PDA

View Full Version : Let's try this again...

Rebelkat
October 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I originally joined LHC in the spring to start my journey to beautiful, healthy knee-length hair after losing about 1/2" in ponytail circumference post back surgery. Well, all was well in the beginning. I stopped flat-ironing my hair, started using a comb instead of a brush, stopped using commercial shampoo and began using a poo-bar, taking vitamins, and drinking copious amounts of water. I also was taking excellent care of my diabetes, knowing that regulating my bloodsugar would help maintain healthy hair. My hair began to thicken back up and look much better.

Then tragedy struck. My aunt died of ovarian cancer and I started neglecting my diabetes and my healthier nutritional habits. This only got worse when my cat died. As a result, I started losing hair again. So, I've cut back to the length I was when I discovered LHC, and while my ends are thinner than when I started, I realize that it's not such a bad place to start. I would like to thank Cinnamon Hair for documenting her progress so well on her site because it gives me hope to see someone whose hair started out looking like mine end up with hair that turned out so splendidly. Even though I've had some setbacks, I feel like my dream of healthy knee-length hair may actually be attainable. So folks, let's try this again... :thumbsup:

ChloeDharma
October 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM
I shall definately be rooting for you! I have type 1 diabetes and know how hard it can be to keep it under control. It's really effected my thickness and a period of terrible control leading to being hospitalised with severe DKA left me with a fracton of the hair i used to have.
The good news is that with care it does thicken up again. I know you know this....but hairloss is really the least nasty complication that can come from diabetes.....but it does help to let you know whether you are doing ok with it or not.
I'm sorry for the loss of your loved ones and hope that life starts to settle down for you soon....stress and diabetes are really not a good combination.

AprilElf
October 28th, 2008, 06:02 AM
You know what you want, and this is the best place to get the support and help to achieve that! Good on you, and all the best! :flower:

Silver & Gold
October 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your setbacks and very real personal losses. It's very encouraging to read of your positive attitude. Because no matter where any of us ever ends up, attitude is everything.

Islandgrrl
October 28th, 2008, 09:06 AM
I'm sure your dream of knee length hair is attainable! Take good care with your diabetes. It's really the most important thing you can do for yourself. The hair will come.

My younger sister has type 1 diabetes. When we were in college, she had gorgeous curly red hair that was about tailbone length. Like you, she had some difficulties that set her back a bit, hair-wise - she lost about 1/3 of her hair. Once she got the diabetes under control, she decided to take a break year from school and went to live in Ireland for a year. She came back with the most incredible knee length hair I've ever seen in my life. She inspired me to grow my crazy hair long. And her best advice to me was, "Hair grows. Leave it alone."

I am sorry to hear of your losses. :grouphug: