PDA

View Full Version : Hair does not feel washed!

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 08:23 AM
I know I washed my hair last night, I was there when I did it! lol But this morning it feels as if it did not get washed at all. This happened last time, too. I've been using the same shampoo and conditioner (Marc Anthony) for several months now and whereas I had no problems before, it's now becoming a problem. I only condition from the neck down, never the scalp. I do coconut oil every now and then on the scalp, once a month or so, but I'm trying to figure out why this is happening now? Seasonal changes? Aging? My birthday's coming up. I'm also noticing more hair loss.

Help? Ideas?

Aredhel
September 14th, 2017, 08:29 AM
What do you mean when you say that your hair doesn't feel washed? Does it feel like it has a layer of waxy residue or something? Or does it just feel stringy and oily? The coconut oil and conditioner could be building up and you might benefit from a good clarifying/chelating if you don't already do it.

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 08:32 AM
Yes, like somebody waxed my hair. Mostly on my scalp. How would I do chelating on my hair? I'm already thinking of switching shampoos.

Obsidian
September 14th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I would start with a good clarifying shampoo. I've always like suave daily clarifying, its cheap and does a good job. You want to thoroughly scrub (gently) your scalp and the whole length of your hair. You might even lather up twice.
If you have hard water, you might also want a chelating shampoo which will remove mineral build up. Joico clarifying is a good one it both clarifies and chelates. Alternately, any shampoo you can find that is made for swimmers will also chelate.

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 08:58 AM
I would start with a good clarifying shampoo. I've always like suave daily clarifying, its cheap and does a good job. You want to thoroughly scrub (gently) your scalp and the whole length of your hair. You might even lather up twice.
If you have hard water, you might also want a chelating shampoo which will remove mineral build up. Joico clarifying is a good one it both clarifies and chelates. Alternately, any shampoo you can find that is made for swimmers will also chelate.
Interesting! Good to know, thanks! Yes, I do have hard water and I'm thinking it might be doing this. I did use hubby's Head and Shoulders a couple weeks ago and hair felt good after that. I've been looking at Joico...

Aredhel
September 14th, 2017, 09:21 AM
The Joico one is wonderful, I and many others on LHC swear by it... I use a lot of coney products, have hard water and am very buildup prone. :) I just scrub my entire hair from root to ends and let it sit for a minute, then wash it all out. Squeaky clean. :)

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 11:48 AM
I'll see if I can find it in my local stores! :) Thanks!

Dendra
September 14th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Yes definitely go for a good clarify! I had the same problem for ages and couldn't work out how my hair felt lank and greasy as soon as it dried. I switched to a shampoo with harsher cleansers and got beautiful fresh clean hair.

Anje
September 14th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Any chance you forgot to rinse conditioner? I've done that once or twice, and the results are unpleasant. :P

Otherwise, yeah, time for a clarifying wash.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 14th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Sounds like you need to do a clarifying wash :) The Joico shampoo is wonderful.

Nique1202
September 14th, 2017, 03:28 PM
After your clarifying wash, you may even be able to still use the products you've been using up until now. Just clarify when your hair starts to feel unwashed after washing, or if it happens consistently after some specific number of washes (say, every 12 washes) then clarify a little sooner than that (in the same example, you might pick every 10 washes). If the Marc Anthony stuff generally makes you happy with your hair, no need to switch permanently if the clarify wash helps in between!

lapushka
September 14th, 2017, 04:08 PM
Exactly what Nique says. Gauge how often you'd need to clarify, but you can keep using your favorite shampoo in between a clarifying routine.

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 05:41 PM
I couldn't find Joico in our local store but I did find L'Oreal's Extraordinary Clay! It helps to lightweight roots (check!), hydrate lengths (check!) and exquisite radiance (yep!) For oily roots and dry ends. Can't wait to see how it works! Plus, it was about $3! :)

Cherriezzzzz
September 14th, 2017, 06:21 PM
I couldn't find Joico in our local store but I did find L'Oreal's Extraordinary Clay! It helps to lightweight roots (check!), hydrate lengths (check!) and exquisite radiance (yep!) For oily roots and dry ends. Can't wait to see how it works! Plus, it was about $3! :)

Oh please keep us updated. I've been waiting to see more people try that clay shampoo...

I'd just use a tablespoon or two of baking soda dissolved in a big mason jar... But my hair "likes it that way!" Haha

Shampoo can unfortunately become a shampoo that you once loved and do not anymore. That happened to me w morrocainoil. It was so good for so long, but alas even with clarified shampoo and even baking soda rinsed... I ended up switching off.

Better luck to you!

Dark40
September 14th, 2017, 07:26 PM
I would do a good clarifying wash. Sometimes my hair feels like that too. It's probably build up and oils. It is a good idea to switch up your shampoo.

lapushka
September 15th, 2017, 05:30 AM
Oh please keep us updated. I've been waiting to see more people try that clay shampoo...

I'd just use a tablespoon or two of baking soda dissolved in a big mason jar... But my hair "likes it that way!" Haha

Shampoo can unfortunately become a shampoo that you once loved and do not anymore. That happened to me w morrocainoil. It was so good for so long, but alas even with clarified shampoo and even baking soda rinsed... I ended up switching off.

Better luck to you!

Clay shampoos are great. Over here (BE) Garnier Ultra Doux (Whole Blends) do a clay shampoo too, with clay + lemon, I think. It's this one:
https://superscanner.nl/images/product/original/2/1/0/210143-92928-ultra-doux-klei-en-cedercitroen.4-400.jpeg

And it's lovely. Good choice, I think! Clay shampoos keep my scalp cleaner for about one day longer. Love that.

luvlonghair75
September 15th, 2017, 07:10 PM
https://target.scene7.com/is/image/Target/51028738?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Today I smothered my hair in coconut oil and spent alot of time working up a sweat working outside so I was fully loaded with dirt, oil, sweat and grass clippings! I just finished washing my hair with the above product. (Hope the link works!) I only bought the shampoo before buying the entire collection. I lathered only once and it lathered so well that I didn't bother to lather again. My comb got through much better than it had in the past and I barely lost any hairs! YAY! I'm wondering how long it will take before I feel the need to wash again? Can I get through the weekend? We'll see! So far I really like this shampoo. :)

ShahMat
September 15th, 2017, 11:29 PM
I have experienced that too, and usually it just means I didn't rinse the conditioner out completely, or that the water is too hard. In either case, clarifying seems to be the solution

lucid
September 16th, 2017, 04:53 AM
Does the jocio clarifying shampoo contain silicones or protein?

luvlonghair75
September 16th, 2017, 05:29 AM
To follow up with dry morning hair: I braided for over night, as usual and this morning the elastic was super easy to remove! No pile of straw to dig through! lol My ends are also VERY shiny!! I love it! The braid practically undid itself, it was like being in a hair commercial! LOL This is just using the shampoo so I think I'll get the mask and conditioner yet. Just to see what the FULL effects might be, if any different.

luvlonghair75
September 16th, 2017, 05:33 AM
I have experienced that too, and usually it just means I didn't rinse the conditioner out completely, or that the water is too hard. In either case, clarifying seems to be the solution

Yes, that is what I was thinking for quite some time now so after a few washes of making sure I'd rinsed.... it didn't make any difference with how much I rinsed. And rinsed. And rinsed! lol I grew up with hard water and have never thought it actually causes hair problems but I read here from many other people that it apparently does! It's all news to me. lol

lucid
September 16th, 2017, 05:58 AM
To follow up with dry morning hair: I braided for over night, as usual and this morning the elastic was super easy to remove! No pile of straw to dig through! lol My ends are also VERY shiny!! I love it! The braid practically undid itself, it was like being in a hair commercial! LOL This is just using the shampoo so I think I'll get the mask and conditioner yet. Just to see what the FULL effects might be, if any different.

Are there silicones in the shampoo?

luvlonghair75
September 16th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Are there silicones in the shampoo?

I don't think there is.

luvlonghair75
September 17th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Just thought I'd give a day 2 update. My hair felt nice and soft still this morning. It's evening now and it's beginning to get oily and my ends slightly frizzy again. Not the "72 hours of freshness" as advertised on the bottle but then I only used the shampoo! lol I will use it again when I feel the need and will resume my usual shampoo and conditioner routine tomorrow. I will also get the rest of the collection so I can see if it really IS 72 days of freshness! I mean, imagine that! lol :)

Afanen
September 17th, 2017, 08:08 PM
I would try some ACV diluted (+ some essential oils for smell if it bothers out) every few times you wash. I keep a bottle filled 1/4 of the way with ACV, the rest with water, and about 5-8 drops of EO's and just keep it in the bathroom to rinse with. If it's from hard water it'll definitely help.

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 06:34 AM
I think I figured out what it is which means another question: Can CONDITIONER go rancid?!?? I hadn't noticed until yesterday when I was washing my hair again. My shampoo seemed fine but when I went to apply the conditioner, I noticed a very sticky feel and my skin feeling weird after touching it. Kind of like tight skin after washing. Sure enough, my hair felt like that, too! I've had it a few months, it was one of those large bottles you get from Costco, so then if occurred to me if it might've gone rancid, causing havoc to my hair!

Aredhel
September 19th, 2017, 07:08 AM
I think I figured out what it is which means another question: Can CONDITIONER go rancid?!?? I hadn't noticed until yesterday when I was washing my hair again. My shampoo seemed fine but when I went to apply the conditioner, I noticed a very sticky feel and my skin feeling weird after touching it. Kind of like tight skin after washing. Sure enough, my hair felt like that, too! I've had it a few months, it was one of those large bottles you get from Costco, so then if occurred to me if it might've gone rancid, causing havoc to my hair!

I don't think conditioner can go bad after just a few months... it's possible you might need a new conditioner... my hair can get temperamental with hair products too sometimes and start hating products that I use regularly.

Aredhel
September 19th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Does the jocio clarifying shampoo contain silicones or protein?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it does contain both; I'll check my bottle when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it does.

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 07:15 AM
I don't think conditioner can go bad after just a few months... it's possible you might need a new conditioner... my hair can get temperamental with hair products too sometimes and start hating products that I use regularly.

But it is the conditioner. If I ask anyone else to put it just on their hand, they can feel it too. It's weird. I've never had this happen before.

Aredhel
September 19th, 2017, 07:20 AM
But it is the conditioner. If I ask anyone else to put it just on their hand, they can feel it too. It's weird. I've never had this happen before.

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking if conditioner can go rancid, hence my response - I don't think it can in such a short time. Defective product maybe? Who knows.

lapushka
September 19th, 2017, 08:41 AM
Maybe you needed to shake the bottle. I often do that with my conditioners, especially if I've had them for a while. I have a hoard of shampoo & conditioner and rarely things go bad on me, esp. conditioner (haven't had that happen yet).

It is just a rinse-out, though, yes? So it shouldn't be such a big deal. I would maybe avoid the scalp!

luvlonghair75
September 19th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Maybe you needed to shake the bottle. I often do that with my conditioners, especially if I've had them for a while. I have a hoard of shampoo & conditioner and rarely things go bad on me, esp. conditioner (haven't had that happen yet).

It is just a rinse-out, though, yes? So it shouldn't be such a big deal. I would maybe avoid the scalp!

Yep! Just the rinsing that's being a pain. I usually do avoid the scalp which is why it's been puzzling me. I can't find an expiry date so I probably already shook the bottle good just looking for it! lol If I continue to dislike the results, I will just chuck it. Oh, I know, my mom used to have hoards of bottles of stuff that still smelled alright after like, 3 decades! Makes ya wonder what's in them!

lapushka
September 19th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Yep! Just the rinsing that's being a pain. I usually do avoid the scalp which is why it's been puzzling me. I can't find an expiry date so I probably already shook the bottle good just looking for it! lol If I continue to dislike the results, I will just chuck it. Oh, I know, my mom used to have hoards of bottles of stuff that still smelled alright after like, 3 decades! Makes ya wonder what's in them!

Yeah, I used up shampoo that was 10+ years old a number of months ago. I bet you can no longer do that with today's paraben-free stuff.