PDA

View Full Version : No heat?

Redderly
September 13th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to the LHC, but one of my newest challenges for myself is to limit if not completely ban all heat on my hair. If I must use heat, it is only from a blow dryer on warm with heat protection added.

Are there any others out there that have banned using heating tools? How long have you been doing it and has it changed your hair at all? What other ways do you style without the use if heat?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

MoonRabbit
September 13th, 2017, 07:42 PM
I stopped using heat two years ago. It was the best decision I ever made for my hair. It looks and feels so much better. My natural waves are no longer just frizz and it grows faster than it ever did before. As for other ways of style, I usually just put my hair into dutch braids for extra waves. Right now I prefer to enjoy my natural texture for what it is.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 13th, 2017, 07:57 PM
I haven't really ever used heat on my hair. I figure if it's not good on my skin, my hair won't like it either. I will sometimes use my hairdryer on warm, but hold it about 10" away from my hair. It really pays off to keep away from heat tools if you want happy healthy hair :) Hair, unlike skin, doesn't repair itself when damaged.

nat_brunette
September 13th, 2017, 11:37 PM
I haven't used any heating tools since December, 2015, and that was the first time since September of 2015.

I used to dye my hair blonde a few times a year, used heating tools almost daily, used highly concentrated shampoos and shampooed almost every day because I worked in a smoky club.
When I was saved by Jesus, I felt strongly led by the Holy Spirit to not use these things on my hair anymore, so I heeded that voice and my hair has never been better.

The front sections would grow maybe 1.5 inches in a year's time. In two years, those same sections are now about 5-6" past my chin! I also trim my own hair occasionally. For the most part though I utilize the S&D method (there are threads here about this method. It's very handy if you're like me and have a nervous habit of ripping at ends).

My hair is only frizzy now when I don't use my satin sleeping cap at night, and even then it's easily tame able with some rose water and oil. If you don't have a cap, you should look into it. They're dirt cheap and save you a lot of strife in the morning.

I comb my hair with a wide toothed comb in the morning, then use a boar bristle brush and then put coconut oil in it. Same at night.
I also wash my hair every 3 weeks to even up to almost two months. Sounds gross, but water does the trick. If you choose this route, there is definitely an adjustment period, but as time goes on your hair will get less and less greasy. When I do wash my hair, I use apple cider vinegar, two drops of lavender oil and one drop rosemary oil in about 3/4 a liter of water.

All of these things combined with never using heat on my hair has allowed it to take its natural shape, which prior, I never knew existed. For me it's been an incredible experience spiritually as well as physically, so I'll just talk about the physical. My hair is healthier, shinier and sturdier than ever before. Now that I see what my natural hair looks like, I will never ever use heat on it ever again. I can see on other women's hair (virtually all women) how dull, flat and frizzy it looks. Personally, I rarely see hair that I think is beautiful because I can now see how heat damaged it usually is.

In the meantime, your hair will thank you if you learn a few braids and buns. Just embrace your natural hair, whether it looks good or bad on any given day, and eventually you'll have more gorgeous hair than you imagined! It just takes some character building and adjustment periods.

God bless you.

nat_brunette
September 13th, 2017, 11:42 PM
And I forgot- before rinsing with ACV, I coat my hair heavily with a conditioner from Shea moisture brand, and let sit for at least 3 minutes or so while I shave. Then I rinse that, then rinse with ACV.

_fred_
September 14th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Hi Redderly! :blossom:

I joined at the beginning of the year, and my Feb haircut was the last time I said yes to my stylist using irons on my hair. I have a set, but I never really use them because I didn't have the knack. I used to blow dry my hair pretty viciously though. Nowadays I've sworn off heat, aside from when I have a trim. I'm having 6-monthly trims, and at my summer trim, my stylist did blow dry it on hot, but didn't use straighteners. I did S&D when I got home, and there was none of the crinkly fried sad ends I started to notice after straightening. I'll keep an eye on it, and if it seems like twice a year is too much I'll ask if it's possible to have her dry it on cool (I won't mind paying extra for her time, so I'm optimistic she'll be OK with that!).

If the weather's cold and my hair won't dry any other way, I'm fine with using the hair-drier on cool, but I'm trying to time my washes so I don't have to.

As for styling, I was using the hair-drier to try to straighten my hair before, and to get it to lie flat in a bob. It rebelled. Now it's just past collarbone, and I find that putting it up for the day will mean it lays nicely until the next wash (it can also kink in weird places too, depends on the updo! But for the most part it just makes it lay nicely).

Have you hear of curlformers? A friend introduced me to them recently. They're heat-free, and on her hair (2a, thick, dark, partially dyed), they worked beautifully. I haven't tried them yet because my hair's too short - I'll end up with curls around my ears! I want to try them once I've got some length though. They're a bit of a faff, and not massively comfy to sleep in, but the results are fun.

Simsy
September 14th, 2017, 04:17 AM
While I never really used heat; always took too long; I can chime in with options. Braids will give you nice waves or curls depending on how small you make the braids. You can use soft rollers or rags for ringlet curls, just dampen the hair slightly when you put it up and sleep on it.

Buns make pretty waves, depending on the bun. You can add scarves or yarn/ribbon into braids and buns for some colour.

Hair toys are another good option. If you're still growing out; you can get pretty pins, claw clips (these are fantastic even at longer lengths) and interesting flowers.

At longer lengths, forks and sticks become good additions.

OhSuzi
September 14th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Not used heat for one year (Maybe like 4 times with a hairdryer on cool+diffuser).
Along with no hair dyes etc & no trims for a year, recently followed by one final cut from the hairdresser - who did use hot blowdryer, but no straighteners, before I continue to grow.
I also don't use a brush any more - I either just leave it or occasionally use a very wide toothed comb.
& I rarely stick any form of product in it other than shampoo & conditioner / dry shampoo & even that is now only twice a week.

- Not over fussing with hair gives you a lot more time when getting ready!

Previously Bleach & Straighteners were definitely something that damaged my hair - the damage was instantly there after using them, burnt frizzy fly away, thinned bits, dry, breakage and regular split ends & it didn't feel nice to run hands through & it got tangled easily.
Whilst it was a pixie - i could cope with all this because new growth was always coming through & it got regular trims.
But bleach & heat etc on longer hair is difficult to maintain and eventually can end up looking overprocessed and 'like straw'

Since no heat etc. my hair is generally stronger, shinier & thicker, I occasionally search for spilt ends but have genuinely found no more than 3 in the whole year.
My hair has grown pretty quickly (from pixie) - its between chin / shoulder now - so I am happy to let it air dry as this does not take that long - especially in the summer.

I've always been a bit scruffy hippy, so letting it dry with it's own natural wave has never been an issue and at this length it doesn't get very tangly.
I guess it depends on your hair, if its fine and silky straight, it probably will dry that way without heat? if you have wavy hair & you want to achieve a super straight neat look - not sure how youd go about it - I guess on that occasion use the hairdryer on cool? Or accept your natural waves.

curls can be achieved with out heat with curler / rags / scrunching / plopping / just twisting your hair & maybe bunging some mousse in.

Eventually when it gets longer you can start sticking it up - which hopefully mean prolonging washes a bit longer in between as imagine air drying long hair takes longer so your gonna want to wash it when you have time on your hands / or you can plait it whilst damp? So it still looks neat & youll get lovely neat waves when it dries.

lapushka
September 14th, 2017, 06:54 AM
Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to the LHC, but one of my newest challenges for myself is to limit if not completely ban all heat on my hair. If I must use heat, it is only from a blow dryer on warm with heat protection added.

Are there any others out there that have banned using heating tools? How long have you been doing it and has it changed your hair at all? What other ways do you style without the use if heat?

Heat from a blow dryer is *fine*. As long as the temperature is cool to warm. If you are setting it on warm, just gauge it like this. If you can hold your hand (or a more sensitive part of your skin) in the air stream for a long time without it burning, then the temperature on your blow dryer is great to use.

I have been using a diffuser on my hair weekly for as long as I can remember (warm); and I don't get split ends or white dots (I also moisturize very very well).

nat_brunette
September 14th, 2017, 09:02 AM
I forgot another detail lol. Sorry about that.

My hair is now just touching BSL (2 years, no heat). I've had no major cuts, just my own trims that I do to myself twice a year or so, an S&D method.
And I mostly put my hair in one long braid starting from the crown of my head, or a Dutch braid.

Isilme
September 14th, 2017, 09:05 AM
I have never been fond of heat tools, I have a lot of hair and by the time my hair is drier I have to take a shower again. Since I have been at goal length for a time now I sometimes use a curling iron on my braid tassel for special occasions.

raemarthe
September 14th, 2017, 09:17 AM
I haven't used any heat since 2014. I can definitely tell which parts of my hair were exposed to heat and which parts are new growth. It made a huge difference in the quality of my hair. Keep in mind I have curly hair so when I did use heat it would super concentrated heat from a straightening iron, so that might be more intense than a blow dryer on high heat or a curling iron.

meteor
September 14th, 2017, 09:26 AM
I've never straightened or curled my hair with heat at all. I just never felt the need to, since there are so many heat-free, damage-free ways of achieving the same looks, at least with my hairtype. I liked bunwaves and roller-sets on shorter hair and braidwaves and figure-8 bandanna waves (https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/) on longer hair, since multiple wrapping on a roller doesn't work as well when hair gets past certain lengths.

Beautyklove has a lot of no-heat curls/waves tutorials on her channel, might be worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE&list=PL4626FAE04F57ED14

For a straighter look, something like hair wrapping or caterpillar braids while wrapping length in smooth cord can work. If your hair is only slightly wavy, just combing it down while air-drying it or while blow-drying on cool setting in downward motion with a "concentrator nozzle" (narrow duckbill) should smooth out the hair enough for a straighter look.

Dendra
September 14th, 2017, 12:59 PM
I don't use any heat whatsoever as my fine hair is easily damaged by heat. When I used to use heat all the time I had so much less hair and it was very fragile.

Joyful Mystery
September 14th, 2017, 01:19 PM
I don't use any heat tools except for the occasional use of a blowdryer on cool/warm. I do what meteor suggested and gently comb my hair while blow-drying on a cool/warm setting in a downward motion with the "concentrator nozzle". It works great for smoothing and straightening.

Deborah
September 14th, 2017, 10:13 PM
I have always had long hair. Back in 1983, when LHC began, I used to dry my hair with a blowdryer, not to style it, just to speed up drying. I pretty quickly stopped using the dryer at all. As my hair grew longer and more was cut off, I slowly began to realize that I did not get any more split ends. I never got a lot, but I did get some. Now, and for many years, I get NONE!

Many on here say it's okay to use warm to dry it. I disagree. I didn't use the hottest air to dry my hair back when I used a dryer. It think NO drying with a dryer is best, just by my own experience.

Arciela
September 14th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Oh wow LHC has been around since 1983? That's interesting hehe I always thought it was just these forums, very cool :)

As for me I would use heat way way to much until 2012 when I stopped for good. It was so hard at first but I got used to it...and I didn't even realize I had wurly hair until sometime in 2014. My whole life I just thought I had a big poofy mess that needed to be flat ironed lol.

Salwety
September 15th, 2017, 12:10 AM
Heat styling is not the only way to do your hair.
We don't know your hair type or length to give you more specified answer. But you need to try the different ways to wash your hair and find what your hair like. Also you can use one or a combination of: oils, conditioners, leave-in conditioner and gel to style your hair.
You can try wash an go, or learn some updoes and braids. There are different types of buns and braids that are suitable for the different hair lengths. Curling sets, flexi rods, twist outs, and braid outs.

yahirwaO.o
September 15th, 2017, 01:03 AM
Currenly Im on heat free doctrine as well partially because im on the one year free of trims;I want my fine hair to be as long and healthy as it possibly can and also im lazy to do heat styles at current lenght.

In the past i have straightned my already frizz prone straight hair for the ultimate sleekness mirror shine efect and it seriously did got my ends dry and funky looking.

I think a blow dryer is ok for the most part. Yet I havent found one that does turn me into poofy lion mane after im done but its pretty harmless if you the warm setting and move it around.

StartingFrom0
September 15th, 2017, 01:56 AM
I stopped using heat a year ago. Big difference. I must admit though that I blow dryed once (last month)because I was in a hurry and I am probably going to blow dry again in the winter because otherwise I will catch a cold. Good for you wanting to limit heat as much as possible good luck !

lapushka
September 15th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Many on here say it's okay to use warm to dry it. I disagree. I didn't use the hottest air to dry my hair back when I used a dryer. It think NO drying with a dryer is best, just by my own experience.

Well for me that is very true. I have used the blow dryer non-stop, weekly for over 10 years, without splits and without any white dots. And I have had bad damage from heat before. I don't consider a blow dryer "heat" at all. But that's just me. I think when you have to spend over 1 day drying it is just too much and it is actually better to dry than to leave it. meteor posted some interesting articles on this a while ago.

GalaMoon
September 15th, 2017, 05:04 AM
I have to blow dry my hair because I get a cold every time I try to air dry, however I only use the cool/warm setting, takes longer to dry but well worth the effort. Back when I used a higher heat setting, my hair would look like a big poofy, frizzy, dry mess unless I styled it with a round brush, now it just falls into a nice shape on it's own. Not to mention it's got more shine and less split ends. Limiting heat on your hair might sound discouraging now, but your hair will benefit a lot from it on the long run.

Alibran
September 15th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I haven't used heat on my hair myself since 2003 (unless you count sitting in the sun after I washed it), although I did allow stylists to diffuser dry it when it was short, and I wasn't growing it, so it didn't matter. My 'styling' method is to put my choice of products in it, scrunch it a bit, then ignore it until it's dry.

I'm not saying I never would. I do own a hairdryer, and I'd use it if I needed to get it dry and it wasn't going to happen any other way, but ever diffuser drying messes up my curl pattern, so I'd rather not.

LadyCelestina
September 15th, 2017, 09:35 AM
Hello everyone!

I think if your hair is resilient and thick enough, you can grow to around hip or even longer and keep it looking decent even with relatively frequent use of heat styling tools. You'd have to invest some time and money into treatments and trim a bit more often.

That being said, not all of us have hair that is resilient/thick enough for that :)

As for me, using heat is pointless. My hair simply doesn't straighten nicely. It just kinda looks as if someone with 2a/b hair brushed out the wave. I tried it for prom 3years ago on some front pieces and I can still feel the damage (flat iron).

I do use the blowdryer on cool to warm setting, mostly on my roots only or with the diffuser attachment on the length. I use leave-ins and scrunching/plopping to shape my curls :) Or sometimes I'll damp bun/braid or comb through while wet for a looser wave.