PDA

View Full Version : I don't shed much, Is THAT normal?

Andthetalltrees
September 11th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I've been keeping track of my shed hairs a little more lately and realize I barely shed at all. When I wash my hair it ranges from 10-25 and on non wash days I get 3-10. Much less than the oft sited 100 hairs a day, I brush my hair several times a day so I think I'm getting most of them out. I think this why when I had a large shed it didn't seem like much at the time, but it was more than my normal.

Deborah
September 11th, 2017, 03:33 PM
I don't shed heavily either. I have always assumed it is normal for some, but not for others.

Sarahlabyrinth
September 11th, 2017, 03:46 PM
It might be normal for you. Lucky! :)

Dark40
September 11th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I would say it's normal. That's good that you don't shed that many hairs! I don't shed that many hairs per day either. Especially, after my washes, and I wash frequently.

Aredhel
September 11th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Lucky you indeed! I'm a heavy shedder unfortunately, hence my heavy taper. :)

WillOTree
September 11th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Normal! Since my hormones have evened out I'm back to shedding maybe 20 or 30 on wash days and probably 10-20 non wash days. I noticed how little I normally shed when my hair began falling out in handfuls.

*Wednesday*
September 13th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Stated on average, hair shed is 50 - 100 hairs daily. Not 100. That is an average. A little more or less is not uncommon.

esfand
September 13th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Lucky, lucky you. Tell me your secrets!

Beckstar
September 13th, 2017, 02:25 PM
I shed 150+ hairs a day and that's normal for me. People can shed much less and it's normal for them.

Cherriezzzzz
September 13th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Lucky you indeed! I'm a heavy shedder unfortunately, hence my heavy taper. :)

Oh maybe you're onto something...

I don't shed hardly at all and I have a very thick hemline!

Do you think the two could be related? This would be an interesting poll...

Decoy24601
September 13th, 2017, 04:32 PM
I shed like crazy and have a thick hemline (although it's a little thin from old layers and scissor thinned ends). I could put any family dog to shame.

littlestarface
September 13th, 2017, 04:45 PM
I shed like crazy and have a very thin hemline, I am certain it is cuz of that reason I have such a huge taper.

Redderly
September 13th, 2017, 05:12 PM
Lucky!
I have fine, thin hair, so when I shed I wonder how I am not bald!

Jo Ann
September 13th, 2017, 10:18 PM
I shed, especially when I wash my hair--the sheds cover the drain cover! :shocked: I'm not brave enough to count the hairs on the drain cover, but I don't shed as much when I brush my hair daily.

Sora Rose
September 14th, 2017, 02:33 AM
I don't shed much here, either. I can brush my hair for five minutes and get maybe two to eight hairs on my brush even after they've been up most of the day.

Acid
September 14th, 2017, 06:02 AM
i shed around the same amount but i also have a yearly shed in september/october where i start shedding around 100 a day for 2 months then back to 20-30

lapushka
September 14th, 2017, 06:50 AM
I've been keeping track of my shed hairs a little more lately and realize I barely shed at all. When I wash my hair it ranges from 10-25 and on non wash days I get 3-10. Much less than the oft sited 100 hairs a day, I brush my hair several times a day so I think I'm getting most of them out. I think this why when I had a large shed it didn't seem like much at the time, but it was more than my normal.

Maybe that's the "norm" for you.

I shed bucket loads. About 50-100 before a wash, about 50-100 during a wash, and about 50-100 after the wash while detangling. This is my hairloss for the week (just about). And it can vary wash to wash (I always make note of it, as in "small, normal, large" amount). Tuesday to Saturday some hair comes out while finger detangling. All in all, it's not so bad, I don't think. :shrug:

As long as your hair doesn't start thinning, it's all fine!

luvlonghair75
September 14th, 2017, 09:18 AM
I don't shed much, either. Certainly not even 50 strands per day! Although I have been shedding some more recently due to build up. I'm not usually shedding all that much. My hair is fine and thin so maybe there's not much to shed from!

leayellena
September 14th, 2017, 09:29 AM
I shed A LOT on wash day, like 100 Strands(?) Didnīt Count because it would scare me or Iīd spend half an hour to an hour counting my shed strands! other than that I only shed like 3 Strands a day since I gave up combing on a daily Basis.

Dendra
September 14th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Up until recently I shed barely anything, under ten a day. I have virtually no taper at all, so I think the two could be connected.

Aredhel
September 14th, 2017, 02:22 PM
My DH sheds a LOT but he has no taper whatsoever. Not really sure how that works...:confused:

Dendra
September 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM
My DH sheds a LOT but he has no taper whatsoever. Not really sure how that works...:confused:

I kind've hope it's not connected as I've shed a lot more the past couple of months.

StartingFrom0
September 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Me too ! Except from nutrition and stress it also has to do with how long your hair is and what stage they are in. Some hairs reach their maximum lenght and fall off. I have medium lenght hair under bsl and I probably shed like 3-5 hairs a day!

Dendra
September 14th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Me too ! Except from nutrition and stress it also has to do with how long your hair is and what stage they are in. Some hairs reach their maximum lenght and fall off. I have medium lenght hair under bsl and I probably shed like 3-5 hairs a day!

That's interesting. I hope my hair hasn't reached it's maximum length!

Arciela
September 14th, 2017, 03:31 PM
Thank you for asking this! I don't shed much at all either..like VERY little..and was wondering if that is normal >.>

Now when I bleached I shed way way way too much..but since stopping, its like a few strands and thats it..

Cherriezzzzz
September 14th, 2017, 05:26 PM
I always have very high iron... And do not shed much. Bf has low iron and hers is always shedding! Any other low shedders have great iron levels?

There's hope though bc bf is increasing hers and hair is improving!

Aredhel
September 14th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Not sure about that either Cherriezzzzz - low iron can definitely cause a lot of hair loss, however I don't think that having high iron levels necessarily makes a person shed less. I often have low iron and I shed quite a bit - DH has great iron levels and he sheds more than I do.

Dendra
September 15th, 2017, 04:58 AM
For me I don't think a drop in iron levels has caused my increased shedding, it was scalp problems. In fact, as a low shedder (normally) I also always have average-low iron levels.

luvlonghair75
September 15th, 2017, 07:58 AM
Well, my hair is behaving badly at the moment but I took the time to count my shed hairs and got up to approximately 60 something. I wonder if lower iron levels cause shedding too, because I've had some other physical issues as well, also relating to low iron! What fun to be a woman! LOL

Andthetalltrees
September 15th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I've been told I have fairly low iron actually. Lately I've been putting in more effort to eat more balanced/healthy though.

lapushka
September 15th, 2017, 03:28 PM

If your hair is constantly loose, you might miss a lot of shed hair. My hair is in a bun half the time, when I'm up and I always loosen my bun over the sink so the sheds fall in there, and that is where I detangle as well. I only keep my hair down at night. There is barely hair on the floor (when my mom cleans), and there is almost no hair in my bed.

If, however, your hair is loose all the time vs. contained and in a bun (with controlled detangling over a sink), you might shed more than you think...

Dendra
September 15th, 2017, 03:52 PM
If your hair is constantly loose, you might miss a lot of shed hair. My hair is in a bun half the time, when I'm up and I always loosen my bun over the sink so the sheds fall in there, and that is where I detangle as well. I only keep my hair down at night. There is barely hair on the floor (when my mom cleans), and there is almost no hair in my bed.

If, however, your hair is loose all the time vs. contained and in a bun (with controlled detangling over a sink), you might shed more than you think...

That is a good point.

Joyful Mystery
September 18th, 2017, 10:43 AM
I shed a lot and I have a thick hemline.

valkyrie90
September 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM
I wish I didn't shed much . I shed like crazy but still have loads of hair somehow. I wonder how much hair I had if I wouldn't shed that much . *sigh*

Stray_mind
September 18th, 2017, 12:05 PM
I keep my hair in a half up, so i only notice some shedding in the morning and in the evening when i take it down. I don't comb my hair. On wash days i lose about 50 hairs at once and it scares me, though i know it's within the normal range.

If you don't shed much, you're lucky :)

lapushka
September 18th, 2017, 01:09 PM
I shed a lot and I have a thick hemline.

The same with me, even though I have a strongly layered up style (and hem).

lapushka
September 18th, 2017, 01:10 PM
I wish I didn't shed much . I shed like crazy but still have loads of hair somehow. I wonder how much hair I had if I wouldn't shed that much . *sigh*

Maybe measure your ponytail circumference (so you can fill out your stats here too), and then keep an eye on that. Like compare it every year or so (it *will* vary season to season, but that is normal, it's normal to have fluctuations). As long as it stays roughly the same year to year, you're fine!

Cherriezzzzz
September 18th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Maybe measure your ponytail circumference (so you can fill out your stats here too), and then keep an eye on that. Like compare it every year or so (it *will* vary season to season, but that is normal, it's normal to have fluctuations). As long as it stays roughly the same year to year, you're fine!

This is very true. I've had a quarter thickness and a dollar coin thickness! I did loooooove it when it was "normal" thick lol

Reyn127
September 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM
I've been collection nearly all (some of them manage to get away) of my sheds since June, and I seem to shed an average of about 15-25 strands per day. I keep my hair up pretty much all the time, so it's easy to track. I thought it was crazy low, but I guess not!