PDA

View Full Version : Getting wavy hair with braids

karenkte
September 7th, 2017, 03:19 PM
First just a massive thank you as I have learnt so much on this forum and it's made a huge difference in how I care for my hair and also I'm gaining length which is amazing.

I have been sleeping with one braid on my silk pillow and not washing my hair so much. The effect when I undo these each morning is beautiful wavy hair. However I only braid sort of in a ponytail....just one braid that starts at my neck and goes down.

I'd like to know how I can get much more all over waves. Do I have to do some kind of braid at night much higher up my head...or maybe two braids. Can anyone point me in the right direction and if I'm on the right lines could I have some simple instruction how to do this.

I never realised until reading on here how much I could change the appearance of my hair by sleeping in a braid.

meteor
September 7th, 2017, 03:32 PM
I'd like to know how I can get much more all over waves. Do I have to do some kind of braid at night much higher up my head...or maybe two braids. Can anyone point me in the right direction and if I'm on the right lines could I have some simple instruction how to do this.

Yup! :agree: The higher up you start your braiding, the higher up the waves will begin and the more root volume you'll get at the roots. Think Dutch/French braids or, if you can't do those, use smaller English braids going into bigger English braids (like the braid-in-braid technique used in the Ellingwoman braided bun and Amish bun).

And if you want tighter waves, do multiple braids. And you can create "crimped" effect if you do lots of really small braids.

2 or 3 braids overnight is more than enough for me to satisfy my love for waves, but you may want to play with the number of braids you want to get the effect you need. And try it on slightly damp hair: wet hair may not dry in time at all, while completely dry hair may not hold the wave so well. If you don't want to use gel or mousse or hairspray, using a bit of diluted conditioner can be nice for light hold, too, it can work kind of like a setting cream.

The ends may be a bit harder to curl when you do braids overnight, so you could try this twirly bun by torrinpaige (I'd start with rope-braided bun instead of cinnabun though) to get curlier ends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrccwkQUOhQ
Another option is to use some pins at the ends or perm papers at the ends, like torrinpaige does here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4

And if you want more "spiral-like" waves rather than "mermaid hair", I'd go for rope braids or bandanna (figure- 8 waves: https://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/bandana-waves/

spidermom
September 7th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Try putting a ponytail right at the top of your head, then braiding. Don't put the pony-tie in too tight or it will create a crease. Braid all the way to the ends as best you can.

Ondine11
September 7th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I love braid waves. They've helped me break my heat styling habit. You can get overall waves by separating your damp hair into two sections, & making two French braids on either side of your part. Begin braiding from the front hairline. Leave it dry overnight. In the morning, you'll have full, shiny waves.