PDA

View Full Version : Curling Iron

adrenaline
September 5th, 2017, 01:22 PM
Hey everyone! I was running the search, but didn't find a similar thread.

I know, the most of you avoid heat. Now, my hair is longer than i want them to be - I was considering to cut them shorter, but instead, i am ready to enjoy some nice curls made with the curling iron ;) So, i bought one. (It isn't tragic for me to damage my tips since i want to cut them in a few months anyway!)

I bought a curling iron of the brand BaByliss, 32 mm. I think, i want them like this
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9e/81/fa/9e81faf0618cb58acd27529e6c87b663.jpg

Instead, this is what i got:

http://i64.tinypic.com/2w2ho3p.jpg

Huge waves, not any different from my natural texture ... BIG FAIL.
Does anyone know what kind of curling iron i need to use?
Also, what i did consider: is my hair maybe too heavy to make such cute curls ? What do you think? :(

spidermom
September 5th, 2017, 02:06 PM
The longer my hair got, the less well it would hold curl. I could get something like the above when rolling my hair damp on medium sponge rollers and letting it dry like that overnight, but the curls fell out within an hour. BSL and shorter, my hair holds a curl very well.

I don't think the curling iron is going to help you much.

Alibran
September 5th, 2017, 03:27 PM
How long is your hair? Waist? I've got 3b hair, and the weight pulls the curl out at waist length. I can't imagine 'artificial' curls will hold.

Chromis
September 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM
No help on the curling irons, but it looks like you will need to host your photos somewhere like Flickr or Imgur for us to see them. (I did replace the hotlinks on your first photo since we are not allowed here to hotlink to photos that aren't ours as an fyi, but I couldn't fix yours, sorry!)

lapushka
September 5th, 2017, 04:23 PM
I thought I was the only one who couldn't see pictures.

If you don't care about damaging your hair, and are eager to cut it off anyway, go right ahead, but just make sure your hair is dry through and through before attempting curls. Good luck! I have a curling iron and straightener from Braun in my arsenal as well, I got a 1.5 inch curling iron. Never used it since I gave up heat, but it's there should I ever need it.

Cherriezzzzz
September 5th, 2017, 05:50 PM
Morrocainoil curl defining cream has a ton of hold and protection against the heat! Lasts me over night too!

divinedobbie
September 5th, 2017, 05:57 PM
I don't think a 32mm barrel is enough, it needs to be big to achieve those more relaxed curls although with longer hair it might relax like that anyway. My recommendations to try would be to curl in big sections, and once you curl the section roll it back up with your fingers and pin it to your head, (hairspray if you want) and let it cool in this position for atleast 10-15 minutes!

adrenaline
September 6th, 2017, 03:40 AM
First, thank you for your answers! :blossom:

Thank you, Chromis, for replacing. I didn't see the pictures on my phone, either. I uploaded one of them on tinypic*, do you see this one now?

* unfortunately, i don't know how to delete them later there. But i think, maybe this is ok, since my face is not recognizable on this one. Thank you for mentioning flickr and imgur, I will explore them later and maybe I will start using them.

Alibran, my hair is at hip now. I think my current comfort length is waist, so I will cut them soon (i think, in 1-2 months.) Sad to hear, that they might be really too heavy for this :(

Thank you, lapushka and Cherriezzzzz, for the tips. I will try them out! One thing I noticed yesterday, frizz is completely vanishing after using the heat. My soft waves were so shiny and smooth, this was really cool!

... although with longer hair it might relax like that anyway.
This is my fear :( Thanks for the tip! I'll try it today :)

OhSuzi
September 6th, 2017, 04:15 AM
The big wavy curls in your pic were beautiful!
I note the ladies pic her curls were like ringlets, but only at the very end of her hair- where it should hold cause it's lighter - only the the top end of your hair is where the weight is.

If you're trying to recreate her hair
1 its in a pony - so I'd try and get it in a pony tail before curling the sections & I'd use a strong bunjee chord that can hold the weight of your hair.
2 she's prob got mousse / curling creme / hair spray all kinds of holdy curly products on to keep em there
3 Id take a section from the pony tail, make a basic effort to curl the top (Heavier end), just to add some texture & wave
and put all my efforts into strong ringletty curl in the bottom third of the section.
Plus it depends on the size of your heated barrel roll if its 4 ins in diameter its never gonna make super tight fine curls
Plus it depend on how much hair you try to curl in each section - too thin its gonna look flimsy & frazzled to fat a section of hair & the heats gonna struggle to reach it all & acheive the style you want.

Plus its a static picture - so maybe her hair looks perfect but it dropped 30 mins later or she went out in the rain & the curls instantly disappeared.

You could also try sticking hair in pony making it damp adding whatever products & wrapping sections round coke can or whatever desired width type rollers & sleeping in it over night / again blasting it with the heat from hair dryer - that might give you more of a ringletty hold

Also if you have about £30 to spare go to a decent hair dressers ask em to recreate the style - they should be able to get something similar & tell you how they did it recommend products that will hold the curl.