PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hair Care

MamaSwanky
September 15th, 2017, 07:23 PM
Winter has come early to my area this year. How does your routine change in winter? What are your best winter hair care tips?

Dark40
September 15th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Make sure you do a deep moisturizing conditioner once or twice a week. Because, with my hair the winter air dries my hair out. I would just keep it moisturized with conditioners and oils. My routine doesn't change in the winter. It stays the same all year round.

Aredhel
September 15th, 2017, 07:37 PM
I add a hydrating leave-in to my routine (I've already began doing this this year!). I don't need it in the summer because my hair is a huge fan of the humidity, but without it in the winter, my hair gets brittle and staticky.

Deborah
September 15th, 2017, 09:08 PM
I treat my hair the same all year long.

school of fish
September 15th, 2017, 10:02 PM
Where I live we get 4 very distinct seasons (with baking hot summers and punishingly cold winters) and my routine stays the same throughout :)

The only adjustment I make is during the coldest, dryest months in winter when the central heating is on around the clock and the air outside is so dry it crackles - I add a very light oil rinse step in between my shampoo & conditioner. That's it, no other changes. The oil rinse is just enough to mitigate the static and brittleness that comes with the ultra dry winter reality here.

ShahMat
September 15th, 2017, 11:09 PM
This will be my first winter as an aware longhair (I had long hair before, but mistreated it all the time with dye and heat), and I think I'll just keep going with my usual routine: weekly washes (I alternate CO e CWC washes) adding oil from 2nd/3rd day until next shampoo, and protective hairstyles.

Natashap
September 16th, 2017, 01:51 AM
Nothing much but scalp oil slight more than summer .I don't use conditioners when I wash every time.

Kaya
September 16th, 2017, 03:21 AM
Nothing too dramatic. I generally stick to the same routine throughout the year. During the winter, I might apply a bit more oil to help with maintaining the moisture balance in my hair, but other than that, I don't do anything different.

The biggest thing is when we turn on the heating, I pull out my humidifiers to help combat the dry air inside the house. :)

marvel-lover
September 16th, 2017, 05:50 AM
If I'm out walking around, ice skating, sledding, etc. I always make sure my hair is protected in a hat, so the dry, cold winds don't dry it out. In the winter, I also tend to oil my hair more before leaving my house to keep it from losing moisture. That's honestly it.

luvlonghair75
September 16th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Oiling more to prevent static from our wood stove. Lots of intense indoor heat.

luvlonghair75
September 16th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Oiling more to prevent whacky static hair. Having an indoor wood stove makes it go super crazy.

lapushka
September 16th, 2017, 07:08 AM
Winter has come early to my area this year. How does your routine change in winter? What are your best winter hair care tips?

I don't change a thing in my routine. Just WCC + LOC and ROO (rinse-out oil method). A link to everything is in my signature if you want to know more. This keeps my hair moisturized for the week, season after season. I've been doing this for a few years now, and I really like it (to say the least). :D ;)

proo
September 16th, 2017, 08:26 AM
I wrap it up in a silky scarf
both inside and under hats

Jo Ann
September 16th, 2017, 12:41 PM
My routine stays the same, but I change to a more moisturizing/hydrating shampoo to help keep things on an even keel; that might change this year, as I'm using a more moisturizing/hydrating shampoo and conditioner as my first conditioner (I WCC) and, instead of coconut oil after I clean my hair, I'm using my first conditioner as a leave-in.

Time will tell... ;)

my2cats1
September 16th, 2017, 01:29 PM
I'll set up a humidifier in my bedroom and put a silk scarf inside my winter hat. I'll probably do more pre-poo oiling, too.

Cg
September 16th, 2017, 01:47 PM
In winter I moisturize much more, soaking diluted conditioner into the ends a few times a week and occasionally oiling the ends after shampoo/conditioner. The drier the air, the oftener I moisturize. Plus I set my humidifier quite high. I still wash only weekly though.

MamaSwanky
September 16th, 2017, 01:54 PM
I'm loving all the tips! I've had long hair for a while but only recently started treating it like I should. I definitely deep condition more often in winter but I think it's because I don't go out as much. Other than that, the only other thing I really do differently is wear it up in more protective styles to protect it from grabby coats and scarves. I like the idea of changing things up, but also see the value in sticking with what works. Anything but cutting it off is a win I suppose!

meteor
September 16th, 2017, 02:06 PM
We have big differences in humidity between summers and winters, so during dry and cold winters I have to condition and moisturize more, use more oils (e.g. in pre-poo, oil rinse, leave-in) and less proteins, and I shampoo full length less frequently and resort to scalp-only washes instead more often. I do mini-LOC when hair feels very dry: running wet hands over length and ends, following that with a bit of conditioner and/or oil/serum.
Also, I run a humidifier to help combat dryness-induced static. And I try to keep lint-inducing flannel/wool-based blankets far away from hair (I wrap hair in silky scarf). I wear a silky scarf under hood and under warm scarves or otherwise create silk "lining" for winter clothing that comes in contact with my hair. Avoiding lint from winter clothing goes a long way in preventing extra tangling.

Reyn127
September 16th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Really the only major thing that changes, for me, is having to blow dry my hair in the winter. It makes my hair all frizzy so I don't like to do it, but there are some times that I just don't want to go through hours of waiting for it to dry while it's really cold.

TatsuOni
September 17th, 2017, 03:48 AM
More oil and deep treatments with oil.

DweamGoiL
September 17th, 2017, 03:56 AM
I switch to a gentler shampoo, have it upmore often and use a heavier oil blend to seal wet ends.

Snackpackdino
September 17th, 2017, 04:09 AM
Last winter I bought a cotton velvet beanie that has a satin lining inside, and I noticed it's the best thing to wear when it's cold. And like people already said, a silk scarf is really useful, under a beanie or just by itself.

I'd also add some leave-in hair oil, especially to the ends.

Techmouse
September 17th, 2017, 01:48 PM
In the summer my routine is more humectent based with more cleansing shampoos. In the winter my routine relies on more occlusives (oils, butters, etc.) and gentler shampoos with heavier conditioners.

Joyful Mystery
September 18th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I treat my hair the same all year long.

Me too. I don't change a thing.

NV
September 18th, 2017, 12:10 PM
I use a more moisturising shampoo and apply a little more leave in conditioner after washing my hair so it doesn't dry out. Other than that I try to wear it up a little more often or braid it.

Panthera
September 19th, 2017, 12:22 AM
How do you secure your buns when you wear a beanie? A beanie and hair sticks seem to be an impossible combination, ficcare looks a bit weird too.

Dendra
September 19th, 2017, 04:33 AM
This winter will be my first as an LHC-er. I anticipate that I'll oil my ends more, both when wet and dry, and avoid central heating wherever possible. I'll also wear a soft, hair-friendly hat when outside.

TatsuOni
September 19th, 2017, 09:11 AM
How do you secure your buns when you wear a beanie? A beanie and hair sticks seem to be an impossible combination, ficcare looks a bit weird too.

I use amish pins or spin pins. A flexi might also work.

harpgal
September 19th, 2017, 09:34 AM
My secret weapon for winter care is a humidifier...a big one that keeps the whole house at about 55%. Also, coconut oil down the length (particularly the last 3-4 inches) every day.

Eastbound&Down
September 19th, 2017, 11:49 PM
I ramp up my DT routine during the winter months, we run the heaters and the air gets very dry. Outside of that I don't change my routine.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 20th, 2017, 01:29 AM
I dont change anything because california only has 1 season lol
Though I am sure once I move to portland that will change and ill have to change my routine all over again. The water is soft, the weather is different.
Ill probably need to make a forum about it at some point... LOL

Ilax
September 20th, 2017, 06:57 AM
In winter, the only thing that I change is the kind of oil for leavein or for wraps. In the summer or spring I use coconut oil while in winter I'm fine with a more fluid oil like almond or olive oil and then we interweave them. Typically in summer I get more dry with the sun so I tend to put even moisturizers on my hair that work more like gel to the flaxseed. In the winter I find myself better with aloe. Because I did not understand it yet. I think it also depends on the climate in your area. Here in Rome this summer did 40/43 degrees. Winter usually does not drop much below 0 degrees. It will take a couple of weeks of cold but is not dry.
I found a mix of oils from the Ancient Formula (Dudhi Oil) that has a bit of paraffin. For now I find myself well with very hot and cold temperatures.
I do not know if I helped you

Salwety
September 20th, 2017, 07:13 PM
I oil my scalp more often to avoid flakes and itchiness.
More oil on the hair and putting it up in a bun to avoid over dryness.

Natashap
September 21st, 2017, 02:02 AM
Buying tons of hair masks ,washing less often and wear cozy hats.

mira-chan
September 21st, 2017, 08:30 AM
Mostly the same, a bit more oiling and conditioning is needed. Otherwise, I just never wear hair down, even in a braid, through winter. It's buns only and usually braided buns. It's too windy and I have to wear a lot of layers as it's a damp cold. Hair would get stuck in everything if it were loose.

LadyCelestina
September 21st, 2017, 09:49 AM
I wonder what you people here in this thread do for your scalp in the winter, especially people with problematic scalps.

I thought I had SD, so last winter I dealt with dandruff/itchiness with anti-dandruff/SD shampoos, but it seemed to have no effect or made it worse.

Now I've found a shampoo which works for me*, and it's a sulfate free shampoo with panthenol and plant extracts, and I can suddenly stretch washes and all. I'm pretty sure it's the panthenol in the shampoo, hence why I think what I have is not SD**, but some kind of issue that's connected to the scalp being dehydrated or irritate. So as for now I'm open to trying even oils, as Salwety mentioned. I wonder what else there is, so please share if you moisturize your scalp somehow during the colder months

* Natura Siberica Arctic Rose, other sulfate free shampoos from this brand do nothing for my scalp so it's not that it's just sulfate free.
** I will ask my derm to take a proper test. She "diagnosed" me (or assumed I had been previously diagnosed) with SD because I told her Nizoral didn't work for me much. It's OTC here though.

mira-chan
September 21st, 2017, 03:23 PM
I wonder what you people here in this thread do for your scalp in the winter, especially people with problematic scalps.

I thought I had SD, so last winter I dealt with dandruff/itchiness with anti-dandruff/SD shampoos, but it seemed to have no effect or made it worse.

Now I've found a shampoo which works for me*, and it's a sulfate free shampoo with panthenol and plant extracts, and I can suddenly stretch washes and all. I'm pretty sure it's the panthenol in the shampoo, hence why I think what I have is not SD**, but some kind of issue that's connected to the scalp being dehydrated or irritate. So as for now I'm open to trying even oils, as Salwety mentioned. I wonder what else there is, so please share if you moisturize your scalp somehow during the colder months

* Natura Siberica Arctic Rose, other sulfate free shampoos from this brand do nothing for my scalp so it's not that it's just sulfate free.
** I will ask my derm to take a proper test. She "diagnosed" me (or assumed I had been previously diagnosed) with SD because I told her Nizoral didn't work for me much. It's OTC here though.

Natura Sibirica is not the best choice I find. I've tried their shower gels (samples) and they are iffy at best. For problem scalp with sulfate free try T-Sal (either the branded or store brand) it's Cocomedapropyl betaine detergent, not sulfate. It's been ok for me when I tried it.

I also oil my scalp if it gets too gooky, as mine is a dry gook. I wouldn't recommend that for someone with SD.

LadyCelestina
September 21st, 2017, 10:52 PM
Natura Sibirica is not the best choice I find. I've tried their shower gels (samples) and they are iffy at best. For problem scalp with sulfate free try T-Sal (either the branded or store brand) it's Cocomedapropyl betaine detergent, not sulfate. It's been ok for me when I tried it.

I also oil my scalp if it gets too gooky, as mine is a dry gook. I wouldn't recommend that for someone with SD.

I find that the NS Arctic Rose is the only thing that helps my scalp, from all these things I've tried :) It's definitely NOT that it's sulfate free, as other sulfate free shampoos make my scalp itch, and even other sulfate free shampoos from NS aren't as great as the Arctic Rose. I literally have near healthy, normal scalp with NS Arctic Rose.

Hence why I think the problems I have with my scalp are not SD related ( I was never properly diagnosed) :)

arcadianblue
September 21st, 2017, 11:10 PM

Have you tried SebaMed (though not sure if available where you live)? I have dandruff often and SebaMed worked. Now I'm trying cheaper alternatives, Head n Shoulders currently. Also, never tried it before, but a family member who also suffers from dandruff likes a hot coconut oil treatment every 3-4 weeks or so.

leayellena
September 22nd, 2017, 03:34 AM
Sulfate free shampoo - because I can avoid sulfate shampoo
Co-wash - mostly and I don't care if my hair will look greasy if it's covered
Hair cream/milk (Haarmilch) leave-in conditioner when my ends are dry and 15-30 min. before I comb my hair. I discovered that if I don't comb my hair before washing I shed a lot more.

LadyCelestina
September 22nd, 2017, 07:36 AM
Have you tried SebaMed (though not sure if available where you live)? I have dandruff often and SebaMed worked. Now I'm trying cheaper alternatives, Head n Shoulders currently. Also, never tried it before, but a family member who also suffers from dandruff likes a hot coconut oil treatment every 3-4 weeks or so.

Thanks for your suggestions! Yeah I can get Sebamed here, but I've already found a shampoo that works really really well for me (I'm sorry if that was not clear in the previous post! Sometimes when I'm tired my ability to speak English switches off :D) I had SD-like problems before I found my shampoo.

I did try coconut oil on scalp (refined though) last winter, and it seemed to help the itchiness... but I only did it once or twice :)

mira-chan
September 22nd, 2017, 01:13 PM
I find that the NS Arctic Rose is the only thing that helps my scalp, from all these things I've tried :) It's definitely NOT that it's sulfate free, as other sulfate free shampoos make my scalp itch, and even other sulfate free shampoos from NS aren't as great as the Arctic Rose. I literally have near healthy, normal scalp with NS Arctic Rose.

Hence why I think the problems I have with my scalp are not SD related ( I was never properly diagnosed) :)

That's good to hear that it helped. I don't think my issues are SD either, very different symptoms.

Looked up ingredients in Arctic rose and it has a sulfate, so it's a no go for me. :( Darn.

Stray_mind
September 23rd, 2017, 11:30 AM
I don't usually change my routine in winter, but i Do need to do something about Static this year, since my hair is short and i can't put it up.

arcadianblue
September 24th, 2017, 07:59 AM
Thanks for your suggestions! Yeah I can get Sebamed here, but I've already found a shampoo that works really really well for me (I'm sorry if that was not clear in the previous post! Sometimes when I'm tired my ability to speak English switches off :D) I had SD-like problems before I found my shampoo.

I did try coconut oil on scalp (refined though) last winter, and it seemed to help the itchiness... but I only did it once or twice :)

No, not at all! I understood that you were looking for alternatives for both cases. I'm glad you found a solution for your SD!

TatsuOni
September 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
It's autumn here and winter's coming.

Except for more oil and moisture, I found out last winter that my scalp benefits from washing my hair even less. But on the other hand, I never really got back to washing it every other week (other than a few times) since it doesn't need it and I'm lazy... We'll see if I change something up this winter.

leayellena
September 30th, 2018, 03:44 AM
more keratine than oil or moisture conditioners, more buns than braids as I wear a pullover at home, more deep conditioning and probably once per winter shampooing, co-wash instead of shampooing not because my hair is dirty but because it's frizzy and dry because of the cold dry winter and heat in my room, less combing but more finger combing, beanies all the time outside (I also have sensitive scalp and I get a chill way to easily), more screatching and less washing