PDA

View Full Version : Barrettes for men?

cjk
September 17th, 2017, 03:51 PM
I'm using these clips to help train my hair while drying, and happened upon this vee-shape this morning. It actually looked pretty decent. Makes a nice delineation between the straighter hair on top and the curls below. ..what will eventually become a pony tail.

https://i.imgur.com/qnpEHbp.jpg

I've never had enough hair to consider hair toys. CAN men wear barrettes successfully? I'm thinking two, or a double row so four, in this configuration might look decent and help get my hair through this awkward stage.

But since I don't know the rules for men's hair accessories, I don't know how to effectively break the rules.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Beckstar
September 17th, 2017, 04:02 PM
There are no rules. Barrettes, flex-8s, hair sticks, or whatever you like the looks of.... It's up to you.

Aredhel
September 17th, 2017, 04:06 PM
Beckstar is right! There are several gentlefolk here with enviable Flexi and Ficcare collections. :D Hair accessories are genderless IMO, there are no rules! Just depends on what you're comfortable wearing.:) Perhaps if you're hesitant just opt for ones that are less bright and decorative at first... blacks, greys and darker colours and such.

lapushka
September 17th, 2017, 04:18 PM
Beckstar is right. There are no rules. Do whatever looks fine to you!

enting
September 17th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Absolutely men can wear barrettes. You may also wish to look into hair slides.
In general, fashion considers plainer things or heavier looking things to be more masculine, but really it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I bought a plain tortoiseshell barrette for DH when he was growing his hair out. He also used mini beak clips or small plain combs in a blendy color to hold back the sides. There are all sorts of options out there to choose from: plastics, metal, leather, wood. There are plain and unobtrusive barrettes, and there are statement barrettes that make it quite clear that this was intentional and something you're proud of. Have a look around the internet and see if anything strikes you as something you'd enjoy wearing. That's pretty much the only rule.

PixieP
September 17th, 2017, 05:18 PM
A chef that used to work with my husband used hair clips with big colorful flowers on them! You wear whatever you wish and feel comfortable with. I think it looks really great :D

A half-up is another great way of getting through the awkward stages :) You can cheat that with barettes too, by clipping only the top half of the hair and leaving the bottom loose. Your hair looks lovely, great volume and I think your texture will look amazing when it gets longer!

Angeni
September 17th, 2017, 05:32 PM
You can wear whatever you want! :D

If you're looking for more "masculine" hair toys then metals, black, grey, and woods would be the best bet. But there are no rules, if you wanna pull off some colorful accessories then go for it :o

Redderly
September 17th, 2017, 06:04 PM
Your hair looks great with those clips! There is no gender with hair accessories, but I agree with sticking to black and metal clips if you are concerned. You have very blond hair as well, so maybe find some that match your hair color as well?

reilly0167
September 17th, 2017, 06:05 PM
Did a basic shampoo and conditioner wash today, add my leave in and curl cream and its plopped for the night:)

So sorry posted on the wrong thread, carry on.

cjk
September 17th, 2017, 11:28 PM
But CAN is not always the same as SHOULD. And I suppose that is really my question.

David Beckham can wear an accordion comb hairband. That doesn't automatically mean that it is a good look on every guy.

Fashion is, first and foremost, about presenting ourselves well. Choosing things that are flattering. Things that make us look our best, emphasizing the traits we wish, and de accentuating those we do not.

I'll keep an eye open for something that I believe would be flattering.

cjk
September 17th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Might end up having to make it myself, actually. Got a few ideas already. I do enjoy the look of natural materials, both both wood and leather are great and I use deer antler for beard beads. Hammered copper is a beautiful color, too, and the mjolnir could be an appropriate shape from which to work.

Darn it. That's just what I need, another creative outlet! LOL!

Aredhel
September 18th, 2017, 03:50 AM
But CAN is not always the same as SHOULD. And I suppose that is really my question.

David Beckham can wear an accordion comb hairband. That doesn't automatically mean that it is a good look on every guy.

Fashion is, first and foremost, about presenting ourselves well. Choosing things that are flattering. Things that make us look our best, emphasizing the traits we wish, and de accentuating those we do not.

I'll keep an eye open for something that I believe would be flattering.

Considering we don't really know how you look - other than the back of your head - we can't really gauge what you would be flattering on you, that's something you'll have to be the judge of. Which is why I believe you should just wear what you are comfortable with wearing.

Good luck with your new projects! Hopefully we will get to see the hair toys that you make for yourself. :)

enting
September 18th, 2017, 06:28 AM
If you do make your own, there is a self-made hairtoys thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131), you can share your work there, too. A mjolnir barrette sounds like a great idea! We'd love to see what you come up with.

EdG
September 18th, 2017, 08:59 AM
It is unfortunate that men have been conditioned into thinking that they can't have long hair or use proper tools to manage long hair.

You need to overcome the brainwashing. Start by asking "Why does hair grow long?" This will cause all the lies to unravel.
Ed

Xavien_Grey
September 18th, 2017, 09:33 AM
It is unfortunate that men have been conditioned into thinking that they can't have long hair or use proper tools to manage long hair.

You need to overcome the brainwashing. Start by asking "Why does hair grow long?" This will cause all the lies to unravel.
Ed

This... Then the second question is about practicality, "What can i do with it now that it is long?" At that point all manner of braiding/stick/fork/barrette/and slide become options.
I go for light wood stick and forks for daily wear, formal occasions can be anything from a braided bun with pins, to a celtic hair slide in silver. It all depends... Think about Duncan McCloud from the Highlander TV series and then tribal cultures around the globe.

Alun
September 18th, 2017, 03:27 PM

Ed

Exactly.

Blah, blah, blah (message too short for forum)

cjk
September 18th, 2017, 06:36 PM
Considering we don't really know how you look - other than the back of your head - we can't really gauge what you would be flattering on you, that's something you'll have to be the judge of. Which is why I believe you should just wear what you are comfortable with wearing.

https://imgur.com/a/fdqgh

cjk
September 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM
This... Then the second question is about practicality, "What can i do with it now that it is long?" At that point all manner of braiding/stick/fork/barrette/and slide become options.

It's not long yet. Heading that direction though.

Long is comparatively easy, a leather stick barrette is definitely in my future. But for shorter, intermediate lengths, easily available options seem to trend more feminine.

Afanen
September 18th, 2017, 07:13 PM
Plain black claw clips could be an option, so could bobby pins if you want to hide them.
Dutch braided front sections tied off with a bead could look pretty neat, or just one dutch braided half up starting at the hairline.
Organic materials would probably work, barrettes and the like look a lot more masculine when there's a piece of bone, wood, or antler glued to the top lol. Celtic/Norse motifs on bar barrettes make them look more interesting and they aren't super feminine. (just search for celtic bar barrette on amazon and you'll see what I mean)

Aredhel
September 18th, 2017, 07:24 PM
https://imgur.com/a/fdqgh

I don't know if you've looked on Etsy for ideas yet, but I just did a search for leather and wood french barrettes, and I came across quite a few unfeminine ones that I think would really suit you.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=leather%20french%20barrette (leather)
https://www.etsy.com/ca/search?q=wood%20french%20barrette (wood)

cjk
September 23rd, 2017, 01:11 PM
I always forget about Etsy. Pinterest, yes, but never Etsy.

Thank you.

Aredhel
September 23rd, 2017, 03:11 PM
I always forget about Etsy. Pinterest, yes, but never Etsy.

Thank you.

You are most welcome! I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Kirbygrip15
October 17th, 2017, 09:27 AM
Your hair and clips look great. As your hair grows you can add more clips. When long enough for work and formal wear style it in a bun with a flexi-8. For casual wear ficcare or claw clips are super. Keep growing, it's all good fun.

Kikyou
October 17th, 2017, 10:27 AM
When it comes to masculiney looking hairclips, keywords like 'dwarf, lotr, hobbit, metal, pagan' might bring nice things of leather and metal with simple, yet impressive designs. Mostly on etsy :D