View Full Version : Silicones And Protein Together?

Dark40
September 10th, 2017, 04:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a product question. Can you use silicones after using a protein conditioner?

Aredhel
September 10th, 2017, 04:53 PM
If your hair responds well to both then go for it. My conditioners contain both proteins and cones. :)

Beckstar
September 10th, 2017, 04:56 PM
Sure. Everyone's hair reacts differently and sulfates, silicone, and proteins work great for some and not so great for others.

meteor
September 10th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Sure, why not? The only way to find out is to try and see how your hair responds. ;)
If your hair accumulates build-up from these, you can skip them altogether, rotate products, change combos of products or just use less.
Hydrolyzed proteins can be used as humectants in cosmetics (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/08/mysteries-of-hydrolyzed-proteins.html) and silicones are occlusives, so a combination of the two can be not only strengthening, but also moisturizing and slip-inducing, especially if the hair is damaged. (And arguably, virgin hair tends to need less of both, if any at all, especially if the hair is short enough to have practically no damage.)

Dark40
September 10th, 2017, 05:02 PM
Ok, thank you for your responses. I will definitely give them both a try, and see how my hair responds.

lapushka
September 10th, 2017, 05:06 PM
For sure. I think some protein treatments even have silicones in them. ;)

meteor
September 10th, 2017, 05:37 PM
For sure. I think some protein treatments even have silicones in them. ;)

Oh yes. :agree: Many of them do, very often without explicitly stating that they are protein or silicone products.
In fact, combining proteins and silicones in one conditioner/masque is especially common in products marketed for "damaged" hair. E.g. Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser, Nexxus Humectress, Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, HE Hello Hydration, MoroccanOil Hydrating Conditioner, OGX Macademia Oil, etc etc come to mind, for example...

Dark40
September 10th, 2017, 07:25 PM
Oh yes. :agree: Many of them do, very often without explicitly stating that they are protein or silicone products.
In fact, combining proteins and silicones in one conditioner/masque is especially common in products marketed for "damaged" hair. E.g. Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser, Nexxus Humectress, Joico K-Pak Reconstruct, HE Hello Hydration, MoroccanOil Hydrating Conditioner, OGX Macademia Oil, etc etc come to mind, for example...

Hey, I did not know that products like Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser and Joico K-PAK Reconstruct had silicones and protein in them! I had figured that anything that says it's suppose to repair or reconstruct damaged hair it had protein in it. I also knew that Garnier Fructis products had cones in them as well.

lapushka
September 11th, 2017, 05:17 AM
Hey, I did not know that products like Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser and Joico K-PAK Reconstruct had silicones and protein in them! I had figured that anything that says it's suppose to repair or reconstruct damaged hair it had protein in it. I also knew that Garnier Fructis products had cones in them as well.

Not *all* of them do. You have to check ingredients for that. Some shampoos do not have silicones for instance (can't name one), but most volumizing shampoos do not have silicones, that is across the brands because it's known that silicones can weigh the hair down a tad.

Dark40
September 11th, 2017, 03:23 PM
Not *all* of them do. You have to check ingredients for that. Some shampoos do not have silicones for instance (can't name one), but most volumizing shampoos do not have silicones, that is across the brands because it's known that silicones can weigh the hair down a tad.

Oh, ok. Yes, you're right that silicones do weigh the hair down a tad.