PDA

View Full Version : People with hair comments crack me up

lora410
October 28th, 2008, 06:30 AM
OK, so I was chatting with my co worker about condioner and my boss jumps into the conversation. Anyway my co worker goes your hair keep getting longer and longer and my boss goes her hair grows and looks like a horse. Hey, atleast I got the horse comment:lol: So I start telling them how I am losing my wave and my boss goes its the weight; you should cut it and it will come back. I said well that defeats my purpose of long hair. She starts yipping about how she wouldn't ever want Long hair (hers is APL) because "you cant do anything or even style long hair" :rollin: Oh, I so do love the naive ones :D Let me say that her hair sytle is practiclly the same daily.

Krifantasy
October 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
And here I have been complaining that my BSL hair is too short to style. There are so many updo's that I cannot wait to do as it gets longer!

jojo
October 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
I put it down to jealousy, they havent the patience to grow their own so knock anybody else who does.

I used to work with this other nurse who was always going on about how long hair ages people, cannot be styled yada, yada I was waist length at the time and always felt it was directed at me. Now I see her out with guess what BSL hair!

Siava
October 28th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Jojo, did you just have a major growth spurt? Your hair is gaining great length, lady. I just noticed this in your sig and I know I've seen it a few times now. :)

Hypnotica
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 AM
You can't style long hair...?

:rollin:

HairColoredHair
October 28th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You know... I wear the same style 6/7 days of the week... but I can do a lot more with it than my roomie's jaw length cut! :lol:

alinakathryn
October 28th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I can barely put mine up in a pony much less a bun of any kind. Too long to style bah! I can't wait until I can get to at least APL so I can put it up with out half of the layers falling out.

vampodrama
October 28th, 2008, 10:20 AM
a few weeks ago I went to a salon and the receptionist had knee length hair. so I naturally told everyone about her - my colleagues, my parents and sister etc... and their reaction was the exact same, for everyone: "oh that poor girl, why is she doing that to herself???"

perplexed, I asked what exactly was so tragic about knee-length hair and got lots of explanations that she probably goes through a bottle of shampoo every time she washed her hair and how she must spend hours every day to brush it etc etc. turns out they all (every single person I talked to about her) believe that one must wash the length of one's hair with shampoo at least daily (cos apparently it gets dirty?) and brushing hair is crucial to one's survival and so on and so forth...

ohh let's say now they all think I'm some sort of a freak because I only shampoo my scalp and don't even own a hairbrush.... they probably consider me extremely dirty as well, but are just too polite to say so :lol:

arylkin
October 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM
ohh let's say now they all think I'm some sort of a freak because I only shampoo my scalp and don't even own a hairbrush.... they probably consider me extremely dirty as well, but are just too polite to say so :lol:

Oh I know- the few people I've told that I don't use shampoo and only use conditioner to wash my hair think I'm crazy... :rolleyes:

NightDaemon
October 28th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I got the regular shampoo tip from my mum as well, but since we have the same hair type and she used to have classic, I'm thinking of listening... not daily, mind, but dang, you could use my head to grease your car some days.

MischiefsMuse
October 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I always hear people comment on how much trouble long hair has to be in the ladies room and how often someone would sit on their hair. *shakes head* Minding your hair is no different than lifting your skirt hem to climb stairs.

Periwinkle
October 28th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I always hear people comment on how much trouble long hair has to be in the ladies room and how often someone would sit on their hair. *shakes head* Minding your hair is no different than lifting your skirt hem to climb stairs.

It's even easier - you can tie up your hair, but I don't see that many people walking round with their skirts in buns at the back! :D

Anje
October 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I've seen all sorts of comments about how long hair must be awful when you use the toilet. It makes me wonder how these people manage to get their clothing out of the way, if they thing moving something is so extraordinarily difficult.

I do suspect that my hair will finally stay wrapped around my neck at about the same point it will hit a chair, so there could be a slight learning curve, but very slight. Similarly, your braid only has to swing at the litter box once before you learn that buns are a must for litter duty.

MischiefsMuse
October 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Similarly, your braid only has to swing at the litter box once before you learn that buns are a must for litter duty.
I was thinking (and not saying) something similar :D It'd only take once to forget to mind your braid and find it dipped in something (like the dinner plate!) to keep that coil under control!

Euphony
October 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I was thinking (and not saying) something similar :D It'd only take once to forget to mind your braid and find it dipped in something (like the dinner plate!) to keep that coil under control!
Exactly! I now know exactly where my hair is when eating, since I learned I don't like hair in my food and very much hate food in my hair.

lora410
October 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Exactly! I now know exactly where my hair is when eating, since I learned I don't like hair in my food and very much hate food in my hair.

I am very careful of my hair while cooking. All it takes is for it to hit the burner and bending over to light candles.

Chromis
October 28th, 2008, 02:33 PM
It's even easier - you can tie up your hair, but I don't see that many people walking round with their skirts in buns at the back! :D

What you mean my bustle is why people keep looking at me funny?! Whew! And here I thought I had some toilet paper stuck to my shoe or something :spitting:

Robbi Dehlinger
October 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Long hair a pain, no, it is a gift and a joy, though it does take SOME time to properly care for?

Wish I HAD knee length hair? (Someday, I am working on it!)

ravenreed
October 28th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I will admit, I had a girlfriend with knee-length hair who commented that it fell into the toilet from time to time. I lost my desire to have hair that long ever again. I want it just long enough not to have that issue!

Robbi Dehlinger
October 28th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I will admit, I had a girlfriend with knee-length hair who commented that it fell into the toilet from time to time. I lost my desire to have hair that long ever again. I want it just long enough not to have that issue!

Well, That is carelessness, not the hair's fault? LOL:D

MischiefsMuse
October 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I keep debating on length myself :) I'd hate to have to fish my hair out of anything and if it get's too long then it obscures like half of my belly dance costume! I love the reactions (comments, expressions) when I use my hair as part of my costume (hair tosses, etc). As it is, I have to make rough housing pre-meditated... I've lost more than one round because I didn't think to pin up my just-long-enough to plant a hand on hair... They weren't kidding when they said, "where the head goes, the body will follow"

Robbi Dehlinger
October 28th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Well, belly dancing can be very lovely with hair below thighs, but I understand the dilemma:)

Brandi Lynn
October 28th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I have a friend that said to me that I should cut my hair because I needed to look more professional and grown up. Comments are strange.

Robbi Dehlinger
October 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Brandi:

That is so BOGUS!

Professionalism is the most overused and ill-defined term in the business world anyway:)

Speckla
October 28th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I have a friend that said to me that I should cut my hair because I needed to look more professional and grown up. Comments are strange.

Coming to work in jammie and bunny slippers would be unprofessional! :cheese:
________
Toyota australia history (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Australia)

joyfulmom4
October 28th, 2008, 05:58 PM

ROTFLOL! Oh, that is too funny. I'm going to have that image in my head all evening now.

Dolly
October 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM

What could be more professional than a nicely done bun or other updo?

MischiefsMuse
October 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I agree Dolly! Some of the 'bed head' styles that are so popular for short hair right now are considered acceptable for professional attire. If someone can get away with deliberate cowlicks than a beautifully arranged mane should be refreshingly sophisticated!

longhairedfairy
October 28th, 2008, 07:42 PM
It's even easier - you can tie up your hair, but I don't see that many people walking round with their skirts in buns at the back!

That gave me quite a funny visual.

I wash my hair almost every day (or night) and still don't need very much shampoo at all. I have hip-length hair.

longhairedfairy
October 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I agree Dolly! Some of the 'bed head' styles that are so popular for short hair right now are considered acceptable for professional attire. If someone can get away with deliberate cowlicks than a beautifully arranged mane should be refreshingly sophisticated!
Such as the fake mohawk that makes the top of the head look triangular? I see "professionals" wearing that on TV.

Friesiangirl
October 28th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yes, I make is known that I am growing my hair. Some are quite enthusied that I am unique, others... seem almost offended that I would do such a thing. More power to them, and their burnt-green alien hair.

MischiefsMuse
October 29th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I guess I can't figure out why anyone else would feel compared to care if you choose to grow your hair out...:hmm: other than to be supportive of course. It's not like they have to change their life around because of it :rolleyes: Heck, growing your hair out usually means you're making healthier choices for your life so that your hair will be healthy too. That's nothin' but good news! :D

MischiefsMuse
October 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
ahem. Oops, that should have read "compelled to care". Just in case that wasn't obvious...

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Well, I did drop my hair in the toilet once. I cut it off very short and started growing it again, promising myself that when it got long enough I would learn to bun it, instead of just braiding. That's when I started lurking here, and now my hair is *almost* waist and up unless it's a special occasion (and never down in porta-potty territory). It's never been easier to care for. :-)

gallows_gallery
October 30th, 2008, 11:50 AM
This reminds me of a comment my sister CONSTANTLY makes:

"You need to cut most of it off, and get layers through all the lengths, and shabby bits around your face...long hair is just SOOOOO boring. It looks SOOOOOO bad"

This comes from the girl who has natural golden ringlets, which she has bleached and dyed so much that her hair is now brown/GREEN and falling out.

rileysmama32208
October 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
ya know, I thought about this post last night-- my mom has gorgeous wavy BSL hair, and she said yesterday that she needs to cut it because shes too old for it, and she cant do anything with it, but i told her, "well with long hait you can just throw it into a ponytail when you dont want to do anything with it, but as short as you want it, you'd have to style it every day!" and her answer was "Oh... well that's true!" Yay!

Nightshade
October 30th, 2008, 12:05 PM
I put it down to jealousy, they havent the patience to grow their own so knock anybody else who does.

*cough*envy (http://www.wsu.edu:8080/%7Ebrians/errors/envious.html)*cough* ;)

On the rare, rare occasion my hair is down at work I get a lot of comments like that, but on occasion people do ask me to show how I get it up with sticks and forks. They're just *fascinated*.

I mean, good gods, I'm not sawing myself in half and putting myself back together or anything!

Barca
October 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I have a friend that said to me that I should cut my hair because I needed to look more professional and grown up. Comments are strange. *HUMPH!* I've been told I need to STRAIGHTEN my hair to look more professional...Along with cover up my tattoos. I haven't touched a flat iron in about 2 years and I have a tattoo on my hand (can't cover that one up..) and wouldn't you know- I have a job! :cheese:

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Jojo, did you just have a major growth spurt? Your hair is gaining great length, lady. I just noticed this in your sig and I know I've seen it a few times now. :)

oh i hope so, not measured since Aug or Sept as I had not grown one iota, so gonna measure in Dec, siggi is from September fingers crossed its growing, thanks though you have made my year! x

jojo
October 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
*cough*envy (http://www.wsu.edu:8080/%7Ebrians/errors/envious.html)*cough* ;)

On the rare, rare occasion my hair is down at work I get a lot of comments like that, but on occasion people do ask me to show how I get it up with sticks and forks. They're just *fascinated*.

I mean, good gods, I'm not sawing myself in half and putting myself back together or anything!

your not??? heck thats where i am going wrong!;) yes definatelly the cough *green eyed* cough *monster!*

Nightshade
October 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
your not??? heck thats where i am going wrong!;) yes definatelly the cough *green eyed* cough *monster!*

*groan* well played :flowers: :lol:

Robbi Dehlinger
October 31st, 2008, 12:02 AM
tis ever thus with jealous folks?

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:33 PM

Um....

I wear long skirts 99.99% of the time. If I need to do something and it is getting in the way, i tuck the end up into the waistband, making it knee length. I just grab a few places, maybe 3 or 4, and lift it over the outside and stuff it into the waist. It is a quick fix, but it looks silly.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM

That is why I prefer my hair to be long enough that it stays behind my shoulders when i lean forward. I just need to gain back another inch or 2 before I can brush my teeth without worrying about it slipping over my shoulders and into my face.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:37 PM
What you mean my bustle is why people keep looking at me funny?! Whew! And here I thought I had some toilet paper stuck to my shoe or something :spitting:

Yeah, I thought of bustles too. They do look like a skirt made into a bun!

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:41 PM

Yeah, people think I look young when my hair is down. Like 16. I am 28.

I always thought it was the curls -- somehow an association with Shirley Temple or other child stars with "telephone cord" curls (that is what I call mine....neat spiral tubes).

But then I was reading about Victorian hair styles, and that young girls wore their hair down, while adult women wore up-dos. The article said that girls nearing the age of maturity would sometimes wear it partially up.

Anyway, I found that interesting. But it also made me wonder if some of the cultural message inherent in the hair styles (ie. hair down equals young) managed to linger since the Victorian era. Maybe that is why people think I am younger when my hair is down.

Buns seems associated with old age. People tell me that I am too young for a bun. The younger I was, the more I heard that comment.

Lady Lilya
November 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
Well, I did drop my hair in the toilet once. I cut it off very short and started growing it again, promising myself that when it got long enough I would learn to bun it, instead of just braiding. That's when I started lurking here, and now my hair is *almost* waist and up unless it's a special occasion (and never down in porta-potty territory). It's never been easier to care for. :-)

I once dropped my eyeglasses in a toilet -- right off my face. I am just more careful now.

(P.S. Sorry for so many consecutive posts. I'm just reading everyone else's posts and replying one by one. I do know how to put multiple quotes in the same post, but this is SOOOOOO much easier. Plus I am kinda lacking in the post count, and can't see all of your pics until I get that number up.)

Juneii
November 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM
aww, that's so cute and naive of her :] that's really funny how people think that long hair is harder to style. like you can do anything with short hair!

Queen V
November 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
aww, that's so cute and naive of her :] that's really funny how people think that long hair is harder to style. like you can do anything with short hair!

Seriously. Short hair requires so much more time to style, in my opinion, and has none of the versatility that longer hair does. The wide variety of style options is one of my major motivators for growing long hair!