PDA

View Full Version : Extreme length or extreme thickness, what'd you rather go for?

valkyrie90
September 5th, 2017, 05:00 AM
It's time for a new thread , ladies . I'm new in here and I see all the length-goal threads. So I wonder what you guys would go for if you guys could archive ONLY ONE of these two : extreme length and extreme thickness. Maybe it's just me but I'd go for extreme thickness. Growing up I never embrace it enough . As a kid I used to get my hair trim as thin as possible. But actually I love to have as much has possible to play with. I side shaved my hair and didn't regret it but I truly miss the thickness. I'd drop floor-length for some extra hair on my head . I also have the not long enough syndrome but it's not as severe as my thickness syndrome haha. Still debating on which hair length I should go for. Maybe WL first then I"ll see.

Dendra
September 5th, 2017, 05:24 AM
I've always been more focussed on hair health than hair length, so I would drop extreme length goals for a healthy head of hair, and if that means thick then so be it!

Simsy
September 5th, 2017, 05:30 AM
I would go for length. I have thick hair and it tends to get frustrating for a number of reasons.

diddiedaisy
September 5th, 2017, 06:10 AM
Being a thin finey I would go for thickness any day. :)

FuzzyBlackWaves
September 5th, 2017, 06:15 AM
Length for me!

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2017, 06:18 AM
I think I remember a thread asking the same thing in the Poll boards.
Anyhow, my hair is fine, which makes it ii thickness, despite there being a lot of it, so I don't really mind having an average thickness.
I don't really appreciate short thick hair, it's just average hair to me, something anyone can have, and don't see thick short hair as prettier than average or thin short hair. Might even think a short cut looks even cuter with finer or thinner hair.
So, definitely length over thickness. Knee length average hair is impressive, APL thick hair (IMO) is not.

Stray_mind
September 5th, 2017, 06:21 AM
No extremes for me. I would like my hair to be a bit thicker than they are, but not extremely thick. And i wouldn't be able to deal with extreme lenght either.

AutobotsAttack
September 5th, 2017, 06:39 AM
I have fine hair, but when completely dry it's extremely fluffy, and thick looking, so I'd opt for more length.

Ophidian
September 5th, 2017, 06:43 AM
A thought is that many of us probably have more control over length than thickness. To an extent we can encourage thickness but a i isn't likely to become a iii unless there is a medical reason for hairloss to begin with or something like that. Whereas if mechanical damage is minimized and hair is kept in decent shape, I think many can achieve what would be thought of as super long hair (by normie standards, not necessarily LHC standards :p).

So to actually answer your question, I would say length over thickness for me personallY, bearing in mind that I currently have thickness but not length so grass being greener and all that :D, but also because I feel like that's something I have more control over and am therefore slightly less likely to obsess about for naught.

Nique1202
September 5th, 2017, 06:49 AM
This really depends on how long the thick hair could grow, and how thick the long hair would be.

If the thick hair could only grow as far as, say, my shoulders? Nah, I need at least tailbone length hair to be happy these days. If the extremely long hair were only a 1-inch circumference ponytail? Then I'd also have to say no, out of personal preference. If given the choice between short-thick, long-thin, and my current hair forever? I'd keep what I have.

Chromis
September 5th, 2017, 07:05 AM
My hair doesn't really grow that thick, so length is what I got!

lapushka
September 5th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Well, realistically you can't get / grow thicker hair. Only when you're deficient, have a body issue (diet) or so. Otherwise you just have the follicles you got from birth and that's all you get.

I think if my hair was a lot thinner, I would personally not go as long as I'm attempting now, but that's me. I feel it needs to be balanced for me personally. My mom had i/ii hair at the time and grew it out to BSL so obviously the thinner hair didn't bother her (thank goodness, because it looked gorgeous).

Aredhel
September 5th, 2017, 08:01 AM
It's time for a new thread , ladies.
Psst! There are gentlemen on here too...a rare breed but existent.;)

For me, I'd prefer thickness over length if that's something I could choose.

pili
September 5th, 2017, 08:25 AM
I have super thick hair, and I can say from experience that length helps. Big time. Having short, thick, curly hair is frustrating as heck. But at the same time, I love my thickness. I would hate to lose it.

Wavybrunetteuk
September 5th, 2017, 08:52 AM
I'd rather have a thick hemline than long damaged hair, just in my opinion.

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2017, 08:57 AM
I'd rather have a thick hemline than long damaged hair, just in my opinion.

but why would it be damaged?

Wavybrunetteuk
September 5th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Maybe from not trimming it for a long time. My hair is a little damaged at the moment, and I've been debating to myself whether to microtrim it for a while or just let it grow.

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Maybe from not trimming it for a long time. My hair is a little damaged at the moment, and I've been debating to myself whether to microtrim it for a while or just let it grow.

You can get extreme length and not trim, or just do small trims. And you can have thick, short damaged hair. The poll is just short and thick or thinner and longer, I believe, nothing said about the condition of hair.
About your dilemma, I'd try something I haven't done yet (like oiling, or a different shampoo, for example) for a while. If that doesn't work, I'd micro trim. Sometimes my ends become a bit more tangly, and while they look like the rest of my hair, they are harder to manage (they're bleached).
If you do decide to grow, though, and your hair is long enough to wear it up, slightly damaged ends shouldn't really be a problem. Contained hair shouldn't tangle, and they'd remain in the same condition they are now. Then, once you're happy with a certain length, maintain there for a while.

LadyCelestina
September 5th, 2017, 09:20 AM
Definitely extreme length!

Extreme thickness seems like a bummer - you can't do some of the buns, you have to use more products, apparently you can get nape acne in summer (heard from one person with very thick hair) etc.

Wavybrunetteuk
September 5th, 2017, 09:23 AM
You can get extreme length and not trim, or just do small trims. And you can have thick, short damaged hair. The poll is just short and thick or thinner and longer, I believe, nothing said about the condition of hair.
About your dilemma, I'd try something I haven't done yet (like oiling, or a different shampoo, for example) for a while. If that doesn't work, I'd micro trim. Sometimes my ends become a bit more tangly, and while they look like the rest of my hair, they are harder to manage (they're bleached).
If you do decide to grow, though, and your hair is long enough to wear it up, slightly damaged ends shouldn't really be a problem. Contained hair shouldn't tangle, and they'd remain in the same condition they are now. Then, once you're happy with a certain length, maintain there for a while.

Thank you so much for your kind advice

MidnightMoon
September 5th, 2017, 09:30 AM
xd no problem, Wavybrunetteuk , glad to be of help.

Alibran
September 5th, 2017, 11:31 AM
It depends what you mean by 'extreme'. For me, extreme length is past classic, and extreme thickness is what I've got! I can live with the thickness, although I think my curly hair would look better (have more room to really show off its curls) if it wasn't so thick. I can't imagine myself ever wanting hair past classic length, although being on this forum can lead to 'just another milestone syndrome' :D

I think I'd rather avoid extremes altogether.

I have super thick hair, and I can say from experience that length helps. Big time. Having short, thick, curly hair is frustrating as heck. But at the same time, I love my thickness. I would hate to lose it.

Really? My experience is that long, thick, curly hair is way more difficult to deal with than the short equivalent. But my 'short' is pixie ... daily washing, no styling, dries in minutes - just wash and go.

valkyrie90
September 5th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Well it's really hard for me to decide which is "extreme " since I join LHC. Back in highschool , there was a girl with classic length hair that dropped my jaw every time she walked by. I though her length was extreme. Turn out not. Same go for thickness. I think one needs balance between the two factors to get beautiful hair. Still I wanna know about you ladies and gentlements' preferences ( sorry I forgot about you, guys. Hehe ) . Let's say both are healthy , what'd you rather go for ? Too much thickness can be the pain in the a$$ haha still I don't think I get enough thickness. For length I go with WL now but might change to TBL later once I reach WL. Truth be told , thickness is useless without some length .

Arctic
September 5th, 2017, 11:51 AM
Well extreme either doesn't actually appeal to me. In general when we are not talking about extremes, if I'd have to, I would choose thicker hair over longer hair without a doubt. I think my ideal thickness in my mind might would be around 9-10 cm pony or thereabouts? Borderline ii-iii. How ever in the end, I am pretty happy with my own hair and would be thrilled and most happy if I would get my original thickness/denseness back and would get a guarantee of no hair loss ever. :)

Dark40
September 5th, 2017, 11:55 AM
I would go for length. I already have the thickness.

adrenaline
September 5th, 2017, 01:27 PM
Thickness for me ;)

pili
September 5th, 2017, 01:42 PM
It depends what you mean by 'extreme'. For me, extreme length is past classic, and extreme thickness is what I've got! I can live with the thickness, although I think my curly hair would look better (have more room to really show off its curls) if it wasn't so thick. I can't imagine myself ever wanting hair past classic length, although being on this forum can lead to 'just another milestone syndrome' :D

Really? My experience is that long, thick, curly hair is way more difficult to deal with than the short equivalent. But my 'short' is pixie ... daily washing, no styling, dries in minutes - just wash and go.

That Pixie in my sig took WORK. It was no less work than shoulder, required trims every three weeks and was poofy and had to be thinned. My curl is looser than yours and I have extremely coarse hair. It grows frizzy and sideways. Length makes it behave.

HeartofHaleth
September 5th, 2017, 01:54 PM
Hmm...I'm not sure I like the sound of "extreme" anything* :?...I wouldn't say no to a little more thickness, but overall I content myself with what I've got, so I guess if I had to choose...Length? As long as I still get to experience the growing journey!

*please note that the LHC has warped my mind to the point where "extreme length" conjures up images of hair twice again as long as I am tall :p I would be thrilled to be able to achieve the lengths of our most superlonghaired members!

Chromis
September 5th, 2017, 03:13 PM
Hmm...I'm not sure I like the sound of "extreme" anything* :?...I wouldn't say no to a little more thickness, but overall I content myself with what I've got, so I guess if I had to choose...Length? As long as I still get to experience the growing journey!

*please note that the LHC has warped my mind to the point where "extreme length" conjures up images of hair twice again as long as I am tall :p I would be thrilled to be able to achieve the lengths of our most superlonghaired members!

Haha I was just pondering that according to several posters in this thread I must already have "extreme hair". Doesn't feel all that extreme :laugh:

Sarahlabyrinth
September 5th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Haha I was just pondering that according to several posters in this thread I must already have "extreme hair". Doesn't feel all that extreme :laugh:

Only on LHC... :p

I would probably go for length, myself, but then my hair is on the thicker side.

Alibran
September 5th, 2017, 03:35 PM
That Pixie in my sig took WORK. It was no less work than shoulder, required trims every three weeks and was poofy and had to be thinned. My curl is looser than yours and I have extremely coarse hair. It grows frizzy and sideways. Length makes it behave.

This was my pixie. Of course it needed cutting every few weeks, but that was money rather than work, and a chance for a nice chat with my stylist. In between times, it literally was wash and go. The longest my hair has ever been is classic, and it still grew frizzy and sideways. I've never found a length where it behaves.

http://wordsabouteverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/me-summer-2015-small.jpg

Corvana
September 5th, 2017, 04:41 PM
This really depends on how long the thick hair could grow, and how thick the long hair would be.

If the thick hair could only grow as far as, say, my shoulders? Nah, I need at least tailbone length hair to be happy these days. If the extremely long hair were only a 1-inch circumference ponytail? Then I'd also have to say no, out of personal preference. If given the choice between short-thick, long-thin, and my current hair forever? I'd keep what I have.

This for me, exactly. And how thick the thick hair would be, on top of that! If it's a 7" pony circumference, then NO THANKS, especially if it's not able to go longer than like BSL. You can't really do much with that, the hair is too thick.

I don't know if I'd want extreme length by LHC standards, I've been looking at FTL as my super-longest goal. But as I haven't gotten past waist in the past couple decades, and definitely not since properly caring for it, I honestly don't know where I'll want to stop. I'm appreciating the journey as best as I can, and learning to love my hair as it is.

But if the thick hair is only maybe 5" circ, and can get to hip or a bit longer? I'd pick that. If it's thicker, or can't grow that long, then I'll just stick with what I've got, or I guess go for the length? I know it's an either or scenario, but I'm so much less dissatisfied by my actual hair now, and since I know it can grow at least to waist, I want to change it (except maybe color) much less. The only thing I really want is a touch more thickness (a solid 4" pony, up from my 3.5"), and more red in my hair (which henna can give me).

Cherriezzzzz
September 5th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Length, I have the thickness.... I envy long "normal to thin" haired people!

Cherriezzzzz
September 5th, 2017, 05:44 PM

A pixie is an extremely short length though! So that "extremist" hair is still in there... I cut my very thick hair to just below collar bone, and I've not so much as trimmed it since! Shorter hair (in the non extreme short length) is much harder to care for then long for me also!

divinedobbie
September 5th, 2017, 05:53 PM
I don't really think I could pick one, like others have said before me it depends how thick is extreme thick and how long could this thick hair get, and how long is extreme length and how thin would it be?

I think there has to be a balance. I wouldn't want really thick air if I could only have it chin length or even APL. But I also don't want floor length hair whether it's thin or not. The longest I would ever go is classic and really I'd want to only go as far as TBL.

Arciela
September 5th, 2017, 06:44 PM
I have both and it can be a bit of a pain to manage. Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

If I had to pick one..I think it would be length though!

Crystawni
September 5th, 2017, 07:07 PM
I don't have an answer because the question is just like asking, how long is a piece of string?

How thick is extreme?
How long is extreme?

*looks to the moon...*

Actually, as I'm happy with what I've got (and have had and will have), I'm going with neither. Extreme thickness or length would be excessive.

Ligeia Noire
September 5th, 2017, 08:49 PM
Well, thickness for me, actually that is the only thing that might keep me from floor length. But then again before thickness or length healthy hair all the way right?

Jo Ann
September 5th, 2017, 10:09 PM
I'm still happy with my thickness, so length it is! :)

ravenheather
September 6th, 2017, 06:59 AM
Before lhc I would have said thickness. Now I would prefer length. I am on the thin side of average. Long haired beauty like maria asa and aspen song have taught me that long hair does not need to be thick to be beautiful, as long as it is healthy and well taken care of.

truepeacenik
September 6th, 2017, 07:09 AM
I'm in a stall. I like my thickness through 80 percent of my length.
So, I want length. Knee is sooooooo close and sooooooo far.

I want to point out that pili has freaking amazing hair in person. And she's got this amazingly cute face and face shape to go with it.

Natashap
September 6th, 2017, 07:39 AM
I would vote for extreme thickness always than extreme length.

marvel-lover
September 6th, 2017, 08:15 AM
I would be fine with extreme thickness. I really love my thick hair, and I don't want extremely long hair anyway. I think it's gorgeous, don't get me wrong! But I'm probably going to tap out around TBL.

pili
September 6th, 2017, 08:33 AM
This was my pixie. Of course it needed cutting every few weeks, but that was money rather than work, and a chance for a nice chat with my stylist. In between times, it literally was wash and go. The longest my hair has ever been is classic, and it still grew frizzy and sideways. I've never found a length where it behaves.

http://wordsabouteverything.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/me-summer-2015-small.jpg

My pixie was never wash and go. I still needed product because it would never lay flat, and with product it would take hours to dry. I cut it because we moved to a very cold climate (among other reasons), and I wanted it to dry fast. It didn't. Four plus hours in -30 degrees F.

I'm in a stall. I like my thickness through 80 percent of my length.
So, I want length. Knee is sooooooo close and sooooooo far.

I want to point out that pili has freaking amazing hair in person. And she's got this amazingly cute face and face shape to go with it.
Thank you! You are making me blush. :flower:

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2017, 10:47 AM
Very interesting question! When I first discovered LHC I would have said thickness, no doubt about it - I LOVE seeing head-eating buns and really really wanted to be able to do them. (I know thinner hair can be head-eating with the more spread out styles, but only with loads of pins - no thanks!) But now I appreciate that my own thickness (~3.5") is actually quite easy to handle! For instance, I can scalp wash with my length just wrapped around my hand, buns aren't too heavy, and my hair always dries overnight after a full wash - and dries out fairly quickly if caught in the rain. Plus, I can get away with short sticks and sometimes smaller hairtoys which are often slightly cheaper!

The main irritation I have with my current thickness is the taper; after the first full twist it shrinks to probably about 2" because of growing out face-framing layers/shaping. Once the thickness catches up with my length (in the distant future!) I think the odd problems caused by the taper will be solved. I hope.

To summarise: length!

lucid
September 6th, 2017, 10:52 AM
Definitely length.

I would still keep my hair long, and extremely thick hair seems to be a lot of work. I see a lot of people with normal thick hair complain about it being too warm, too heavy, taking half a day to air dry, so I can't really imagine what extremely thick hair would be like...

lapushka
September 7th, 2017, 06:51 AM
My pixie was never wash and go. I still needed product because it would never lay flat, and with product it would take hours to dry. I cut it because we moved to a very cold climate (among other reasons), and I wanted it to dry fast. It didn't. Four plus hours in -30 degrees F.

I had one of those "difficult" pixies too. It stuck out all over the place once I'd slept on it, so I'd always have to wet it down in the morning and blow dry it (stubborn cowlicks). Short hair isn't always the easier route!

spidermom
September 7th, 2017, 08:17 AM
When I first joined LHC, I was all about both. I wanted length but kept trimming to maintain thickness. It took about 10 years to reach my goal of classic length.

Now - I guess I'm more about the thickness. I'm enjoying having my hair much shorter. It's so easy and fun!

cowgirllong
September 7th, 2017, 08:54 AM
I would definitely go for the length. To me, thickness is not everything. And I am currently at classic length, so I am not just longing for length here.

It took me forever to be able to accomplish some buns when my hair was shorter. My thickness meant I needed more length to do them. It was pretty frustrating. However, length can keep you from doing some hair styles. There are Pros and Cons on both sides.

ShahMat
September 15th, 2017, 11:32 PM
Uhm, thickness is something many longhaired people aim for, but I've learnt from this forum that thin hair can be beautiful too, so I would go for extreme lenght

restless
September 16th, 2017, 02:37 AM
Hm... neither actually. Im happy with the length nowadays (maintaining at hip, so nothing "extreme" there) and handling really thick hair seems like a pain, so... :shrug:

pandabarrier
September 16th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I initially thought I would want extreme thickness, because my hair isn't that thick, but it probably would be difficult for me to wash the scalp and keep it clean with so much hair on the way, so I would prefer extreme length.

Reyn127
September 16th, 2017, 05:34 PM
I think I would pick extreme length. Maybe it's because my hair is already pretty thick, but extreme length just has a more attainable potential, so I am more drawn to it.

Nefcerka
March 12th, 2024, 09:33 AM
If I had to choose between very long (TBL and more) but thin hair and very thick but short (APL or less) hair, I´d go for the very thick hair. Unfortunately, I´m stuck with the former option IRL.

Hairy-Fairy
March 12th, 2024, 03:20 PM
I would rather have extreme length. Thinner hair would be easier and faster to detangle anyway (I think). My hair type allows me to fake thickness to a certain extent but it swallows up length very easily. If it was extremely long, I could fake thick short hair if I really wanted my hair to look thick or I could just have longer, thinner hair.

LittleQuill
March 12th, 2024, 09:24 PM
I would rather have extreme length. Thinner hair would be easier and faster to detangle anyway.

In my opinion, not really. My hair's pretty thin, and about tailbone/classic length and I spend ages detangling it if it's wash day or left in a lazy non-protective style. I'll even think I've got it nicely detangled and go in with a few more swipes, and I'll still find a knot or two. My hair loves itself. And lint. It definitely loves lint. Sure, it's easier in the way of effectiveness with tools, as I don't so much have to worry about sectioning off for them to be effective, but I wouldn't say detangling it is easier and faster. Especially not when it's really long.

To chime in to the post, length for sure. I like having finer hair. I'm a tiny girlie (barely 5'1), so I think having thick hair would make me look like a haystack. :silly:

Hairy-Fairy
March 13th, 2024, 12:27 AM
In my opinion, not really. My hair's pretty thin, and about tailbone/classic length and I spend ages detangling it if it's wash day or left in a lazy non-protective style. I'll even think I've got it nicely detangled and go in with a few more swipes, and I'll still find a knot or two. My hair loves itself. And lint. It definitely loves lint. Sure, it's easier in the way of effectiveness with tools, as I don't so much have to worry about sectioning off for them to be effective, but I wouldn't say detangling it is easier and faster. Especially not when it's really long.

To chime in to the post, length for sure. I like having finer hair. I'm a tiny girlie (barely 5'1), so I think having thick hair would make me look like a haystack. :silly:

My assumption that my hair being thinner would make it easier and faster to detangle is based purely on handling a head of hair of someone with a similar texture but far thicker than my own and finding it more much more challenging to work with. I can understand how that could not be the case though. (It could also just be a matter of being used to what's on my own head.) I wasn't trying to imply that people with thinner hair have it easier.

embee
March 13th, 2024, 06:13 AM
I already have rather thin hair, although thickness is growing back down. I'm happy enough with the thickness I (should) have but would appreciate that thickness moving down the length a bit quicker than it is. What I'd love is a bit of wave throughout and less female pattern thinning at the front.

Oh well, it is what it is, and it's long. Longer than most anyone I know around here. It's *almost* what I always wanted. :)

Chasemi
March 13th, 2024, 08:30 AM
I've been thinking about this one for a few days now, and it would kind of depend on what the extremes were. My brother has a ponytail thickness of nearly 8 inches.... I'll pass on that - though his hair is gorgeous and he wears it long. Extreme length is tough too, because I wouldn't want for length hair personally, but classic would be okay. Ultimately, I think I'd pick length. Thinner, longer hair can do more updos, plus I liked that someone pointed out that you can hide the thinness of your hair but not the length

lapushka
March 13th, 2024, 09:58 AM
Does it *have to be* extreme anything? LOL

Anyway, having thick hair for sure makes one think. I have no clue what I'd prefer, but first I complained of my thick hair while all the world around me seemed to like/envy me for it. But man, taking care of this heaping mane certainly is of a different caliber, for real. I would rather, maybe have long hair, but long & thin also is not the ideal combo, had it as due to protective styling about 75% of my mid-lengths were gone. So I'm not sure what I'd prefer TBH.

Bri-Chan
March 13th, 2024, 04:20 PM
Extreme thickness. As someone with thinnish hair, thickness is my first choice.

Rainbouu
March 16th, 2024, 11:42 PM
I'd go for extreme length. I used to be so self conscious of my hair, but now I absolutely love its texture and thickness, or lack thereof. I'm 5'0 so hopefully it won't take as much for me relative to my height lol.

nitagurl
March 17th, 2024, 06:25 AM
My hair has been thick all my life, and now I have three daughters with unreasonably thick hair.

I'm tired of breaking combs. I'm sick of finding brush bristles in my hair. I'd choose length over thickness any day!

nitagurl
March 17th, 2024, 06:32 AM
I would rather have extreme length. Thinner hair would be easier and faster to detangle anyway (I think).

I 100% agree.

The one time I've had "thin" hair was when I flat ironed the life out of it for a year straight and it was so heat damaged that the curls were as loose as ever. That was the very first time it took less than 30 minutes to wash and detangle my hair (I timed it, it used to take 2 hours before that). So thinner hair would absolutely be easier to detangle. I imagine that its easy to disagree if you already have thin hair? So you can speculate that long thin hair would still be hard to deal with. But speaking from experience, it's a no from me lol. Long and thick versus long and thin isn't even a comparison. I'll take the boneless strands TODAY over this thick stuff lol.

tuanyiji
March 18th, 2024, 01:29 PM
if I can double my thickness, I am more than willing to cut my length in half.

aloewurly
March 18th, 2024, 02:57 PM
I would rather have length. My hair is coarse enough as it is, can't imagine managing anything thicker.

Bat
March 20th, 2024, 02:16 AM
Mines pretty thick too , I'd go with extreme length if I stop doing stuff to it

vanillacake
March 22nd, 2024, 11:51 AM
Length! When hair is long, the length can compensate for lack of thickness in an updo, especially if much longer than the average length of hair.

lithostoic
March 23rd, 2024, 04:21 PM
Extreme length. Though I've always wanted thicker hair, extreme thickness would be too hard for me to manage.

Dark40
March 24th, 2024, 10:11 AM
I'm all for hair health and both extreme length and thickness. My hair has been long and thick all of my life. So, I've always embraced both the thickness and the length of my hair.