PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? Go back to old products or not

Estrid
September 10th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Did not know what to put in the title, but this is about a new product that I am trying. A new shampoo (Jessicurl cleansing cream).

This shampoo is more gentle than what i've used before, no sulphates. My hair looks quite nice when I wash it with it, I don't lose as much hair as when I wash with a conditioner or cleansing conditioner and I have no frizz crown after I wash with it that I otherwise have after normal shampoos. It makes it shiny and soft, in short: my hair seems to like it.

However, this shampoo makes my hair go greasy faster, which I suppose is not too weird since I'm not stripping it like I did with normal shampoos, but it does result in me having to wash my hair every other day instead of every third day.

Would my hair get used to this product and have me able to stretch to every third day again or would that just be the new reality if I kept on with it, I don't know.

What would you do? Stay with the nice product and have to wash your hair more often, or go back to old stuff?

Ophidian
September 10th, 2017, 10:01 AM
I've found that my hair looks and feels consistently best if I wash more often (for me this is twice a week instead of once) with gentle methods. I think it really comes down to personal preference as long as your scalp is happy. For me, it's worth it to throw in an extra wash and have hair that looks and feels good to me all week than to wash once a week and have it go from stripped to oily with a few good days in between.

Estrid
September 10th, 2017, 10:32 AM
The differences I've been able to see so far (with only a few washes with new product) are:
- that I don't strip the hair (= greasier faster, but also no crown frizz + the hair is shiny and soft)
- the tiny flakes I always had at my hairline and front head are almost completely gone. I suppose that might've been from a dry scalp? Silly me always thought that was dandruff!

I guess you are right, it's better to use good products more often than worse products but less often.

Ophidian
September 10th, 2017, 12:07 PM
I've had a similar experience. Washing more often with gentler stuff has been better for me for sure, but of course what is "better" would vary from person to person :). Can't hurt to try it for a while and see!

lapushka
September 10th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Jessicurl has 2 shampoos; the cleansing cream and another one that is more cleansing, I think. I think it's called the "gentle lather" shampoo. And that one has no sulfates either. Might want to check it out further. Might be the best of both worlds!

Estrid
September 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM
Jessicurl has 2 shampoos; the cleansing cream and another one that is more cleansing, I think. I think it's called the "gentle lather" shampoo. And that one has no sulfates either. Might want to check it out further. Might be the best of both worlds!

I was going to try that one in a few days actually! I got a free sample of it when I purchased the other things.
My hair, however, has never been this frizz free before, and I've used other sulphate free shampoos in the past (and done CO washing). But what do I know, maybe jessicurl got two amazing shampoos :p

Estrid
September 10th, 2017, 12:53 PM
I've had a similar experience. Washing more often with gentler stuff has been better for me for sure, but of course what is "better" would vary from person to person :). Can't hurt to try it for a while and see!

Good to hear :) it's probably worth it for me as well. It feels like a setback with the washes, I always washed every other day until I stretched to every third day a few years ago.

I suppose their other shampoo could be a perfect match like lapushka says, I will try it, if it is I'd be happy, haha, but I doubt it :redgrin: This one I've been trying is the best thing I've tried so far in my life, what are the odds that the other one this brand carry would be even better? We'll see, I guess.

Lady Stardust
September 10th, 2017, 02:16 PM
It might be worth doing a clarifying wash, if you haven't already. I had the same problem when I switched to sulphate free (but a different brand). It settled down after a wash with a sulphate shampoo.

Arciela
September 10th, 2017, 02:28 PM
I usually give things a 2-3 week trial :) After that if I am seeing bad results I will go back to default routine :flower:

lapushka
September 10th, 2017, 02:53 PM
I was going to try that one in a few days actually! I got a free sample of it when I purchased the other things.
My hair, however, has never been this frizz free before, and I've used other sulphate free shampoos in the past (and done CO washing). But what do I know, maybe jessicurl got two amazing shampoos :p

I have had them both. In my experience, the gentle lather was a better fit, and it still provided frizz-free hair. At the time my SD didn't come back to haunt me, not with the cleansing cream and not with the gentle lather, so I suppose it's not as gentle as it seems (my SD is always a good barometer).

MusicalSpoons
September 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM
I'm actually having a similar dilemma - I found an amazing sulphate-free shampoo that cleaned brilliantly, and often let me wash on day 3 instead of day 2, but my scalp was always dried out. Then that shampoo disappeared, so I switched to a milder one that my scalp seems to be reasonably happy with, but I never get to day 3 now. The previous shampoo has since reappeared, so I too am considering whether to switch back.

It is a good idea to stick with your current product for a while, to be sure - your scalp might possibly adjust. If it doesn't, you always have the option to compromise, maybe alternating them, or even scalp washing sometimes instead of a full wash, once your hair is long enough for you to do so. Ultimately it's up to you what is 'better' overall for your hair and scalp :) (but seeking advice is never a bad idea!)

Kellylee
September 10th, 2017, 05:55 PM
I would go back and forth between the two. Every other wash use your old stuff.

spidermom
September 10th, 2017, 06:59 PM
I would alternate products.

Dark40
September 10th, 2017, 07:30 PM
In order for my hair to look it's best I have wash more frequently too with more gentler stuff. But I also still love my old stuff as well. I used to love the old Pantene Pro-V Shampoos and Conditioners from the early 1990's. I also loved the way they smelled too!:)

Anje
September 10th, 2017, 07:33 PM
I'd ride it out, see if your sebum production adjusts. (Some people adapt and reduce their production with milder washing, some don't. Hard to know which category you fall into unless you've messed around with that for a while.) If your scalp gets angry, go back to old products that kept it happy, but from the sound of it, your scalp is liking this. So stick it out and see what happens. More frequent washes with something that keeps your scalp happier aren't the end of the world.

Estrid
September 11th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Thank you all for your replies! :o

It might be worth doing a clarifying wash, if you haven't already. I had the same problem when I switched to sulphate free (but a different brand). It settled down after a wash with a sulphate shampoo.

I never used products that cause build up on my hair previous to these (that I've only used a few times so far) so I doubt this is build up, it just feels like sebum. But thank you for the suggestion! I do have a sulphate shampoo that i used yesterday (with nothing that build up in it) and my hair is back to its normal frizzy self :p

I usually give things a 2-3 week trial :) After that if I am seeing bad results I will go back to default routine :flower:
A 2-3 week trial does sound like a good time to try something out! I don't know if the size bottle I got is enough for that many washes, and the sample I had for the other shampoo that lapushka mentioned I think would only last for one wash. I could get bigger sized ones, but I'm so tempted to get the one with a pump since I'm having some issues getting product out of these other bottles, so it would be nice to know which one I prefer. I suppose I have to buy the middle size before settling with a big one, haha.

I have had them both. In my experience, the gentle lather was a better fit, and it still provided frizz-free hair. At the time my SD didn't come back to haunt me, not with the cleansing cream and not with the gentle lather, so I suppose it's not as gentle as it seems (my SD is always a good barometer).

That's good to know, maybe it would be a better fit for me too. I think I will try the sample next time I wash my hair, hopefully it's enough in that little portion for me to feel that I do it "good enough", I always use too much shampoo but it's because it feels like my hair eats it! Will probably have to buy a little bottle to try it out better.

I'm actually having a similar dilemma - I found an amazing sulphate-free shampoo that cleaned brilliantly, and often let me wash on day 3 instead of day 2, but my scalp was always dried out. Then that shampoo disappeared, so I switched to a milder one that my scalp seems to be reasonably happy with, but I never get to day 3 now. The previous shampoo has since reappeared, so I too am considering whether to switch back.

It is a good idea to stick with your current product for a while, to be sure - your scalp might possibly adjust. If it doesn't, you always have the option to compromise, maybe alternating them, or even scalp washing sometimes instead of a full wash, once your hair is long enough for you to do so. Ultimately it's up to you what is 'better' overall for your hair and scalp :) (but seeking advice is never a bad idea!)

I think I will "try it out" without interruption for a few weeks, like you say. I'll have to get a new bottle but I guess that's okay x) It does feel like my scalp should get used to it.

On the bus yesterday I noticed that a lot of people with "normal hair" (not frizzy like mine usually is) seem to walk around with hair that looks about the same as my third day hair (the day I wash it with this shampoo), but I'm not used to my hair looking like that, so to me it's definitely greasy. Maybe it is something I should just get used to?

I would go back and forth between the two. Every other wash use your old stuff.

I would alternate products.

You two got the same suggestion :p I don't know if I would want to alternate, I did wash with my normal shampoo last time and now I'm a frizzball again. Would be great if my scalp would be OK with only washing with this new shampoo every third days (aka get used to it and not get so greasy), so I will give that some time first. If it doesn't work I guess alternating products would be an option!

In order for my hair to look it's best I have wash more frequently too with more gentler stuff. But I also still love my old stuff as well. I used to love the old Pantene Pro-V Shampoos and Conditioners from the early 1990's. I also loved the way they smelled too!:)

Alright :) I will give these two shampoos more time and see how it goes, hopefully my scalp adjusts, else I guess I'll have to make a choice, if I want to wash that frequently, if I want to go back to old products or if I should alternate. Atm I'm leaning towards just living with every other day washing if that is how it ends up.

I'd ride it out, see if your sebum production adjusts. (Some people adapt and reduce their production with milder washing, some don't. Hard to know which category you fall into unless you've messed around with that for a while.) If your scalp gets angry, go back to old products that kept it happy, but from the sound of it, your scalp is liking this. So stick it out and see what happens. More frequent washes with something that keeps your scalp happier aren't the end of the world.

I agree that it's hard to know. CO washing never did this to me, but I suppose those might've been more cleansing than this shampoo (which is a bit strange).
I'll do that, will be interesting to see what happens after a while :) If my scalp never change how it behaves to this product I think I could live with washing it every other day. I've had dry flakes for over 15 years and here I suddenly am without them, I think that probably makes it worth it, if not for the frizz-free-ness!

Jo Ann
September 11th, 2017, 10:36 PM
I researched on here before trying an SLS-free shampoo and non-cone conditioner. So far, I've had no problems with the switch--even kept my same wash schedule and routine (WCC). I kept my "old" products, though, in case I got the itchies--it's been two weeks since my switch and so far so good! My new routine might be non-SLS WCC three weeks and once a month use the SLS shampoo and coney conditioners to keep my scalp happy.

Dark40
June 1st, 2018, 08:53 PM
I've found that my hair looks and feels consistently best if I wash more often (for me this is twice a week instead of once) with gentle methods. I think it really comes down to personal preference as long as your scalp is happy. For me, it's worth it to throw in an extra wash and have hair that looks and feels good to me all week than to wash once a week and have it go from stripped to oily with a few good days in between.

Me too. I always notice a big difference in when I don't wash my hair enough it looks and feels gross. I also feel that when i co-wash it with conditioner more than using shampoo it looks and feels much better than it does if I use shampoo during every wash.

Dark40
June 1st, 2018, 08:57 PM
Thank you all for your replies! :o

I never used products that cause build up on my hair previous to these (that I've only used a few times so far) so I doubt this is build up, it just feels like sebum. But thank you for the suggestion! I do have a sulphate shampoo that i used yesterday (with nothing that build up in it) and my hair is back to its normal frizzy self :p

A 2-3 week trial does sound like a good time to try something out! I don't know if the size bottle I got is enough for that many washes, and the sample I had for the other shampoo that lapushka mentioned I think would only last for one wash. I could get bigger sized ones, but I'm so tempted to get the one with a pump since I'm having some issues getting product out of these other bottles, so it would be nice to know which one I prefer. I suppose I have to buy the middle size before settling with a big one, haha.

That's good to know, maybe it would be a better fit for me too. I think I will try the sample next time I wash my hair, hopefully it's enough in that little portion for me to feel that I do it "good enough", I always use too much shampoo but it's because it feels like my hair eats it! Will probably have to buy a little bottle to try it out better.

I think I will "try it out" without interruption for a few weeks, like you say. I'll have to get a new bottle but I guess that's okay x) It does feel like my scalp should get used to it.

On the bus yesterday I noticed that a lot of people with "normal hair" (not frizzy like mine usually is) seem to walk around with hair that looks about the same as my third day hair (the day I wash it with this shampoo), but I'm not used to my hair looking like that, so to me it's definitely greasy. Maybe it is something I should just get used to?

You two got the same suggestion :p I don't know if I would want to alternate, I did wash with my normal shampoo last time and now I'm a frizzball again. Would be great if my scalp would be OK with only washing with this new shampoo every third days (aka get used to it and not get so greasy), so I will give that some time first. If it doesn't work I guess alternating products would be an option!

Alright :) I will give these two shampoos more time and see how it goes, hopefully my scalp adjusts, else I guess I'll have to make a choice, if I want to wash that frequently, if I want to go back to old products or if I should alternate. Atm I'm leaning towards just living with every other day washing if that is how it ends up.

I agree that it's hard to know. CO washing never did this to me, but I suppose those might've been more cleansing than this shampoo (which is a bit strange).
I'll do that, will be interesting to see what happens after a while :) If my scalp never change how it behaves to this product I think I could live with washing it every other day. I've had dry flakes for over 15 years and here I suddenly am without them, I think that probably makes it worth it, if not for the frizz-free-ness!

Yeah, I know whatcha mean about about Atm to stick with the washing every other day. I'm still doing that as well too. Now, some weeks I'll decide to wash every single day, and then some other weeks I'll wash only 3 times a week. Or, every other day. I don't know where you live but I don't think you'll be able to find the Pantene Pro-V Shampoos and Conditioners from the early 1990s. They may not be available in your country but it doesn't hurt to look.