PDA

View Full Version : Straightening my waist length curls

vega
September 7th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Hi guys
A friend bought me the Dafni straightening brush , I normally never have used heat, I really loved the results sleek smooth and managlbe hair,question is I don't want to damage my hair either, but since I straightened my curls I've had no knots and comb out only took 1 minute , do you think it will be OK to straighten once a month?

raemarthe
September 7th, 2017, 06:35 PM
It depends how strong your hair is. Its going to give you at least some damage. If you are planning on maintaining at waist and take good care of your hair you might be able to handle it. Keep in behind when ever you use heat it will damage your hair no matter what, but you might be able to keep it from affecting your hair too awfully if you do frequent trims and deep condition a lot. Basically of you're planning on growing longer I would try to keep the heat to a minimum or it could hinder your growth. I'm not 100% against heat, once I get to a length I'm comfortable with I'm going to start maintaining and straightening once in a while.

vega
September 7th, 2017, 06:50 PM
Thanks Raemarthe I'm looking at pros and cons , I was 100% natural, in saying that I also experienced breakage due to curlieness and knotting ,straightening eliminated all this ,I'm hoping to only straightening every few months

animetor7
September 7th, 2017, 06:55 PM
If you are going to be using heat regularly make sure you also get a good heat protectant. It won't stop all of the damage obviously, but it can help protect your hair some. You might also consider following up with more protein and moisturizing treatments as well just to again minimize damage as much as possible. Protecting it as much as possible is going to be important if you decide to use heat regularly, especially as I see your hair type is F/M which given some fine qualities to it can be more delicate. Good luck!! :)

lithostoic
September 7th, 2017, 06:59 PM
If you wrap your hair with a scarf at night you can keep it straight longer :)

vega
September 7th, 2017, 07:10 PM
Good tips animetor and litho, Im just so time poor these days to maintain hair with work and life , I straightened my hair 5 days ago and Still straight and smooth , I couldn't believe how much managable my now is I haven't had one knot or tangle my hair straight is to my tail bone so I've also gained more length

Ondine11
September 7th, 2017, 08:12 PM
It shouldn't be a problem. Use a heat protectant, & invest in a silk pillow case. Your hair will thank you.

lapushka
September 8th, 2017, 05:51 AM
Well brush or straightener, it is the same, it is still heat and heat is going to damage, whether you "only" do it once a month or no. Do use a heat protectant :!: and be on the look-out for white dots that form sharp angles up the strand, sure sign you should cut back. For sure.

Have fun with your hair, because that's the most important, after all. :flower:

vega
September 9th, 2017, 07:00 PM
How long should I keep my hair straightened? New to this

Lynn of Many
September 9th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Using a heat protectant and minimal straightening once a month should be fine. What is the point of long hair if you can't enjoy styling it every once on awhile? 😊 Go as long as you can/want until your next wash. I'm a wavy, but by day 3 my hair would get pretty blah looking when it was straightened and I had to wash it (but that could be from the bleach damage too...)

I don't know the device you are talking about but can you control the temperature? If so, I'd start out on a lower setting and see if that works for you. I used to set my flat iron straight to 400 degrees, it would have saved me so much damage if I'd have started at 250 or 300 instead.

lapushka
September 10th, 2017, 04:49 AM
How long should I keep my hair straightened? New to this

For as long as it takes/holds and stays oil-free, I guess. You just have to watch when it gets oily.

ShahMat
September 16th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Using flat iron, even just once a month, will eventually cause some damage. That said, I think it's important to enjoy your hair while it's growing so if you want to straighten it from time to time, so be it !