PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a hair care journal?

Snackpackdino
September 17th, 2017, 03:56 AM
I was wondering if you guys keep hair care journals? Do you do them by pen and paper or do you use some website? How often do you update and what sort of things do you write down? I think it could be really motivating to have a hair journal to see the growing process, and also useful to keep track on things that worked / didn't work.

If you have a journal on a public website, I'd love to check it out, so please do give a link :)

I just started one, it's on Tumblr. The link is : www.triceratopsytail.tumblr.com

Dendra
September 17th, 2017, 04:42 AM
I do! It's a pen and paper one. I love it because it means I can ramble on about hair stuff for ages and I don't have to bore anyone in real life :)

I write in it about once a week, or more often when I have a hair dilemma that needs to be hashed out. The type of things I write are: when I shampoo, especially with a new product, when I trim, how my problem scalp is doing, hair toy stuff, length and growing out dye progress and general thoughts about hair.

lapushka
September 17th, 2017, 04:49 AM
I was wondering if you guys keep hair care journals? Do you do them by pen and paper or do you use some website? How often do you update and what sort of things do you write down? I think it could be really motivating to have a hair journal to see the growing process, and also useful to keep track on things that worked / didn't work.

If you have a journal on a public website, I'd love to check it out, so please do give a link :)

I just started one, it's on Tumblr. The link is : www.triceratopsytail.tumblr.com

I do. I blog my weekly washes on here. If you get enough posts, you can do that too.

I mainly blog products used and techniques and methods. It stays roughly the same every week, but the products may change. I want to keep my progress and also the amount of hair I lose. A few years ago, there was a definite spring / fall shed thing going on. Nowadays, it changes week to week how much hair I lose.

Arctic
September 17th, 2017, 05:07 AM
After 25 quality posts you can see the blogs section of this site. I've been keeping a hair blog there for over 10 years and can warmly recommend it! :)

Snackpackdino
September 17th, 2017, 05:38 AM
Thank you guys :) ! I'm looking forward to see the blog section!

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what does a "quality post" mean? (Not a native English speaker so might miss things sometimes :D )

Arctic
September 17th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Thank you guys :) ! I'm looking forward to see the blog section!

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but what does a "quality post" mean? (Not a native English speaker so might miss things sometimes :D )

There are no stupid questions! It just means that the post needs to have a meaningful and valid content. For example posting just "Me too!" wouldn't be a quality post, but if you add an explanation - just few sentences that would give something - quality content - to the topic and discussions of the thread and/or to the person you are replying to, then it would be a quality post. I hope this helps!

NV
September 17th, 2017, 07:02 AM
I don't as the idea never occurred to me but it definitely sounds helpful! I might start one now hahaha

draysmir
September 17th, 2017, 07:30 AM
I have a pen and paper one as well, I only write in it once a month, maybe twice a month. I write down my hair measurements for that month, and just generally how my hair is looking/acting that month (ex. bangs now reach behind the ears, length is waist stretched, ends look thicker after the 1/2" trim, etc.). I don't really record the products I use or anything (yet anyway), I mostly just focus on recording the length and how it feels at that length.

I started mine in February, and I have definitely found it helpful so far! When I feel like my hair isn't making much progress, I like to check my hair journal. I've gained about 3 inches (with trims) since I started my journal, I definitely find it motivating :)

Aredhel
September 17th, 2017, 07:59 AM
I started to keep one on here too. :) I get too lazy and procrastinate too much to write one with pen and paper, and I figured that since I already am on here all the time, I may as well keep all of my hair-related things all in one place! :) I love that there is a blog feature available on LHC, very handy.:agree:

kwaarrk
September 17th, 2017, 08:08 AM
This seems like a good idea, especially when experimenting with anything but even just in general you can notice seasonal patterns and whatnot. I think I will start one when I can.

Wavybrunetteuk
September 17th, 2017, 09:00 AM
:O I don't have a journal per say, but I do have a little notebook where I note down my measurements every month, estimated time to hair goal, the products I use.

The tape measure I use doesn't include English inches, it uses a different kind of measurement used in China, so I need to do a little multiplication to get the approximate English inches.

So every month I want to use it to track my progress and hopefully next year track how much I trim every month.

diddiedaisy
September 17th, 2017, 10:57 AM
I use the note section on my iPhone to record length, trims, hair circumference and hair dye. I don't keep notes on products or anything like that. :)

Mrstran
September 17th, 2017, 11:46 AM
I did, but then accidentally deleted it all. shudder: I'm starting a new year anyway, so I'm pretty much over it.

Garnetgem
September 17th, 2017, 11:54 AM
I do i use a note pad and pen..i write any changes to my hair and how it turns out with certain shampoos or conditioners,very usefull as if you have a shedding then look back at the journal and you can usually pin point the trigger so therefore avoiding it happening again,

i have been keeping a hair care journal for around 18 months now and add weekly to it...

Redderly
September 17th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Oh man I am excited to be able to eventually see the blog posts.

pandabarrier
September 17th, 2017, 06:42 PM
There is this older thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=141563) about hair diary.
I still write on my hair diary/journal, taking notes of the washes, the scalp washes, if my hair feels dry, etc.

Cherriezzzzz
September 17th, 2017, 07:16 PM
I wish I would... But truth be told I wont Keep it up. I just remember my favorite chagrin valley shampoo bar ;)

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 17th, 2017, 08:45 PM
eh no, nooo not really, i consider the posting i do here to be as much "logging" in as i need to do.
im like the least obsessive over my hair here lol

mxtt10589
September 17th, 2017, 09:14 PM
I'll maybe check out the blog section once I get enough quality posts, getting there slowly

Sarahlabyrinth
September 17th, 2017, 10:02 PM
I sort of do, I have a little notebook where I write down my length each month, also various recipes for hair treatments.
I also have a little area in the notebook where I write down any particularly nice hair compliments, so that when I am feeling down about my hair I can read them and not feel so bad.

I also drew up a graph showing my hair growth but stopped doing that when I reached Classic.

Natashap
September 18th, 2017, 01:00 AM
No,this place is like my hair journal.

Wavybrunetteuk
September 18th, 2017, 01:19 AM
I sort of do, I have a little notebook where I write down my length each month, also various recipes for hair treatments.
I also have a little area in the notebook where I write down any particularly nice hair compliments, so that when I am feeling down about my hair I can read them and not feel so bad.

I also drew up a graph showing my hair growth but stopped doing that when I reached Classic.

A space for hair compliments is a really good idea!

Snackpackdino
September 19th, 2017, 06:16 AM
Thanks for your replies :) !

Btw there are also selfie apps that let you take a pic every day for as long as you want, then you can make a video.
I think I'll start recording my hair growing video now as my hair is still relatively short :D ! Has any of your tried that?

TatsuOni
September 19th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Pen and paper. I write when and how I wash my hair and what I use in my homemade deep conditioner. I also write when I use henna and indigo and when I trim it and how much. I've also just started a hair growth chart.

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 10:03 AM
I have a few blog posts here but that's about it. I try not to overthink about my hair too much but the highlights get recorded! :)

ShahMat
September 20th, 2017, 01:40 AM
I do have a hair journal, old style pen and paper kind.
Actually it's not just a hair journal since all kinds of random stuff end up in there (appointments, quotes, to-do lists...), but I always take note of the days when I shampoo, I write down the products I have used so that I can easily remember what worked best for what issue, I update hair lenght every month and I put colored checks everyday when I take supplements (for example, multi-vitamins is blue and MSM is violet, and it's actually the only way I can keep consistent with taking them, alarms on my phone don't work as well because I keep postponing eternally until I get bored and turn the thing off and forget about it xD)

WillOTree
September 22nd, 2017, 08:19 AM
No but I should. Whenever I get the itch to do something with my hair it would be helpful to flip back through and see what hasn't worked and what has, why I don't like certain haircuts or why I do.

mira-chan
September 26th, 2017, 09:39 AM
I used to do that a lot more. I had one in the archive and a blog here. I haven't been updating it much because I haven't done many new things in a while.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 26th, 2017, 02:54 PM
Thanks for your replies :) !

Btw there are also selfie apps that let you take a pic every day for as long as you want, then you can make a video.
I think I'll start recording my hair growing video now as my hair is still relatively short :D ! Has any of your tried that?

Selfie apps? What are these, and can they be used on a laptop? Tell me more!

MidnightMoon
September 26th, 2017, 08:49 PM
I don't :p
The ideas here seem interesting but I'm too lazy for that/not motivated enough. Progress pics would have been nice to have, though. Properly taken, that is.

Shanawavy
September 27th, 2017, 04:37 AM
I've kept a hair journal since January this year. Glad I'm not the only one! It's a small 'week to two pages' Letts diary :) I jot down which products I've used on my hair, how I've dried it, and what I've brushed/combed it with, and any issues e.g. hair fall, psoriasis flare up.

There's a space for notes on each page where I note down plans for the following week, e.g, to do an SMT.

Filling in the journal is a pain at times but it has definitely helped me to get my hair from chin to shoulder length while avoiding anything too damaging for my hair. I've even had random compliments on my hair this year from some family and friends. Previously I only used to get compliments straight after I'd been to the hairdressers!

leayellena
September 27th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Not really a journal, but I try to keep track of my hair journey on http://leayellena.blogspot.de

Snackpackdino
September 27th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Selfie apps? What are these, and can they be used on a laptop? Tell me more!
I'm not sure if there's one for PC. The one I use is called "everyday" and it's for a smartphone or a tablet. I think you'll find them by searching for "daily selfie video app" and the device you want to use. :)

Ravenne
October 2nd, 2018, 02:00 PM
I recently decided to start keeping track of my hair health. I haven’t ever really felt the desire until now. I found the Hair Journal and I mostly like it except the length goal options stop at waist! And there’s no option for custom. So I just decided to get a free no-theme journaling app, settled on Day One (mostly because it’s free and had good reviews) and so far I like it a lot!

Doing it on my phone works for me. I’m more likely to type outa little something on my phone than get out a notebook that I may or may not have with me. Lol.

And this app is set up so that I don’t feel like I have to put a paragraph for an entry. It can just be a word or two if that’s all that applies, or I can add details if I want to. I plan on putting down basically anything that occurs to me. If I decide to oil my ends one day, if I realize my roots got greasy faster than normal or if I shed a lot one morning. And a photo can be attached to an entry too, which is nice for visually tracking length. And I like being able to search by keyword. So I can see seasonal trends or the like. Technology rocks. :lol:

MusicalSpoons
October 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM
I recently started to post in a blog here, as I was kind of experimenting with co-washing and using miracle water ... but I'm useless at keeping up with this kind of thing (I had to resort to an app for keeping a symptom diary, and even then I find it takes more energy than I have, sometimes - and that's something that is more important to me than a hair journal). I might just put in random updates as and when I feel like it, tbh.

I have to say, the 'blog this post' feature on here is an awesome idea, especially when you've typed out a long response in a thread and it's a post that's either side kind of milestone, or realisation, or just your general routine at that point. Handy to be able to put all of that in one place to easily find again.

lakhesis
October 4th, 2018, 06:20 AM
I use Notes on my iPhone to track my length, what I am using and when :)

Ylva
December 15th, 2018, 05:28 PM
I started logging my haircare and washes in the beginning of this month here in my LHC blog.

almostghost
December 19th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I started trying to keep one in a word document around the end of last month to keep track of washes and henna glosses and so forth, but I keep forgetting about it :p

blackgothicdoll
December 19th, 2018, 09:49 AM
I've started keeping one, I use google docs though word would be just as easy. I've only been keeping it since September, but it helps since I'm so forgotful and tend to go back to the same bad practices.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I started logging my haircare and washes in the beginning of this month here in my LHC blog.

I've been doing this weekly, my method, the products I've used, how much hair I've lost. It's a "log" more like a journal for me.

Begemot
December 19th, 2018, 11:02 AM
I do now lol. I thought I need a place where I can log some stuff and maybe see if some changes make a difference in my hair/scalp. So I'll blog here on TLHC.

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I've always documented my haircuts, style changes, barber choices, and so forth. Done it for years.

But I've never documented my hair care routines.

Interesting idea, particularly now that it's starting to get long.

Arciela
December 19th, 2018, 03:30 PM
I keep one as well :) I just use Microsoft word for mine because its mostly a log for me to see what works best for me and how many products I've used , what didn't work, etc :flower:

Nineteenbirds
December 20th, 2018, 08:34 AM
I've been using shampoo bars since last spring, and I started keeping a journal (on paper, with a pencil) so I could keep track of what kinds of bars I've tried, what I've been using for a rinse, how often I'm washing it, etc. It's turned into a science experiment! I used the same brand of liquid shampoo and conditioner for years before I started this, but I'm having so much more fun with it now.

sillyme
December 20th, 2018, 05:21 PM
I started jotting down notes with a pen in a notebook three years ago and just kept it up. It has become so handy to me. Because of the journal, I figured out what washing styles my hair doesn't like (CO, reverse-shampooing, shampoo-only, etc.), and what it does like (plain old shampoo followed by just a touch of rinse-out cond).

I've kept track of the hair products I've bought and how they affected my hair. Because of this, I don't buy products again that my hair didn't like in the past. This has also served to help me find my HG hair products. They are the ones I kept coming back to over and over after having bad luck with others. (my HG's are: Suave Essentials Juicy Green Apple shampoo and conditioner; Herbal Essences Volume brand of mousse and hairspray.)

I also keep track of any haircuts or trims. And included in my journal are my journeys of growing out pixies and layers. And now, when I start thinking of getting layers or a short cut again, I first read what I went through growing those out before. It usually convinces me to back away from the cut, or at least it makes me think about it more before moving forward. :)