurly. But it appears to be changing to straight again. I hope not too much, I like how it is. But the top of my head is a bit different lately. I wonder if it'll change again as I age.

Also it may be seasonal or maybe depending on where you live? My hair changes drastically in a different area.