PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Here Predominately Wear Braids Down Daily?

kittengirl
September 5th, 2017, 11:45 AM
My hair is nearly waist now and I am starting to have trouble wearing it up. My head is very tender and anything heavy or pulling at all gives me a headache. I love wearing a single braid, and have to when I get a headache, but I worry about damage. My braids are always fuzzy since I do have layers by choice but honestly I have fewer split and broken hairs now than I have in a long time. Any thoughts? Anyone else in the same boat?

ETA Does not help I have just outgrown my big claw clip and I have trouble getting forks and sticks in so they hold but are not too tight.

stachelbeere
September 5th, 2017, 11:56 AM
*raises hand* me... and I think it is definitely contributing to lot's of split ends, breakage etc. I actually switch between a braid and a bun on a daily basis. My hair is at around hip now.

Dark40
September 5th, 2017, 11:58 AM
I do. I braid my hair ins two every night. Just started this method three nights ago. I also take my braids down daily.

Anje
September 5th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Not anymore, but I went for several years wearing predominantly braids. Buns and my car headrest did not get along, and I had a long commute. My hair didn't seem to suffer for it and kept getting longer. It's worth mentioning that the braid almost always sat over one shoulder, which saved it from a lot of friction.

Dark40
September 5th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Braids do save your hair friction and getting tangled.

kittengirl
September 5th, 2017, 12:31 PM
*raises hand* me... and I think it is definitely contributing to lot's of split ends, breakage etc. I actually switch between a braid and a bun on a daily basis. My hair is at around hip now.

I am a bit worried about the damage, not much I can do when my head hurts, though.

I do. I braid my hair ins two every night. Just started this method three nights ago. I also take my braids down daily.

I seem to do better with a night braid than I do with a sleeping cap, honestly, less tangles.

Not anymore, but I went for several years wearing predominantly braids. Buns and my car headrest did not get along, and I had a long commute. My hair didn't seem to suffer for it and kept getting longer. It's worth mentioning that the braid almost always sat over one shoulder, which saved it from a lot of friction.

That is good to know! I always put my braid over the shoulder in car so it doesn't hit the back of the seat. I think when my hair was this long before I didn't know about wearing it up so I did not realize how heavy it would be!

Alibran
September 5th, 2017, 12:42 PM
I grew my hair to TBL while wearing it almost exclusively in braids because I had exactly the same problem with updos. I didn't have any problems with the hemline thinning, although I did have some splits that were mostly due to only trimming once every year or two. With the best will in the world. some damage is going to happen.

Have you tried crown braids? I'm practising my braiding skills as it grows this time because I think they will distribute the weight better when it gets long, and enable me to wear it up comfortably.

lithostoic
September 5th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Me! Almost always braided.

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 5th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Me, but I think I get damage from it. The tassel rubs against things no matter what but I get headaches from buns usually. Plus they rub against the car headrest when I commute. So either way my hair experiences friction. I think the braids are breaking my ends though.. I need to learn how to bun without giving myself a headache.

pili
September 5th, 2017, 01:34 PM
I didn't but my sis grew her hair from shoulder to BCL wearing a French braid. We were young, but my mom would braid it every morning and then she'd sleep in it and only take it do n to redo it the next day.

raemarthe
September 5th, 2017, 02:12 PM
My hair is braided almost everyday. If it's not down it's most likely in some kind of braid.

MlleMC
September 5th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I wear them at least half the time (at the very least every day I can use my bike because of the helmet). I didn't even learn to do good buns until my hair was past tailbone length, and before that I wore braids almost daily for a few years. I'm always aware where my braid is, but I'm honestly not too worried about damage. Of course updos might be better, but how I see it is that if they're impractical for my lifestyle, they're not a good option.

Shorty89
September 5th, 2017, 05:28 PM
There's a thread somewhere on the Mane forum somewhere for those who braid most of the time (and don't bun). You'd fit right in there. :)

Stub
September 5th, 2017, 09:38 PM
one or two tight braids everyday, and a looser braid for sleep, for years. I'm always studying the braid shreds for splits, but super rarely ever find even one. I bun the braid(s) for my night job in a restaurant kitchen.

sanguinebread
September 5th, 2017, 10:04 PM
I generally go through periods of braiding most of the time or bunning most of the time, and I've been braiding for about the last year. Though I finally figured out my headache issues could be resolved by using a hair stick instead so my hair's secured better, so I might switch. (I think there are several threads on resolving headaches from bunning if that's what you want, although I don't have links handy.)

If you don't, though, I don't think that braids are really particularly worse than buns; you get small amounts of damage with basically everything in different places. If you're worried about the ends, I know parandas (in colors that match your hair if necessary) can be used to protect your ends, as can doubling your braid over if it's long enough.

akurah
September 5th, 2017, 10:25 PM
I am finding that updos are uncomfortable lately. I'm unsure if length or slip or weight is the culprit. If I bun too tight I have a headache within the hour and if I bun loose enough for no headache, it's falling out in almost the same amount of time. The ficarres I used to wear regular are suddenly too heavy for me to get comfortable.

I stopped caring a lot about damage awhile ago (I don't S&D either, but I will snip especially gnarly splits) so for me at least, it doesn't matter if I switch to a braid. I'm hoping in a few years I'm not kicking my own butt for not caring about damage :lol:

kittengirl
September 5th, 2017, 10:33 PM
I grew my hair to TBL while wearing it almost exclusively in braids because I had exactly the same problem with updos. I didn't have any problems with the hemline thinning, although I did have some splits that were mostly due to only trimming once every year or two. With the best will in the world. some damage is going to happen.

Have you tried crown braids? I'm practising my braiding skills as it grows this time because I think they will distribute the weight better when it gets long, and enable me to wear it up comfortably.

I've tried crown braids but I am REALLY bad at them. Maybe with more practice I could master them.....

Me, but I think I get damage from it. The tassel rubs against things no matter what but I get headaches from buns usually. Plus they rub against the car headrest when I commute. So either way my hair experiences friction. I think the braids are breaking my ends though.. I need to learn how to bun without giving myself a headache.

Yeah that's the trouble I have, but I have been using silk scrunchies (little thin ones) on the ends so that seems to be helping.

I didn't but my sis grew her hair from shoulder to BCL wearing a French braid. We were young, but my mom would braid it every morning and then she'd sleep in it and only take it do n to redo it the next day.

Yay more encouraging stories! I like those! :p

I wear them at least half the time (at the very least every day I can use my bike because of the helmet). I didn't even learn to do good buns until my hair was past tailbone length, and before that I wore braids almost daily for a few years. I'm always aware where my braid is, but I'm honestly not too worried about damage. Of course updos might be better, but how I see it is that if they're impractical for my lifestyle, they're not a good option.

I know, I was so paranoid then I realized I have to do what works for me, otherwise there's no point to having long hair.

There's a thread somewhere on the Mane forum somewhere for those who braid most of the time (and don't bun). You'd fit right in there. :)
I found a couple and got a few good ideas!

one or two tight braids everyday, and a looser braid for sleep, for years. I'm always studying the braid shreds for splits, but super rarely ever find even one. I bun the braid(s) for my night job in a restaurant kitchen.
Yeah I 've been looking for splits lately but have much less than when I was bunning with a fork every day.

I generally go through periods of braiding most of the time or bunning most of the time, and I've been braiding for about the last year. Though I finally figured out my headache issues could be resolved by using a hair stick instead so my hair's secured better, so I might switch. (I think there are several threads on resolving headaches from bunning if that's what you want, although I don't have links handy.)

If you don't, though, I don't think that braids are really particularly worse than buns; you get small amounts of damage with basically everything in different places. If you're worried about the ends, I know parandas (in colors that match your hair if necessary) can be used to protect your ends, as can doubling your braid over if it's long enough.
I have been thinking about parandas today. I used to do yarn ones but they dried out my hair, then I saw a thread where someone suggested recycled sari silk ones so I plan to get some of that in the near future. I want some bright colored ones!!
How do you double a braid over and get it to stay?

I am finding that updos are uncomfortable lately. I'm unsure if length or slip or weight is the culprit. If I bun too tight I have a headache within the hour and if I bun loose enough for no headache, it's falling out in almost the same amount of time. The ficarres I used to wear regular are suddenly too heavy for me to get comfortable.

I stopped caring a lot about damage awhile ago (I don't S&D either, but I will snip especially gnarly splits) so for me at least, it doesn't matter if I switch to a braid. I'm hoping in a few years I'm not kicking my own butt for not caring about damage :lol:
I had to lighten up about damage as well. I have an obsessive personality and my hair was becoming too stressful trying to keep it perfect. I got layers cut into it so it has more shape and though I am still growing (and pretty quick lately) I plan to trim from time to time and that took a lot of stress off. After all if I don't enjoy it it becomes a burden so I had to change up the way I look at it.

kittengirl
September 5th, 2017, 10:34 PM
Thanks so much to everyone who has answered so far. If I missed responding to anyone I'm sorry...I'm trying to keep up with responses with tired mommy brain. The tiny 7 week old sleep-stealer is next to me. :p

sanguinebread
September 5th, 2017, 11:07 PM
I have been thinking about parandas today. I used to do yarn ones but they dried out my hair, then I saw a thread where someone suggested recycled sari silk ones so I plan to get some of that in the near future. I want some bright colored ones!!
How do you double a braid over and get it to stay?

I've never tried it myself, only seen photos, but generally they're tied at several places over the length and at the top where the base of the braid and the end are doubled together. Not necessarily with elastics, but with string or something.

It occurred to me as an option that would remove the friction issues with tassels, and I was thinking about trying it if I find braids obnoxious closer to my goal. Right now, though, I am kind of vain about braid length and would want it to be a lot longer before I'd feel okay leaving the house like that.

Good luck with the sari parandas! I've seen people who used silk embroidery thread for parandas, too. That might be an option that dries your hair out less than yarn and is cheaper to try out.

PrincessAralin
September 6th, 2017, 02:34 AM
I wear an english braid basically every minute I'm not working, and when I'm working I wear a braided nautilus bun. I've been a daily braider since I was a kid so I don't really know if it makes my hair more or less damaged.

Simsy
September 6th, 2017, 06:02 AM
If I'm working on the truck during week, I'm wearing 2 Dutch braids with the tails pinned or sewn around the outside of my head.

During the weekend, I'm usually in either a loose rope braid for drying purposes or a English braid of varying looseness for sleeping.

kittengirl
September 6th, 2017, 10:18 AM
I've never tried it myself, only seen photos, but generally they're tied at several places over the length and at the top where the base of the braid and the end are doubled together. Not necessarily with elastics, but with string or something.

It occurred to me as an option that would remove the friction issues with tassels, and I was thinking about trying it if I find braids obnoxious closer to my goal. Right now, though, I am kind of vain about braid length and would want it to be a lot longer before I'd feel okay leaving the house like that.

Good luck with the sari parandas! I've seen people who used silk embroidery thread for parandas, too. That might be an option that dries your hair out less than yarn and is cheaper to try out.

Embroidery thread is a good idea! I may have to test that!

kittengirl
September 6th, 2017, 10:21 AM
I wear an english braid basically every minute I'm not working, and when I'm working I wear a braided nautilus bun. I've been a daily braider since I was a kid so I don't really know if it makes my hair more or less damaged.
Well your hair is gorgeous so obviously not too damaging!

If I'm working on the truck during week, I'm wearing 2 Dutch braids with the tails pinned or sewn around the outside of my head.

During the weekend, I'm usually in either a loose rope braid for drying purposes or a English braid of varying looseness for sleeping.
I really want to master rope braids they are so pretty! I'm so encouraged to see so many daily braiders!!

Simsy
September 7th, 2017, 05:45 AM
Well your hair is gorgeous so obviously not too damaging!

I really want to master rope braids they are so pretty! I'm so encouraged to see so many daily braiders!!

I do 2-strand rope braids. I have a photo of a 3-strand version in my album on my profile, but it looks very similar to the much easier 2-strand version. I twist both strands one way; usually over one shoulder and away from my face, then twist them together the other way; usually twisting back towards my face. I twist as I go, so the twist doesn't slip loose and stays nice and tidy.

Interestingly, I can only rope braid in one direction. My hands don't like to cooperate going the other direction.

Aredhel
September 7th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I can't wear braids often because my hair is so fine and flyaway that the braid frays within an hour or so of wearing it. Plus my ends always wind up looking really ratty for some reason.

RedStripe
September 7th, 2017, 11:41 AM
I wear a bun on most working days, but for casual times a single English braid is my usual go-to. I also braid at night. I haven't been troubled with breakage in a long time.

Andthetalltrees
September 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM
Me! Well I go through phases, sometimes I wear braids all the time and other times just loose. I really don't worry about damage much either, But I know my hair is resilient. I honestly can't stand buns and I don't think that will ever change

cowgirllong
September 7th, 2017, 05:32 PM
I wear my hair braided every day because I can't wear my hat if it is in a bun. I don't notice any damage that I could blame on it being braided. I vary where I tie it and what I use to tie it. Mostly I use a short piece of fold over elastic, but sometimes I use nothing. It will generally stay braided without a tie. And I put coconut oil on the last 4-5 inches every day.

stachelbeere
September 8th, 2017, 03:13 PM
I forgot to mention that 90% of the time I wear a French (sort of 'side') braid which goes over my left shoulder and the right side of my hem is definitely a bit longer than the left. The hem isn't as full as it could be... But I did manage to grow to hip (and decided to maintain here) so it is possible, you just have to see if you're willing to pay the price 😊

lunalocks
September 8th, 2017, 04:38 PM
I had to stop wearing a french braid, which was my daily go to, at about waist. The braid rubbed on everything, the ends were getting tattered and I worried about the damage the tie was doing. Now I braid and wrap it around my head as an alternative to the other buns I do. My hair is up about 98% of the time.

Try spin pins. They will hold a loosish bun and you can distribute the weight over a large area of your head and this could help you feel more comfortable.